Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

site posted:

i had big box versions of doom 2 and ultimate doom... and then i think the next time i bought em was part of an id mega bundle sale on steam years ago
Same. Then I also bought Doom 3 BFG Edition for PS3 and again on Steam, and I bought Doom and Doom 2 for Switch. I have the Unity ports on Steam but I'm pretty sure those got added to the original SKU I got with the id Megapack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsCNhU2qfJc

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Nice to see some non-trailer gameplay of age of hell. Looks great to me

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/joewintergreen/status/1425630916131495939

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

So you think you know better than our ELECTRONIC OLD MEN and their FLEXIBILITY

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

BattleMaster posted:

I have the Steam and BFG Edition and I guess Doom Eternal releases of the wads, but I still use the ones from my Ultimate Doom/Doom II for Windows 95 discs because they are unaltered.
"Unaltered WADs" gets interesting when it comes to Final DOOM. I have my original big box Final DOOM disc, but there were fixes to maps that made it only to some of the id Anthology printings. There's patches for them online, plus the Anthology redumps in the usual places.

It's really weird in that Steam ships the original Final DOOM WADs while the GOG version ships the fixed Anthology versions--of course, both with the subsequent trademark modifcations. I'm going to blame GT for this, somehow.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
My copy of Doom and Doom 2 on Steam still has the red cross (if I launch it and select "DOS version"). Is that just because I bought it long ago, or does it still ship like that alongside the Unity version on Steam?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I've got my WAD files in a separate folder for modding purposes. I'm assuming if I were to redownload them from Steam they'd be the updated versions - I bought the iD megapack thing when it first got added to steam.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

The Vile Stuff posted:

I've got my WAD files in a separate folder for modding purposes. I'm assuming if I were to redownload them from Steam they'd be the updated versions - I bought the iD megapack thing when it first got added to steam.
I just uninstalled and reinstalled Doom 2 to check, and it still included the red cross version of the WAD for the non-Unity version.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1425816068275113992?s=20

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Stop giving the Daves power.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Their shitposting is too powerful to be stopped already.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Stop giving the Daves power.

He's also tweeting about G-String trying to get it to sell because the dev posted about how she spent so much time on it and it never went anywhere. He rightly pointed out the name was probably an issue.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Groovelord Neato posted:

He's also tweeting about G-String trying to get it to sell because the dev posted about how she spent so much time on it and it never went anywhere. He rightly pointed out the name was probably an issue.

She kinda leaned into it by naming the latest update "B-Cup" tho

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Mandalore reviewed System Shock 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tONyeEcozrw

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Quake 1 remake incoming from MachineGames? (look as the second point of day 1)

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Turin Turambar posted:

Don't tease me

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Or they've made another episode like last time

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Well hell, looks like I'm picking up Cruelty Squad and Ultrakill and maybe HROT later today.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Convex posted:

Or they've made another episode like last time

That, too. But a man can dream.

edit: you know, I always thought they created an unofficial episode was in preparation for creating a new Quake some day. It wasn't totally random.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 12, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bbcisdabomb posted:

Well hell, looks like I'm picking up Cruelty Squad and Ultrakill and maybe HROT later today.

Imma wait to play HROT until it's done but I'm definitely picking it up during the sale.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Groovelord Neato posted:

Imma wait to play HROT until it's done but I'm definitely picking it up during the sale.

Well I need to wait to finish Viscerafest before I move on to something else but that last level is just loving mean.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Including Gloomwood and Fallen Aces in that list has given me the unreasonable expectation that not only will I be able to pay for them but that they're getting released today.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Both SS1 and 2 are also two bucks on GOG for the next couple of days.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

The Kins posted:

Both SS1 and 2 are also two bucks on GOG for the next couple of days.

MY CUP RUNNETH OVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Turin Turambar posted:

edit: you know, I always thought they created an unofficial episode was in preparation for creating a new Quake some day. It wasn't totally random.

That would be cool but honestly I would guess that one of the MachineGames guys (J.F. Gustafsson) who was a mapper back-in-the-day just felt like cranking out a few oldschool-style maps. I wouldn't be surprised if labelling it as a semi-official episode was an afterthought, something serendipitous from having a relationship with Bethesda/Zenimax.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If they do another episode they better give me more rockets this time. The maps in Dimension of the Past were cool but there is so much shotgun ammo compared to everything else, ugh. Makes nightmare a chore

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

My hope is for new console ports.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

SeANMcBAY posted:

My hope is for new console ports.

Quake on PS5 with raytracing :getin:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The Quake soundtrack but its by the band that did the credits for TNC

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I cannot fathom putting years of your life into a work and naming it GString

I guess the dev was bitter at cruelty squad for some reason too? I dunno, this twitter drama is inscrutable to me

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

victrix posted:

I dunno, this twitter is (...) inscrutable to me

Fixed

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I tried to like G-String. I really did. But it's endless crawling through airvents, shimmying along ledges, loving around with physics objects and squinting at muddily-textured corridors, going, "...is that the way I'm supposed to go? Is it over there? Did I fall through a floor fifteen minutes ago and break the level?"

Eventually I found myself stuck in a room with my way back blocked off and no obvious way forward. After a solid half an hour of aimlessly humping walls I just gave up.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
so it's an accurate representation of early fps games, is what you're saying

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

not sure how that description is supposed to be a turn-off for this thread

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Well, the movement is poo poo and the shooting (what there is of it) is worse.

But hell, if that sounds like fun to you, give it a shot. If nothing else you'll make the dev happy. :toot:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Turin Turambar posted:

Hell with that, I’m tuning in for dog chat

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
https://gamebanana.com/mods/180770

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Calico cut pants!

You should give.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Calico cut pants!

You should give.

If you don't give you get a really loud video of the blast pit tentacles screaming about pissing your pants