Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
When I read it in the morning I was in Woden but I was like well the bus is coming, I probably don't have to rush to get papers and filters, there's a couple of small IGAs around my place and it's probably gonna be tomorrow night or something

Forty minute line in a tiny IGA x-press in south Canberra like twenty minutes after I heard it was gonna be in a couple hours, a guy stood at the front of the shop and yelled about how the people with fewer items should be prioritised

Everyone was either looking at their phones or talking to people on 'em trying to get a shopping list and ignored him and he eventually wandered back into line in a huff

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Advertiser saying Pfizer bookings for 16-39 year olds will be open from Monday in SA.

I went to a GP in WA recently who provided a pfizer vaccine, and basically said "They're letting people have this from next week, but you probably have a grandma or someone that you need to provide urgent care for at the moment, right?" and just gave it to me immediately.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I kinda have sympathy for Melbourne 2020/Sydney 2021 style panic buying, when the government only locks down as a last resort and it's clearly going to blow up in their faces and get way loving worse, because in that scenario it's kinda reasonable to maybe want to not go to the shops again for a while. (My local Woolies has been a contact site twice now, not that that will make half the staff there bother to wear masks.) But for one case, come on. The shops will remain open and you'll be more likely to get hit by a car outside than to catch COVID there.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

freebooter posted:

Is anyone actually challenging her now on why there's still no ring of steel or whatever you want to call it?

Colander of steal.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Colander of steal.

Canberra is going to build a yuuuuge wall and make Queanbeyan pay for it.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

freebooter posted:

I kinda have sympathy for Melbourne 2020/Sydney 2021 style panic buying, when the government only locks down as a last resort and it's clearly going to blow up in their faces and get way loving worse, because in that scenario it's kinda reasonable to maybe want to not go to the shops again for a while. (My local Woolies has been a contact site twice now, not that that will make half the staff there bother to wear masks.) But for one case, come on. The shops will remain open and you'll be more likely to get hit by a car outside than to catch COVID there.

have you ever seen public servants with a subway platter in front of them? disgusting creatures

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Can they withhold NSW's share of the GST to pay for all the lockdowns they've caused in other states?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

slow down trump

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

gay picnic defence posted:

Can they withhold NSW's share of the GST to pay for all the lockdowns they've caused in other states?

I don't even like jokes like this.

gently caress Gladys, gently caress Morrison, and gently caress anyone who held onto this idea that Australia is somehow special in that we could prevent spreads without lockdown against the evidence of the whole planet over the last two years.

However we are a nation ultimately in this together, and should target that ire at them, not each other.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Senor Tron posted:

However we are a nation ultimately in this together, and should target that ire at them, not each other.

Actually I blame you.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Senor Tron posted:

Hard to feel like a nation in this together when the government of the most populous state is actively sabotaging the entire country tbh. I don’t know that I’ve ever felt less Australian than the last 18 months (and that’s starting from a low base).

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

JBP posted:

Actually I blame you.

Ok, I'm gonna go cry into a night out lockdown free tomorrow about it.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I’d honestly be really interested to see some social trend studies on how strongly people identify with their city/state/country since the pandemic began. My guess is that it has moved the needle a fair bit towards more local parochialism, but data would be great.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
It's definitely moved my needle further in the "gently caress NSW" direction.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Periphery posted:

It's definitely moved my needle further in the "gently caress NSW" direction.

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 12, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Nobody asked to be born here, and the only people we've ever seen waving flags are the ones looking for every possible excuse to avoid helping other people under any circumstance.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Solemn Sloth posted:

I’d honestly be really interested to see some social trend studies on how strongly people identify with their city/state/country since the pandemic began. My guess is that it has moved the needle a fair bit towards more local parochialism, but data would be great.

Oh, absolutely. SA feels like it has the most pride and can do attitude that it's had in the 25 years I've lived here.

It just bugs me because there's so much opportunity right now among the giant piles of poo poo we're wading through to make things better. Morrison had to be pulled kicking and screaming by the state's to a job support program, and then JobKeeper showed how a welfare program could keep the economy alive through an unprecedented blow.

The Vic government hosed up last year in a way that should have been unforgivable, but they showed that they had been doing their best, and learned from the mistakes and did better.

Among protests and anti-vaxxers, the populations of many states overall rolled up their sleeves and put up with quickly implemented lockdowns and restrictions with the knowledge they're for the greater good.

Individuals should be called out where they continue to do the wrong thing, but overall this is the best opportunity since WW2 for people to realise what we can do, what we can achieve when we work together.

Coming out of this, that sort of mindset could really help us as a nation address issues like climate change. But it requires us overall to be thinking of ourselves as one humanity.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nobody asked to be born here
You didn't leave therefore you have implied you wanna die here.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Hard to feel like a nation in this together when the government of the most populous state is actively sabotaging the entire country tbh. I don’t know that I’ve ever felt less Australian than the last 18 months (and that’s starting from a low base).

Hate the individuals that are breaking restrictions like Mr Byron. Hate nsw gov for lovely restrictions that are too complicated to bother that they started far too late and keep changing. Hate the feds for not doing their job. Hate the press for loudly providing examples of how to abuse loop holes in the restrictions at every single press conference while softballing bullshit questions.

It's not really the peoples fault, especially those in the south western lgas that are getting punished because they won't take a vaccine they can't get and can't stay home because they'll lose their income or they just don't understand or even know - they've only been releasing the info and locations or translating the conferences for the past two weeks.

Fun fact too - the "walk in vax hubs" in these LGAs run in one location per day then move, from 9-3, and have 100 doses available per day. Also in my specific LGA each days hub is more than 5kms from my house so their actual locations leave a bit to be desired. (I know it's an exemption to the 5kms but it just adds to the confusion)

So the prospect of getting there and lining up (no bookings, remember?) and waiting around in a hot spot LGA around other people from the same hotspot LGA, for probably an hour or two, and if you can't get there before they run out, is kinda not a great proposition. It's technically against the 'raw' health advice of 'stay home, don't go anywhere without a plan on how to get in and out quickly' (yeah they say it's ok if you're getting vaxxed but really the risk profile is no different than going to your local Bunnings, supermarket or chemist for the same amount of time) and beyond that it's just not a great use of your own time if you miss out.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Senor Tron posted:

I'm going to use an analogy here, my body is in this together - life I mean. My arm and my leg, my foot even. Now if together I managed to get diabetes, which is Covid, perhaps by not quarantining my body, Australia, off from sugar because of a hosed up brain, in this case the Federal government. So my foot, NSW, doesn't properly care for itself because of some nebulous hosed up laziness, Gladys and her poo poo cabinet, and becomes necrotic, NSW as it is now. Whilst we are ostensibly in this together, the right thing to do for all of us is to cut off the foot and cast it into the fire.

I don't even know if I'm joking anymore. The people of NSW either need to cut off their own foot, or the rest of Australia will do it for them at some point.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I think all Australians can agree Gladys needs to go à la lanterne

A Good Username
Oct 10, 2007

In not pandemic politics…

The government’s introduced 4 bills to change the rules about party registration and other electoral stuff.
So if anyone wants to create the SA (No, not that SA, the other SA… What, no, not the Nazi one, the dead gay forum one.) party, it might be more difficult going forward if they’re passed.
It’s more complicated than that, but I’m quite stupid (and drunk), so smarter folk here can argue about it.

Antony explains it all.

https://antonygreen.com.au/proposed-electoral-act-changes-for-the-2022-federal-election/

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Liberal taking credit for the greatest emissions reductions since the last time Labor was in power (as posted on their FB page).

The actual data (additions not mine).

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

Solemn Sloth posted:

I’d honestly be really interested to see some social trend studies on how strongly people identify with their city/state/country since the pandemic began.
As an Australian living overseas it's soured me a whole lot. I'm lucky that I have a stable job and that I've only dealt with isolation for the last year and a half, no family emergencies, but the complete indifference the government has shown to Aussies overseas while at the same time allowing "urgent business travel" and racist reality TV stars in is enraging.

edit: And the "well we're fine here, why bother getting vaxxed?" attitude from a lot of the general population is a big gently caress you too.

Destroyenator fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 12, 2021

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Born and raised in WA, have spent my entire adult life in Melbourne, but now is the first time I'd consider myself a Victorian rather than just a Melburnian.

Can't even imagine how far the dial must have blown out in places like WA and Tassie that had hard borders and mostly kept life like it was in 2019.

Destroyenator posted:

edit: And the "well we're fine here, why bother getting vaxxed?" attitude from a lot of the general population is a big gently caress you too.

I follow a lot of overseas news for work, and the "Australia's success bred complacency" narrative being pushed in a lot of coverage is simplistic at best and flat-out wrong at worst. At least as it applies to the general population - complacency was certainly a factor in the govt's vaccine failures.

The thing that really amazes me is the narrative (both in Australia and abroad) that Australia has "squandered" its success or been "left behind." Like that loving op-ed in Traveller the other week from some expat in Italy talking about how everyone is vaccinated there and is out and about enjoying the sunshine while poor old Australia is in lockdown. The hundreds of thousands of deaths that places like the US and Europe racked up are just ignored, swept under the carpet, memory holed. Like they don't matter. Nothing matters except the survivors being able to get gelato again.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
guillotine.gif

I dunno how anyone could answer that any way but "if you want me for a full week, pay me for a full week"....

I would also be telling them that I'd absolutely be applying for new jobs to replace the remaining hours.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

something about this obviously illegal and unethical situation just doesn't sit right with me but I can't put my finger on it or google fair work

Reddit help me

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Eediot Jedi posted:

something about this obviously illegal and unethical situation just doesn't sit right with me but I can't put my finger on it or google fair work

Reddit help me

There is no world in which the deputy president of the fair work commission doesn’t have a reddit account

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

There is no world in which the deputy president of the fair work commission doesn’t have a reddit account

Whaaaat the fuuuuu-

I'm mildly embarrassed to have a small Nintendo figurine at work and that guy has jerk-off statues, holy gently caress

Launchpad McQuack
Oct 21, 2010

freebooter posted:

The thing that really amazes me is the narrative (both in Australia and abroad) that Australia has "squandered" its success or been "left behind." Like that loving op-ed in Traveller the other week from some expat in Italy talking about how everyone is vaccinated there and is out and about enjoying the sunshine while poor old Australia is in lockdown. The hundreds of thousands of deaths that places like the US and Europe racked up are just ignored, swept under the carpet, memory holed. Like they don't matter. Nothing matters except the survivors being able to get gelato again.

what do you want people from overseas to do? Sit in their house crying for years on end because they lost a loved on? Are they meant to sit around mourning the loss of everyone who died in their country? Am I guess a majority of people in those countries didn't actually lose anyone? Why should they be sad and not enjoying themselves. Aussie and bootlickers and cowards, look what we are doing to any Aussie coming home. All because our population are cowards. It is disgusting.

What a moronic comment. Life goes on dude.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Launchpad McQuack posted:

What a moronic comment.

:irony:

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

what do you want people from overseas to do? Sit in their house crying for years on end because they lost a loved on? Are they meant to sit around mourning the loss of everyone who died in their country? Am I guess a majority of people in those countries didn't actually lose anyone? Why should they be sad and not enjoying themselves. Aussie and bootlickers and cowards, look what we are doing to any Aussie coming home. All because our population are cowards. It is disgusting.

What a moronic comment. Life goes on dude.

gently caress you!

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

They should claim the COVID payment then just not turn up.
When the employer tries to sack them, they have the paperwork to say they weren't supposed to be at work for an unfair dismissal claim :cheers:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
390 new cases, counting the days til 400 daily

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Box of Bunnies posted:

390 new cases, counting the days til 400 daily

Basically came to post this. What the gently caress

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Life goes on dude.

Unless you died of rona

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
gently caress newcastle's popping off i hate this

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://twitter.com/realCarrickRyan/status/1425945276829769729

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
newcastle and maitland are the filthiest places i've ever lived in. both in terms of trash and pollution, but also just, the air is still. it just hangs there, full of suspended grime particles. they used to get big summer storms that would sweep everything clean, but climate change and development changed the local weather patterns and now the air is just this unmoving stagnant miasma that's 40% oxygen, 20% coal dust, 20% diseased human aerosols. if you've ever been in the creepy retail complex in the tunnels under sydney cbd? the air's like that, but it's the whole city, from hunter street out west to about glendale