Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's mostly a Sea Moth problem, as it was actually too good at literally everything and ruined the flow of progression. Prior to BZ I had expressed my opinion that the game would have been marginally better if you where forced to stick with the SeaGlide for longer, to really drive in the dangers of depth/monsters/o2. BZ did an interesting take with the initial truck being a mini-moth (but infinitely less cool) so I guess I got to see how that worked out.

There's still a sadistic side of me that wishes that vehicle o2 generation pulled from your power supply, just to give more of a sense of unease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Yestermoment posted:

I know I'm probably Playing Wrong, but I honestly never even built the cyclops until I HAD to to make the escape rocket. Clunking around in just the prawn (Or as I call him, Crab Manager) was enough for me. Although I'm like this in real life too. Never ask me to drive a moving van.

If I had it my way, I would have never given up the sea moth.

Yeah I love the cyclops, but I also often used the seamoth for every possible shred of the map it could reach before using the cyclops as anything but a surface level parking garage. I also had a tendency to seaglide to reckless depths and always keep a flotation device with me.

Granted I also started taking a longer route to a farther cave layer entrance that always felt easier to navigate the cyclops through towards the tree cove due to "All these closer routes are a pain in the rear end for the cyclops"

A big thing to remember to give the cyclops another chance is that the cyclops lets you explore longer and farther with your Seamoth and prawn, is the thing. You will never be able to do as much in one trip with the seamoth or prawn without sighing and having to turn around and go home as you can with just zipping back to the cyclops to empty out your inventory and maybe grab or fabricate more snacks.

In particular if you have any intention of using the prawn drill to get any resources but Kyanite for progression reasons (Is there still a chance for ZERO kyanite from nodes?) and ion crystal nodes. So even if you hate the cyclops, try building one just to cruise around shallow depths to improve your seamoth and prawn experience.

The sea truck is so limited even when you unlock everything, that you just don't get that "Make my Seamoth and prawn life better" experience the Cyclops brings as a mobile home. It encouraged spending more time exploring the exploration game rather than spending a lot of your time U turning back to the nearest base.

Serephina posted:

That's mostly a Sea Moth problem, as it was actually too good at literally everything and ruined the flow of progression. Prior to BZ I had expressed my opinion that the game would have been marginally better if you where forced to stick with the SeaGlide for longer, to really drive in the dangers of depth/monsters/o2. BZ did an interesting take with the initial truck being a mini-moth (but infinitely less cool) so I guess I got to see how that worked out.

There's still a sadistic side of me that wishes that vehicle o2 generation pulled from your power supply, just to give more of a sense of unease.
A big thing I realized is that BZ gives you guaranteed access to basic battery charger and it is (usually) easier to find a power cell charger.

While in the base game where I would in many re-playthroughs have the power cell chargers but still no battery charger :v: One of my stand out runs of that variety was also a "Takes forever to get a laser cutter" run and cracking open a sealed room chock full of laser cutter and battery charger fragments. So that probably adds a lot of cushioning to the BZ early game experience.

Of course I also had my fair share of "I'll just take the seaglide down so deep I'm constantly almost drowning-ooh, blood oil" base game runs stubbornly not using the seamoth even if I had both the battery and cell charger.

Making more options cool >>> "This option is kind of poo poo but it's for balance reasons we swear." because then you have incentive to use all of your toys all the time.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Aug 6, 2021

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Best thing I love about the cyclops is being able to build poo poo on the inside. Make an indoor grow bed and fill it with marblemelons and never worry bout food/water again while in the field.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
The cyclops is one of the best vehicles in all of videogames. There need to be more games built around the concept of a customizable mobile base.

EDIT: Maybe this will be starfield?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The cyclops feels like it was built for a multiplayer game, there are several pieces of critical info that essentially requires you to stop driving it in order to check.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Section Z posted:

A big thing I realized is that BZ gives you guaranteed access to basic battery charger and it is (usually) easier to find a power cell charger.

While in the base game where I would in many re-playthroughs have the power cell chargers but still no battery charger :v: One of my stand out runs of that variety was also a "Takes forever to get a laser cutter" run and cracking open a sealed room chock full of laser cutter and battery charger fragments. So that probably adds a lot of cushioning to the BZ early game experience.

Of course I also had my fair share of "I'll just take the seaglide down so deep I'm constantly almost drowning-ooh, blood oil" base game runs stubbornly not using the seamoth even if I had both the battery and cell charger.

Making more options cool >>> "This option is kind of poo poo but it's for balance reasons we swear." because then you have incentive to use all of your toys all the time.

In BZ I think they discarded the random generation of most of the fragments so a lot of the scannable equipment was pre-placed in the various bases. I think at least two bases have powercell chargers in them to scan

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Oasx posted:

The cyclops feels like it was built for a multiplayer game, there are several pieces of critical info that essentially requires you to stop driving it in order to check.

The codex info for it says it’s intended to be used by a three-person crew and only an experienced pilot should try to use it alone

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah I liked that aspect actually. Made me feel like I was piloting a vessel designed for more people but it's just me so I gotta adapt.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Recently did a fully modded Subnautica playthrough, which was way more fun.
Not for the beginner of course, but who doesnt want a 300 slot inventory after playing as many times as I have.
So doing one for BZ now since I havent played it in a few months.
Going for massive inventory, more quick slots, inv mod for the seatruck cab, craft from surrounding inv, more speed and armor upgrades for seatruck, seatruck scanner module (for magnetite searchs) and to finish it off, no seamonkey thefts.

All here
Just start with Qmodmanager
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnauticabelowzero/mods/

e: i liked the mod for SN that gave you stuff like copper coils and chips instead of 2 titanium for previously scanned items but not seeing that for BZ yet if anyone knows of it.

e2: seems there was a mod but was deleted along with some others.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 7, 2021

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Parallelwoody posted:

Yeah I liked that aspect actually. Made me feel like I was piloting a vessel designed for more people but it's just me so I gotta adapt.

Oh yeah! Wasn’t there some message about the cyclops having a large crew requirement? It made it feel overwhelming when poo poo went down and you were trying to run away while fighting fires going silent and launching decoys and having no idea where you were.

The music helped too Abandon Ship is a total slapper.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

OgNar posted:

Recently did a fully modded Subnautica playthrough, which was way more fun.
Not for the beginner of course, but who doesnt want a 300 slot inventory after playing as many times as I have.

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnauticabelowzero/mods/

drat, really wish I'd thought to look up mods when I played either game lol. QOL improvements galore! Just making the jukebox not have the metacringe raps would've been great.

May I ask what draws you to replay the game? Between knowing the story + exactly what to get and where, just doesn't seem like a very replayable game at all. Not quite Outer Wilds tier "you can never go home again," but definitely seems like you only get one good hit before you're just smoking resin.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Khanstant posted:

drat, really wish I'd thought to look up mods when I played either game lol. QOL improvements galore! Just making the jukebox not have the metacringe raps would've been great.

May I ask what draws you to replay the game? Between knowing the story + exactly what to get and where, just doesn't seem like a very replayable game at all. Not quite Outer Wilds tier "you can never go home again," but definitely seems like you only get one good hit before you're just smoking resin.

These games just hit that button for me.
The feel of the swimming mostly, but I love the visuals also.
Sadly every time I play I lose an hour of playtime each time because I know where everything is.

Also, does anyone know wth this thing is?
I've only found it in one spot and it isn't interactable/scanable in any way.
Best I can figure is it is something left over and unfinished.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

For me it's building and designing and gathering resources. I just love crafting games and resource management. There are a TON of mods for SN that add nee machines, new crafting things, more base stuff and power stuff, hell even a dock for the cyclops that'll charge the batteries (or you can just go with a nuclear cyclops mod)

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I played this in early access so I know some of the things I'm supposed to do, but I think I'm stuck now.

I have two of the three architect parts and I'm missing the organs. I also have built a snowfox but I don't appear to have anything leading me to any point where the phi station landing pad is.

I know from a previous playthrough in early access that there's a frozen corpse I'm supposed to find, but nothing is guiding me there.

There's also nothing guiding me to the last architect piece.

What am I meant to do at this point in the game? I mean, I know what I'm supposed to do but how am I supposed to find these two things?

I recall the snowfox section was a massive pain in the rear end when I played in early access.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Solutions in spoilers in case you still want to search for this stuff yourself.

Vasler posted:

I have two of the three architect parts and I'm missing the organs. I also have built a snowfox but I don't appear to have anything leading me to any point where the phi station landing pad is.

I know from a previous playthrough in early access that there's a frozen corpse I'm supposed to find, but nothing is guiding me there.

Phi Robotics is southeast of the bridge. If you go past the entrance to Phi Robotics and continue on the path you'll eventually get to the frozen leviathan in a cave next to an open area with a bunch of the frozen trees. There will be a big radar tower thing marking the entrance

quote:

There's also nothing guiding me to the last architect piece.

This one is bit harder to find and I think the hint system is slightly broken pointing you in the right direction. Search the crystal caverns, you can find entrances either in tunnels around Marguerite's underwater base or the area with pink fumaroles and a bunch of lithium everywhere. Crafting the shock defense for your seatruck before heading down there is advisable, as well as maxing out depth upgrades since it's the deepest area in the game.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Crafting the shock defense for your seatruck before heading down there is advisable, as well as maxing out depth upgrades since it's the deepest area in the game.

As far as I know, you get the recipe by picking the one up on the floor of her first base you come to, so no need to ever craft one

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
How safe to download and install / stable is the nitrox multi-player build? A buddy and I bought this after a friend mistakenly recommended it as a replacement for raft after we beat that, not realizing we wanted multi-player. Can nitrox do 3 players?

I did not like the YouTube video I found for the install instructions saying "your anti-virus will flag this as a virus but don't worry" :/

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

sephiRoth IRA posted:

How safe to download and install / stable is the nitrox multi-player build? A buddy and I bought this after a friend mistakenly recommended it as a replacement for raft after we beat that, not realizing we wanted multi-player. Can nitrox do 3 players?

I did not like the YouTube video I found for the install instructions saying "your anti-virus will flag this as a virus but don't worry" :/

It 'seems' safe, ie looking through their forums for it and not seeing any mention of viruses.
Though there seems to be a never ending list of 'i got flung 3 mile out of bounds from my cyclops' bitching.
Or people not being able to connect and various other problems.
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/159/?tab=forum&topic_id=9398338

Also reddit thread here
https://www.reddit.com/r/subnautica/comments/amqfx8/is_nitrox_safe/
Which doesnt say much other than its safe but doesnt work well.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Solutions in spoilers in case you still want to search for this stuff yourself.

Phi Robotics is southeast of the bridge. If you go past the entrance to Phi Robotics and continue on the path you'll eventually get to the frozen leviathan in a cave next to an open area with a bunch of the frozen trees. There will be a big radar tower thing marking the entrance

This one is bit harder to find and I think the hint system is slightly broken pointing you in the right direction. Search the crystal caverns, you can find entrances either in tunnels around Marguerite's underwater base or the area with pink fumaroles and a bunch of lithium everywhere. Crafting the shock defense for your seatruck before heading down there is advisable, as well as maxing out depth upgrades since it's the deepest area in the game.

Thanks for the directions, appreciate it. I have no idea how I missed that cave as I went through the area more than once with my prawn and then again with the snowfox.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Just started this last week and I have been absolutely loving it, except:

I would dearly love a map, even if it only showed beacons and not terrain.

Right click sometime being drop and sometimes doing nothing in menus has hosed me over twice now, especially with how dropped upgrade modules love to just disappear entirely.

And just now in the underground cave ooze river zone I turned around from looting a bunch of nickel to realize my seamoth had clipped 100 meters away into a wall. Presumably there's some cavern it ended up in but nothing remotely accessible to me. So I might just be hosed.

Also, more than five item bar slots would be real nice.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
More quick slots and a map (that you expose via actual exploration) are among the top mods used for the game, on PC at least. Nexus' Vortex addon manager is the go-to afaik.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Eschatos posted:

And just now in the underground cave ooze river zone I turned around from looting a bunch of nickel to realize my seamoth had clipped 100 meters away into a wall. Presumably there's some cavern it ended up in but nothing remotely accessible to me. So I might just be hosed.

This happened to me in the original too, I was very sad, had to drown and make a new seamoth.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

So what's the secret to making it past all the leviathans in the real deep parts? Just bring 20 decoys?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Eschatos posted:

So what's the secret to making it past all the leviathans in the real deep parts? Just bring 20 decoys?

A: Move slowly and make not too much noise. If attacked, turn the sub off, wait a bit, repair, and keep going slowly. Silent running will help but is expensive in terms of power. Noise attracts beasties.

B: Bring along a prawn suit with a grapple and drill arm. Sally forth and smite yon offending beastie.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Complications posted:

A: Move slowly and make not too much noise. If attacked, turn the sub off, wait a bit, repair, and keep going slowly. Silent running will help but is expensive in terms of power. Noise attracts beasties.

B: Bring along a prawn suit with a grapple and drill arm. Sally forth and smite yon offending beastie.

Some aggressive beasts also are attracted to light, so turning off flood lights can help. The map also usually has paths away from the main patrol routes, but they may not be obvious.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
In a seamoth just outmanoeuvre them, in the Cyclops install a shield module and engage it if they get all up in your business.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
The bugzapper upgrade in the sea moth takes care of them. You won’t take much damage if you can time it right, unless they sneak up on you. It can drain power though so it helps if you’ve gotten far enough for the ion power cell upgrade.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Aaaaa! How did I not know about this thread until now?

gently caress I love Subnautica. I hadn't played it until this past May, and I haven't yet played Below Zero, but yeah. Easily one of my top 5 games of all time. Just a beautiful and wondrous experience.

I suck at hardcore, but that doesn't stop me from trying.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Aaaaa! How did I not know about this thread until now?

gently caress I love Subnautica. I hadn't played it until this past May, and I haven't yet played Below Zero, but yeah. Easily one of my top 5 games of all time. Just a beautiful and wondrous experience.

I suck at hardcore, but that doesn't stop me from trying.

poo poo, now I kinda have the urge to try out hardcore.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

uXs posted:

poo poo, now I kinda have the urge to try out hardcore.

It definitely changes your mindset with every action you take. Never used the floating air pump with pipes? Enjoy using them now, because they're SO much more useful. Same with the emergency air bladder thing.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
The floating air pump and pipes are great in the early game when you don’t have ultra high capacity air tanks or a sea moth yet. They’re great for the grasslands where it’s past 100 meters and has some the large wrecks early on that you need to explore for key blueprints. For the longest time I never knew that you could run a pipe from a pump on the surface down to a wreck that gives you a place to refill your oxygen. But once you get a sea moth and start exploring beyond the grasslands it’s no longer needed as much or at all.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 18, 2021

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
In my first game, I spent 15 minutes trying to hook a surface pump up to my t-intersection base and getting super-frustrated that I couldn't get the pipe to link up to some imagined attachment point.

That was one of two times I ever bothered with them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Reminds me of how I thought I needed to add a base air pump to get air to my base.

Welp.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Reminds me of how I thought I needed to add a base air pump to get air to my base.

Welp.

Hard same, I was very frustrated when I found out that it just does the same thing as a floating pump but is distinct for some reason.

Of course that was like four years ago, wild the poo poo one retains

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

LonsomeSon posted:

Hard same, I was very frustrated when I found out that it just does the same thing as a floating pump but is distinct for some reason.

Of course that was like four years ago, wild the poo poo one retains

It's crazy (but neat) how long this game has technically been available. Like I said, I just played it in May, but I'm seeing some LPs of it that are 3-4 years old. Game still feels fresh to me, like it was made this year.

I really need to give BZ a shot. I know it's a different vibe, but I need something.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

It's crazy (but neat) how long this game has technically been available. Like I said, I just played it in May, but I'm seeing some LPs of it that are 3-4 years old. Game still feels fresh to me, like it was made this year.

I really need to give BZ a shot. I know it's a different vibe, but I need something.

BZ is a fine sequel. The story is “eh” for some, I didn’t think it was that bad. First game is definitely better though. The overworld sections are mostly a missed opportunity but there are a few cool areas. The Cyclops is replaced with a modular sea truck that’s also hit and miss. Prawn suit’s back and just as cool. The overworld vehicle, the Snowfox, is utter crap. I quit loving with it and just took my prawn suit instead.

If you like Subnautica and want more, definitely get it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

BZ update, but it just adds some translations and fixes some text.
As far as I see.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Welp, hit a frustrating snag. Loaded up on a MK3 Cyclops depth module and a ton of supplies, headed down into the lava caves further underneath the quarantine facility, to the deeper facility I'd seen before but been unable to get past the leviathan guarding it. Aaand it's immediately locked, looking for a tablet. Well I used my only spare at the secondary door in the quarantine facility to unlock a single console with another lore entry. I assume this isn't actually the thermal power facility mentioned in the clues section of the codex? That says 1200 meters and this is at 1450. I expect there's some other cave network on the map that I should be investigating instead? I'm not aware of any unless I missed a branching path from the acid river caves that the quarantine facility is part of. Can yall offer a hint? Either where that is or where I can find more tablets.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Eschatos posted:

Welp, hit a frustrating snag. Loaded up on a MK3 Cyclops depth module and a ton of supplies, headed down into the lava caves further underneath the quarantine facility, to the deeper facility I'd seen before but been unable to get past the leviathan guarding it. Aaand it's immediately locked, looking for a tablet. Well I used my only spare at the secondary door in the quarantine facility to unlock a single console with another lore entry. I assume this isn't actually the thermal power facility mentioned in the clues section of the codex? That says 1200 meters and this is at 1450. I expect there's some other cave network on the map that I should be investigating instead? I'm not aware of any unless I missed a branching path from the acid river caves that the quarantine facility is part of. Can yall offer a hint? Either where that is or where I can find more tablets.

Yeah, this happened to me. What colour tablet do you need? There's likely a different path that you missed, I think it's around the lava castle. I don't think there's a way to permanently screw yourself over, just a matter of backtracking and finding the right spot before where you are, which is definitely meant to be found afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Eschatos posted:

In the caves there is:

In the Lost River (green spoopy zone) you find the alien facility which got smashed by a leviathan.

In the Inactive Lava Zone which is below that, where both kyanite and the Sea Dragon (big fireball horker) are first found, you find the alien power plant inside of the small mountain of rock in the middle and which contains a blue tablet. Poke around about halfway up it and you should see an alien light marker. This is what I think you missed.

In the Active Lava Zone below that you get a cavern filled with lava, usually a Sea Dragon Leviathan floating around, a bunch of cuboidal 'creature deterrents' which do nothing, and the endgame alien facility.