Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

What field of work are you looking for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m doing a PowerPoint for my next set of interviews and holy cow it really makes you realize how much stuff you’ve done if you just sit down and go through it all project by project. Very worthwhile if only to get it all straight in your head.

I won’t be putting this up to step through but I think it would be useful for some visual aids/diagrams when talking about stuff I’ve done. Especially because it is a virtual interview and no white board etc.

Does Teams have the ability to draw diagrams and stuff? Probably would suck rear end compared to a whiteboard.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Quackles posted:

What field of work are you looking for?
I won't get into too much detail on here other than to say it's in a nonprofit setting.

I suck dick for free

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I won't get into too much detail on here other than to say it's in a nonprofit setting.

I suck dick for free

Oh, so you work with donors, then.
I understand perfectly. :v:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Quackles posted:

Oh, so you work with donors, then.
I understand perfectly. :v:
No, my stuff is on the research and advocacy side.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

priznat posted:

Does Teams have the ability to draw diagrams and stuff? Probably would suck rear end compared to a whiteboard.
There is a whiteboard in teams if your org has it enabled (for some reason mine hasn't turned it on).
You can also share control of your screen to colaboratively doodle in PowerPoint or whatever program you prefer (how well programs handle multi-inputs varies quite a bit).
Also a PowerPoint portfolio of projects is great and your should try and shoehorn it into any interview you can.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

TheLastManStanding posted:

There is a whiteboard in teams if your org has it enabled (for some reason mine hasn't turned it on).
You can also share control of your screen to colaboratively doodle in PowerPoint or whatever program you prefer (how well programs handle multi-inputs varies quite a bit).
Also a PowerPoint portfolio of projects is great and your should try and shoehorn it into any interview you can.

Yeah mine has gotten pretty large now but is also a useful memory jogger too, as I remember things I add it in. I’m planning on using it more as a thing to pull up depending on questions to show a few slides rather than plod through the whole thing.

I have a few slides to show problem solving that summarize the problem, steps to debug/fix and result which I think will be very useful for giving enough data without rambling as I am prone to do. Also the notes section on PowerPoint is good to stash details so it seems like you’re just pulling it up from memory.

Unrelated, I had an initial screening interview and they want to proceed with a full day of interviews. I’m not really keen on it and would prefer the other job I am doing a 2nd round with tomorrow. Is it better to schedule an interview and cancel if I get my favoured job or just cancel now? I am leaning toward the latter, I don’t really want to burn a full day for a job I’m not interested in. The interview experience can be good though and of course the curiosity factor of what would they offer.

I think I’ll let the recruiter know tomorrow that I will pass on 2nd round. There are potentially other jobs at that company I might be interested in so I’d like to not jerk them around either.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

priznat posted:

Unrelated, I had an initial screening interview and they want to proceed with a full day of interviews. I’m not really keen on it and would prefer the other job I am doing a 2nd round with tomorrow. Is it better to schedule an interview and cancel if I get my favoured job or just cancel now? I am leaning toward the latter, I don’t really want to burn a full day for a job I’m not interested in. The interview experience can be good though and of course the curiosity factor of what would they offer.

I think I’ll let the recruiter know tomorrow that I will pass on 2nd round. There are potentially other jobs at that company I might be interested in so I’d like to not jerk them around either.

Cancelling an interview is not a big deal. It's not like going back on an offer. Even doing an interview and basically not being interested in an offer is fine, an interview is not a guarantee you'll take a job. That said, a full day interview is an actual investment. If this was a 90 minute zoom thing I'd urge you to do it anyway even if you don't think there's much chance you'd take it. You never know and its always good practice. But yeah, a whole day is kinda stinky.

I'd maybe agree to set it up but try to push it out as far as you can.

Just read your last line, yeah if you want to try to bite somewhere else let the recruiter know. They may want you to go through the interview anyway though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
My feeling is that even a full-day interview for a job I don't believe I really want is still worth doing if I can. You never know who you might impress, what future doors you might open for yourself, even if you aren't offered or don't accept the job. It's still a good opportunity to go into it with low pressure and an open mind. Plus interviewing is a skill (a massively valuable skill in financial terms) and opportunities to sharpen it through live practice are always valuable, IMO.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I assume that the OP is putting their address / location etc in on their resume but that low of a hit rate could also be indicative of being machine screened for something silly like that.

To follow up on this: I added my city/state to my resume and got three callbacks the next week. I have gotten more interviews in the month since, with no other changes to my resume, than I've had in the previous six months combined.

I don't know if it would be better or worse if this was just a coincidence.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lockback posted:

Cancelling an interview is not a big deal. It's not like going back on an offer. Even doing an interview and basically not being interested in an offer is fine, an interview is not a guarantee you'll take a job. That said, a full day interview is an actual investment. If this was a 90 minute zoom thing I'd urge you to do it anyway even if you don't think there's much chance you'd take it. You never know and its always good practice. But yeah, a whole day is kinda stinky.

I'd maybe agree to set it up but try to push it out as far as you can.

Just read your last line, yeah if you want to try to bite somewhere else let the recruiter know. They may want you to go through the interview anyway though.

Eric the Mauve posted:

My feeling is that even a full-day interview for a job I don't believe I really want is still worth doing if I can. You never know who you might impress, what future doors you might open for yourself, even if you aren't offered or don't accept the job. It's still a good opportunity to go into it with low pressure and an open mind. Plus interviewing is a skill (a massively valuable skill in financial terms) and opportunities to sharpen it through live practice are always valuable, IMO.

Good input, thanks to you both! I have pushed it so the interviews would be at least a week from now so I would know in advance if I have an offer from my first choice, and gives me time to book off. I think Eric is correct, it's good practice and I'm very much out of practice after not doing this for over 8 years.

My first choice (and frankly, dream job) interviews 2nd round starts today so fingers crossed I don't blow it horribly. I feel pretty confident with the prep work I've done just refreshing myself on what stuff I've actually done though so I'm not too nervous.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Oxxidation posted:

To follow up on this: I added my city/state to my resume and got three callbacks the next week. I have gotten more interviews in the month since, with no other changes to my resume, than I've had in the previous six months combined.

I don't know if it would be better or worse if this was just a coincidence.

poo poo i'll take credit at least :haw:

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.

Oh btw I didn't get this job.

I've been applying to jobs for over a year now – at least a hundred down – and I've basically lost all hope. I've gotten interviews for six jobs in 2021; one turned into the only offer I've gotten since I started, it was a bad offer but I probably should have taken it.

My current job sucks and is a total dead-end. Also, I am applying to nonprofits, and I have now heard from people close to hiring managers three times in the past two months: "oh you can apply, but they're only hiring PoC at this time, sorry." Being a queer Jew aint enough I guess.

I made a lot of bad decisions early on. I got the wrong job right out of school, when based on my internship experience I totally could have gotten one that made sense for what I wanted. I also went to grad school for the wrong thing. Now I'm 29 and applying for entry level poo poo on a regular basis, just because it's something.

I'm constantly hosed up about this, and it's affecting my relationships with my family, my friends, and my partner. I went into nonprofit work to make a difference and not to make a ton of money but I'm at the point where I'm considering getting an MBA and completely selling out and turning into one of the dickheads I went to high school with.

Sorry, just needed to vent. I'd post my resume here but I am far too afraid of the doxx.

I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, but you're only 29. That's not old. I am 40 and made a bunch of mistakes coming out of college, worked in sales, then in the non-profit advocacy world for a long time, and now I am going back to sales. I am a straight, white guy that would get first and sometimes second round interviews in progressive non-profits, because I had friends that would help me get them, but it was always with the caveat that unless I completely knock their socks off they are going with a PoC or an LGBTQ+ person, preferably someone that is both. In a couple of cases, I had board members put me in the mix and still would lose out to fresh out of college with just internship experience. It was incredibly frustrating.

If you worked in similar advocacy fields as me, then yeah, the whole "gently caress capitalism, burn the corporate world to the ground," is pretty much the tone. But, the groups I worked for were also happy to cash the large donation checks to fund the c4s, 527s and PACs that they all had from those industry behemoths, heirs to fortunes, and the megadonors that made their money in certainly unprogressive ways.

I don't mean to come across like an rear end in a top hat, but it is incredibly naïve to 1) even think about people from high school, because who gives a poo poo about them; 2) think that going into the corporate world is "selling out"; and 3) thinking that you can make a bigger difference in the non-profit world than you can in the corporate world. Seriously, it's not like you have to go work for Big Oil or Goldman Sachs or any of the other companies that don't align with your values. They are plenty of for profit places that have positions that allow you to live your values, make money and not feel guilty for doing both. I would seriously suggest seeing a therapist or career coach or someone that you know that has made the jump from non-profit to values based for profit. If your job search/current career path is causing as much hardship in your life as you say it is, then its time for some outside perspective. I say that as someone that regularly gets therapy.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Thanks for your post. I don't think you are being an rear end in a top hat and I value your perspective.

I. I think going corporate has a lot of benefits - pay chief among them - but I think it's also naïve to consider working at a corporation with decent values to be the same thing as working at a nonprofit. The enterprises exist for fundamentally different reasons. I went the nonprofit route because I get off when we actually seem to make a dent one way or the other, and I really like working with people who are primarily motivated by this. I also just don't have salary requirements that are that high, in part because I don't plan to have kids.

II. I am seeing a therapist, but am finding it doesn't help much because the situation is what is giving me angst and there is nothing about seeing a therapist that alters the situation. Hell, I could spend that hour on more job applications. Perspective only gets you so far. What I need to be doing is working with my graduate school – unlike my worthless artsy fartsy undergrad it is an Ivy League school and I need to be doing something to take advantage of the career services and alumni network I paid for. I don't know why I haven't been doing that yet but I want to get cracking on it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Lots of people who work for banks or retailers have made huge impacts in the lives of people. Lots of people who work for non-profits have done gently caress-all to make the world a better place. The Western world has conditioned us to believe our jobs constitute our value and the totality of who we are. They don't, it's bullshit.

If the path you've been trying isn't working for you, figure out another path. Your stated goals of "wanting to make a dent" are not at all at odds with work outside of the non-profit sector.

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

Thanks for your post. I don't think you are being an rear end in a top hat and I value your perspective.

I. I think going corporate has a lot of benefits - pay chief among them - but I think it's also naïve to consider working at a corporation with decent values to be the same thing as working at a nonprofit. The enterprises exist for fundamentally different reasons. I went the nonprofit route because I get off when we actually seem to make a dent one way or the other, and I really like working with people who are primarily motivated by this. I also just don't have salary requirements that are that high, in part because I don't plan to have kids.

II. I am seeing a therapist, but am finding it doesn't help much because the situation is what is giving me angst and there is nothing about seeing a therapist that alters the situation. Hell, I could spend that hour on more job applications. Perspective only gets you so far. What I need to be doing is working with my graduate school – unlike my worthless artsy fartsy undergrad it is an Ivy League school and I need to be doing something to take advantage of the career services and alumni network I paid for. I don't know why I haven't been doing that yet but I want to get cracking on it.

Yeah, hit those ivy league fuckers up. Completely anecdotal, but it seemed like everybody that I was on an even plane with, who then went on to Yale Forestry or some similar ivy league grad program made huge leaps to mid and mid-high level positions in national non-profits.

Good luck and I am sorry the therapy isn't helping.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Had a couple great interviews with members of the team I am interviewing for today and was scheduled to meet with the GM of the larger group and I'm sitting in a teams room just twiddling my thumbs 15 minutes in with no one showing up.. Is this a test?!? :haw:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Just came out of an interview where I was asked about a time I did something great and then how I would have done things differently. It seemed like he was fishing for a really specific answer and I couldn't wrap my mind around what he wanted. If he had something in mind he could just suggest it and we could discuss the pros vs cons like professionals. These calls really depress me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's a job interview, not a collegial discussion. You are supposed to be selling yourself and your capabilites. It's not a collaborative environment where you "discuss pros and cons like professionals" with your interviewer.

I'm not convinced that's a great question but the typical intent of that kind of question is to gauge your introspective ability and ability to be (productively) self critical.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Yeah I mean isn’t the point to figure out the most common questions and have answers like that ready

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

God drat it, at my 2nd round interviews end of last week they were going super well but the last person who is a GM apparently didn’t get the invite. So I sat in a teams room for a bit while emailing the recruiter about if everything is ok etc. Anyway they want to reschedule me talking to him but he is on vacation this week (leading me to suspect he may have dipped out early on Friday and why they couldn’t round him up).

So, the date they are floating is the same day another company has me for a full day interview. I’m going to try to get another day but if it is tough to move I’m going to see if I can move the other company full day. I’m much less interested in the other company, and it feels like I am 90% of the way there and I really just need to talk to this guy to get a blessing.

Dammit I was hoping this would all be wrapped up by now, but stuff happens. :sigh:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Just came out of an interview where I was asked about a time I did something great and then how I would have done things differently. It seemed like he was fishing for a really specific answer and I couldn't wrap my mind around what he wanted. If he had something in mind he could just suggest it and we could discuss the pros vs cons like professionals. These calls really depress me.

This is a real common question, and while I don't ask it directly I have a few questions that I use that fish around the same area. Many people are very quick to shift blame "What I should have done differently is not trusted my team" or "I shouldn't have let someone else do xyz", which are huge red flags. You ever work with someone who is convinced that they cannot fail but everyone can fail them? That's what an interviewer wants to avoid.

Your interviewer might have just been bad, I dunno, but if that was a part of the interview you struggled with put some thought into how you answered and if it was something that sounds genuine, and if you would want to work with someone who responds like that. Try to remove as much context as you can, and answer to a question like that should stand reasonably by itself.

I've had good interviews with people where we talked A LOT about past failures. Being able to do that effectively is a really good tool.

priznat posted:

Dammit I was hoping this would all be wrapped up by now, but stuff happens. :sigh:

That sucks man, and yeah pretty sure that guy dipped. But a good tip, Friday afternoons in August are poor interviewing days :haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yuuuup the 2nd round had already been spaced out from the first round by several weeks probably due to vacations and stuff. Oh well. It does suck being in an unknown zone until whenever they make a decision but just part of the game!

One thing I notice when interviewing is how if the interviewer starts smiling more and more and using future terms like “when you are here doing x” it seems like things are going well!

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I have a second round interview with a company Wednesday, that was originally supposed to be via video last week, but will now be in person at a coffee shop. Its the regional sales manager, and we have already talked once via video as a first round. There is at least one more round with the VP of Sales. I really want this job, but I just got an offer from another company. They gave me until the end of the week, which doesn't give me much time with the dream job.

When we meet, I am going to tell the regional manager that I have another offer in hand, and I need to know where I stand. Will that pretty much short circuit the interview, or what should I expect? The offer in hand is pretty good, and since I am unemployed at the moment I am going to take the job if the dream one doesn't happen.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Mr. Toodles posted:

I have a second round interview with a company Wednesday, that was originally supposed to be via video last week, but will now be in person at a coffee shop. Its the regional sales manager, and we have already talked once via video as a first round. There is at least one more round with the VP of Sales. I really want this job, but I just got an offer from another company. They gave me until the end of the week, which doesn't give me much time with the dream job.

When we meet, I am going to tell the regional manager that I have another offer in hand, and I need to know where I stand. Will that pretty much short circuit the interview, or what should I expect? The offer in hand is pretty good, and since I am unemployed at the moment I am going to take the job if the dream one doesn't happen.
Delay the first offer by negotiating for money. Expedite the dream job process by telling them you already have an offer on the table, but don't make it a dealbreaker such that they pull out.

If the timelines still don't align, accept the first offer and burn it if you get the dream job offer.

Pulling out of an accepted job offer really isn't that big a deal IMO except in very tightly knit industries.

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

Vegetable posted:

Delay the first offer by negotiating for money. Expedite the dream job process by telling them you already have an offer on the table, but don't make it a dealbreaker such that they pull out.

If the timelines still don't align, accept the first offer and burn it if you get the dream job offer.

Pulling out of an accepted job offer really isn't that big a deal IMO except in very tightly knit industries.

Thanks. Working on this now.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have a phone interview soon with a company. This job would be a semi-lateral move into a different career path but I would be starting probably just above entry level if I would guess.

I know you're never supposed to throw out a number but I'm concerned that this posting won't be able to match anywhere near what I would want to switch jobs.

Should I ask for their salary band (I'm in CA where that's supposed to be available) or still just let them make the first offer?

This is my first time looking for a job in like 20 years so it's all very new to me, especially since my last formal interview was with retail.

EDIT: They asked for my salary, I declined and they gave me a range and benefits summary and asked my salary again so I blurted out a number above that and probably tanked the whole thing. Oh well!

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 17, 2021

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I have a fourth interview tomorrow, with the people who would be working for me.

Should I interpret that as “about to get offered the job?” I’ve never had to talk to my future reports before

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

FCKGW posted:

EDIT: They asked for my salary, I declined and they gave me a range and benefits summary and asked my salary again so I blurted out a number above that and probably tanked the whole thing. Oh well!

If they gave you a range and the range was good then you just say that range would work for you or anchor at the top of it. If they gave you a range they named a number first and you didnt gently caress up. If your number was too high its good to know early.

Pillowpants posted:

I have a fourth interview tomorrow, with the people who would be working for me.

Should I interpret that as “about to get offered the job?” I’ve never had to talk to my future reports before

Thats a very good sign and a lot of interviews.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

It's a good sign and a good sign they give a poo poo. If your hiring a manager having the reports give feedback before a hire is a good idea and makes everyone feel less like someone was just thrust on them.

Whenever I've done that it was always when I had it narrowed down to one person. You usually don't want to have the reports meet worth a bunch of people and choose. It's usually a "yay or nay" thing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I am coming up on 2 months of interviews for the job I’m hoping for, it is by far the longest I have spent on getting a job. It is absolutely my dream job in every way though so I’m happy to be patient for it.

So far I have talked to:
- Internal Recruiter (phone screen)
- Hiring manager
- architect I would be working for
<3 week break in interviews>
- project manager
- sr manager on another group I would be working with often
- 2 engineers on my team I would be working with
Each of these were 1 hour Teams interviews other than the recruiter.

With the final interview coming up after a reschedule with the general manager. I really hope I have a solid shot at this because it has been a hell of an ordeal. All the interviews went really well and I am very happy on the prep work I’ve done. Having a few good stories about when something did not go to plan and what you did and telling it with a bit of good humour hopefully pays off.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

priznat posted:

I am coming up on 2 months of interviews for the job I’m hoping for, it is by far the longest I have spent on getting a job. It is absolutely my dream job in every way though so I’m happy to be patient for it.

So far I have talked to:
- Internal Recruiter (phone screen)
- Hiring manager
- architect I would be working for
<3 week break in interviews>
- project manager
- sr manager on another group I would be working with often
- 2 engineers on my team I would be working with
Each of these were 1 hour Teams interviews other than the recruiter.

With the final interview coming up after a reschedule with the general manager. I really hope I have a solid shot at this because it has been a hell of an ordeal. All the interviews went really well and I am very happy on the prep work I’ve done. Having a few good stories about when something did not go to plan and what you did and telling it with a bit of good humour hopefully pays off.

That's absolutely ridiculous from # of interviews to length of process. They're lucky you didn't get two other jobs during this time. It's getting exhausting how long hiring processes have become.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

If they gave you a range and the range was good then you just say that range would work for you or anchor at the top of it. If they gave you a range they named a number first and you didnt gently caress up. If your number was too high its good to know early.

The top of the range was same as my pay now. I might make the move if they were able to match my pay because it's more opportunity for growth and it's about 1/3 the commute time.
We'll see what they say, if they're still interested and come back at the top of their scale I'll probably take it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Chaotic Flame posted:

That's absolutely ridiculous from # of interviews to length of process. They're lucky you didn't get two other jobs during this time. It's getting exhausting how long hiring processes have become.

Yeah I have one with a different company next week too that is 6 people, one hour each.. I'm not even that interested in that one, ugh.

Unrelated what's the view on applying to different jobs at the same company, even when far along in an interview process? The current one I'm interviewing for would be my first choice but an interesting second option popped up just today. Debating just sending in an application for it now or waiting til the other one resolves (but judging by how it is going that could be a ways off). Think I'll do a CL tomorrow and just apply.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

how little time are people expecting to spend in various interviews? we probably ask for... roughly four hours of people's time (including phone screen), plus they have to prepare something for the interview which takes at least a couple hours but can be done over time between the phone screen and interview. that doesn't seem so bad and i'd probably be concerned about a company that was going to do two hours of interviews and call it good.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

how little time are people expecting to spend in various interviews? we probably ask for... roughly four hours of people's time (including phone screen), plus they have to prepare something for the interview which takes at least a couple hours but can be done over time between the phone screen and interview. that doesn't seem so bad and i'd probably be concerned about a company that was going to do two hours of interviews and call it good.

In consulting I’d expect that.

I can hire a legal assistant or office admin with a phone interview (1-hr if they’re good) and follow up interview (1-1.5hrs). Same with a software dev though for them I also give a take home that they have 48 hours to do with requirements sent at the time of their choosing and should take about 2-3 hours.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Since I've been interviewing like mad.

At the job I had rescinded - About 3 1/2 hours.
At the start up I ran away from - 5 hours
Of my current interviews
Non Profit: About 3 1/2 hours (Recruiter, Hiring Manager, The Team I'd work closely with, the team who work for me)
Biotech 1: I've had 2 hours so far
Biotech 2: I've had an hour so far, another 45 scheduled later today

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I'm in the process of applying for pharmaceutical positions back in Chicago. Out of the 15 applications I submitted, I have been rejected from seven. Out of those eight though, one company contacted me a week afterwards and asked if I was interested in an identical position but located in Indiana/Michigan instead. The hiring manager suggested that Chicago is a competitive market but my chances would be better if I applied for Indiana/Michigan instead.

Two weeks later, my application for Indiana/Michigan is moving along while my Illinois resume remains under consideration since that phone call. I would REALLY like to move back to Chicago, but should I hold out for a potential interview in Illinois or simply accept Indiana/Michigan if it becomes available?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

For hiring reasonably new software folks I do a 30 minute phone screen and a panel interview that is about 1.5 hours. There's an HR call too somewhere in there too, 15-30 minutes. We do ask they bring in projects we can talk through, for most people thats probably another hour or so to get re-acquainted with whatever code they wrote. For some it might require more, if you're interviewing actively you might not need hardly any time.

For more senior people I'd probably do 2 ~ 1 hours instead with 2 panels. We like to see project stuff there too but I don't necessarily expect something available. We've done a take-home thing then if needed.

So not all that much time. I used to do longer interviews but found they weren't super useful. So new people only about 2-3 hours, more experienced people 3-4 probably.

priznat posted:

Yeah I have one with a different company next week too that is 6 people, one hour each.. I'm not even that interested in that one, ugh.

Unrelated what's the view on applying to different jobs at the same company, even when far along in an interview process? The current one I'm interviewing for would be my first choice but an interesting second option popped up just today. Debating just sending in an application for it now or waiting til the other one resolves (but judging by how it is going that could be a ways off). Think I'll do a CL tomorrow and just apply.

I think you're too deep in to start tossing around more applications but if you have a recruiter contract maybe call and have a conversation about it? See what they say. I'd really shade it like "I am really interested in this company for blahblahblah".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

DTaeKim posted:

I'm in the process of applying for pharmaceutical positions back in Chicago. Out of the 15 applications I submitted, I have been rejected from seven. Out of those eight though, one company contacted me a week afterwards and asked if I was interested in an identical position but located in Indiana/Michigan instead. The hiring manager suggested that Chicago is a competitive market but my chances would be better if I applied for Indiana/Michigan instead.

Two weeks later, my application for Indiana/Michigan is moving along while my Illinois resume remains under consideration since that phone call. I would REALLY like to move back to Chicago, but should I hold out for a potential interview in Illinois or simply accept Indiana/Michigan if it becomes available?

My guess would be that internally your Chicago application is a dead letter: if they have more pressing need for people in Indiana and fewer applicants for Indiana, an application for Chicago-or-Indiana may technically still be alive for Chicago but they'll end up picking someone else for Chicago and offering you the Indiana job, if they make you an offer.

IMO if you really aren't interested in taking a job outside Chicago the better play was to just tell them sorry but I'm only looking in Chicago. Playing along with the Indiana thing makes it less likely, not more likely, that you'll be seriously considered for the Chicago job by that company.

I'm assuming here that at some level the same person is in charge of both teams. If they're siloed all/most of the way up then it may essentially be like applying at two different companies and your play might be fine. But beware, even then, if you accept the Indiana job it will automatically be considered as withdrawing your interest in the Chicago job.

The incorrigible cynic in me is also wary that there isn't actually an open position in Chicago and that posting is just an HR bait-and-switch to try to fill the Bumfuck, Nowhere position.