Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Finger Prince posted:

I mean, the choice of $100k seems arbitrary. It's pretty high given the median income in the US is like $31k, or $61k for household, but in certain select high income areas, it comes across as far too low. It just sounds like a number that was chosen purely for optics, which it probably was.

Yes but the benefit it applies to is a non-refundable tax credit, which means you need to make enough money but somehow not too much money (85k-99.9999k, single, 0 dependents, max 401k) to fully benefit from it. That and when you put into place a low msrp limit, you're going to filter out "rich" people anyways, since expensive cars are also a status symbol. The entire point of the bill was to minimize the number of people who benefit, and you know this is the case since it was largely passed by people who are known for not being EV advocates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Democrats means testing the absolute gently caress out of everything?

Say it ain’t so!

Saying three voted for it doesn't sound the same as "47 voted against it" though.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

Yes but the benefit it applies to is a non-refundable tax credit, which means you need to make enough money but somehow not too much money (85k-99.9999k, single, 0 dependents, max 401k) to fully benefit from it. That and when you put into place a low msrp limit, you're going to filter out "rich" people anyways, since expensive cars are also a status symbol. The entire point of the bill was to minimize the number of people who benefit, and you know this is the case since it was largely passed by people who are known for not being EV advocates

I understand your point, now you put it that way. I should have known better than to imagine senators representing their constituents, lol! I kind of get mixed up with motives, being more familiar with the Canadian method (MSRP limit but no income limit, and a fixed amount cash rebate), which I like, and the labyrinthine tax fiddling US method.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Lots of people posting lots of words about a non-binding resolution that means absolutely nothing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

cruft posted:

LOL, no, I hadn't even considered that.

What a world.

e: great googly moogly, what in the hell is going on with the used car market right now.

It followed the new car market up, and new cars are climbing because of shortages. Also, the rental companies hosed the market when they divested their fleets last year.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Deteriorata posted:

Lots of people posting lots of words about a non-binding resolution that means absolutely nothing.

They still need Manchin, Sinema and Kelly to pass the reconciliation bill which has the majority of the clean energy initiatives so their voting to cut tax credits for EVs, even in a non-binding fashion, is not a great sign if you’re hoping to see credits expanded.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They still need Manchin, Sinema and Kelly to pass the reconciliation bill which has the majority of the clean energy initiatives so their voting to cut tax credits for EVs, even in a non-binding fashion, is not a great sign if you’re hoping to see credits expanded.

Let me know when they vote on something that is an actual law.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Deteriorata posted:

Let me know when they vote on something that is an actual law.

You know if you’re not interested in the current conversation you can simply not post.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
LoL

How did I know Sinema would be on the list. She needs to be dropped in a tank of acid.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

YOLOsubmarine posted:

You know if you’re not interested in the current conversation you can simply not post.

To be fair this is still AI, not D&D, so it's fair for people to not be interested.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Charles posted:

To be fair this is still AI, not D&D, so it's fair for people to not be interested.

Yes, and they can just not post about it and instead post about something that does interest them. US EV credits and potential changes to them have been a hot topic in the thread lately and that involves engaging with American politics, which are extremely stupid.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I am in Canada and didn’t know that the EV credit could be applied as long as the base model was under 55k, I could swear I priced out a model 3 once and went above the price with the awd trim and all the credits on their site disappeared. I’m in BC perhaps it is different.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

priznat posted:

I am in Canada and didn’t know that the EV credit could be applied as long as the base model was under 55k, I could swear I priced out a model 3 once and went above the price with the awd trim and all the credits on their site disappeared. I’m in BC perhaps it is different.

For whatever reason, the only model 3 that qualifies is the standard range and standard range plus. So there's something going on with the way they decide whether something is an optional equipment package, or a next higher base price trim level. Like, if you could get a base model car x and adding the technology package pushes it above the limit, it still qualifies. But if you select the deluxe model that already includes the technology package but starts at a higher MSRP, that wouldn't qualify. So by picking the AWD model 3, which stars above $55k, you lose the rebate. That's my understanding anyway.
The master list:
https://tc.canada.ca/en/road-transportation/innovative-technologies/zero-emission-vehicles/list-eligible-vehicles-under-izev-program

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Citizen Z posted:

I really need Ford to make an EV Ranger.

They already did, twenty years ago.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I had to buy a friend dinner last night when I was proven wrong: there was, in fact, a hybrid F150, introduced last year.

Why didn't you jerks make sure I knew this?

You all owe me dinner now.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

cruft posted:

I had to buy a friend dinner last night when I was proven wrong: there was, in fact, a hybrid F150, introduced last year.

I think we discussed that once the lightning presentation came out so sorry but it’s not like we never talked about it :(

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I thought I saw comments about the Lightning test mules using Hybrid bodywork. Specifically seeing identical warnings about not using the power panel indoors. Which everyone agreed is a very important warning for the hybrid, but a rather dumb warning for the Lightning.

Granted, that may have been like a half page discussion at best.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

cruft posted:

Pretty sure it came up during the big Texas power outage because there was discussion about people using the onboard generator to power things in their houses.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Checked out the EUV today. Was pretty dang neat if only to see it in person

Kinda had a “…..huh….” moment with the lights which are actually in the bottom of the front and back of the car and what you think are lights are just the running lights? Felt smaller than what I thought it’d but at the same time there was a Bolt EV right next to it and honestly I couldn’t bloody tell the difference outside of some trim differences. Inside was ok, nothing too crazy. This had the super cruise / bigger screen option which looked good. No frunk either c’mon thats like a cool reason for an EV! Kinda swamped with meetings tomorrow but I might try to get a proper test ride in then or Thursday.

That said, we talked battery and charging and… I think I’ll pass. Napkin math tells me this will be sufficient like 95% of the time for my commute and like almost all my driving needs but I just know I’ll end up getting dragged on an actual longish trip and end up hating the (relatively) slower max charge to what else is out there. Good color but that sick looking orange some of the older Bolts/Volts had was way better and it’s no longer an option? Messed up. Dealer didn’t seem too excited about it and didn’t sound like there was any big push to get more of these out the door so who knows how long these will be available. They just happened to end up with a few ones to sell but c’mon Ohio get your poo poo together.

EDIT: lmao Doug loving loves saying EEE YOU VEE and he also talks about the light design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjetooD0z4A

Shock green/yellow is the only acceptable Bolt color.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

It's easy to argue against msrp limits, your second sentence effortlessly gives a really good argument against them. If the goal is to speed up ev adoption then the incentive should exist for all prices and manufacturers, with no limits (yes, get rid of the manufacturer limit too, let Tesla buyers back in). If it's specifically to help lower income people afford an ev then instead of an individual rebate we need to reimburse dealers who apply the discount directly to the sticker price

I think it's also to encourage manufacturers to release more EV econoboxes whose margins are lower, but who can bake in the credit as a profit margin.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Pretty sure it came up during the big Texas power outage because there was discussion about people using the onboard generator to power things in their houses.

I don't doubt this. But I'm thinkin' a burrito for dinner would be nice. Y'all start digging in your couches for spare change.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Looks like Kandi updated their website, and you can order some of them now!

They sell two versions of each model, one is a "real" car, the other is a "neighborhood electric vehicle" (like the Changli Freeman). The difference from what I can tell is the NEVs have an even smaller battery and speed limiters. These look like they're the only ones available so far.

I am very interested to see how many of these they sell. 10? 20? 21??

I'm also tempted to buy an official Kandi shirt and/or face mask.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
~~hydrogen stories~~

I have learned that the reason I can’t always pull the gas pump out right away is because it freezes to the car’s receptacle. Had a nice little ring of frost around the car’s nozzle when I did get it out, maybe 90 seconds after the fill up.

Also the car has a bit too much off-the-line pep for the tires sometimes. Made a little squeal at a green light last night.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Tayter Swift posted:

~~hydrogen stories~~

I have learned that the reason I can’t always pull the gas pump out right away is because it freezes to the car’s receptacle. Had a nice little ring of frost around the car’s nozzle when I did get it out, maybe 90 seconds after the fill up.

https://memes.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/0f14ea87-3e9f-4fa8-a68c-10d73d742107

Tayter Swift posted:

Also the car has a bit too much off-the-line pep for the tires sometimes. Made a little squeal at a green light last night.

Yeah I've had to learn to make sure there's grip before accelerating in the Spark EV because of this. If I just gun it at a light I'll just sit there and spin.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Wayne Knight posted:

Looks like Kandi updated their website, and you can order some of them now!

They sell two versions of each model, one is a "real" car, the other is a "neighborhood electric vehicle" (like the Changli Freeman). The difference from what I can tell is the NEVs have an even smaller battery and speed limiters. These look like they're the only ones available so far.

I am very interested to see how many of these they sell. 10? 20? 21??

I'm also tempted to buy an official Kandi shirt and/or face mask.

That is significantly more than the Changli's advertised price. I mean, it looks like a significantly better car, to. But you could get a used Leaf for half that price, and get more range as well as freeway speeds and seating for four.

On the other hand, you probably don't need a driver license for this in most US states.

I wonder who's going to buy one.

e: oh, this has seating for four too. I guess if you're going to get technical, the Leaf has seating for five. :colbert:

cruft fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 12, 2021

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Wayne Knight posted:

https://memes.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/0f14ea87-3e9f-4fa8-a68c-10d73d742107

Yeah I've had to learn to make sure there's grip before accelerating in the Spark EV because of this. If I just gun it at a light I'll just sit there and spin.

WTF, are you disabling the traction control? Even a LEAF has more than enough power to blow the tires off, but the electronic systems mostly forbid it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

LRADIKAL posted:

WTF, are you disabling the traction control? Even a LEAF has more than enough power to blow the tires off, but the electronic systems mostly forbid it.

The 2014 Spark EV has 400 ft lbs, not sure about the following years but still a lot

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah mine's a 2014. The tires are probably getting close to needing to be replaced, too. Traction control will kick in, but after a good bit of spin.

Just way too much power for those tiny ecopias.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Torque truly is cheap.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

Come on Paul we're just asking you to put in your share of the tip, we just had a nice lunch why do you always do this

EV thread mk 3 - C'mon Paul we just had a nice lunch why do you always do this.

Digging the new thread title :D.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cruft posted:

Well we don't *have* public transit here, so.

Actually that's not true, it exists. I went to the airport on public transit once, for anecdotes. It took about 6 hours each way, and involved three busses and a train. It was a depressing moment for me, at that time I chaired the county transportation board, and was still under the illusion that I could make things better.

Anyway, I priced it out and it would cost more to sell the car and buy a newer one with a bigger battery. But not significantly more.

Between now and when cruft Jr goes off to school, I'm counting on people resuming crashing their cars into things back at the 2019 levels, so we can get the replacement battery a lot cheaper than what it's currently at. Fingers crossed.

The used car market is nuts because there basically are no new cars in quantity due to shortages of, well, everything, but mainly computer processors.

Sell the LEaf now, make as much bank as you can, and buy a better one when prices drop back down to sane levels, if that's possible.

cruft posted:

Dude used one here in the Dallas area during the Snowpacolypse to power his and his neighbors houses (not all at the same time.)

e: f,b.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

cruft posted:

I thought that everyone knew about that because of this gimmick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEIN6-cVLRg

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Platystemon posted:

I thought that everyone knew about that because of this gimmick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEIN6-cVLRg

Or all the people in Texas who powered their homes with their F-150s during the blackout.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Hi EV thread, minor housekeeping -

quote:

How did I know Sinema would be on the list. She needs to be dropped in a tank of acid.

While I understand the frustration about poo poo politicans (lord knows I share that frustration and anger), there's a preference by Something Awful admins these days that wishing death or hurt on politicans or other people not be posted.

I'll be happy to discuss via PM if anyone has questions or wants clarification.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 13, 2021

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Gonna drive-by post (heh :c00l:) a cool picture I took of my car earlier:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Westy543 posted:

Gonna drive-by post (heh :c00l:) a cool picture I took of my car earlier:

go post it in D&D

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

cruft posted:

The battery replacement on the Leaf is probably topical, so I'll talk about it more.

The procedure currently appears to be:

• buy the battery off a totaled Leaf in a junkyard
  • swap it into your car
  • screw around with the firmware until the car thinks it has a lot bigger battery
  • maybe do something to the suspension?

Right now this procedure, which can replace my 30kWh battery with a 60kWh one, is costing between $10k and $11k. And I have to drive 1000+ miles to get to a shop that will do it, which is going to be quite the adventure. But I'm up for it! We once drove a VW Vanagon 1000 miles to San Luis Obispo to get an engine replaced: we made it into a Route 66 tour and it was fun.

I suppose it's also possible for me to do this myself. I'd have to borrow a lift or something, and watch a whole lot of YouTube, but I feel pretty confident with electricity. And I could force cruft jr. to help, which might be a valuable learning experience. Hmmm.

I see you have a 30 kWh - so did I. If you can burn out the battery enough that its down to 8 bars, Nissan will do all the work for you for free!
I now have a 40 kWh in a 2016 leaf - which isn't 200 miles, but instead is 230 km - you just need to trick junior into not understanding unit conversion!

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

“Blue” hydrogen is worse for the climate than coal, study says (Ars Technica)

quote:

When produced using solar and wind power, hydrogen is a zero-carbon fuel, and while refitting natural gas infrastructure would be expensive, it would give gas-only utilities a reason to exist.

The problem is that producing so-called “green” hydrogen is expensive and will remain so for a decade or more, according to forecasts.

To buy themselves time, utilities and oil and gas companies have proposed producing hydrogen from natural gas. Most hydrogen today is made by exposing natural gas to high heat, pressure, and steam in a process that creates carbon dioxide as a byproduct. In what’s called “gray” hydrogen, all that carbon dioxide is released into the atmosphere. In “blue” hydrogen, facilities capture the carbon dioxide and sell it or store it, usually deep underground.
Blue hydrogen is viewed by some as a bridge fuel, a way to build the hydrogen economy while waiting for green hydrogen prices to come down. In the meantime, blue hydrogen is also supposed to pollute less than gray hydrogen, natural gas, or other carbon-intensive fuel sources.

Except blue hydrogen may not be low-carbon at all, according to a new peer-reviewed study. In fact, the study says the climate may be better off if we just burned coal instead.

The new study also casts doubt on some plans to shift transportation to hydrogen. Some sectors, like freight and aviation, may end up requiring hydrogen for certain routes. But cars and trucks, which many countries say must be zero-emitting by 2035 or sooner, will have a harder time justifying a switch to hydrogen over straight electrification. Companies that have bet their future on hydrogen, like Toyota, are in a tight spot as their bridge to a truly zero-carbon portfolio takes a hit.

The conclusion from the original study is pretty brutal:

quote:

This best-case scenario for producing blue hydrogen, using renewable electricity instead of natural gas to power the processes, suggests to us that there really is no role for blue hydrogen in a carbon-free future. Greenhouse gas emissions remain high, and there would also be a substantial consumption of renewable electricity, which represents an opportunity cost. We believe the renewable electricity could be better used by society in other ways, replacing the use of fossil fuels.

Similarly, we see no advantage in using blue hydrogen powered by natural gas compared with simply using the natural gas directly for heat. As we have demonstrated, far from being low emissions, blue hydrogen has emissions as large as or larger than those of natural gas used for heat (Figure 1; Table 1; Table 2). The small reduction in carbon dioxide emissions for blue hydrogen compared with natural gas are more than made up for by the larger emissions of fugitive methane. Society needs to move away from all fossil fuels as quickly as possible, and the truly green hydrogen produced by electrolysis driven by renewable electricity can play a role. Blue hydrogen, though, provides no benefit. We suggest that blue hydrogen is best viewed as a distraction, something than may delay needed action to truly decarbonize the global energy economy, in the same way that has been described for shale gas as a bridge fuel and for carbon capture and storage in general.43 We further note that much of the push for using hydrogen for energy since 2017 has come from the Hydrogen Council, a group established by the oil and gas industry specifically to promote hydrogen, with a major emphasis on blue hydrogen.5 From the industry perspective, switching from natural gas to blue hydrogen may be viewed as economically beneficial since even more natural gas is needed to generate the same amount of heat.

We emphasize that our analysis in this paper is a best-case scenario for blue hydrogen. It assumes that the carbon dioxide that is captured can indeed be stored indefinitely for decades and centuries into the future. In fact, there is no experience at commercial scale with storing carbon dioxide from carbon capture, and most carbon dioxide that is currently captured is used for enhanced oil recovery and is released back to the atmosphere.44 Further, our analysis does not consider the energy cost and associated greenhouse gas emissions from transporting and storing the captured carbon dioxide. Even without these considerations, though, blue hydrogen has large climatic consequences. We see no way that blue hydrogen can be considered “green.”

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jesus christ and it's not even just a little worse than natural gas, that's like a full 20% greater greenhouse gas footprint. So with blue hydrogen a little bit of the CO2 is captured in exchange for emitting way more methane than natural gas. Sweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

Jesus christ and it's not even just a little worse than natural gas, that's like a full 20% greater greenhouse gas footprint. So with blue hydrogen a little bit of the CO2 is captured in exchange for emitting way more methane than natural gas. Sweet

Pretty much.

The authors did a sensitivity analysis of the methane emissions produced by blue hydrogen in a variety of scenarios and none of the results were encouraging.

Here is Table 2 from the paper (the sources for these values are provided in the section above the table)

There's a typo in the first column of the second row; it should say "GWP20 = 86" rather than "GWP20 = 8", but that doesn't affect the values in the remaining columns.