Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
David Correos da rap god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I've already re-watched the rap battle so many times lmao

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
how do I get the new zealand :filez:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Crankit posted:

how do I get the new zealand :filez:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtiQ9tH-J3A

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
They're on YouTube I think. Also random torrent sites if you want higher quality.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh that's great. I like Business John Cena as the Taskmaster.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
If you have a VPN, you can also create an account on the official NZ TV streaming platform with nothing more than email address. This has the bonus that it'll show up in their rating numbers and keep the show going.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

This NZ season is easily up there with Season 7 as best ever one imo.

Cast is excellent, but they are really hitting it out of the park with the tasks. The rocking chair one was brilliant, but the Abe Lincoln one might one of my favorite.

Seeing that bucket in the background of episodes is such a delight as well.

"How well do you know Yu-Gi-Oh?"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

drunken officeparty posted:

It’s as close to the real TM you can get without just more regular taskmaster episodes being released I guess. Certainly better than the U.S abomination.

It's eternally disappointing that the US dropped the ball so hard on its attempt and then the CW tried to just import the UK version and just stopped trying two episodes in

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I believe that CW mistook it for a Marvel Taskmaster series, buying it before watching it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

The_Doctor posted:

Oh that's great. I like Business John Cena as the Taskmaster.

Paul Williams is a fantastic 'Taskmaster's Assistant'. Guy Montgomery, with his never-ending supply of childhood pictures of Paul Williams T-shirts, is up there with Rhod Gilbert for disturbing imagery.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

It's eternally disappointing that the US dropped the ball so hard on its attempt and then the CW tried to just import the UK version and just stopped trying two episodes in

What? I didn't even know the CW version was a thing. I can't even work out if I can watch it in the UK without messing with a VPN or something.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bertha the Toaster posted:

What? I didn't even know the CW version was a thing. I can't even work out if I can watch it in the UK without messing with a VPN or something.

CW didn't have a version. They just picked up Season 10 of the UK version for broadcast, aired two episodes and then replaced it with reruns of another show because of terrible ratings or something.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

It was really bad. Not as bad as the really hosed-up Spanish version but definitely worse than all the Scandinavian ones. (Never found the Belgian one, apparently that's quite bad too.)

E: talking about the US version, apparently it was comedy central.

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 12, 2021

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Oh. That's dumb.

Why does American suck at Taskmaster?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

"Let's cut down a 50 minute show to 20 minutes, not be allowed to swear, and hire the complete opposite of Greg Davies as the Taskmaster"

-Comedy Central

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Oh. That's dumb.

Why does American suck at Taskmaster?

Lack of trust for WB/The CW's part and lack of understanding for Viacom's part. They aired it on Comedy Central since that's the channel that the show would've fit for. But they don't even have the stable (or didn't want to pay for it) that they used to use for the roasts besides Lisa Lampenelli (who is terrible).

Arguably NBC or Disney via ABC or Fox could definitely make it work. Both have a stable of comedians/comic actors they could pull from for one. ABC also runs a bunch of game shows with a rotating panel of the same sort of people that'd fit on Taskmaster during Winter and Summer

"Let's cut down a 50 minute show to 20 minutes, not be allowed to swear, and hire the complete opposite of Greg Davies as the Taskmaster"

-Comedy Central
The NZ version has shown you can do a Taskmaster that isn't the same type of personality as Greg Davies. Rather than the gleefully malevolent Davies, Jeremy Wells is a more cool, stoic and impartial arbiter of the Tasks. The big thing is that he needs to be able to banter with the cast and the co-host well.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 12, 2021

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I’m just mad we don’t have a panel show culture in the US like they do in the UK. Ive binged so much Would I Lie to you and others over the last year.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Taskmaster NZ doesn't really showcase it but Jeremy Wells is genuinely smart and funny when he wants to be.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Doesn’t he literally present the news on TVNZ?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

thehustler posted:

Doesn’t he literally present the news on TVNZ?

A sort of news magazine kind of program. Reading up on his previous, it sounds like they somehow got the NZ equivalent of Chris Morris to present Newsnight, and do it straight.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Disappointing Pie posted:

I’m just mad we don’t have a panel show culture in the US like they do in the UK. Ive binged so much Would I Lie to you and others over the last year.

Hollywood Game Night seems to actually be close to that type of show, but not quite.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

There was @midnight, but that was from Chris Hardwick who can go fall under a bus.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Might have said this before, but I really think that Australia ought to be the next frontier for Taskmaster (or at least, easily accessible English-speaking TM). Between recent panel shows like Have You Been Paying Attention and Patriot Brains (NZ produced but with an Australian team), plus previous comedy output like Chasers War on Everything, it really seems from my outsider perspective that they have the well of TV comedy to draw from. Surely they can't let their islander neighbours have all the fun?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

David Correos may be the greatest Taskmaster contestant, no qualifiers necessary.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Disappointing Pie posted:

Yeah this is the reason that Taskmaster US failed. Fundamentally it's a panel show, you can have the best tasks ever but without the banter in judging you have nothing. Has there ever been a panel show in the US that has been successful? @midnight is the only one that comes to mind, and it's a VERY different vibe (sometimes good, but way more obviously rehearsed / scripted).

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i only watched a couple of eps of @midnight because it sucked, but it seemed like it failed to get the point of uk celeb panel shows: winning doesn't really matter

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Because TV shows in america generally won’t get green lit unless they turn them into trash.

I’M LOOKING FOR A GIFT FOR MY AUNT

That’s not even counting the insane amount of censorship

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 14, 2021

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I’m kinda blown away that panel shows haven’t become more of a thing on twitch or YouTube. I suspect because editing actually plays a hugely important role in making a panel show entertaining? Twitch allows for none, and what’s popular on YouTube is not heavily produced content.

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 14, 2021

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

enki42 posted:

Yeah this is the reason that Taskmaster US failed. Fundamentally it's a panel show, you can have the best tasks ever but without the banter in judging you have nothing. Has there ever been a panel show in the US that has been successful? @midnight is the only one that comes to mind, and it's a VERY different vibe (sometimes good, but way more obviously rehearsed / scripted).

What they should have done is just give the US Taskmaster to the entire cast and crew of Whose Line Is It Anyways? and watched magic happen.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I’m kinda blown away that panel shows haven’t become more of a thing on twitch or YouTube. I suspect because editing actually plays a hugely important role in making a panel show entertaining? Twitch allows for none, and what’s popular on YouTube is not heavily produced content.

I've been thinking about this for a while, but I think Arcade Pit, Twitch game show run by one-time goon Smight, is actually a British panel show, not an American game show, despite the inspiration from shows like Nick Arcade and Jeopardy. An episode features 4 streamers with their own separate fanbases thrown into a set of arbitrary and unfair challenges, while the real entertainment mostly comes from the banter.

I think it's basically a videogame Taskmaster with moderately successful streamers instead of comedians.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

exmarx posted:

i only watched a couple of eps of @midnight because it sucked, but it seemed like it failed to get the point of uk celeb panel shows: winning doesn't really matter

I don't think anyone cared about winning, but yeah, all the jokes were very tryhard and you could tell they came up with them all before (i'm sure that happens to some extent on UK panel shows, but not for everything, and when it does happen they still manage to make it seem natural)

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

enki42 posted:

The '70s Match Game was a wild show, even considering the S&P restrictions of the day. Nothing very recent, though, at least not to my knowledge.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Made it to s10 now in my rewatch. I think I like it better with no audience. It feels more personal and real.

Also, the last task of s9, where they had to do 7 different small tasks, I even went back and rewatched it and at no point I could find do they indicate you completely have to start over if you mess one up. But then it’s a whole big thing in the studio where it was a rule??

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The American one also suffered from contestants not really willing to go all in the way they should. Only Freddie Highmore (who isn't even a comedian) and Ron Funches really threw themselves into it.

The NZ one has been fantastic this season. Deserves to be as revered as highly as some of the original seasons are. Jeremy is still an insane scorer but it's my only real complaint.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Freddie, I think, was aware of and liked the show? Sure I read that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Certainly better than the U.S abomination.

It's like there's no good reason this show couldn't work over here, but the casting choices they made were, exactly, the worst case scenario at every turn. It was like they took the person who casts a comedy central roast and then found that person's intern with even worse taste and had them recommend someone even shittier to pick out a cast. Hell, even just Reggie Watts seems like a comedy answer you'd pick in a task to find the least-suited person to be taskmaster.

pre-edit after scrolling down: lol it was comedy central so that's why the casting seemed as bad as comedy central

I propose they just keep the UK show going for ten years and invite one suitable north american comedian per series, add an extra chair so the islanders aren't bumped off.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Khanstant posted:

It's like there's no good reason this show couldn't work over here, but the casting choices they made were, exactly, the worst case scenario at every turn. It was like they took the person who casts a comedy central roast and then found that person's intern with even worse taste and had them recommend someone even shittier to pick out a cast. Hell, even just Reggie Watts seems like a comedy answer you'd pick in a task to find the least-suited person to be taskmaster.

pre-edit after scrolling down: lol it was comedy central so that's why the casting seemed as bad as comedy central

I propose they just keep the UK show going for ten years and invite one suitable north american comedian per series, add an extra chair so the islanders aren't bumped off.

I'd actually like to see someone like Daniel Radcliffe on the UK version. He would fit right in to the madness.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'd actually like to see someone like Daniel Radcliffe on the UK version. He would fit right in to the madness.

I think he'd be similar to Joe Thomas in that it'd be the first time most people get to see what a bafflingly wonderful weirdo he actually is when he's not starring in massive media franchises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Does anyone know if Ed Gamble smokes? There’s the quickest 2 second shot of him building something that I swear looks like he has an unlit cigarette in his hand but I can’t really tell. It’s bothering me.