Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

StarkRavingMad posted:

Game mechanics are Candyland mixed with Trump humor Cards Against Humanity, what utter garbage

Yeah I got curious and read the game mechanics and.... that's the laziest game design I've seen in a very very long time, basically just "roll dice, draw a card with a five year old stale political joke, repeat". But yeah, taking money from angry right wing Americans is pretty easy, so good job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I like how all the writing on the campaign page is so aggressive and in your face, but the campaign video's vibe is all "aw shucks, I just want to make a fun board game for my family" even though the things he's saying are mostly the same trollish poo poo. It's "calm hitler comic.jpg" as a person.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

There's some prick on BGG talking about how Kiwifarms would love to roast that game. No, mate, they'll be playing it unironically and I'd take wagers that the guy who made it is a member.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Well, some will, and some will doxx the creator because it's not to their liking and try and make a movement against him A Thing.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

I've been meaning to get into this one, I've been told it's extremely My poo poo.

This might be my number two “I want to play someone else’s copy” right now. Only second to Cosmic Frog 🐸

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Not sure if this is better here or the industry thread, but The Avatar The Last Airbender TRPG KS broke 4 million today. Kicktraq says it's making 300k a day now and its been 5 days since launch. It is already the most funded KS for TRPGs and is on track to make a lot more.

Will this drive more license holders to make TRPGs? Will this drive people to consider smaller indie systems over 5e? Essentially, we have over 33k and counting people backing a PbtA game for 4mil+ atm, I wonder if this will shift any trends.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Covok posted:

Not sure if this is better here or the industry thread, but The Avatar The Last Airbender TRPG KS broke 4 million today. Kicktraq says it's making 300k a day now and its been 5 days since launch. It is already the most funded KS for TRPGs and is on track to make a lot more.

Will this drive more license holders to make TRPGs? Will this drive people to consider smaller indie systems over 5e? Essentially, we have over 33k and counting people backing a PbtA game for 4mil+ atm, I wonder if this will shift any trends.
And to think the next compatible-universe cooperative board game kickstarter from IDW after TMNT and Batman TAS was going to be in the Avatar universe. Instead, they lost a ton of money, got out of the board game industry, and there's a skeleton crew fulfilling the Batman one. What could have been...

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

And to think the next compatible-universe cooperative board game kickstarter from IDW after TMNT and Batman TAS was going to be in the Avatar universe. Instead, they lost a ton of money, got out of the board game industry, and there's a skeleton crew fulfilling the Batman one. What could have been...

Really? Aw, I wanted to paint a flying bison :(

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Covok posted:

I'm not an RPG player, so why is this one doing so well? Is it just the license or is there some other highly compelling force at work here?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Got an update on Cartographers Heroes. Should have it within a month as it has arrived at the fulfilment centre :3:

Hype to play this while in lockdown :3:

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm not an RPG player, so why is this one doing so well? Is it just the license or is there some other highly compelling force at work here?

The Avatar series is just really really good and well thought out - and lends itself well to a RPG setting.

Friend of mine played the demo scenario they got up and described it as less focused on being 'in and out of combat' and more you describe things that you would like to happen and combat happens naturally as an occurrence of that.
She really liked it and is a fan of traditional RPGs.

The $75 price tag for All This Cool poo poo probably helps immensely as well.

This is probably the first salvo in the newly established Avatar Studios - which will be producing a bunch of new poo poo for this universe.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

The Moon Monster posted:

The creator's ex is Monte Cook. no, not really

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

The Moon Monster posted:

It's almost certainly the license. AtlA has never had a TRPG before, but hacks were being made for it back in 2006. I remember two big ones back then, one for Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 right at the tail end of that Edition and an impressively detailed one for Dungeons and Dragons 4e late into that edition. There are a thousand and one FATE hacks. gently caress, I made a big 200+ sourcebook for it for FATE. I've seen hacks for D&D 5e, Savage Worlds, Gensys (online friends with the peep doing Second Age) and on-and-on. Peeps go off how Anima Prime or Fellowship are perfect to play Avatar, both listing Avatar The Last Airbender as inspiration for their game. There is a Knock-Off PbtA game called "Legend Of The Elements" that started as an Avatar fan hack before becoming its own thing, that I've run twice. And tons of indie games, like Strike!, have had little microsettings based on Avatar, but usually just tiny little 1-2 page blurbs for copyright reasons.

The industry has been wanting an Avatar TTRPG for years. I still remember peeps being told to use Exalted 2e Dragonblooded to play Avatar back on RPG.net (which is awful advice as Dragonblooded use the elements more metaphorically and they have five elements).

When this dropped, it could have used any system. The fact the game is actually good and uses a popular indie engine, Powered By The Apocalypse, and not 5e is what could make this have wider industry implications. The common zeitgeist has been to do D&D 5e hacks for everything and that has reinforced 5e's unquestioned industry dominance. Now, it looks like people get what a TRPG is and will follow the license. That's lovely in some ways but could mean we get big licenses in indie darling systems for a change, especially if KS can fund the expense of it all.

Tl;dr Yes, it's the license. Half the people on Magpie's discord server have no fecking idea what PbtA is but play D&D.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

You can kinda see a pattern emerging in the last couple of years where large companies will make a TTRPG for promo and it'll do astronomically well our of nowhere, and I think in part you have to acknowledge that most TTRPGs, often even D&D, don't have the capital and connections to see the kind of success Viacom can ensure for its properties. The license is def. a huge factor here, people have been desperate for an avatar ttrpg forever, and Magpie has had a number of huge successes in the past too, with $600,000 on the Root TTRPG only last? year? I think. They've got the cash to market on a scale way above and beyond most indie TTRPG publishers.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Covok posted:

Tl;dr Yes, it's the license. Half the people on Magpie's discord server have no fecking idea what PbtA is but play D&D.

Yeah, this is me (and my group). I have a few other PbtA games that haven't hit the table because my friends/players are very focused on just playing longform campaigns in what they know (Pathfinder). But they're all enormous ATLA fans, so they're frothing at the mouth for this and are, for once, excited to learn a new system for it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Covok posted:

When this dropped, it could have used any system. The fact the game is actually good and uses a popular indie engine, Powered By The Apocalypse, and not 5e is what could make this have wider industry implications. The common zeitgeist has been to do D&D 5e hacks for everything and that has reinforced 5e's unquestioned industry dominance. Now, it looks like people get what a TRPG is and will follow the license. That's lovely in some ways but could mean we get big licenses in indie darling systems for a change, especially if KS can fund the expense of it all.

From the current day all the way back to the 80s, there have been plenty of major nerd IPs that have done tabletop RPGs using systems besides the current D&D rules. More, really, than ones papered onto a D&D or d20 system. This is still a big deal from the standpoint of Powered By the Apocalypse games tending to be fairly light rule systems that are built on more modern, narrative-centered conceits. Historically, the way most of these big IP games tend to translate to a TTRPG is with meaty rulebooks filled with detailed rules on combat and maybe a few other "special" minigame systems, an enormous assortment of character classes or abilities, and probably an unnecessarily large gear list.

I don't mind this from the perspective of being a way to introduce people into less dense alternatives to D&D, either. I certainly hope it has a great guide on introducing new players to the way the system plays more like an conversation the players drive forward than D&D does. That's like the biggest pitfall PbtA games tend to trip into, and it's also the most frustrating thing to see newbie PbtA GMs lapse into more active control when PbtA hands a lot of that agency over to players.

As a point of comparison, there's an upcoming new Marvel superhero RPG that'll be using its own in-house system. And I'd expect that to be more like a classic doorstopper book, but also it's one that might be the most likely thing to find its way into book stores and big box store shelves alongside D&D just from the combined force of the media companies behind it.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 10, 2021

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I got an e-mail about that big He-Man board game crowd funding campaign launch, and was curious if anyone was following it.

I'd kickstarted Archon's terrain stuff previously and it went pretty well from my end, but this seems like a big jump in cost/stuff/scope.

I'm bummed they'd sold Battle Cat/Panthor models previously that were apparently exclusive - I think like so many of these big kickstarter board games, I really really just want the minis - the game itself looks like a LOT of cards and stuff

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I got an e-mail about that big He-Man board game crowd funding campaign launch, and was curious if anyone was following it.

I'd kickstarted Archon's terrain stuff previously and it went pretty well from my end, but this seems like a big jump in cost/stuff/scope.

I'm bummed they'd sold Battle Cat/Panthor models previously that were apparently exclusive - I think like so many of these big kickstarter board games, I really really just want the minis - the game itself looks like a LOT of cards and stuff
Well, and it should be noted that this can't be shipped to a lot of countries (including US/Canada) as CMON has the rights to their own Masters of the Universe boardgame that they'll be Kickstarting soon.
From the FAQ page:

Here's the complete list of European countries that Archon Studio can sell and distribute Masters of the Universe: Fields of Eternia The Board Game:

Germany
United Kingdom
France
Spain
Italy
Sweden
Norway
Finland
Netherlands
Denmark
Czech Republic
Poland
Austria
Switzerland
Liechtenstein

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

JazzFlight posted:

Well, and it should be noted that this can't be shipped to a lot of countries (including US/Canada) as CMON has the rights to their own Masters of the Universe boardgame that they'll be Kickstarting soon.
From the FAQ page:

Here's the complete list of European countries that Archon Studio can sell and distribute Masters of the Universe: Fields of Eternia The Board Game:

Germany
United Kingdom
France
Spain
Italy
Sweden
Norway
Finland
Netherlands
Denmark
Czech Republic
Poland
Austria
Switzerland
Liechtenstein

Oh I didn't even notice - I saw the prices for stuff in Euros, I'm in Canada but that doesn't help.

How do I get my Man-E-Faces model now?!?!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

A bunch of cool poo poo dropped on KS today as well
Dungeon Degenerates 4th Printing - No idea, but goons mentioned it ITT
AMASS - Need to have a read and a watch, but it looks very colorful.
Reiner Knizia's Criminal Capers Collection - A set of 3 quick 20min games
Flamecraft - I'm backing this. It looks great and is already at almost $150k
Wicked and Wise - A trick taking game featuring Mice and Dragons. Very cool aesthetic.
A Noble War - No idea, but could appeal to people who want some Dudes On A Map.

Flamecraft is looking pretty dope. Feels a lot like "what if Lords of Waterdeep, but you can empower the shops"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

BaronVanAwesome posted:

No Mekaneck? Jeez...

As an American I guess I'll have to wait for the CMON campaign to drool over the miniatures but ultimately not back.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcdream/delta-green-the-conspiracy/comments

quote:

Delta Green: The Conspiracy is an RPG sourcebook of horror gaming in the 1990s. It updates the original Delta Green in a fearfully beautiful new edition. Rules are revised to fit the designs of Delta Green: The Role-Playing Game. New, color paintings replace black-and-white illustrations.

Campaign ends on 9/11, which I imagine is just a coincidence, right? :tinfoil:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

canepazzo posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcdream/delta-green-the-conspiracy/comments

They've already put a new version of Countdown up as a stretch goal so they're getting a bunch of my money

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Flamecraft has a puzzle contest on to win an All-in Pledge

There are 6 puzzles that will unlock a new colour dragon with your pledge, and the final puzzle will unlock entry for the All-In.
Entering all 7 gets you 7 chances to win.

https://cardboardalchemy.com/flamecraft-contest/

If you don't want to gently caress around here are the answers:
Bakery - macaron
Butchery - sandwich
Smithy - magnetite
Brewery - workhorse
Gardens - david attenborough
Jeweller - shiniest

Final - whimsy

This was a fun way to spend an afternoon.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

canepazzo posted:

For those unaware, the evil conspiracy MAJESTIC essentially falls apart completely after 9/11 because the secret treaty with the "Greys" Mi-go was predicated on the aliens giving the US a big book of stats and locations for everything going on in the world to pre-empt hostile actions on the US. This was pretty much the standard, you can experiment on the American people but we're getting something in return for it, type government betrayal to aliens story. Since the "Greys" Mi-go weren't pulling through, and George W. Bush became aware of all of this after this his dad told him about the agreement, the plug gets pulled and Delta Green is brought back in after they also bring up some of the stuff MAJESTIC has been doing and get put back in charge with some defectors from MAJESTIC.

This is all from the newest edition of Delta Green.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Infinitum posted:

A bunch of cool poo poo dropped on KS today as well
Dungeon Degenerates 4th Printing - No idea, but goons mentioned it ITT
AMASS - Need to have a read and a watch, but it looks very colorful.
Reiner Knizia's Criminal Capers Collection - A set of 3 quick 20min games
Flamecraft - I'm backing this. It looks great and is already at almost $150k
Wicked and Wise - A trick taking game featuring Mice and Dragons. Very cool aesthetic.
A Noble War - No idea, but could appeal to people who want some Dudes On A Map.

Flamecraft is looking pretty dope. Feels a lot like "what if Lords of Waterdeep, but you can empower the shops"

Dungeon Degenerates is *excellent* if you want a pretty cool RPG-lite campaign game with vomitpunk aesthetic. It's about as indie as indie games get and the people who put it out seem like good folks. There's a surprising amount of depth to a system with a lot of d6's there as well. High recommendation - if it seems like your bag, it's definitely worth a buy.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Vomitpunk sounds like a genre in IIDX

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Should have gone with spewpunk

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I'm still sad about the dungeon degenerates tarot - the guy had a stroke and can't complete it, but he is turning quay he has been able to do into an artbook instead.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Hollandia posted:

Should have gone with spewpunk

Barfpunk?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Barfolomew!punk.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Cybleurghpunk

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Oh I didn't even notice - I saw the prices for stuff in Euros, I'm in Canada but that doesn't help.

How do I get my Man-E-Faces model now?!?!

I've used parcel forwarding services in the past but it's been a while. Basically your register an account and they give you an an address in the "destination" country - say the UK. You provide the crowdfunder with the forwarder's address and when it ships it goes to them. The forwarder then contacts you and gives you a quote for reshipping it to Canada or the US or wherever. I haven't used them for kickstarters before, but it's an option. Reship, MyUKMailbox and Forward2Me all look like they offer this service.

Some require annual or monthly fees others you just have an account.

Alternatively if you know someone living in the UK or wherever you can call in a favor, asking them to take the delivery and paying them to ship it to you.

How well this works with a crowdfunded project, I don't know. There's a significant lag in purchase to shipping time that plays into it.

Edit - I’m also not sure how the expansions would factor in. I don’t know if they’re going to ship at the same time or not, so it’s additional chaos.

Edit mk 2 - It looks like if you get the collector's edition with the expansions it ships together, and 3 collector's editions will fit in one parcel.

Rhandhali fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 12, 2021

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

CHUNDERCORE

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Rhandhali posted:

I've used parcel forwarding services in the past but it's been a while. Basically your register an account and they give you an an address in the "destination" country - say the UK. You provide the crowdfunder with the forwarder's address and when it ships it goes to them. The forwarder then contacts you and gives you a quote for reshipping it to Canada or the US or wherever. I haven't used them for kickstarters before, but it's an option. Reship, MyUKMailbox and Forward2Me all look like they offer this service.

Some require annual or monthly fees others you just have an account.

Alternatively if you know someone living in the UK or wherever you can call in a favor, asking them to take the delivery and paying them to ship it to you.

How well this works with a crowdfunded project, I don't know. There's a significant lag in purchase to shipping time that plays into it.

Edit - I’m also not sure how the expansions would factor in. I don’t know if they’re going to ship at the same time or not, so it’s additional chaos.

I had a US postal box for a while that was amazing for stuff pre-COVID, but you're right that if everything doesn't ship at once I feel like it'd be a nightmare for both cost and trying to keep track of everything.

Alas, like many of these expensive board games + minis, I think I'll end up hiring a resin 3D printer or something (or finally jump in and just get a printer myself)

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I had a US postal box for a while that was amazing for stuff pre-COVID, but you're right that if everything doesn't ship at once I feel like it'd be a nightmare for both cost and trying to keep track of everything.

Alas, like many of these expensive board games + minis, I think I'll end up hiring a resin 3D printer or something (or finally jump in and just get a printer myself)

I did some digging in the comments. It's a loving cesspit, but it looks like the expansions will ship with the main game and 3 of the collectors editions (base + expansions) will fit in one box. Ordering extra minis will probably mean more boxes, but that does make things a little bit simpler.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Going into the last day for https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/montecookgames/the-devil-made-us-do-it

It is three games now. Stealing Stories for the Devil, Who The Devil Are You? and The Devil's Dandy Dogs. There is a digital only tier for the three games for those that were sad about the lack of that previously.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Hostile V posted:

CHUNDERCORE

Hell yeah :rock:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Does anyone need a $600 chess set with Transformers?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eaglemoss/transformers-gen-1-chess-set

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

the pieces don't transform

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I too would like to pay $600 for a plastic chess set.