Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

y’all are all hoping for a collapse but really it’s not going to be something that just happens one day.

every year things will get a bit shittier. maybe some countries will start bombing each other because one country diverted a river. maybe it’ll get too expensive to put gas in your car. drat no avocados at the grocery store much anymore. probably shouldn’t take that trip to California, the wildfires are bad this year. I swear I remember it being cooler this time of year. the grass is all dead in my front lawn. what happened to that beach I went to as a kid. another loving hurricane?

https://gen.medium.com/i-lived-through-collapse-america-is-already-there-ba1e4b54c5fc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, also it started in the 80s

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
one of my coworkers asked if there was something wrong with our website cause she hadn't gotten any job applications lately and we have 14 job postings. I check the CMS, nothing wrong, nothing submitted since August 3rd.

I go on the actual site to see the jobs and all but 1 of them are part time positions listed for $10 an hour or less

edit: there was one for $15 an hour, part time, explicitly states college degree and expierenced required. curiously no applicants for that one either

The Nastier Nate has issued a correction as of 18:23 on Aug 11, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
See also: They Thought They Were Free

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

y’all are all hoping for a collapse but really it’s not going to be something that just happens one day.

every year things will get a bit shittier. maybe some countries will start bombing each other because one country diverted a river. maybe it’ll get too expensive to put gas in your car. drat no avocados at the grocery store much anymore. probably shouldn’t take that trip to California, the wildfires are bad this year. I swear I remember it being cooler this time of year. the grass is all dead in my front lawn. what happened to that beach I went to as a kid. another loving hurricane?

well, I wouldn't say hoping. but yeah, that's the idea. we're already in the process of collapsing, arguably it started before many of us were born. it's probably still possible to arrest that collapse in a meaningful way, but, well, lol

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

i am harry posted:

no way everything's a venn diagram now.

No mate, these aren't excuses, they're legitimate concerns. I participate in plant husbandry and there are some issues anyone who would even try to dabble in growing plants can clearly see:

-Where is the water going to come from?
-Even if you have limitless solar power (arguably many answers to these issues are the opposite of what you're saying people are doing; whitepilled "everything will be fine somehow" bullshit) how do you cool a greenhouse in a 120 degree cloudless day? How do you do it for 4 months?
-Where does all the fertilizer come from because plants can't exist off just oxygenated water alone?

It is possible to say that America currently produces far more feed for cattle and soybeans for export than it does vegetables for human consumption, but that doesn't mean that we could suddenly change that positively. An authoritarian country could mobilize a thousand hydroponic tower warehouses, but this is America and capitalism will not allow that. We can see what tiny stresses on our current systems of capital produce: hospitals that are no-longer places you can safely go, grocery store shelves filled with cardboard box ads to hide the emptiness.

What does industrial agriculture have to do with 70 people foraging wild plants and hunting rodents in some forgotten corner of the biosphere? Did you read my post? Industrial civilization is incredibly fragile and killing 98% of humanity is trivially easy, all that takes is one malfunctioning missile warning satellite. Shattering industrial civilization forever and reducing humans to just one of the smarter animals out there in the jungle isn't the same as total biosphere collapse and the extinction of all complex life.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Chemical fertilizers have never been necessary. Green manures can replace them. The rest is usually cheap mineral inputs like rock phosphate or green sand. Ley farming and manure are ideal for building soil quickly. But green manures can do it just as well.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sylink posted:

Chemical fertilizers have never been necessary. Green manures can replace them. The rest is usually cheap mineral inputs like rock phosphate or green sand. Ley farming and manure are ideal for building soil quickly. But green manures can do it just as well.

As someone who lives in an area whose aquifer has been poisoned by radioactive mine tailings from rock phosphate mines that are allowed to just pile up the tailings into huge mountains and leave them there, maybe it should be a little more expensive than it is.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Crazycryodude posted:

What does industrial agriculture have to do with 70 people foraging wild plants and hunting rodents in some forgotten corner of the biosphere? Did you read my post? Industrial civilization is incredibly fragile and killing 98% of humanity is trivially easy, all that takes is one malfunctioning missile warning satellite. Shattering industrial civilization forever and reducing humans to just one of the smarter animals out there in the jungle isn't the same as total biosphere collapse and the extinction of all complex life.

Which part of the biosphere do you think is going to survive a) long term and b) with the massive caloric requirements for large mammals like humans? Everywhere is going to experience a massive change in temp, newly invasive species, and all the radiation, chemical spills, and general fuckups of humanity.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

tokin opposition posted:

Which part of the biosphere do you think is going to survive a) long term and b) with the massive caloric requirements for large mammals like humans? Everywhere is going to experience a massive change in temp, newly invasive species, and all the radiation, chemical spills, and general fuckups of humanity.

you just go to the store and get food idiot

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

tokin opposition posted:

ur mom's house

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

the fall of the western Roman Empire was gradual over a century yeah. the 476 date is just historians had to make up their minds at some point.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Crazycryodude posted:

ur mom's house

My mom's homeless

Owned bitch

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

There's plenty of instances in the geologic record of real fuckin' bad poo poo happening incredibly suddenly to Earth leaving absolutely no time for anything to adapt. Whenever a big-rear end asteroid hits the entire planet catches on fire at once, followed by a decades-long impact winter, and then (if it hit anywhere near the coast or a shallow sea) millennia-long intense greenhouse warming due to vaporized carbonate rock throwing more CO2 into the air than we'd ever be able to produce. None of these managed to destroy the biosphere or even render it so broken that large things ceased to exist.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Feel Good Thread of the Year

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

"Civilisation will collapse"
"No it won't we'll just end up with a few hundred thousand humans living at subsistence level while the ecosystem reconfigures itself over thousands if not millions of years. God you're such a pessimist."
I remember seeing a goon go :actually: life will continue on planet Earth, it's just humans that will go extinct, so please stop your overblown rhetoric about climate change being terrible tyvm.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Shame Boy posted:

There's plenty of instances in the geologic record of real fuckin' bad poo poo happening incredibly suddenly to Earth leaving absolutely no time for anything to adapt. Whenever a big-rear end asteroid hits the entire planet catches on fire at once, followed by a decades-long impact winter, and then (if it hit anywhere near the coast or a shallow sea) millennia-long intense greenhouse warming due to vaporized carbonate rock throwing more CO2 into the air than we'd ever be able to produce. None of these managed to destroy the biosphere or even render it so broken that large things ceased to exist.

speaking of co2, :gas:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Popoto posted:

the fall of the western Roman Empire was gradual over a century yeah. the 476 date is just historians had to make up their minds at some point.

476 was also picked to pretend that the Eastern Roman Empire was suddenly something completely different and ~*~*~*ROME*~*~*~ died with some 15 year old nobody even bothered to kill.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/brian_goldstone/status/1424816785216376836?s=19

Reading this at 9am has made me go full Maoist for the day

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Hollandia posted:

I remember seeing a goon go :actually: life will continue on planet Earth, it's just humans that will go extinct, so please stop your overblown rhetoric about climate change being terrible tyvm.

I have unironically made a very similar argument as this towards green party types talking about like save the dolphins or polar bears or whatever, where frankly from a political perspective I must conclude that these are weak as gently caress arguments that will not sway people to take action. Even myself when push comes to shove I don't really think I give all that much of a gently caress about a species more or less extinct. What I do give a gently caress about is making sure this planet remains hospitable to human life, and so I care about species extinction leading to ecosystem collapse leading to humans being hosed in that context.

So like, gently caress save the environment or dolphins or whatever, but hell yes to let's ensure human beings can live on this planet as comfortably as possible.

What I totally underestimated was that the vast majority of people with power also don't give even the slightest gently caress about ensuring human beings can live on this planet. And even for most voters this is apparently a tough sell.

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is the real core rot the Republican party has managed to introduce in the US political system. Effectively the federal government does not control large parts of the country because state/local governments can and are just choosing to ignore them. The federal government can make their laws, but they can not enforce them. This is some real collapse poo poo.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 10:21 on Aug 12, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Failed Imagineer posted:

remember at the start of the pandemic when people said "the american people won't take this laying down!"

Wonder where they are now

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Milo and POTUS posted:

siding with the small business owners getting stiffed by deadbeats

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Milo and POTUS posted:

remember at the start of the pandemic when people said "the american people won't take this laying down!"

Laying down.

Or else they're dead, which if you think about it is just a very advanced stage of laying down

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Failed Imagineer posted:

so im not a fancy big city lawyer but that seems like a crime

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

The Nastier Nate posted:

Landlords are allowed to refuse the rent relief :eng101:

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

As someone who lives in an area whose aquifer has been poisoned by radioactive mine tailings from rock phosphate mines that are allowed to just pile up the tailings into huge mountains and leave them there, maybe it should be a little more expensive than it is.

Probably, and still you can get by without it with actual manure and good compost. So ley farming/rotating between pasture, vegetable production, and fallow.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Business Gorillas posted:

turning down free money eh?

how does one get so good at business?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

The Nastier Nate posted:

turning down free money eh?

how does one get so good at business?

Be a rich mommy and daddy's special boy.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

And the eviction moratorium only covers non-payment of rent. They can still pick from a long list of bullshit other reasons.

The government is supposed to disburse the funds to the renter if the landlord refuses, but I haven't heard of that happening very often I wonder why!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Failed Imagineer posted:

Laying down.

Or else they're dead, which if you think about it is just a very advanced stage of laying down

Given what has gone on over the last ten years or so, I'm not sure why anyone would think the American people wouldn't take anything lying down.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Sandy Hook was the moment the lizard pedophiles who run the world decided to just get nutty with it since piles of dead kids didn't stop em

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

But I thought they were minutes away from bankruptcy :allears:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

skooma512 posted:

But I thought they were minutes away from bankruptcy :allears:

They are. They also just bought a water damaged house, and have 12 children, and their partner is unemployed. But this the land of the free and they have make a stand!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why are landlords allowed to refuse, how does that make any sense. Why are they involved at all.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

The Nastier Nate posted:

nothing's a crime unless a judge says it is

(and the corollary, anything is a crime if a judge says it is)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fame Douglas posted:

Why are landlords allowed to refuse, how does that make any sense. Why are they involved at all.

Look, you can't just give money directly to people in need because

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It makes sense, the reason being

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Snowy posted:

siding with the small business owners getting stiffed by deadbeats

hmm

Orange DeviI