Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

MatchaZed posted:

Ofaloaf!!!
I had to bite my tongue to not say "ideology" with even more of a bad Zizek impression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

is Vicky 3 a goon project

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

VostokProgram posted:

Dont put that evil on it!

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

VostokProgram posted:

help my capitalists wont stop building anything but fiesta cat plush factroys

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

DrSunshine posted:

W-wait, you guys don't just mouse to the edge of the screen??? :stare:

Depending on the engine on multimonitor setups this could be wonky or not work at all.

I love the day that having a 1080p monitor was an actual legit no-poo poo strategic advantage over others in Hoi2 because it could show you a larger amount of the map as a result. :mil101:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

VostokProgram posted:

Wiz leaked that a starting ruler will be Johnny Five Aces, we just don't know where yet. Probably Jan Mayen

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

goon game projects generally turn out well pretty often these days

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

VostokProgram posted:

Developed with goons not of goons

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

For goons by goons, first 50 preorders get a free goatse.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

VostokProgram posted:

This, my dear, is the Zybourne Clock Factory

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Will there be WASD map controls?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Keyboard map controls will exist, but will be in Dvorak layout by default.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Wiz posted:

This, my dear, is the Zybourne Clock Factory

I'm hype.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1425849810108633092
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/victoria-3-dev-diary-10-infrastructure.1485696/

I like this particular bit:

quote:

Our intention for railways is that they must be able to find their way back to the market capital, or an exit port destined for the market capital, in order to be useful. In effect this means that any railway can only provide infrastructure up to the amount of infrastructure provided by the best adjacent railway that connects it to the market capital. If you want good access to the Sulfur Mines in Aginskoye for your Munition Plants in St. Petersburg, you best get started on that Trans-Siberian Railway sooner rather than later, because it will take a good long while to build.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm curious if locally produced and consumed items, like food, will actually use up infrastructure? It would be nice if a reward for having a state-local production chain would be less infrastructure use.

Say you have a state with 50 infrastructure that is also a bottleneck in your national transport chain. It produces a ton of wool which is exports, and imports clothing. So you build a simple clothing factory there, 10 of that wool is now simply used locally and 10 fewer units of clothing have to be imported. Would this free up 20 infrastructure allowing neighbouring states to send goods through the state better?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
If you lack railways would stuff still get imported as needed but is just more expensive? Like for a few hundred years the Siberian fur trade was of incredible importance for Russia's interest in expanding out eastwards and relied heavily on sleds/fording rivers and so on similar to the North American fur trade to feed the appetite for furs in various European capitals.

Can goods from a non railway area still make it to another country/continent? And if so, how does not having a railway effect it vs having one?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Raenir Salazar posted:

If you lack railways would stuff still get imported as needed but is just more expensive? Like for a few hundred years the Siberian fur trade was of incredible importance for Russia's interest in expanding out eastwards and relied heavily on sleds/fording rivers and so on similar to the North American fur trade to feed the appetite for furs in various European capitals.

Can goods from a non railway area still make it to another country/continent? And if so, how does not having a railway effect it vs having one?

Yes, states with underdeveloped infrastructure can still trade with the national market. They covered this to some extent in the last dev diary, when they were talking about Market Access, which is, in turn, dependent on infrastructure. The amount of goods that states sell is scaled based on their market access, so a state with underdeveloped infrastructure can still sell stuff to the national market, but they'll sell less than if they had better infrastructure, and the remainder will be sold on the local market, which will probably have a lower price for the good than the national market.

I'm assuming states have some amount of base infrastructure to represent pre-industrial trade methods, even before infrastructure bonuses from rivers and stuff.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 12, 2021

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Raenir Salazar posted:

Wiz posted:

If you have one bread basket state and one iron mining state, and they both have perfect Market Access, the price of iron and grain will be the same in both. If the iron mining state’s Market Access is reduced, the market’s price of iron goes up while the local price of iron in the mining state goes down. But in addition to this the iron mining state will be unable to source as much grain, raising the local price there but reducing its price somewhat across the rest of the market.
And that probably works between countries, too, so if Russia has poo poo infrastructure it can still export furs, but the price will be sky-high.

Pakled posted:

I'm assuming states have some amount of base infrastructure to represent pre-industrial trade methods, even before infrastructure bonuses from rivers and stuff.

Wiz posted:

Infrastructure is provided and modified by numerous sources. Just about all States in the game have at least a little bit of Infrastructure based on the technology level of the country that owns it and its state of incorporation (colonies have lower infrastructure than incorporated states, for example).
Apparently!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

As others have said there is a base level of infrastructure, even without railroads, but my guess for how the particular dynamic you're mentioning would play out is this: Furs would have a high value per unit, so you might have enough infrastructure to get back a few furs on sleds and stuff, and you should make a tidy profit from that, but that's going to tap out the infrastructure value. If you want to start moving lumber or minerals around you're either going to tank your furs market access, clogging all the fords and sled routes with logs and poo poo, or have to build railroads.

At least I hope that's the kind of dynamic they'd encourage. Like you might not need a railroad to get most lucrative cash crop in a colony to market, if that's all your producing and the colony doesn't need a ton of supplies, but if you want to move bulk goods around economically, you'll need to get your trains in order.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

quote:

Our intention for railways is that they must be able to find their way back to the market capital, or an exit port destined for the market capital, in order to be useful.

Reminds me of supply logistics in HOI4 (before recently, anyway. I don't know if the update changing this has pushed).

Maybe running different routes would be frustrating to program but it'd be strange to route goods through a market capital in the US, e.g. goods up and down a river or coastline. Like, why should my PA coal have to go to through NYC on its way to Texas when it can go on Ohio and Mississippi River barges down to the Gulf?

I wonder if provinces with canals, navigable rivers, or coastlines can at least get a infrastructure bonus - even with no ports.

v oops, noticed i missed it in the picture caption. thanks!

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 13, 2021

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

guidoanselmi posted:

I wonder if provinces with canals, navigable rivers, or coastlines can at least get a infrastructure bonus - even with no ports.

We know major rivers and lakes give an infrastructure bonus. Coastlines I'm not so sure about, though they mentioned that sea trade is covered through a different system than infrastructure that they'll talk about in the future.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

guidoanselmi posted:

Reminds me of supply logistics in HOI4 (before recently, anyway. I don't know if the update changing this has pushed).

Maybe running different routes would be frustrating to program but it'd be strange to route goods through a market capital in the US, e.g. goods up and down a river or coastline. Like, why should my PA coal have to go to through NYC on its way to Texas when it can go on Ohio and Mississippi River barges down to the Gulf?

Seems like a limitation of their chosen abstractions. Goods aren't stockpiled, so they never physically move anywhere. They're just sold into the ether to reduce prices and bought from the ether to increase prices. Therefore theres no bilateral trade between a producer and consumer that would benefit from a direct rail line, both are actually just "trading" with the market capital.

E: wiz if you read this, can you confirm something for me: if my market has mines producing 100 units of iron, and factories that can consume 500 units - will the factories only be able to operate as if they consume 100 units, or will they "magically" get all 500 they need but at inflated price?

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 12, 2021

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I wonder if difficult terrain (i.e. jungles, mountains, deserts etc) give an infrastructure malus, or if it's handled some other way.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Red Bones posted:

I wonder if difficult terrain (i.e. jungles, mountains, deserts etc) give an infrastructure malus, or if it's handled some other way.

Maybe less base infrastructure + higher cost for building railroads (and other infrastructure buildings?).

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

VostokProgram posted:

Seems like a limitation of their chosen abstractions. Goods aren't stockpiled, so they never physically move anywhere. They're just sold into the ether to reduce prices and bought from the ether to increase prices. Therefore theres no bilateral trade between a producer and consumer that would benefit from a direct rail line, both are actually just "trading" with the market capital.

E: wiz if you read this, can you confirm something for me: if my market has mines producing 100 units of iron, and factories that can consume 500 units - will the factories only be able to operate as if they consume 100 units, or will they "magically" get all 500 they need but at inflated price?

Factories can buy what they need so long as the orders aren't completely out of balance. In the case you mentioned there'd be a shortage and your factories would deal with both maxed out prices and output penalties.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

guidoanselmi posted:

The only thing needed to model what you want is natural infrastructure from PA to New Orleans, and New Orleans and Houston both being exit ports connected to NYC. Which seems likely?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

Therefore theres no bilateral trade between a producer and consumer that would benefit from a direct rail line, both are actually just "trading" with the market capital.

yeah, it's consequence of what we were talking about last diary: everything is managed by a centralized controller that handles the entirety of trade. Maybe later on it could be interesting to have regional controllers for a mod or something (technical constraints aside), but I think infrastructure/market access addresses that pretty well for what the gameplay intends

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
devereaux made a post about vicky2. apparently he started his series on paradox games to try to wheedle paradox into doin vicky3, but lol

https://acoup.blog/2021/08/13/collections-teaching-paradox-victoria-ii-part-i-mechanics-and-gears/

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

devereaux made a post about vicky2. apparently he started his series on paradox games to try to wheedle paradox into doin vicky3, but lol

https://acoup.blog/2021/08/13/collections-teaching-paradox-victoria-ii-part-i-mechanics-and-gears/

It's a good opening breakdown of the game

CrypticTriptych
Oct 16, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I'm curious if locally produced and consumed items, like food, will actually use up infrastructure? It would be nice if a reward for having a state-local production chain would be less infrastructure use.

Say you have a state with 50 infrastructure that is also a bottleneck in your national transport chain. It produces a ton of wool which is exports, and imports clothing. So you build a simple clothing factory there, 10 of that wool is now simply used locally and 10 fewer units of clothing have to be imported. Would this free up 20 infrastructure allowing neighbouring states to send goods through the state better?

"Infrastructure Usage" doesn't get combined across states, or count against the amount of "Infrastructure" available in other states, so it doesn't appear an intra-market bottleneck is possible. The only mentioned interaction between states is that a state's railroad building can't provide more Infrastructure than provided by any of the other railroads along its route to the market capital (or exit port, presumably?).

I think it makes sense for local supply satisfying local demand to not reduce infrastructure consumption, at least not by very much. The stuff still needs to be shipped, it still happens through railyards and wharves, tying up capacity that could be used for import/export.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

I liked this guy's writing about EUIV because it was insightfully critical of elements of the game and pointed out interesting lessons you can get from the gameplay. This seems to just be glowing praise of the premise of Victoria. Which, I mean, fair. It deserves it. But it doesn't feel as insightful. The only critiques seem to be "jank" and the fact that it's a deterministic "gen 2" paradox game. Again, fair criticisms, but nothing I haven't thought a dozen times myself.

That said, good essay, fun recap of Vic2.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Eiba posted:

I liked this guy's writing about EUIV because it was insightfully critical of elements of the game and pointed out interesting lessons you can get from the gameplay. This seems to just be glowing praise of the premise of Victoria. Which, I mean, fair. It deserves it. But it doesn't feel as insightful. The only critiques seem to be "jank" and the fact that it's a deterministic "gen 2" paradox game. Again, fair criticisms, but nothing I haven't thought a dozen times myself.

You gotta describe the systems to start with and vicky has a lot more bits and bobs that actually merit explaining than eu4 has.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Eiba posted:

It's the first part of a series, so expect more detailed criticism later.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Also on paper the economic systems of Vicky 2 are brilliant (especially if you silo off "uncivs" to their own "what the gently caress is going on here" article.) It's just the practice that it comes out incredibly broken- the article mentions the incredible stupidity of the capitalist AI but also stuff like the late game deflationary crises that wreck the global economy

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I like that he acknowledges that most of what he talks about is the intention behind the system, not the actual result. Victoria 2 actual political, economic and military systems suggest that the right way for any state in 1836 was to focus on clergy, research Free Trade/Mechanization and start forging papers on owning Sokoto.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ilitarist posted:

I like that he acknowledges that most of what he talks about is the intention behind the system, not the actual result. Victoria 2 actual political, economic and military systems suggest that the right way for any state in 1836 was to focus on clergy, research Free Trade/Mechanization and start forging papers on owning Sokoto.

Honestly, that's my take on victoria 2 as a game in general, much more interesting to think and talk about than to actually play. ACOUP's criticism of EU4 do sometimes lie in ways it sacrifices history or realism for being an interesting game, so I imagine he'll like the game that leans less in that direction.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ilitarist posted:

I'd say this is perhaps the worst part of Victoria 2. The path to trying to climb the great power ladder or join the great power club was basically the same but with additional steps no matter who you were. You should always have x amount clergy, some percent literacy, you needed the former for the latter for research points because there was no catch up mechanic for being behind; you always needed to go do the +50% or +100% RP techs as soon as they were available because the sooner you had it the greater your total research generation is. You never really had a choice to be like, "you know what gently caress researching military, I'll just hire some dudes from Britain and France to train my dudes and buy their guns until I catch up."

Which is definitely something I'd like to see is more choice in developing your nation even if its less of a divergence and more of a detour to the same end point. The ability to choose "Should I create my own armament industry from scratch now, or source them from foreign countries and allow their citizens access to my country and make that industry later when I am more advanced?" would be neat.

More catch up mechanics in general. Like Russia with French funding built a poo poo tonne of railroads to speed up their potential military mobilization; Japan and the Turks bought warships from Britain, China bought stuff from all over; Russia in the interwar period bought prototype tanks from the US and France.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
oh my god a twitch streamer in 2021 is playing Hohenzollern mod V2 as we speak. Move over reddit, eat our asses tiktok, goon projects never die

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 15, 2021

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

As who though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

oh my god a twitch streamer in 2021 is playing Hohenzollern mod V2 as we speak. Move over reddit, eat our asses tiktok, goon projects never die

That's not the hohenzollern mod, that's the ccHFM mod with shattered world. He's only playing as hohenzollern, you rube.