Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I meant "any" as in unrelated people, but yeah Scandinavian languages also distinguish whether an uncle/aunt/grandparent is related via your mom or dad (we also have generic words that can be used for their spouses but are also used for the related persons). I guess it makes sense to use a word like uncle in an even more general sense

it's just that Swedes use the word that explicitly means "father's brother" for "adult male friend of the family"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

No no, we use it like east asian languages do - far-bror means "stranger who presents as male" and is synonymous with [Gubbe] "(possibly strange) old man"
(and also best not to talk to any "uncles" because people you don't know are violent and dangerous in sparsely populated iron age societies I guess?).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wait what, stranger? i always thought farbröder could only be friends or relatives

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Nope, anyone can be a uncle. It's tongue in cheek diminutive like if you say it or gubbe about/to someone you know. Coincidentally no one has called their uncle "uncle Firstname" since 1960

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In Icelandic uncle/aunt/niece/nephew/cousin is all just ,,frændi" for men or ,,frænka" for women. Which basically means kins-man/woman.

Makes it hard to tell a persons relation to someone if they don't specify by saying ,,föðurbróðir" or ,,systursonur" or something like that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Nope, anyone can be a uncle. It's tongue in cheek diminutive like if you say it or gubbe about/to someone you know. Coincidentally no one has called their uncle "uncle Firstname" since 1960

welp. im fine with a word for "adult who we like" but its still weird that it's that word though... yall have onkel like we do, and also frända as below. i guess it's just funny to me that it's the one word that has a specific meaning about relations (which isnt even obscure, its just the words for father and brother put together), instead of the multiple more general words.

FreudianSlippers posted:

In Icelandic uncle/aunt/niece/nephew/cousin is all just ,,frændi" for men or ,,frænka" for women. Which basically means kins-man/woman.

Makes it hard to tell a persons relation to someone if they don't specify by saying ,,föðurbróðir" or ,,systursonur" or something like that.

you can say frænde in danish, but it would probably out you as being 800+ years old. søstersøn would make you old too, now its just nevø/niece due to french affectations in the 1700s

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dababy and Bhad Bhaby (if I got the spelling wrong on either of these, I qpologize) are not at all the same tbjng.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Dababy and Bhad Bhaby (if I got the spelling wrong on either of these, I qpologize) are not at all the same tbjng.

I think there's also a rapper called Lil' Baby.

I can't remember which one has the meme about turning into a convertible.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
A watched pot never boils.

Because you keep taking the lid off.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nope, you're overthinking it. The point of the idiom is that focusing singlemindedly on something that needs time makes it feel longer than if you'd just gone on to do something else in the meantime

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nameless Pete posted:

My pots have glass lids

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Failed Imagineer posted:

My pots have glass lids

lmfao

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Nameless Pete posted:

Nah. A cover helps, but not that much.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

old bean factory posted:

Nah. A cover helps, but not that much.

I thought for sure you were wrong, but after checking you are completely right.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I always figured it was a Zeno's paradox type of deal

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

An unobserved pot is in a superposition of a boiling and not boiling state.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Flipperwaldt posted:

An unobserved pot is in a superposition of a boiling and not boiling state.

this checks out, you should always approach boiling pots with your eyes closed

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

I thought for sure you were wrong, but after checking you are completely right.

To be sorta fair, I did have to check as well, to make sure my gut instinct was right.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Carthag Tuek posted:

I always figured it was a Zeno's paradox type of deal

I guarantee that if you watch a pot of water over a hot stove, it will inevitably start to boil.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

exquisite tea posted:

I guarantee that if you watch a pot of water over a hot stove, it will inevitably start to boil.

oh it will, but the time until it does will seem longer the more you watch it

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Carthag Tuek posted:

oh it will, but the time until it does will seem longer the more you watch it

:hmmyes: Looks like someone disabled their internal chronometer.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Trabant posted:

:hmmyes: Looks like someone disabled their internal chronometer.

I choose to believe at the end of the episode Data realised the saying was stupid human bullshit

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i have an incredibly good sense of time as long as i dont look at a clock or watch

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

old bean factory posted:

To be sorta fair, I did have to check as well, to make sure my gut instinct was right.

Was your username always old bean factory?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was your username always old bean factory?

What does your gut tell you?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I;m thinkin bout that old factory

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

exquisite tea posted:

only because you blinked

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Did a bunch of people in this thread just learn that you don't have to put a lid on the pot to boil the water?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

pik_d posted:

What does your gut tell you?

It says no but I want him to say it.

Terror in beverly hills seems an insanely obscure movie and as dumb as most contemporary action movies were I probably wouldn't have thought twice about the old bean factory in my younger days. It's only with age, and the accompanying wisdom, that I realize how extremely funny it is

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Terror in beverly hills seems an insanely obscure movie and as dumb as most contemporary action movies were I probably wouldn't have thought twice about the old bean factory in my younger days. It's only with age, and the accompanying wisdom, that I realize how extremely funny it is

Ha, no it's a recent name change thanks to RLM.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Milo and POTUS posted:

It has a real "1966 Batman TV show" vibe

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Organza Quiz posted:

Did a bunch of people in this thread just learn that you don't have to put a lid on the pot to boil the water?

But the lid is how you keep out the mice coming in from the gaping dishwasher hole.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Although I've never watched it, I've been aware of the TV miniseries Roots for long time, I knew it was (maybe still is) one of the most viewed programs ever, that it was a huge cultural moment, that it was packed with prominent African American actors, and maybe even that it was the leads first role

I somehow didn't know that that lead was LeVar Burton :doh:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
He even has an ambigram tattoo that reads "levar" one way and "kunta" the other!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In the Nordic languages Kunta means "oval office".

Which lessens the impact of Roots somewhat when you're 12 and Icelandic.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

FreudianSlippers posted:

In the Nordic languages Kunta means "oval office".

Which lessens the impact of Roots somewhat when you're 12 and Icelandic.

Also if you're Keith Olbermann and you decide to tweet that Donald Trump is being a "whiny little Kunta Kinte"

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

I never saw it either, but Burton was only in 2 out of 8 episodes and didn’t even portray an adult so it’s surprising how his role has been blown up so large. He must have been really good.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
*wincing at 13 year old friend and self parodying the whipping scene too many times*

You ever wish you could bully your past self more?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

In the Nordic languages

Eat poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Eat poo poo.