Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AHH F/UGH posted:

My belief would be that they have the right not to get vaccinated but regulations like vaccine passports should be implemented so that they can't really ever go inside a publicly open building ever again if they choose that path. For them, it's curbside pickup only, no sporting events, no graduation ceremonies or public school events, no nightclubs or bars, never-ending WFH (or nothing, and good luck finding a job if you lose yours) etc etc. Opt-out Pariahism is probably a better term.
[...]
And yes the public school thing - it's good that kids get their vaccine regimen but I do think parents should also be able to opt-out of those - and be forced to homeschool their kids and deal with all the bullshit that comes with that if they choose. The quarantine for TB thing is similar to my first point - you choose to be a pariah if that's how you want to go about it, but historically TB is quite a different beast than coronavirus.

I think it's valid for parents to be able to refuse treatments. I think religious reasons shouldn't be protected due to church and state separations and in those cases, there needs to be social services departments sent out by the state to determine if the parents are nuts and refusing routine or lifesaving treatment should be deemed child abuse.

I guess call me a body purist or something. I'm essentially in favor of even stronger restrictions than there have been in place for the past 18 months, but I'm mostly addressing people in this thread and other places who have said things like "the army should go around house by house jabbing people" and whatnot that I'm in the camp of "that's going too far".

What you're describing is a mandate, which is exactly what everyone else is also calling for. It's giving people the choice between getting the jab or taking precautions/being banned from certain activities, and hopefully those precautions will be onerous enough that people on the fence will get the jab rather than giving up sporting events and concerts and overseas vacations.
If the federal government enacts a vaccine mandate it'll just be all that stuff, they won't be sending soldiers to your house to hold you down and forcefully inject you against your will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Any talk about actual FORCED vaccination is a complete strawman and waste of time in this thread!

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I told the strawman I was going to vaccinate him, that this time I was cereal. He barley listened. Some people just want to go against the grain.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Oht man, talk about a maize of corny puns you just spelt out for us, at least they weren't rhyeming

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Even if they wanted to go door to door forcefully injecting people who were unvaxxed they don't have a federal database of who has or hasn't been jabbed. That doesn't even exist on the state level, a fairly decent percentage of doses were handed out to people who didn't supply ID or insurance info and chose to remain anonymous. Vaxx cards are also super easy to fake so I don't even know how any kind of mandate would function in the real world and they found out the hard way when they rolled back the mask recommendations for vaxxed people that using the honor system and assuming people would just do the right thing simply doesn't work.

Events like Lollopalooza tried to check vaxx credentials at the gate before they let people in (or made people take a rapid test if they were unvaxxed) and that was a notoriously inadequate system, it was super easy for people to get in anyway.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I think I got this from someone on these very same forums last year, shout out to whoever that was

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Anyway let's check in on where the level of discussion around vaccines is currently at out in the real world

https://twitter.com/AkivaGoldsman/status/1424821175125872647

:hmmyes: Hmmm yes, still extremely politicized

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

What you're describing is a mandate, which is exactly what everyone else is also calling for. It's giving people the choice between getting the jab or taking precautions/being banned from certain activities, and hopefully those precautions will be onerous enough that people on the fence will get the jab rather than giving up sporting events and concerts and overseas vacations.
If the federal government enacts a vaccine mandate it'll just be all that stuff, they won't be sending soldiers to your house to hold you down and forcefully inject you against your will.

Excuse me? I don't want to take any precautions for my body to leak covid everywhere. And private businesses can't stop me from coming in and sitting near you! We are in this together, with your children too.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Spinz posted:

Any talk about actual FORCED vaccination is a complete strawman and waste of time in this thread!

Yeah the Biden administration recently said they're not going to enact a federal mask mandate or lockdowns or anything, I really can't see them dredging up the political will to enact a vaccine mandate anytime soon. They're just going to continue pleading via Twitter, that's their entire vaccine plan.

The entire discussion is a strawman

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
When you think about it, it’s actually an ironman, because Biden’s actual strategy is much more pathetic than a strategy that incorporates vaccine mandates.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

sweet thursday posted:

A lot of you said that if push ever came to shove, Republicans would never die for what they believe in. I believe you owe them an apology.

never on purpose, at least. the number of stories where we’re seeing the usual suspects begging for a vaccine or pleading for their loved ones to get it tells us that much

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

:hmmyes:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yep, the clinical trials started way back in April 2020, we've been shoving those doses into arms for well over a year now and there's been several billion shots administered worldwide.

Well what if everyone who gets vaccinated eventually turns into a puddle of goo like that guy in the X Men movie? No thanks to that! I am very smart.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

https://www.wsfa.com/2021/08/10/all-67-alabama-counties-now-very-high-risk-covid-19-spread/ 1 in 4 positive in tests in all of Alabama. Sucks.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

https://twitter.com/formvscontent/status/1425329439420866563

Video of chuds threatening to kill a doctor for recommending kids wear masks for a month

Lots more similar stuff where that came from:

https://twitter.com/ClayTravis/status/1425254591155904513

https://twitter.com/brinleyhineman/status/1425304606968590345?r

https://twitter.com/ActNormalOrElse/status/1425445108997140487

Edit: amazing postscript to the OP's video
https://twitter.com/elechner1/status/1425303489270460419

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 12, 2021

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

If we take january 6 as an exemple, a lot of these people are in the, at least, higher middle class or higher and can afford to take time off to take political action.

It's an age old tale were only the wealthy have the freedom to be involved in political movement.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

lol

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

sweet thursday posted:

I told the strawman I was going to vaccinate him, that this time I was cereal. He barley listened. Some people just want to go against the grain.

gently caress you!

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I deserve that, thank you

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Re: mandatory vaccinations, apparently Indonesia mandated them a while ago.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-19/indonesia-warns-fines-for-refusing-covid-19-vaccine-world-first/13170826

$450 fine for refusing which I imagine is relatively a lot of money for the average Indonesian.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Why are these idiots so ragingly angry about little Jimmy wearing a mask in school? What do they think is going to happen? Did they find out the masks are coated with secret transgender-inducing microbes, or nanobots that are going to install Marxism OS 2.0 in Jimmy's brain?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Number_6 posted:

Why are these idiots so ragingly angry about little Jimmy wearing a mask in school? What do they think is going to happen? Did they find out the masks are coated with secret transgender-inducing microbes, or nanobots that are going to install Marxism OS 2.0 in Jimmy's brain?

They're pathological narcissists who can only react with rage whenever they're told they're wrong about something.

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

spunkshui posted:

Chuds are going to find out real quick they need the masks.

Give then 2 weeks before they all bend the knee.

https://www.mississippifreepress.org/14659/mississippis-hospital-system-could-fail-in-10-days-ummc-warns-as-feds-rush-in/

can't wait for a hurricane to come through and really throw a monkey wrench in all of this.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

cardedagain posted:

can't wait for a hurricane to come through and really throw a monkey wrench in all of this.

How about a cyclone slamming Florida this weekend

https://twitter.com/NHC_Atlantic/status/1425567008792354816

E: also their current covid hospitalizations are higher than NYC's were at their peak, plus they just begged the federal government for 300 extra ventilators

E2: they had to bypass Gov DeSantis and ask for the vents without his knowledge, he's still claiming there's no shortage LOL
https://twitter.com/SunSentinel/status/1425576894876028935

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 12, 2021

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Number_6 posted:

In case it wasn't clear enough to everyone already, the right wing in America is an open-faced death cult and their favorite pastime is making human sacrifices out of children

cnut
May 3, 2016

https://twitter.com/hasek_dominik/status/1425584573870710787

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Anyone outright refusing vaccination at this point should lose access to medical care. Not just medical care for covid-19, all medical care.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Platystemon posted:

When you think about it, it’s actually an ironman, because Biden’s actual strategy is much more pathetic than a strategy that incorporates vaccine mandates.

Does it matter to him? If it's mostly chuds who are yet to be vaccinated it probably works in his favour if they get sick and die or get long covid.

If a decent chunk of them get horribly unwell and start to question why all the Republicans keep saying it's no big deal that probably helps Biden too.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

EA Sports posted:

we should make vaccine guns to shoot people with but im not one to care about rights.

Veterinarians already have those, jet injectors for up close and penumatic dart guns for longer range

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Number_6 posted:

Tucker Carlson has been inviting scam doctors from AFLDS on his show to tell everyone that masks destroy kids' brains.

Speaking of which, one of my coworkers caught COVID and said he paid $200 for AFLDS to give him a virtual consult and let him select from "COVID treatments" including hydroxychloriquine.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Aug 12, 2021

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
So this just happened in Sweden...

https://translate.google.com/transl...-an-80-smittade

quote:

The corona outbreak after the tantra festival is growing - more than 80 infected

82 people have now been found infected with covid-19 after the covid outbreak that occurred in connection with the tantra festival at the camp site Ängsbacka in Molkom.
About 500 people were present and the number of infected may increase further according to Region Värmland.
"It is serious," says the region's infection control doctor Anna Skogstam.

Tantra, of course, being not just about sex but a lot of other human interactions. According to people interviewed by the news. But yeah, we can assume a lot of those people were loving someone who had Covid.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

So this just happened in Sweden...

https://translate.google.com/transl...-an-80-smittade

Tantra, of course, being not just about sex but a lot of other human interactions. According to people interviewed by the news. But yeah, we can assume a lot of those people were loving someone who had Covid.

Gives new meaning to the term “super spreader”

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

MarcusSA posted:

Gives new meaning to the term “super spreader”

"I withheld my orgasm for 72 hours and all I got was this lousy COVID diagnosis."

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Someone has leaked the Florida covid strategy.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

QuarkJets posted:

Anyone outright refusing vaccination at this point should lose access to medical care. Not just medical care for covid-19, all medical care.
Here in :911:, I could see people demanding medical care at gunpoint or shooting up an ER if they were denied care under these circumstances.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My personal hope is that (at least in more blue states) it becomes almost impossible to do anything without having gotten vaccinated or having a negative covid test and a mask on. Movie theaters, shopping, restaurants, flights. I'd think you'd get more fully vaxxed people spending money if they're not at risk of getting a breakthrough case from some moron that's in their general vicinity.

Let somebody open up their own "vax free" restaurant if they want, then I can know to avoid it and we can see how long it lasts when they can't staff the place and when half the regular patrons end up in the hospital.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

A game that I used to play has a slowly dying tournament scene. At a recent tournament there was a memorial tribute to players who had died recently. This was livestreamed on YouTube and I was astounded at the sheer number of players memorialized. True they probably didn't have events last year and were making up for two year's worth but it was still a rather large number of people given the small shrinking group of players.

Now it has an aging playerbase with many players in their 50s and even 60s so it could be the aging playerbase just hitting the fat part of the reaper curve. But given that the playerbase skews towards chuddy (with the South, Southwest and Florida disproportionately represented) I couldn't help but wonder if some substantial part of it was Covid.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I play a WW2 tabletop game. The sheer number of old men getting memorialized in the Facebook groups I am in was pretty weighty.

Turns out old men that play with little toy figures aren't the healthiest bunch

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
So I have to try to talk some relatives (who will be bringing their 7-month-old) out of going to a wedding at the end of the month. It’ll be a huge affair in a southern state. The family hosting it legitimately seems to think they are protected because they are wealthy. lol

Zwabu posted:

A game that I used to play has a slowly dying tournament scene. At a recent tournament there was a memorial tribute to players who had died recently. This was livestreamed on YouTube and I was astounded at the sheer number of players memorialized. True they probably didn't have events last year and were making up for two year's worth but it was still a rather large number of people given the small shrinking group of players.

Now it has an aging playerbase with many players in their 50s and even 60s so it could be the aging playerbase just hitting the fat part of the reaper curve. But given that the playerbase skews towards chuddy (with the South, Southwest and Florida disproportionately represented) I couldn't help but wonder if some substantial part of it was Covid.
:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

TheBuilder posted:

My nephew got Covid after 2 days back to school in Mississippi last week, lol. No mask policy, no contact tracing. He's just got low fever but sick kids abound in his elementary school.

My son is on day 2 of 1st grade in the great public education system in a county in central Mississippi. Good luck, kiddo!