Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah SW4 would be closer to what you want if you want something like DW8XL. SW5 is more akin to DW7 in focusing more on story and being a soft reboot. And if you can’t get enough SW4, there’s 4-2, spirit of sanada, and chronicles 3 which are basically expansions on that core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Zaggitz posted:

I'm also a loser who cares about ~lore and continuity~ so I haven't played any of the orochi games since I think the first 3 directly follow eachother plotwise? I could have misread that though.
Technically yes, but it really doesn't matter. The plot is your typical Warriors crossover stuff (Big Bad distorts space/time to bring all the characters together) so you're not missing out on anything by skipping any one of them, IMO.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I would argue you can begin at WO3 or WO4, but WO1 and 2 are essentially one game and should be treated as such.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
WO3 is actually 2 in Japan. WO2 is basically the XL expansion that got relabeled to being 2 when it got localized, continuing koei's tradition of misnumbering their games when they get localized.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
WO2 has an Orochi route that leads into the entirety of 1, while 2 is what happens after he got his rear end kicked the first time. WO3 doesn't really acknowledge which route was the priority, it just goes with "everyone did it and now they are all cool with each other in this mish-mash of China and Japan, whoa" before the problems begin again.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Sword Boys Musou

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/08/touken-ranbu-musou-announced-for-switch-pc

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I don't know what Touken Ranbu is, but as Sterling said, it seems that these days Omega Force is only capable of making good games when it's a property they don't own, so I'm slightly interested.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
It’s a good enough match that I’m surprised they haven’t done that before. It’s not for me but I bet it plays better than Senran Kagura on the other end.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Twelve by Pies posted:

I don't know what Touken Ranbu is

husbando gacha

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Tae posted:

husbando gacha

how do you know my stage name??

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Twelve by Pies posted:

I don't know what Touken Ranbu is, but as Sterling said, it seems that these days Omega Force is only capable of making good games when it's a property they don't own, so I'm slightly interested.

From what I played of Samurai Warriors 5, the game seems pretty good. What was wrong with it?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Takoluka posted:

From what I played of Samurai Warriors 5, the game seems pretty good. What was wrong with it?

Mostly the limited variety of movesets and lack of stuff to do beyond the story. Some people have also complained about the mission design.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm a big dumb idiot who doesn't know a lot about Japanese history, but it took me until chapter 6 to realize that hideyoshi is that hideyoshi. I was bamboozled by his non-toyotomi surname and his youthful looks

And yeah I don't know if it's a unique thing with this game, or if I've just finally hit the point of musou fatigue, but the mission design in this game feels really samey and generic, like you're just bouncing between points on the map repeating the same two or three types of objective (generally "kill specific officer" or "kill 200 troops"). I guess you could say that about most musou games, it's hard to say why I'm noticing it more in this one, but I feel like the others do a better job of hiding it, or a better job of at least making things feel a bit more intense or heroic via fluff as you do these things, or conveying the ebb and flow of a pitched battle that's larger than just the enemies in your immediate vicinity, but it seems a little flat in this one.

Like Nagashino for example; I feel like typically when they do this battle in these games, they make it a point to stress how much of a turning point the battle is, or how fearsome the takeda cavalry is supposed to be and how interesting it is that Nobunaga found an unexpected way to counter them; but in this game it's just "kill 5 cavalry officers" and then you move on. I think part of it is also that I struggle a bit with japanese-only audio, these games are frenetic enough that I have a hard time splitting my attention between reading subtitles and watching the action on the screen, so if the game is giving me context, I'm missing about half of it.

I am at least enjoying the character-focused nature of the story (even if I apparently couldn't recognize one of the most famous figures of the period), but the levels seem a bit uninspired this time around. I'm still enjoying it, but I'd have a hard time recommending this one at full price.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No PS version is a weird choice.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

No PS version is a weird choice.

Joke answer: Nitroplus, being who they are, probably hate Sony's "tone down the horny" policy even though realistically Touken Ranbu wouldn't have anything like that in it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It's a licensed Musou game for a 6 year old gacha game that only just came out globally a few months ago, not a huge shock that they don't care about the overseas market for that one.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Ainsley McTree posted:

Like Nagashino for example; I feel like typically when they do this battle in these games, they make it a point to stress how much of a turning point the battle is, or how fearsome the takeda cavalry is supposed to be and how interesting it is that Nobunaga found an unexpected way to counter them; but in this game it's just "kill 5 cavalry officers" and then you move on.

Honestly the main Warriors games have had this problem for ages and it frustrates the hell out of me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Having a bitch of a time trying to get the S Rank, I think for !s in Pirate Warriors 3 on the Alubarna stage. Any advice? Mostly just getting enough score up before there's basically no enemies left on the map to fight.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Vichan posted:

Honestly the main Warriors games have had this problem for ages and it frustrates the hell out of me.

I feel like getting rid of the morale bar is probably a big factor. With it, you could program it so that meeting certain conditions would change it drastically and actually give that feeling of "this seems impossible, but now it's all turned around" or Chibi's "Wei is on top oh no we're hosed now," or even just making your side's morale rise slowly throughout the course of a fight to give the feeling of struggling against impossible odds and eventually overcoming them.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Having a bitch of a time trying to get the S Rank, I think for !s in Pirate Warriors 3 on the Alubarna stage. Any advice? Mostly just getting enough score up before there's basically no enemies left on the map to fight.

Getting !s is rough sometimes but good general advice is: equip the skill that causes your Kizuna meter to fill faster, and any skills that make you deal more damage during a Kizuna Rush. Every enemy you defeat during a Kizuna Rush counts as a ! KO, so basically you want to get into Kizuna Rush as fast as possible and defeat as many enemies as you can during it. Also remember anyone marked as a Hero (they have a crown beside their portrait) has their meter fill even faster while they're a Hero, so you want to prioritize filling them up while they're in that state.

One more bit of advice. If you do a Special Kizuna Attack at the end of a Kizuna Rush (using the musou attack button), this will add whoever you're doing a Kizuna Rush with to the attack. So if you have Sanji and Usopp, doing it with Sanji means that when you do it with Usopp, Sanji will also attack. This makes the attack stronger, but comes with a big drawback: any Kizuna meter you've gained with a character who does the Special Kizuna Attack with you gets reset to 0. This can cause you to completely lose Kizuna meter and effectively waste it, so unless you're specifically trying to take down a tricky enemy, I would suggest not using the Special Kizuna Attacks at the end of your rush, because you might be wasting meter with your other crewmates and have to waste time filling it up again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Thanks for the advice, I figured I should probably break the habit of blowing off Kizuna special attacks at the first opportunity because they look cool.

What characters are good to play with? I'm aware that balance tends to not really be a priority in these games, but I'm really bad at memorising combos unless I play one a lot. I'm vaguely aware some characters are better for taking out massed enemies while others are good against single ones. (Luffy being very much the latter, fittingly)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Luffy is actually pretty amazing at taking out crowds, SSTTT (especially during a Kizuna Rush) and TTSSS will clear out territories in no time, Luffy was always easiest to make rank on levels.

I haven't played as every character but the only one I remember being really difficult to play with was Perona, mostly because her gimmick is inflicting statuses on enemies which are difficult to inflict on bosses, so she feels really underpowered.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

How bad is the EXP grind in Samurai Warrios 5? I know reception has been mixed, but I only play Musuo games on the exercise bike to take my mind off my legs while they're turning to jelly. One thing that has bothered me about some recent Musuo games (Orochi 4 and PW4 especially) is that they gate levelling behind a huge EXP grind. I want to be able to keep playing new missions without having to go back and replay old ones to level up characters. PW3, Orochi 3, and Hyrule Warriors Ultimate are my platonic ideal for this. Where does SW5 fall on this spectrum?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

It's not too bad. You earn "stock EXP" which can be used to level characters between fights, and you can buy more if you need it. Characters also rise to a stage-appropriate level when they become available for the first time.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

5-Headed Snake God posted:

It's not too bad. You earn "stock EXP" which can be used to level characters between fights, and you can buy more if you need it. Characters also rise to a stage-appropriate level when they become available for the first time.

That sounds pretty good. Thanks!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is Samurai Warriors 5 on the Switch good?

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy

Lily Catts posted:

Is Samurai Warriors 5 on the Switch good?

I'm liking it so far! The performance holds up shockingly well, and it doesn't look like rear end because the art style carries it. I've had some frame rate drops when a ton of guys are getting thwacked and flying around amid some effects, but it's been rare. Load times aren't even that bad. I've also been entirely handheld.

The Citadel short play mode is also a godsend for some relaxing and quick fights.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I played Warriors Orochi way back on the 360 and I think got every achievement and forgot that I loved these games till now like 15 years later. I grabbed Dynasty Warriors 7 EXUltimate++++ for 20 bucks on PC to see if I still liked it and had a blast but it's so dated looking. Booted up my PS4 and saw they had DW8EX+++Ultimate---TOTAL COMPLETE and it said it was already bought. But I never played it. It must have gone on sale super cheap and my lizard brain made me buy it way back when. So I've been playing it non-stop for the past week. It's great, I love it. It's so awesome on my big screen and all. But the frame rate isn't terrible, but it isn't great either.

If I finally snag a PS5, what DW (Musou?) games are out on it, and if I play this DW8 game on it, will the framerate be way smoother?

I can't stop playing, it has that endgame Diablo/PoE feel to it. So good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There are zero Warriors games with a dedicated PS5 version and I dont think any have been announced, you can play all the PS4 ones on it though.

As for framerate, from what I remember most Warriors games have the framerate set at 'whatever' and just let them wander the whole spectrum without any caps so it should be more consistent on PS5 but don't quote me on that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

WO3 on PS4 dynamically changes its lock between 30/60 and it's frustrating.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

WO3 on PS4 dynamically changes its lock between 30/60 and it's frustrating.

I noticed that, it's weird! I'm just grateful they made a ps4 version at all really, that game rules

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Gotta say, Hanbei's drum in SW5 is absolutely filthy to play with. Really brings a new meaning to 'beat 'em up'.

Feel like they could have expanded the spear moveset, though. I'm not sure having one big, gently caress-you mounted attack is really adequate compensation for such a limited toolkit on foot.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/09/touken-ranbu-warriors-for-switch-coming-west-on-may-24-2022

Huh. Well.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Reading the description of the series in that article, it sounds like this will be a game about swords wielding swords to fight other swords? I'm sold.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What are the chances that DW9E won't suck too much?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

It'll probably be okay. Omega Force has a history of pulling out a decent game after a disaster with the jump from 6 to 7 so I imagine them course correcting back to standard gameplay will at least be passable.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'd really like for DW9E to be good but I have a feeling that it will have less features than DW8E.
I really hope I'm wrong.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The Japanese version of DW9E is dropping December 23rd, no word on when the US version is but probably January/February. They're also considering a demo so that could be fun.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://youtu.be/Z0BMYSJL-gk

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Lol, even in their official trailer, the ai failing at climbing their siege tower.

Like, I would love for this to not suck, but Its hard to shake the issues around the base game. A big 'wait and see' for this I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Jeez the colored zones just sitting there look terrible