Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

I'm not familiar with the rules on parliamentary procedure. Does Trudeau really have the power to unilaterally dissolve parliament and start an election or would it have to come up to a vote?

No vote he just needs to ask the Governor General since it's technically her prerogative, but the only time it's ever been refused it triggered a major constitutional crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Won't work here in Manitoba since Pallister's ghoul patrol hosed healthcare 3 ways from sunday.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

infernal machines posted:

The CPC is an utter shambles internally and Erin O'Tool is about as popular as the clap even with people who would otherwise vote conservative. The only way for the Liberals to end up with a minority here is if they completely and utterly poo poo themselves on the national stage in some presently unforeseeable way.

Erin O'Toole: "Please admit that climate change is real."
Conservative delegates: "No."

It's hard to see how he picks up seats if, over his objection, his party takes a stance that is deeply unpopular with Canadians.

Kraftwerk posted:

I'm not familiar with the rules on parliamentary procedure. Does Trudeau really have the power to unilaterally dissolve parliament and start an election or would it have to come up to a vote?

As prime minister, he can advise the governor general to dissolve Parliament and issue writs of election. There is not any reason at present for her to refuse.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

tagesschau posted:

Erin O'Toole: "Please admit that climate change is real."
Conservative delegates: "No."

It's hard to see how he picks up seats if, over his objection, his party takes a stance that is deeply unpopular with Canadians.

Yeah, it's pretty funny to see a major federal party so completely at odds with the positions of its own leadership. I guess maybe the Greens did it first, but it's not as if you could tell.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yes

The CPC is an utter shambles internally and Erin O'Tool is about as popular as the clap even with people who would otherwise vote conservative. The only way for the Liberals to end up with a minority here is if they completely and utterly poo poo themselves on the national stage in some presently unforeseeable way.

Well the classic question that remains to be answered for this cycle is how many ABC voters, seeing that the conservatives are in shambles, decide to vote NDP rather than Liberal. The Liberals will surely win the election, but whether they come up with a majority is still very much an open question.

For whatever it's worth (very little) the 338 Projection has them at 48% majority odds. Random newcomer CalculatedPolitics thinks the Liberals have a much better shot at a majority, but they also think the Liberals are going to pick up four seats in Alberta, which uhhh, lol.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 12, 2021

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Yes

What if something crazy happens like Justin Trudeau gets caught up in a blackface scandal

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I'm probably voting NDP in this election even though I know that Richmond Hill will only ever be Conservative or Liberal. The NDP haven't won this seat in it's entire history, including all its previous iterations before redistricting.

edit: In 2019 the liberal candidate won by like 300 votes. Every time the libs lose confidence the vote splits to Conservative and NDP with the NDP holding the balance of votes that would be needed to keep the conservatives from having the seat. It's pretty tight.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 12, 2021

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
If you aren't basing your entire voting decision on who has the better environmental policies, gtfo

eta some actual content:

Conservatives: Obviously not.
Liberals: Bought a pipeline lol
Greens: Maybe when they are done purging the splittists?
NDP: Guess we're here by default.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

PittTheElder posted:

For whatever it's worth (very little) the 338 Projection has them at 48% majority odds.

lol, I just learned that Eric Grenier left CBC to found a subscription-only website. His reasons read like basically it was getting too hard and not fun for him to pretend to be a journalist in addition to a wholly unqualified not-actually-statistician.

Imagine watching his tepid analysis on CBC for years and being excited to shell out $6.99/month for more of that drivel.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Franks Happy Place posted:

If you aren't basing your entire voting decision on who has the better environmental policies, gtfo

eta some actual content:

Conservatives: Obviously not.
Liberals: Bought a pipeline lol
Greens: Maybe when they are done purging the splittists?
NDP: Guess we're here by default.

PPC: Worse than Conservatives in every way
BQ: hahahahah if it affects Quebec then maybe!
Communist Party: Radical promises but lol no one's going to vote them in

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Kraftwerk posted:

I'm probably voting NDP in this election even though I know that Richmond Hill will only ever be Conservative or Liberal. The NDP haven't won this seat in it's entire history, including all its previous iterations before redistricting.

edit: In 2019 the liberal candidate won by like 300 votes. Every time the libs lose confidence the vote splits to Conservative and NDP with the NDP holding the balance of votes that would be needed to keep the conservatives from having the seat. It's pretty tight.

Glad you're doing the right thing and giving up strategic voting. The last time I voted Liberal because it was a toss up between them and the CPC we got a pipeline we don't loving need didnt get the voting reform we really did need pretty much gently caress all in the way of assistance for first nations peoples and when the federal police force let some crazy rear end cop cosplayer shoot up a town with a bunch of stuff the RCMP knew about, knew he shouldn't legally have, and could have taken from him at any time, not a single loving lib stood up and said 'this could have been prevented with the laws we already have in place why wasn't it?' and instead did a thing that's going to cost us millions, potentially billions, and will probably not increase public safety in the slightest.

Everyone considering voting for the Liberals needs to quit voting for the libs, as long as they keep winning because all they have to be is slightly less lovely than the CPC nothing is going to get better.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 12, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PittTheElder posted:

Well the classic question that remains to be answered for this cycle is how many ABC voters, seeing that the conservatives are in shambles, decide to vote NDP rather than Liberal. The Liberals will surely win the election, but whether they come up with a majority is still very much an open question.

For whatever it's worth (very little) the 338 Projection has them at 48% majority odds. Random newcomer CalculatedPolitics thinks the Liberals have a much better shot at a majority, but they also think the Liberals are going to pick up four seats in Alberta, which uhhh, lol.

We might see some breaks in fortress Toronto but I have my doubts that the NDP have suddenly stopped being the second choice for a significant number of people.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

Communist Party: Radical promises but lol no one's going to vote them in

I can never remember, was it the Communist Party of Canada or the Communist Party Of Canada (Marxist-Leninist) you vote for if you're really into Enver Hoxha and filling Edmonton with bunkers?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

PittTheElder posted:

I don't know about 4, but I can see downtown Calgary going Liberal again and quite possibly the NE where George Chahal is running. It's not outside the realm of possibility.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

Quit voting for the libs, as long as they keep winning because all they have to be is slightly less lovely than the CPC nothing is going to get better.

Why are you telling the person who said they're voting NDP and in fact never said anything at all about voting Liberal to quit voting for the libs?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The election is really going to be a contest between the liberals and voter apathy.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I mean I guess I might vote voter apathy but I don't really feel like voting

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Last election I voted Green in Kitchener Centre. I have friends who know the candidate well and he seemed like a good pick and ran a great campaign with a lot of outreach. He came in n second. I think he's running for the greens again but lol that party imploded I'm not going to vote for them now.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm open to voting NDP but my standard is that the local candidate must at least try to contact me one (1) time not as part of an e-mail campaign, because I voted NDP last election and it was perfectly clear based on the candidate's behaviour they had no interest in actually winning whatsoever.

I mean, even the PPC candidate attempted to distribute literature. The NDP candidate was a complete non-entity and I'm not having that.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

PT6A posted:

I'm open to voting NDP but my standard is that the local candidate must at least try to contact me one (1) time not as part of an e-mail campaign, because I voted NDP last election and it was perfectly clear based on the candidate's behaviour they had no interest in actually winning whatsoever.

A lot of NDP candidates are a waste.
Remember Ruth Ellen Brosseau?? Won her election while she was on vacation in Vegas. To her credit she stepped the gently caress up despite having poor command of French for the community she was elected in and was re-elected before the NDP got washed back out of Quebec.

The MP for Etobicoke was poo poo too while the Liberal showed up to my door to personally introduce himself and have a serious discussion with me. All the aspiring, social climbing, politically savvy people join the Liberals or the CPC if they want a political career. Consider Belinda Stronach for example. Party affiliation matters little for a lot of MPs I don't think it's an ideological decision. I think it's a personal career decision you make for your benefit first and foremost.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Give jagmeet a chance to form a coalition government with O'Toole

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

party politics is strong enough in federal politics too that the individual mp matters very little, unless they're an important career politician who is going to affect change as a minister or something. that no name mp contacting you is just going to be whipped into voting the party line no matter what they tell you during election season

all the more reason that proportional representation is important in our system

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Even most cabinet ministers are spineless lackeys

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

party politics is strong enough in federal politics too that the individual mp matters very little, unless they're an important career politician who is going to affect change as a minister or something. that no name mp contacting you is just going to be whipped into voting the party line no matter what they tell you during election season

Exactly, they're vote dispensers for the PMO or party leader. Majority governments are de-facto 4 year dictatorships in Canada. Even the British parliament had more defecting MPs than ours. The worst I've seen is NDP politicians from northern parts of Canada voting against stricter gun control measures.

While I support the NDP on paper for lack of a better alternative, I strongly believe they're an incompetent party of grifters whose careers depend on running some kind of political apparatus without any real plan or organizations to properly assuming government. I look forward to being proven wrong one day but for now I see them as a 15-20 seat fiefdom in Ottawa that self perpetuates itself from dissenting left wing voters who are sufficiently concentrated enough in their key ridings. That's it... say moderately leftwing poo poo, associate with your traditional power centers and reel in that fundraising/election money/parliamentary salary.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 12, 2021

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Why are you telling the person who said they're voting NDP and in fact never said anything at all about voting Liberal to quit voting for the libs?

I should have prefaced that last statement with 'everyone considering voting for the Liberals needs to', which I'll do right now. That statement wasn't meant to be read as directed specifically at Kraftwerk.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Ok, but they still have to pretend like they're going to try and convince people apart from myself to vote for them, instead of relying on national political ads. I don't mean this from a "western grievance" perspective, but they really do ignore the very possibility that they could win in Calgary. If they are going to treat their defeat in my riding as a foregone conclusion, why exactly should I bother voting for them? The Liberals at least entertain the idea they could win here, even if they usually don't.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
Bonnie Henry just announced vaccinations are mandatory for all LTC/assisted living workers starting October 12th. That means if you’re not vaxxed and you’d like to keep your job, you’ve got about two weeks to submit to the tyranny of Horgan. It’s going to be a fun two weeks in health care.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

filling Edmonton with bunkers

Hmm. Compelling.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Kraftwerk posted:

I'm in much the same boat in Edmonton Centre. I probably can't bring myself to vote for the Lib candidate (former MP Randy Boissonault) even though the seat is much more likely to go Liberal than NDP, and the split-vote would be more than enough to defeat the current Tory incumbent. But Boissonault is kind of a useless backbencher, and the Liberals are, well, Libbing poo poo up as usual.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

prom candy posted:

What if something crazy happens like Justin Trudeau gets caught up in a blackface scandal

We had a referendum on blackface and Canadians came together in a unified voice to say, "it's good, actually"

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

MikeSevigny posted:

Bonnie Henry just announced vaccinations are mandatory for all LTC/assisted living workers starting October 12th. That means if you’re not vaxxed and you’d like to keep your job, you’ve got about two weeks to submit to the tyranny of Horgan. It’s going to be a fun two weeks in health care.

She also said this:
https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/1425905310351253505?s=19

So uh, cool

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

If you work healthcare, LTC or teaching and are unvaxxed without a legit reason, I'm fine if you get fired.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

queeb posted:

If you work healthcare, LTC or teaching and are unvaxxed without a legit reason, I'm fine if you get fired.

Out of a cannon, tbh.

Like, if you can't get vaccinated for some reason then you should be given alternative duties, but if it's because you're selfish, society should see no problem in simply doing away with you. We wouldn't allow a nurse smoking on the ward just because they really want to, why do we have to tolerate this?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

I should have prefaced that last statement with 'everyone considering voting for the Liberals needs to', which I'll do right now. That statement wasn't meant to be read as directed specifically at Kraftwerk.

Oh yeah, that's fair. Although I don't know how many of them post here.

PT6A posted:

Out of a cannon, tbh.

Like, if you can't get vaccinated for some reason then you should be given alternative duties, but if it's because you're selfish, society should see no problem in simply doing away with you. We wouldn't allow a nurse smoking on the ward just because they really want to, why do we have to tolerate this?

I was speaking with someone who works in a LTC centre in rural Ontario and she was talking about how many of her coworkers are refusing to get vaccinated. It was mind boggling, even more so that they can, and they can keep their jobs.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

queeb posted:

I found out which of my co-workers in health care are not vaccinated and I really wish I hadn't because I'm so loving angry with them.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eXXon posted:

lol, I just learned that Eric Grenier left CBC to found a subscription-only website. His reasons read like basically it was getting too hard and not fun for him to pretend to be a journalist in addition to a wholly unqualified not-actually-statistician.

Imagine watching his tepid analysis on CBC for years and being excited to shell out $6.99/month for more of that drivel.

It's worth reiterating in the runup to this election that seat projections in Canada are literally worthless. We do not have data to support anything but fanciful guesswork at the riding level, and so no way of meaningfully projecting seat counts. Trying to treat them as any more meaningful than tea leaves or chicken gizzards is hubris.

Doubly so for any website that would purport to tell you how to vote strategically. The only strategy they can reasonably advise is to vote for the party the makers of the website support It's always the Liberals.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Albino Squirrel posted:

I found out which of my co-workers in health care are not vaccinated and I really wish I hadn't because I'm so loving angry with them.

When my wife and I were taking pre-natal classes immediately pre-COVID the nurse running them was dead set against getting the flu shot and the mother of another pregnant lady was extolling the benefits of colloidal silver. There is so much woo and snake oil out there that it felt like it was the 1920s instead of the 2020s.

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013
Lead Now tried to do riding level polls. But mostly got drowned out by the national conversation. Unless you poll multiple elections in a row, you are never going to be able to correct for your sample bias. Strategic voting is pretty much a dead end strategy for the reason that you spend all this effort on horse race politics and not on telling people about policy or ideology. Elections are on the few times people are engaged in politics so spending your time talking about strategic voting can be a big waste.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Oh yeah, that's fair. Although I don't know how many of them post here.

I was speaking with someone who works in a LTC centre in rural Ontario and she was talking about how many of her coworkers are refusing to get vaccinated. It was mind boggling, even more so that they can, and they can keep their jobs.

I think getting people in LTC vaccinated will be difficult. There's not many people willing or desperate enough to do those jobs. They can't lose half the workforce. And lol if you think the companies are going to raise salaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It's worth reiterating in the runup to this election that seat projections in Canada are literally worthless.

Actually, I can confidently predict that the Liberals will get 169 +/- 120 seats in the next federal election, 99 times out of 100.