Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, based on that character and story arc in the film its gonna be hard to dissuade me from a pretty simple and reasonable course of events

1. They wrote the role for Deadshot.
2. They couldn't get Will Smith and cast Idris Elba, considering recasting Deadshot.
3. They decided that was a bad idea so they just tweaked the character slightly and made him Bloodsport.

It falls in line with all the "soft reboot" mixed messaging. They clearly went through stages of what they should do to both keep what they wanted from the first film and separate themselves from what they didn't. But this was probably all done in pre production behind closed doors and eventually they seemed to get to the basic resolution that it was all more complicated than it needed to be.
This is my feeling as well...the fact that they didn't just recast Deadshot sure supports the idea that they wanted Smith back but he wasn't available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I’ve always enjoyed Flula Borg and followed him for years; he was already in good shape but it’s amazing how shredded he got himself for this movie considering he’s in a body suit and the amount of time he’s even in the film.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sanschel posted:

Aside from the helmet, Bloodsport’s armor and color scheme was very Deathstroke-like, and the “he does what I do” line makes more sense if it was a remnant of a Deathstroke draft, before Bloodsport’s quantum tech weapon armor became his power.

I really liked his helmet, that was good piece of costuming.

EVS is thanked in the credits, what did he do to contribute?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

twistedmentat posted:

I really liked his helmet, that was good piece of costuming.

EVS is thanked in the credits, what did he do to contribute?

Co-creator of one of the Belle Reve background villains.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
not looking good for No Way Home releasing this year, unfortunately (yeah, they only delayed Venom a month, but they'll keep delaying it if things aren't looking better a month from now)

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1425874332853624849

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm curious as to whether Disney will walk back shang chi being theater only, especially in light of the Johansson lawsuit

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Well, it's finally happen. Sad news, but then we gotta consider that even if vaccinated me and a of other people don't wanna potentially spread whatever covid variation in out there and kill others just for a night at the movies (and lots of places around the world are doing the lockdown again).

Weren't there rumors that Shang-Chi was gonna get delayed? I guess not considering they are full dropping the ads.

Fake edit:

site posted:

I'm curious as to whether Disney will walk back shang chi being theater only, especially in light of the Johansson lawsuit

That movie is, supposedly coming out 45 days in D+ after their theater release. They reduced the waiting time and are allegedly trying and seeing what works. :shrug: I don't think they wanna deal with another lawsuit and bad rep.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

site posted:

I think that's more likely to happen than their delaying it, but we'll see soon enough. They'll probably just pay the talent more upfront to prevent more bad PR.

In the case of Shang-Chi, Eternals, etc., Disney can, at least in theory, just decide at any point to do a Disney+ Premier Access Hybrid release; those films may be significantly less profitable than they would be otherwise, but it looks like that'll be the case for pretty much any $200 million blockbuster, regardless of release model, for a while.

Spider-Man: NWH is in a tougher spot. Because it's being released by Sony, a studio with no streaming service of its own, which has existing streaming deals that would likely preclude a Premier Access hybrid release, but because it's in the MCU, delaying would potentially impact Doctor Strange 2 and other MCU projects from Disney, so that's a pickle.

Desperado Bones posted:

That movie is, supposedly coming out 45 days in D+ after their theater release. They reduced the waiting time and are allegedly trying and seeing what works. :shrug: I don't think they wanna deal with another lawsuit and bad rep.

that was what they announced a few months ago, sure, but on the other hand, Disney has maintained the line since last year that nearly all of their release plans are subject to change due to COVID and not set in stone. so we'll see

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 12, 2021

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Spider-Man No Way Home, coming this fall exclusively to Funimation.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

oh, I forgot that Disney's Q3 earnings release is a bit later today. if they're going to announce a Premier Access release for Shang-Chi, it would make sense to do it there

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

oh, I forgot that Disney's Q3 earnings release is a bit later today. if they're going to announce a Premier Access release for Shang-Chi, it would make sense to do it there

update: doesn't sound like it. Chapek said they're continuing to consider Premier Access hybrid releases on a case-by-case basis, but didn't announce Shang-Chi or any other specific films as such

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Guess I'll be skipping Shang Chi lol

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah with the Delta poo poo, this will be the first MCU movie I haven't seen in theaters opening weekend. It was a good streak.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

gonna be 45 days of fun trying to avoid as much spoilers as possible. :sigh:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Goddamn I love Don Cheadle.

https://twitter.com/BigMalikMoves/status/1425790322525806596

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

site posted:

I really didn't have much interest in it to begin with, so I'll probably just wait until it goes digital

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It really sucks that the two things this is loving with at Marvel are the movies with the female lead and the majority Asian cast. Both in that they aren't going to do as well as they should, and that all the usual suspects are almost certainly gonna go "see, no one wants diversity!" or whatever the gently caress. Sigh.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

If you are able, I strongly recommend doing what my friends and I have been doing. We have a group of about 12-20 of us, who are all vaccinated, and are in each others' "pod" to the extent those still exist and can be maintained. We're all considerate and careful about catching and spreading COVID. When there's a movie we want to see, we pick an odd time on an odd day - say 9pm on a Sunday or 7:45pm on a Tuesday - and we rent one of the theater screens for a private showing of that movie. It costs about $200 to do this, and when you amortize that across the whole group, it can end up being cheaper than a normal ticket to the movies. You're also guaranteed to be in a good seat, and the vibe will be the exactly perfect vibe for your particular group, because it IS your particular group. If you and your friends like to sit silently in rapt attention, that's what it'll be. If you like to crack jokes at the screen, it'll be like that.

We've done this for all sorts of movies so far, and it is a breath of fresh air to get to see a big screen movie with the people you love and have it not be an anxiety nightmare of potential plague acquisition. We've done this for Mortal Kombat, F9, Black Widow, Green Knight, and maybe one or two others I'm forgetting. Seriously. Get your friends and family together and treat yourself to a movie night in a safe and shockingly affordable way. Theaters are hurting, and they're very happy to accommodate these outings. Plus they don't check your bags and no one in your squad is gonna narc when you bust out the weed vape, 7 layer burrito, and vodka flask to sauce up your Icee.

Another option is going to a drive-in! Those still exist, and are honestly thriving right now! Since it's summer, you'll have to pick a later showing in order to see the screen on account of, you know, sunlight, but as we move into autumn and winter, you can be catching blockbusters from the comfort of your hotboxed Camaro at like 4pm pretty soon.

All is not lost, fun is still possible, you just have to be flexible and creative about it. If any of you do this, please post here how it went!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

That idea sounds really cool for anyone who can pull it, hope some goons here can follow your advise (and have fun,you all)

My city has a drive-in, the first one ever! But I got no car lmao so I'm stuck in my home until poo poo kinda gets better.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

My AMC also lets you rent out a theater for like $150 or something. So if you have a group who wants to see it, it's not a bad deal to get a whole theater to yourself and people you know

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

site posted:

Chapek was asked more specifically about this a bit later in the call, and basically implied that the 45-day theatrical window was locked in via deals (with exhibitors, I guess) Disney made around the time that release strategy was announced three months ago, which couldn't be renegotiated.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Vince MechMahon posted:

It really sucks that the two things this is loving with at Marvel are the movies with the female lead and the majority Asian cast. Both in that they aren't going to do as well as they should, and that all the usual suspects are almost certainly gonna go "see, no one wants diversity!" or whatever the gently caress. Sigh.

I dont think shang-chi will have just the usual suspects hating on this movie and I think it would bomb if delta wasn't around either. American politicians and media have spent the last 2 years demonizing Asians. Lmao if you don't think that will have a knock-on effect with the culture.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

I dont think shang-chi will have just the usual suspects hating on this movie and I think it would bomb if delta wasn't around either. American politicians and media have spent the last 2 years demonizing Asians. Lmao if you don't think that will have a knock-on effect with the culture.

This is extremely unlikely. There has been as far as I am aware no actual decrease in interest in Chinese-inspired media and if anything it has been on the rise. And that's specifically Chinese, just lol if you think people suddenly hate the land of anime and nintendo.

That isn't to say that there hasn't been a real nasty targeted attack upon Asians in general but like so many other things in our lovely country people are willing to enjoy martial arts movies while being virulently racist towards the main star outside of that.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Desperado Bones posted:

That idea sounds really cool for anyone who can pull it, hope some goons here can follow your advise (and have fun,you all)

My city has a drive-in, the first one ever! But I got no car lmao so I'm stuck in my home until poo poo kinda gets better.

how much does it cost to hire a lyft or uber for a couple hours if it's not actually doing any miles... :question:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I live in a small town, and just stick to odd times like Tuesday afternoon. Plus my local theater blocks off the seats all around you and have those giant recliners so you get a good deal of space even if someone else is around

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I love drive-ins and have really enjoyed them this past year.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

This popped up in my youtube recommendations. A teaser with a couple of new scenes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFL7C-gcqlc

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

This is extremely unlikely. There has been as far as I am aware no actual decrease in interest in Chinese-inspired media and if anything it has been on the rise. And that's specifically Chinese, just lol if you think people suddenly hate the land of anime and nintendo.

That isn't to say that there hasn't been a real nasty targeted attack upon Asians in general but like so many other things in our lovely country people are willing to enjoy martial arts movies while being virulently racist towards the main star outside of that.

I was gonna say, if anything, dumbasses on the right are going to spout after the next assault on Asian Americans “how can the USA be racist? Shang Chi made a billion dollars!”

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Retro Futurist posted:

I live in a small town, and just stick to odd times like Tuesday afternoon. Plus my local theater blocks off the seats all around you and have those giant recliners so you get a good deal of space even if someone else is around

A few American friends have told me theaters there are doing reserved seating, but with no blocking so everyone floods into the middle anyway.

This is Florida though.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I was really hoping Venom 2 would be the first film I see in theatres after COVID since the first film was the last one I saw in theatres before COVID, but alas. I'm not going to the movies until COVID is good and dead.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Be prepared to basically never go to the movies against cause I can't imagine a scenario where enough people in this country get vaccinated to fully exterminate it.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Blockhouse posted:

Be prepared to basically never go to the movies against cause I can't imagine a scenario where enough people in this country get vaccinated to fully exterminate it.

Outside of renting theatres or those of you who live in ghost towns with empty showings all day long, pretty much this.

I’ve been very happy with the private screenings though. My friend group got together for Black Widow, and for my birthday we watched Clue and brought in a sheet cake and soda (because Cinemark employees don’t give a poo poo and we clean up after ourselves), and both times were lovely.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

It's almost weird how little marketing push Shang-Chi is getting here. Sure the trailer is up on Instagram and YouTube or whatever, but I've been to the movies a bit recently and there hasn't been any trailer there or any posters for it in the lobby.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Saw a trailer for it during last night's special event network national broadcast baseball game. Also adds on my Amazon Prime. So its getting advertised.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

A few American friends have told me theaters there are doing reserved seating, but with no blocking so everyone floods into the middle anyway.

This is Florida though.

The theater I go to was doing the thing where they blocked off seats but the last couple of times I went it didn't look like they were doing it any more.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'll wear a fuckin gas mask if i have to, i'm seein this poo poo in the theater

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I see a lot of commercials for it.

It also made me realize I didn't know the right way to say Shang-Chi.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Codependent Poster posted:

I see a lot of commercials for it.

It also made me realize I didn't know the right way to say Shang-Chi.

I definitely thought "Shang" was pronounced with a hard "a" sound, yeah.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rhyno posted:

I'll wear a fuckin gas mask if i have to, i'm seein this poo poo in the theater

Eh you'll probably be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm vaxxed and wear masks stille, ill just bubble boy up and head to the Ole cineplex