Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Chromatics albums are going up on price on discogs since they announced they were done. What are the odds of a commemorative repress set i wonder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

CaptainBeefart posted:

I was already on the fence about going to Pitchfork for Sunday but I'm bowing out at this point. Not looking forward to telling my friends.

Small consolation is that virtually every Chicago venue is requiring proof of vaccination or negative test within 48-72 hours of the show, plus requiring masking.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

Read After Burning posted:

Hey, speaking of Animal Collective and MPP....maybe someone here can help me, since there's a lot of indie loves here. It's a long-shot since my description is vague, but...

At the same time I discovered "My Girls" from that album, I was listening to another indie song that came out around the same time (2008/2009). It had a sort of Fleet Foxes sound to it, but it wasn't them...all I remember is the music video featured a snowy landscape (Alaska?) with sled dogs pulling a sled running across it. It was a very sad-sounding song (yes, I know, it's indie, it all sounds sad), possibly something about apologizing or feeling guilty. Sorry if this is vague, but that's all I remember and it's driving me nuts. Argh!

Portugal. The Man’s “Sleep Forever”?

https://youtu.be/jieN2Hp5hS4

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Mt. Modular posted:

Portugal. The Man’s “Sleep Forever”?

https://youtu.be/jieN2Hp5hS4

Huh, that's definitely not it, even though it's from the same time period! Apparently there are at least three different "sad indie song with sled dog imagery" videos out there...

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

Huh, that's definitely not it, even though it's from the same time period! Apparently there are at least three different "sad indie song with sled dog imagery" videos out there...

Hah! I had no idea the end-of-the-decade sad-sled-dog genre was so robust.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The Walrus posted:

Chromatics albums are going up on price on discogs since they announced they were done. What are the odds of a commemorative repress set i wonder

Probably pretty high. The only things I can remember not getting repressed is like the Drive soundtrack sampler and stuff that wasn’t as popular.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
house to myself tonight, ripped a bowl and am now playing this at a very high volume, I'm on another planet

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

So. I'm taking some records on a little field trip tomorrow evening. If you are in the Portland area I'll be playing some tunes over at Prospector Records from 5-7. Not only do they have a fine selection of vinyl, but they also have vintage shirts, vhs tapes and other cool stuff. Oh yeah. They have a.c. too.

For an idea of what I might be playing you can check out my mixcloud. https://www.mixcloud.com/mawesome/

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Barry posted:

Do yourself a favor and don't look at the price of a Shure M97XE.

Yo what the gently caress.

I got mine in 2012-ish for $50. The hell happened?

Might as well make a mean profit if it's just laying around in my closet.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Mt. Modular posted:

Hah! I had no idea the end-of-the-decade sad-sled-dog genre was so robust.

Happens at the close of every decade, but with the flair owing to the particular time. For instance, the end of the 80s brought us By-Tor the Snow Dog, and Zappa's various eskimo/sled dog offerings. It was a simpler, more carefree time.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 12, 2021

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

The Walrus posted:

Somewhere down the line I’m sure but they aren’t even bothering to sell LP preorders for anything new currently with how hard it is to get anything pressed. I don’t imagine it will be any time soon and if the breakup is as acrimonious as it seems who knows what the legal situation will be like.

I feel like half of my posts in this thread are of Chromatics albums. I am very sad IRL

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I keep seeing Garth Brooks stuff. Aside from seeing the LPs all over the place today I was in a thrift store and saw a Garth Brooks CD. I blame every single one of you.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CPL593H posted:

I keep seeing Garth Brooks stuff. Aside from seeing the LPs all over the place today I was in a thrift store and saw a Garth Brooks CD. I blame every single one of you.

Garth Brooks is talented as poo poo. It could be worse. We could have latched on to Smash Mouth and then we’d all be walkin’ on the Sun.

mouth eat the eggs

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Somewhere down the line I’m sure but they aren’t even bothering to sell LP preorders for anything new currently with how hard it is to get anything pressed. I don’t imagine it will be any time soon and if the breakup is as acrimonious as it seems who knows what the legal situation will be like.

I feel like half of my posts in this thread are of Chromatics albums. I am very sad IRL

welp picked up the three big ones for all told just under 200 CDN. Pricy but the cheapest I could get and it's only gonna go up from here I would bet.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Still going through everything my mom acquired over the years. This Radiohead jukebox single is pretty neat, but this warping (?) on the side means its pretty much borked, right?

It's a shame, too. The green looks really nice IRL; pics don't really do it justice

EDIT: sorry, forgot to mention that I tried it on my turntable and the needle just sorta falls off when it hits that spot

chibi luda fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 12, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

Still going through everything my mom acquired over the years. This Radiohead jukebox single is pretty neat, but this warping (?) on the side means its pretty much borked, right?

It's a shame, too. The green looks really nice IRL; pics don't really do it justice

EDIT: sorry, forgot to mention that I tried it on my turntable and the needle just sorta falls off when it hits that spot

Is your mom like 40 years old?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

pwn posted:

Garth Brooks is talented as poo poo. It could be worse. We could have latched on to Smash Mouth and then we’d all be walkin’ on the Sun.

mouth eat the eggs

Don't retraumatize me like that

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

BigFactory posted:

Is your mom like 40 years old?

lmao, you'd think so with the stuff I've been posting right?

Honestly, she just loves accumulating things. I don't want to use the term "hoarder" because it was never at the level you see on those tv shows and it was never, like, piles of uneaten food but she definitely has had cluttered surroundings all of my life. But yeah whenever she's at a garage sale or a thrift shop and sees literally anything that catches her eye she grabs it. So the collection is a lot of rock from late 60s-early 80s and then just a complete mishmash of misc. stuff.

Like all of us, I think the pandemic has done a number on her mental health, and one of her ways of trying to feel better is decluttering and getting rid of a lot of stuff she doesn't need (as an aside I'm very proud of her because she has been very hesitant to do this in the past). My wife and I bought a house recently and our living room has our listening setup and tons of newfound shelf space for vinyl. So we have officially inherited this collection that's been acquired over decades.

In a similar vein, my wife's grandfather also gave us all of his old LPs from when he managed a jazz station in Newark in the 60s. They have clearly seen heavy use, but it's neat to see all the "for radio use only - not for resale" stampings on the sleeves and such. We also found on one of the sleeves someone's Chinese delivery order written in pencil

Nice to have stuff with family connections :unsmith:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Dang that’s a fairly rare-ish find too. Minimum is $30, maximum is $70 on Discogs. Doesn’t look like a vinyl flattening would do much either and probably just damage it further.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I feel like as a dude who's vaccinated, works alone and never took the mask off even when the mandate dropped (which is being reinstated tomorrow anyway), I'm the kind of dude who can risk going to Pitchfork, but it's everyone else who are getting poo poo cancelled left and right.

...yeah, the Residents tour got shitcanned for a third time :smith:

(Apparently there will still be three Cali shows, at least.)

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 12, 2021

marjorie
May 4, 2014

caligulamprey posted:

...yeah, the Residents tour got shitcanned for a third time :smith:

(Apparently there will still be three Cali shows, at least.)

Wait for real? I just saw a post a day or so ago from the Wonder hyping it, and don't see any emails about it being cancelled.

Ugh, well, I guess that does free me up to see my buddy's band play that same night.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

marjorie posted:

Wait for real? I just saw a post a day or so ago from the Wonder hyping it, and don't see any emails about it being cancelled.
Yeah, Wonder shut down ticket sales yesterday and the majority of the schedule was wiped. Theoretically I'm still going to SF and Santa Cruz, but it's still a downgrade from the five shows I was planning to see and I won't be surprised if it all goes down.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

caligulamprey posted:

Yeah, Wonder shut down ticket sales yesterday and the majority of the schedule was wiped. Theoretically I'm still going to SF and Santa Cruz, but it's still a downgrade from the five shows I was planning to see and I won't be surprised if it all goes down.

Ah, drat, thanks for the link. I mean, I get it, but it still sucks.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

marjorie posted:

it still sucks.
It's a mega bummer 'cause this was going to be the 50th anniversary tour and they were doing it up right. Even hired the production designer who did the Cube E, Wormwood and Bunny Boy tours. Dude kills it every time:

Oh well. People hosed around and found out, I guess. :bang:

EDIT: just now they shot out a press release stating their full intention of playing those Cali shows. And are apparently working on a project about the Estonian Singing Revolution of 1987. :unsmith:

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 12, 2021

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Goddamn that show would've been beautiful. Fingers crossed for you that they keep up the CA shows.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
That sucks about the Residents show. poo poo I bought tickets to shows in September that I'm hoping I wasn't too optimistic about the state of things, and have one this October that was supposed to happen last year that hopefully is still gonna occur. Anyways guess who realized his poo poo's been out of print for a couple of decades?

I am a bad fangirl because I didn't spring for the $90 boxset and only got the regular edition. Which technically I don't need even this; I do have the original CDs for both his albums. I believe I read that there are plans to reissue the other one (Another World) as well and I will probably still get it even though I don't like it as much as Back to the Light. Not pictured is a reissue of Queen - Hot Space that also came in the mail today but that is neither here nor there.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Turbinosamente posted:

That sucks about the Residents show. poo poo I bought tickets to shows in September that I'm hoping I wasn't too optimistic about the state of things, and have one this October that was supposed to happen last year that hopefully is still gonna occur. Anyways guess who realized his poo poo's been out of print for a couple of decades?

I am a bad fangirl because I didn't spring for the $90 boxset and only got the regular edition. Which technically I don't need even this; I do have the original CDs for both his albums. I believe I read that there are plans to reissue the other one (Another World) as well and I will probably still get it even though I don't like it as much as Back to the Light. Not pictured is a reissue of Queen - Hot Space that also came in the mail today but that is neither here nor there.

Wow, I never even knew Brian had a solo album, that's great!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

petit choux posted:

Wow, I never even knew Brian had a solo album, that's great!

Two actually, though wikipedia counts a collab that he did with someone else as a 3rd "solo" album. I'm also nuts enough that I have a boot leg disc of Star Fleet Project as well. Van Halen's on Starfleet as well, and I'm pretty sure the whole thing is the result of him getting bored in 1983 and having a jam session with friends and bothering to record it.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Turbinosamente posted:

Two actually, though wikipedia counts a collab that he did with someone else as a 3rd "solo" album. I'm also nuts enough that I have a boot leg disc of Star Fleet Project as well. Van Halen's on Starfleet as well, and I'm pretty sure the whole thing is the result of him getting bored in 1983 and having a jam session with friends and bothering to record it.

OMG that brings up memories. I listened to that in about 84. Doing bong hits in a dorm room and listening to that, Sig Sig Sputnik, and Nightranger. Watching my bud nail the totally awesome solo in "Don't Tell me you Love Me" note for note.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

petit choux posted:

OMG that brings up memories. I listened to that in about 84. Doing bong hits in a dorm room and listening to that, Sig Sig Sputnik, and Nightranger. Watching my bud nail the totally awesome solo in "Don't Tell me you Love Me" note for note.

Welp, I was listening to it on youtube and now have accidentally ordered a proper vinyl version of it from Japan along with a ton of other cool poo poo. When I said bootleg disc before I meant CD, btw, that has random poo poo from Back to the Light crammed on it too. At least international DHL gets here super fast? And I could not get into Sigue Sigue Sputnik, I found and sold a CD of them a long time ago. Was a shame because I really dug the album artwork, I'm a sucker for old mechs.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
that sucks about chromatics. looking at the prices for my variants of cherry and kill for love makes me glad I decided it was worth the international shipping cost from IDIB a few years ago

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Anybody have any experience with glow-in-the-dark vinyl? That's a particular gimmick I have no interest in, but that's the only variant being offered for this vaporwave album...so I wanted to check first that it doesn't gently caress with the sound much. I'm definitely no audiophile, but if there's a noticeable difference, I'll pass on this one.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Anybody have any experience with glow-in-the-dark vinyl? That's a particular gimmick I have no interest in, but that's the only variant being offered for this vaporwave album...so I wanted to check first that it doesn't gently caress with the sound much. I'm definitely no audiophile, but if there's a noticeable difference, I'll pass on this one.

It's already a gigantic waste of money and if its release is anything like other vaporwave LPs you'll probably never see it anyway. Have at it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I only have 1 glow in the dark record and it’s the XFiles soundtrack from the last RSD. It sounds good. No real big issues to report.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
To be honest I don't think I have run across a color variant record that was any worse than normal black. I've had a record store clerk rant at me about how tri-color records are bad and horrible because of the transition between the colors or some poo poo, but both my Contra and Who at Monterey sound fine to me, as does every other silly color pattern I own. :shrug:

I've never tried to play a picture disc though since I hear that can be dicey at times. Good thing I only own one by accident.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The thing about colored discs inherently sounding worse is something of a myth. It basically because they releases would sometimes have worse quality control than their standard counterparts. Some pressing plants just suck. Or they were from left over vinyl that was literally swept off the floor. For those unaware, records start their lives as little beads and which are then melted into the hockey puck shaped thing that gets pressed. Anyway with quality control being dogshit all across the board it really doesn't matter anymore. I have a whole bunch of novelty colored discs that sound great and black discs that sound like poo poo. I have the colored vinyl version of the Flaming Lips 1991-2002 box set Warner put out about 12 years ago and they're some of the best sounding records in my collection. But that's no surprise because Warner/Rhino was doing really good poo poo at that time and much of those releases were all analog pressings. This is one of many ways the "vinyl revival" has hosed everything up because the big labels are all about quantity not quality. You don't get poo poo like that anymore and you certainly don't get it at those prices.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Claude is telling me that my taste in music is trash, vinyl is trash, and West Side Story is Sondheim's weakest work

He might be right tbh

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Claude is telling me that my taste in music is trash, vinyl is trash, and West Side Story is Sondheim's weakest work

He might be right tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjJMgCSEcS0

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Claude is a good cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I have the Batman Forever soundtrack. It’s possibly one of my most played records because it’s such a weird collection of songs that absolutely do not go together. Also because it was my first Batman movie and it hits all those nostalgia buttons for me.

‘Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me’ is U2’s best song (closely followed by the remix of 'Elevation’ from the Tomb Raider soundtrack).