Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Dwesa posted:

stolen from refunds sub

https://twitter.com/FirespriteGames/status/1425134858972565504

ADDITIONAL OR DESIRED SKILLS:
Knowledge of Unreal engine

:v:

Ah yes, another contractor to do the job for them

Good time and money spent yet again !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lord Stimperor posted:

I wasn't aware of this. I was going to thank you a thousand times for showing me this. But even with sounds the end of the trailer looked melancholic, and then I read the the comments and I don't know if I have it in me to get invested in that creature and have it taken from me :(

But octopi are soooo cool

:actually: the plural for them is octopodes. Thanks year living with Grad student Marine Biologists in Hawaii!

But octopus is derived from Greek, so the proper pluralization in this case would be “odes” if it was ever used. However, this particular word happens to employ a classic English formulation, and affixing a simple “es” at the end of octopus will do, according to grammar experts.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Thronde posted:

:actually: the plural for them is octopodes. Thanks year living with Grad student Marine Biologists in Hawaii!

But octopus is derived from Greek, so the proper pluralization in this case would be “odes” if it was ever used. However, this particular word happens to employ a classic English formulation, and affixing a simple “es” at the end of octopus will do, according to grammar experts.

Oh right so I guess the word meant eight footer at some point?

I'll try to remember that. I guess I might as well have called them octopussies.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Popete posted:

It's a test bed to fine tune the balance of their large scale mmo.

Except their MMO will supposedly cover vast distances with no quick respawns and thus testing it in a fast paced short respawn battlefield knock off environment makes no sense.

Part of their MMO experience is going to be unlimited experiences, so getting the first person shooty bits right is important. Once it’s perfected, they’ll just bolt it onto Star Citizen, flip a few switches, and boom. Done. Star citizen is going to kill CoD overnight with the practically unlimited maps and deep deep FPS experience.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Dwesa posted:

stolen from refunds sub

https://twitter.com/FirespriteGames/status/1425134858972565504

ADDITIONAL OR DESIRED SKILLS:
Knowledge of Unreal engine

:v:
yet another leak from a year ago coming to pass

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

text editor posted:

these patch notes are just hilarious:

one major bug (major because delivery mission is the game's only real gameplay loop) in exchange for all those weird bugs

how the gently caress do you even get some of these. like why would Star Citizen care that Sonic Studio or whatever is running? is it a driver conflict or something? why would it have conflicts on such a low level anyway? :confused:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

nurmie posted:

how the gently caress do you even get some of these. like why would Star Citizen care that Sonic Studio or whatever is running? is it a driver conflict or something? why would it have conflicts on such a low level anyway? :confused:

at one point in time it was bandied around that SC should have it's own proprietary sound driver, which took total control of your PC to prevent people from 'cheating' by using discord and other voice apps

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Pretty soon Star Citizen is going to require administrator access to run on your PC so it can completely hog your machine just to get 15 FPS in a 40 person death match.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I was under the impression that it already recommended disabling UAC.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DaysBefore posted:

All that for a game where you die if you walk down the stairs too fast

:tldr:

But I hope they discussed wank pod wanking technology and fidelity.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Blue On Blue posted:

at one point in time it was bandied around that SC should have it's own proprietary sound driver, which took total control of your PC to prevent people from 'cheating' by using discord and other voice apps

I think that was just how one brave citizen saw it...

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Popete posted:

Pretty soon Star Citizen is going to require administrator access to run on your PC so it can completely hog your machine just to get 15 FPS in a 40 person death match.

“Soon”? https://support.robertsspaceindustries.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002284834-Windows-Set-Folder-Permissions

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Play posted:

wtf even is theaters of war. is this seriously the third Star Citizen game now? despite failing to deliver a single finished game to this point in time?

Being able to focus on a single project without being able to complete any of dozens you've had to start because you got bored during the last one you started is a paramount cornerstone in the Chris Roberts method of software development.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

What the gently caress

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
like i get it if for example a DAW requires low-level driver access and hogs the whole audio i/o system to itself. but even then, that's usually not the case. are CIG doing some clever manual manipulations with the sound buffer, filling it one sample value at a time? are they mixing sounds to such a fidelitous degree and with such spatial precision that they need direct access to digital-to-analog converter? is it even to do with sound in the first place, or some other weird bit in their frankenstein's monster of a game that needs the entire operating system dedicating itself to just hold it together for ten minutes or so before the inevitable crash? i have many questions :confused:

apropos to nothing, have there been cases of Star Citizen frying people's video cards? just out of curiosity :v:

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Blue On Blue posted:

Really they should install a virus into your houses copper pipes and disconnect your internet should it detect a second PC in use.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

nurmie posted:

like i get it if for example a DAW requires low-level driver access and hogs the whole audio i/o system to itself. but even then, that's usually not the case. are CIG doing some clever manual manipulations with the sound buffer, filling it one sample value at a time? are they mixing sounds to such a fidelitous degree and with such spatial precision that they need direct access to digital-to-analog converter? is it even to do with sound in the first place, or some other weird bit in their frankenstein's monster of a game that needs the entire operating system dedicating itself to just hold it together for ten minutes or so before the inevitable crash? i have many questions :confused:

apropos to nothing, have there been cases of Star Citizen frying people's video cards? just out of curiosity :v:

no luckily enough no one can play the game for longer than 30 minutes at a time, so the GPU's never reach critical temp

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Popete posted:

What the gently caress

Cloud.
Imperium.
(no longer) Games.

nurmie posted:

Well, there was that time when they fiddled with the notion of creating an SC-specific ASIO driver to run the super-high-fidelity V/FOIP chat system…
Because you would definitely want to have CI ourdeltapatchersynfloodstheentirelocalnetwork G level code to be running on that level.

dejapes
Jan 4, 2020

This kills me every time it gets posted. The craziest part is that it's still an official support article after all this time. There's been no attempt to dial things back.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

dejapes posted:

This kills me every time it gets posted. The craziest part is that it's still an official support article after all this time. There's been no attempt to dial things back.

Why would they? By the time the game is out Windows XIII will be norm.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm horrified at the idea of CIG writing a driver and someone actually installing it.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Popete posted:

I'm horrified at the idea of CIG writing a driver and someone actually installing it.

code:
Thank you for playing Star Citizen! 

Not ready reading drive C

Abort,  Retry,  Fail?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Lord Stimperor posted:

I wasn't aware of this. I was going to thank you a thousand times for showing me this. But even with sounds the end of the trailer looked melancholic, and then I read the the comments and I don't know if I have it in me to get invested in that creature and have it taken from me :(

But octopi are soooo cool

It is quite melancholic indeed, but worth it, imo.

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

"Now you know why they call me Dirty Harry: every dirty job that comes along."

Play posted:

wtf even is theaters of war. is this seriously the third Star Citizen game now? despite failing to deliver a single finished game to this point in time?

Technically the fourth if we also count the last FPS game they outsourced and then threw away.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

code:

Never thought I'd need a trigger warning for anything, but this sentence just spiked my heartrate.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

The Dirtiest Harry posted:

Technically the fourth if we also count the last FPS game they outsourced and then threw away.

#IStandWithSantaBall

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017
https://www.twitch.tv/deadlyslob/clip/MistyFrigidNewtTakeNRG-q8NSREOgDGzwBUnj

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

"Now you know why they call me Dirty Harry: every dirty job that comes along."

Popete posted:

I'm genuinely surprised they haven't tried to get away with integrating a cryptominer into the launcher yet.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

I'm genuinely surprised they haven't tried to get away with integrating a cryptominer into the launcher yet.
Do you think their artists would be capable of integrating it?

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

They might have one in the game itself, I know when I tried the freefly back in 2019 it had 26(!) virtual cores pinned at 100%. Like what the gently caress is a game engine even doing that needs at least 26 threads? Mining crypto is one of the only use cases I can think of :v:

NumptyScrub fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Aug 12, 2021

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Popete posted:

Reminds me of my CS 101 days when I accidentally tried to allocate a 232 x 232 matrix.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

NumptyScrub posted:

They might have one in the game itself, I know when I tried the freefly back in 2019 it had 26(!) virtual cores pinned at 100%. Like what the gently caress is a game engine even doing that needs at least 26 threads? Mining crypto is one of the only use cases I can think of :v:

Problem: Gamers are complaining that your game isn't "optimized" and point to less than full CPU utilisation
Solution: Add one thread per logical core. It doesn't matter that all those threads are fighting for access to a global resource since they will spend that time busy waiting. Gamers point to every core being maxed and talk about what great "optimisation" you've done

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Antigravitas posted:

Problem: Gamers are complaining that your game isn't "optimized" and point to less than full CPU utilisation
Solution: Add one thread per logical core. It doesn't matter that all those threads are fighting for access to a global resource since they will spend that time busy waiting. Gamers point to every core being maxed and talk about what great "optimisation" you've done

Yeah I get the point, but any dev that actually does implement that as a "solution" is at least as bad as the idiots they are trying to appease :negative:

I would much rather hear "look we only actually need 5 threads max, of course your other cores are going to sit idle lol"

I mean a game that literally only needs 10% CPU to run at full speed is arguably better optimised than one that uses 100% CPU and still struggles, right?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

cirus posted:

Reminds me of my CS 101 days when I accidentally tried to allocate a 232 x 232 matrix.

You obviously know nothing of game development.

Since bits are binary, that's clearly a 32 × 32 field, and a quick look at any reasonable hex editor will only show 16 columns, so it should have been obvious from the start that what you were trying was impossible. :colbert:

With this proof, I should be able to immediately apply for a senior position at CI¬G.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Tippis posted:

You obviously know nothing of game development.

Since bits are binary, that's clearly a 32 × 32 field, and a quick look at any reasonable hex editor will only show 16 columns, so it should have been obvious from the start that what you were trying was impossible. :colbert:

With this proof, I should be able to immediately apply for a senior position at CI¬G.

I just died a little bit inside.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

code:
Thank you for playing Star Citizen! 

Abort,  Retry,  Fail?

:lol:

You took it to a new level of tension.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

AbstractNapper posted:

I just died a little bit inside.

If you want to die a lot inside, I can try to track down one of my favourite posts from a citizen ever, where he tries to explain how much larger coordinates you can get with 64-bit positioning compared to 32-bit. It follows a very similar logic, except worse.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
So we've got Star Marine that no one plays.
The racing mode that no one plays.
The other poo poo in Arena Commander that also no one plays
Sataball that disappeared completely.
Theatres of War that no one is allowed to play and might now be rebooted as a completely separate Unreal game
and then the PU which in the latest patch has 4 crash-to-desktop/needs a restart bugs
also Squadron 42 which has not been seen for years and probably is in a very unplayable state

Am I missing anything?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah how come there's no card/boardgame and/or tabletop RPG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Kikas posted:

Yeah how come there's no card/boardgame and/or tabletop RPG?

Because…

…in retrospect, I should have probably tied to make that dark-mode compatible.