Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

bones 4 beginners posted:

Time to bring in the big guns if we're to end this mahjong pandemic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDCtFcZj4Dc

Those automated mahjong tables are the coolest poo poo ever, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmDNvqS9QPk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I don't know how to play mahjong but I want one

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I have this persistent irrational concern that someone is going to get their hand trapped in one, then have it returned to them as a series of perfectly arranged cuboids.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Atopian posted:

I have this persistent irrational concern that someone is going to get their hand trapped in one, then have it returned to them as a series of perfectly arranged cuboids.

Even better as a meat packer! :swoon:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Sorry if this has been posted before, but is this real? Why doesn't NVIDIA send in a hundred dudes with axes, ala Jackie Chan?

https://www.pcgamer.com/a-rogue-arm-ceo-and-a-centuries-old-law-are-causing-a-headache-for-nvidias-big-deal/

edit: holy poo poo: https://www.china-briefing.com/news/company-chops-in-china/

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 10, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There are a few fun stories out there of subterfuge stealing chops to take over companies.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
why doesn't the chinese govt step in? Is it one of those

"well technically private enterprise isn't a thing in china so you figure this poo poo out"

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

some good kan re nao going on here

https://twitter.com/manyapan/status/1424311908866351106

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

monkeys see chinese characteristics

monkeys do chinese characteristics

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Alan Smithee posted:

"well technically private enterprise isn't a thing in china so you figure this poo poo out"

They don't want to. Maybe they want to extort concessions from an important major multinational tech company. Maybe they are taking a nationalist bent to it. Maybe they just don't want to be involved. It's not something we can really know for sure unless it's made public.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

The Chinese government is very, very keen on having single individual human points of responsibility for companies, in order to avoid the usual "corporate responsibility lol" problem.

So, each company needs to have a "responsible person" who is basically in charge, and more importantly who can be imprisoned if the company fucks around.
In order to prevent the obvious tactic of appointing an unimportant scapegoat, the position comes with some significant powers.

The chops are a reflection of that.
The government wants to be able to look at a corporate document, check the chop and the date, and have someone directly responsible for what it says. To achieve this, you have designated chops and holders.
Unchopped document? Not legitimate.
Chopped document? Yes legitimate.
But anything you chop yourself is Your Fault.
As with the Responsible Person thing, a company can't just appoint a patsy because (gestures at linked story above), so the government has a direct line on the most important person in the company.

It's an annoying and backwards process in many ways, but from the government perspective it succeeds at its primary purpose of always having someone to blame - and always reminding that person of this state of affairs.
All the crazy stuff mentioned in those stories is considered an acceptable trade-off to them.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I mean gently caress when you put it that way I am 100% on board with it.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Aye, in an ideal world that one person would do his damndest to keep things running so that his neck doesn't get a chop.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Benagain posted:

I mean gently caress when you put it that way I am 100% on board with it.

I do agree with enforcing corporate responsibility, but it would be nice to do so in a way that doesn't lead to the stuff shown in those stories. Or at least, if it had a way to actually resolve those situations reasonably quickly.

It is refreshing to only rarely see headlines detailing weaselly stuff like "guess it wasn't the fault of any one person!" re: corporate affairs.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Atopian posted:

The Chinese government is very, very keen on having single individual human points of responsibility for companies, in order to avoid the usual "corporate responsibility lol" problem.

So, each company needs to have a "responsible person" who is basically in charge, and more importantly who can be imprisoned if the company fucks around.
In order to prevent the obvious tactic of appointing an unimportant scapegoat, the position comes with some significant powers.

The chops are a reflection of that.
The government wants to be able to look at a corporate document, check the chop and the date, and have someone directly responsible for what it says. To achieve this, you have designated chops and holders.
Unchopped document? Not legitimate.
Chopped document? Yes legitimate.
But anything you chop yourself is Your Fault.
As with the Responsible Person thing, a company can't just appoint a patsy because (gestures at linked story above), so the government has a direct line on the most important person in the company.

It's an annoying and backwards process in many ways, but from the government perspective it succeeds at its primary purpose of always having someone to blame - and always reminding that person of this state of affairs.
All the crazy stuff mentioned in those stories is considered an acceptable trade-off to them.

That makes sense, in a way. Being tied to the physical chop (which seems to be similar to a notary seal) is the part I don't get. Its the company's chop, not the CEOs, so why not make a new chop and flip that dude the bird?

Obviously the PRC could step in and do whatever they like to resolve this, but it seems like they're not involved. I'd have to assume that the stolen-chop CEO isn't doing weird stuff like paying himself the entire revenue of the company because that would really bring down the government, but it also seems like he's still working?

and to circle back around, what's stopping the board from literally strong-arming it from him?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Vampire Panties posted:

and to circle back around, what's stopping the board from literally strong-arming it from him?

That last part is the true mystery, because that's how this stuff usually gets resolved when normal negotiations fail. Would be illegal, but Chinese police love nothing more than a fait accompli that leaves things quiet again.
Maybe the dude is livestreaming his rebellion or something? Keeping lawyers in the room 24/7?

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

quote:

[Canadian Michael Spavor sentenced to 11 years in prison, ordered deported by Chinese court

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/michael-spavor-verdict-sentencing-1.6136668

quote:

Chinese court upholds death penalty for Canadian prisoner Robert Schellenberg

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/schellenberg-spavor-verdicts-1.6135581

In not surprising news, the Chinese government continues to pursue a ham-fisted approach at diplomacy. In this case the only transparent act of these cases was that they were politically motivated retaliation for the detention of a rich Huawei executive.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

mikerock posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/michael-spavor-verdict-sentencing-1.6136668

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/schellenberg-spavor-verdicts-1.6135581

In not surprising news, the Chinese government continues to pursue a ham-fisted approach at diplomacy. In this case the only transparent act of these cases was that they were politically motivated retaliation for the detention of a rich Huawei executive.

https://twitter.com/JChengWSJ/status/1425295781985017860?s=19

It's like they're a teenager who's high on their first reading of Ayn Rand/Noam Chomsky.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

God I would absolutely love it if who ever held the Enron chop was executed in a stadium or something.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Alan Smithee posted:

Here's a brief overview of why the CEO got ousted

https://www.eenewsanalog.com/news/report-vc-dealings-heart-arms-china-trouble

Basically, the CEO wanted ARM China to set up a venture capital fund to invest in Chinese startups to use ARM China's IP. The board of directors voted down the idea, but they found out the fund already existed and it was essentially the CEO's private fund. The CEO was also giving customers heavy discounts for accessing ARM China's IP so long as they invested in the fund, which was a clear conflict of interest. This was why the board of directors voted to remove the CEO.

This is just a guess, but I think the government isn't stepping in because of that discounted access to ARM's tech. They've made it a huge priority to have their own semiconductor industry that is independent of US control or influence, and if that means lining the pocket of a single corrupt CEO then that's small price to pay. And if the CEO really fucks up, they can just make him disappear for a while like Jack Ma.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

TBF making decision makers personally liable as criminals is something that I always found attractive. In the UK we don't even have Sarbanes Oxley.

It is basically impossible to imprison businessmen because you can't prove anything unless they literally wrote 'burn down the orphanage and build a mine' and signed at the bottom. And even then they could probably argue they didn't understand what burn meant.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

great soundtrack to that

feizhouxiongdi2
Oct 9, 2019

Ailumao posted:

Do you know where people were forced to get the vaccine? I hadn't heard that and in my experience it's always been voluntary where plenty of people (like at least half of my office, numerous olds in my neighborhood, more than half of my Chinese friends, etc... in contrast to most foreigners being very eager to get vaxxed) opted to not get them because they saw them as not really worthwhile due to the low efficacy and the lack of any real clusters domestically. This is all anecdotal, of course.

It’s true there’s no national policy to require vaccines yet. Though in many pockets of the country, either the local government or specific communities might require the vaccine of its residents. Or for example a Shanghai residential community office will require everyone in the community to get vaccinated, or they have to leave and not live there. I think it all depends on the local official, which can be a wild card when no central decision has been made about this.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah it's easy to forget how much the heaven is high and the emperor is far away principle still applies in modern China. A lot of the crazier poo poo comes from local officials going rogue rather than being central policy. Not that vaccine mandates are crazy, they should be doing that.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Typical Disney Land experience

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I'm the lady getting some kicks and hair pulling in whilst holding a baby.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

McGavin posted:

I'm the lady getting some kicks and hair pulling in whilst holding a baby.

I'm the dude that runs up and power kicks said lady holding the baby.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I want to know what they were fighting about.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I want to know what they were fighting about.

Bone shards in their stew.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Bone shards in their stew.

Bone Shards Disharmony

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

feizhouxiongdi2 posted:

It’s true there’s no national policy to require vaccines yet. Though in many pockets of the country, either the local government or specific communities might require the vaccine of its residents. Or for example a Shanghai residential community office will require everyone in the community to get vaccinated, or they have to leave and not live there. I think it all depends on the local official, which can be a wild card when no central decision has been made about this.

yeah that's why I asked where they'd heard it happened, cuz I'm curious, not cuz I don't believe it. I was honestly getting very frustrated with how almost no one was getting vaccinated among my friends & coworkers through 2 weeks ago where now everyone wants to be.

It's like during lockdown, every xiaoqu and district did it differently. Where I live it was honestly pretty relaxed. Technically only one person per household was allowed out of the xiaoqu a max of 3 times a week for shopping/etc. That seems sorta strict until I realized my specific xiaoqu was pretty lax and all the olds were just congregating in the small park areas within the xiaoqu daily, so in my specific complex it wasn't like you were stuck in your house (tho you probably should have been, lol).

I had a few friends who were in Jingan during the lockdown and it seemed 100000x more intense. One friend sent me a picture of the gate to their xiaoqu and it had a mad max lookin makeshift barrciade made of old sheet metal and cardboard boxes with the baoan sitting on an elevated chair shooing away people and telling delivery men where to put groceries, with no one allowed out of their apartment except when they were grabbing deliveries.

In my xiaoqu they did put up a vaccination board at the street side entrance showing the % of people vaccinated in the xiaoqu for a while, I guess as a way to spur inter-xiaoqu competition? It got to like 60% pretty fast then never changed, then got removed so I'm guessing it didn't work lol

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ailumao posted:

Chengdu has an A+ health code app where under the code it shows a panda at home until you get vaccinated when the panda goes on a trip. I thought that was cute and know a couple people who got vaccinated literally to have the cooler panda.

Why hasn't the CDC tried this yet?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah it's easy to forget how much the heaven is high and the emperor is far away principle still applies in modern China. A lot of the crazier poo poo comes from local officials going rogue rather than being central policy. Not that vaccine mandates are crazy, they should be doing that.

This x1000.
It isn't even universally good or bad either. For every petty tyrant with no idea about science, medicine, and the modern world, you get some chill / businesslike local leader who quietly ignores the more ridiculous stuff coming from the centre.
Well, uh, maybe the ratio isn't actually 1:1, but what can you do?

Re: fight scene, I have a near infinity of these in my phone, but no familiarity with hosting video across the firewall. The ones from China are fascinating in their... abandon. Fighting here is treated a lot more seriously than in many countries, so people don't do it so much. But when they do, it can be vastly entertaining.

Re: community pandemic barricades, the place I live did lock down completely, deliveries left at the gate, etc, but in a relatively orderly way.
Another one I drove by down the street had a crusty old minibus driven-dragged sideways to block their gate, with chicken wire wrapped around the gaps. Extremely Mad Max.

Atopian fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 12, 2021

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
By the by about a week ago the US military published/declassified its latest assessment of the Chinese military and tactics.

Worth a look to fuel your Tom Clancy fantasies

Page about it or something:
https://community.apan.org/wg/tradoc-g2/operational-environment-and-threat-analysis-directorate/m/documents/383691

Direct PDF link:
https://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/ARN33195-ATP_7-100.3-000-WEB-1.pdf

feizhouxiongdi2
Oct 9, 2019

Ailumao posted:

yeah that's why I asked where they'd heard it happened, cuz I'm curious, not cuz I don't believe it. I was honestly getting very frustrated with how almost no one was getting vaccinated among my friends & coworkers through 2 weeks ago where now everyone wants to be.

Yeah. Some people I know are vaccinated and some aren’t (in China). Though I do think they have more valid of a concern with not trusting the government over there. So I didn’t try to convince them because I feel like it doesn’t come from the place of anti science, that and the side effects of the Chinese vaccine is a lot rougher than the other ones.

It’s good that people now want to get vaccinated though. I think the initial idea of China holding out until the world is heeled and then open the gate is looking more and more unrealistic by the day.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Oh poo poo you guys

https://twitter.com/KhayaHimmelman/status/1425895180297809929

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Senkakus are Serbia.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Grand Fromage posted:

The Senkakus are Serbia.

Remove all McDonold's?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

blyat <-> aiya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

LimburgLimbo posted:

By the by about a week ago the US military published/declassified its latest assessment of the Chinese military and tactics.

Worth a look to fuel your Tom Clancy fantasies

Page about it or something:
https://community.apan.org/wg/tradoc-g2/operational-environment-and-threat-analysis-directorate/m/documents/383691

Direct PDF link:
https://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/ARN33195-ATP_7-100.3-000-WEB-1.pdf
Thank you; I devour this stuff.