Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I feel like absent some strange situation where a new version of a car I want is only like 1k more than a used one with 30k on the clock or something I'm just never going to buy a new car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

I feel like absent some strange situation where a new version of a car I want is only like 1k more than a used one with 30k on the clock or something I'm just never going to buy a new car

Yeah that's where I was. I got another Scion with 30k miles on it (2015) for $13k out the door. That's less than half of what I would have paid OTD for the Civic.

And really the only thing the civic had going for it over the Scion was the smooth as silk manual trans mated to the K series. The interior was no better at all, I remember thinking they got the carpet from the Walmart auto section, like the poo poo you buy in rolls that's how cheap and lovely it was. Seat material wasn't much better, it was not a step up from the Scion at all. I couldn't get past the cheap interior and that's what made up my mind pretty much.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah that's where I was. I got another Scion with 30k miles on it (2015) for $13k out the door. That's less than half of what I would have paid OTD for the Civic.

And really the only thing the civic had going for it over the Scion was the smooth as silk manual trans mated to the K series. The interior was no better at all, I remember thinking they got the carpet from the Walmart auto section, like the poo poo you buy in rolls that's how cheap and lovely it was. Seat material wasn't much better, it was not a step up from the Scion at all. I couldn't get past the cheap interior and that's what made up my mind pretty much.

yeah but civics are actually fun to drive

and quick

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
and they have something a scion will never, ever have: resale value retention

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I could probably sell mine now for exactly what I paid for it lol.

And yes the Civic was more fun to drive, and maybe if I lived in an area that was actually fun to drive in I would take stock in that, but I don't so that had no factor either.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

I couldn't get past the cheap interior

my vote for next thread title

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Also the Civic wasn't exactly quick, the sport I drove had the n/a K series in it. I imagine the turbo civics are a good bit quicker but I didn't drive any of those.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Also the Civic wasn't exactly quick, the sport I drove had the n/a K series in it. I imagine the turbo civics are a good bit quicker but I didn't drive any of those.

Was it the 10th Gen Sport? I’m pretty sure that only comes with the 1.5l Turbo, in the US at least

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Rhyno posted:

It's the best Ford blue ever. It looks so good in person.

This is a very viable option EDIT this has a MOUNTUNE badge on it but no details. very curious.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ickType=listing

Edit: three years older, same price, no Recaros but the COLOR
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ickType=listing

For context I paid $2k more than the blue FiST for my Focus ST new. That car is basically new car priced with used car finance rates.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Was it the 10th Gen Sport? I’m pretty sure that only comes with the 1.5l Turbo, in the US at least

Yes but the sedan so K series only, the sport hatch had the turbo tho. At that time the hatch was more expensive, plus I didn't want to deal with the turbo issues those cars were having. Hopefully Honda has dealt with that by now.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!
You can get the K series in the hatchback. Its the 2.0 liter option, comes with Android auto and the red seatbelts.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah now you can. The last gen you couldn't afaik, if there were some produced there weren't any within a 500 mile radius from me.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Fit R when??

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Never. 👎

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Where's my Spark SS Chevy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
brown manual 300hp rwd honda accord type r wagon for $25000 when

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

brown manual 300hp rwd honda accord type r wagon for $25000 when

Didn't Volvo make one of those

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I wish Toyota had made an Avalon wagon.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Enos Cabell posted:

I wish Toyota had made an Avalon wagon.

They made something much better, Crown Estate Athlete.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

KakerMix posted:

They made something much better, Crown Estate Athlete.

Oh drat, can those be imported to US yet?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Enos Cabell posted:

Oh drat, can those be imported to US yet?

No, wasn't made till 1999, currently we're at 1996 and older. Three more years.
The Stegea us up for import very, very soon though!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
What say ye hot hatch thread about this 2014 FoST?

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/d/buffalo-2014-ford-focus-st/7360684826.html

The color is a bummer but price seems good.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Cage posted:

What say ye hot hatch thread about this 2014 FoST?

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/d/buffalo-2014-ford-focus-st/7360684826.html

The color is a bummer but price seems good.

Seems like a 12k (at highest) car. But it looks clean. Right now is such a hard time to buy cars…

Look at the rocker panels and the interior of the rear wheel well. Lack of recaros should be something to drive a harder bargain.

e: looks like it does have recaros. Still. A 12k car, if it’s clean.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 14, 2021

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Those don't look like the Recaros I'm used to but maybe they differ with market. It does have a much larger screen than what you'd see on an older ST here, wonder if that's been upgraded later.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Those are the ST3 full leather Recaros, so it should have the other ST3 goodies as well - sunroof, nav, heated steering wheel (unless that was a facelift thing), heated seats. The screen looks to be the same size as the one on my boyfriend's 2014 ST so I'm pretty sure that's stock. The exhaust tips are stock too so they've either never upgraded it (surprising) or put a stock one back on (difficult, look for welds, the stock one usually has to be cut off to replace with aftermarket). 65k is not a bad mileage for these cars, as long as it's given a spirited thrashing once in awhile. Their happy place is about 3k RPM. All my experience is with a 2016 which is post-facelift so YMMV but I'd definitely go look at it if it's not too far for you.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I had a 2013 ST3, can confirm that would be ST3 trim. The pre facelift did not have a heated wheel. The screen is stock Sync/MFT2 and it is probably the worst loving system on earth.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How hard is it to upgrade?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rhyno posted:

it shouldn't be hard at all, but it might cost you, depending on how much you want to dig around for parts vs just buying a kit. I was looking into going SYNC 2-->SYNC 3 on my new used FiST and for now I'm just gonna leave it and mount my phone. It's like $500 at the low end if you source all your poo poo and buy individual components that work from Ali/etc and $1500 if you want something turnkey from like 4Dtech.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah that sounds too expensive and annoying to upgrade. I currently have an Echo Auto plugged in and it's fairly useless other than music. I've been loading up an old Zune in my spare time so I would probably be fine with anything stock.

I've expanded my search, there's a solid 12 viable cars within 500 miles of me. Hoping for Recaros and a sunroof.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 14, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Couple of thoughts on the recaros:

1) Dunno how big you are Rhyno but just beware that the seats are quite snug. They'll break in a bit but if you are a bigger dude they might be a challenge. For reference when I owned the ST3 I was about 175 at 5'10 and they fit me just about perfectly.

2) My wife also HATED the passenger seat - didn't mind the driver's seat on the ST3 because it had a few more adjustments but she could never get comfortable in the passenger seat. This is evidently a common problem, there are lots of people on the ST forums bitching about it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The recaros in the FiST are not the recaros in the FoST, but I loving hated the way the recaros in the FiST felt. They also seemed to age really poorly, of the few I saw most had their side bolster foam all collapsed and you could easily feel the metal frame under the fabric.

I’m quite happy with my basic ST seats aside from the lack of heating and the ugly surface rust on the frames that apparently all cheap Fords develop within their first two years. You have to look under the seats to see it tho.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm smaller than that. I've sat in them and I really like them. I know I've sat in the normal seats but I can't really remember anything standout about them, good or bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...sting=308577874

Pros
Price
Sunroof
Low miles
Best color

Cons
No Recaros
Front end accident
360 miles away

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The screen is stock Sync/MFT2 and it is probably the worst loving system on earth.
Having used Infiniti and Cadillac's systems, MFT is entirely fine. It's not good, but I really have never understood the hate it gets.

Considering it's Windows CE running Flash the fact that it works as well as it does is honestly amazing, and the UI is not terrible.

I haven't ever tried the nav as I don't have it, but who the hell has cared about built-in nav since Google Maps became a thing?

That said, I recently rented a car with Android Auto for a week and got used to it, so...

Rhyno posted:

I have the parts arriving tomorrow for my Sync 3 upgrade in my FiST. I've had the screen for a while but couldn't find an APIM at a price I liked, but I found a package of both on eBay and went for it. I will of course be posting about it.

As far as I understand it the process is more or less the same for all Fords of the era other than the specifics of getting the parts out of the dash. AFAIK the APIMs are all the same, just the screens vary.

Ok Comboomer posted:

it shouldn't be hard at all, but it might cost you, depending on how much you want to dig around for parts vs just buying a kit. I was looking into going SYNC 2-->SYNC 3 on my new used FiST and for now I'm just gonna leave it and mount my phone. It's like $500 at the low end if you source all your poo poo and buy individual components that work from Ali/etc and $1500 if you want something turnkey from like 4Dtech.
Cheaper than that. I paid $220 for my screen and APIM. I also got one of the backup camera harness adapters for $35 because I'm lazy but adding two pins to the harness isn't hard. Another $30 or so for an OBD2 adapter with the CAN switch preinstalled, or less if you feel like fiddling with a cheap adapter on your own, and then a few minutes with a Windows laptop.

edit: Well, speak of the devil, look what was in the mailbox a day early...

wolrah fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 16, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MFT3 is perfectly good, MFT2 was hot garbage and super buggy.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

MFT3 is perfectly good, MFT2 was hot garbage and super buggy.
I recall when it was brand new it was hated. My car is a 2015 though so there were only two updates released after I bought it. Maybe most of the problems were fixed in earlier updates?

The patch that came out a few weeks after I got my car fixed a crash I had when opening the Sirius channel list, then there was another patch a year or two later that was the final one which I'm not even sure what it did. I've never experienced any severe instability. The Bluetooth app has a bit of a meltdown maybe once a month, but it's easily fixed by just using voice controls to switch to any other audio source..

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Doesn't the post-facelift have Sync 3 or am I imagining things?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

SYNC 3 was added in 2016, IIRC

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Facelift was for model year 2014, I have one of the first examples of a base model Fiesta from that model year and it still had SYNC 2

By the way, it's mostly broken now and can no longer play media of any kind, and I'm now too lazy to go try and reflash the software again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My 2016 RS was shipped with sync 2, but with hardware capable of running 3 if you flashed it yourself.