Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
People love sample chat, so, there were about 5-10 people standing around a sample person when I was at costco yesterday. A man walked up to her and angrily said 'Time to close this now' and she said something, and he said 'serve these people and then close up, it's 4pm', it's late (it might have been more like 4:30pm) and that's my story. He was big mad as they say online. Also I haven't seen diaper genie things at costco since about 6 months ago. And as I say every time I go, stuff is randomly in or out of stock.

Last time: No frozen mochi, yes fudge bars and yasso bars.
This time: frozen mochi, no fudge bars or yasso bars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

david_a posted:

It is good, just keep in mind it’s more of a topping than a salsa you eat on its own.

trip report: i can see why people like it, it adds a nice mild chile flavor to other foods. i had it on a pulled pork sandwich :yum:

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Johnny Truant posted:

:hmmyes:

I just need to find a supplier of massive amounts of tofu and paneer and I'll be fuckin set

Once I get my chest freezer :getin:

My Costco sells firm tofu by the 4 pack.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Ymmv but even the white person costcos near us carry paneer. Got a brick of it in the fridge.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Pinus Porcus posted:

Is that tofu any good? I assume there are, like, quality levels to tofu, right? I don’t eat that much of it but I’m oddly tempted.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
It's drier then other stores but it's perfectly serviceable tofu and has that exact same taste. No complaints

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

It's drier then other stores but it's perfectly serviceable tofu and has that exact same taste. No complaints

Seems like that might not necessarily be a bad thing either if you're planning on frying it up after freezing/pressing

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
my local costco was out of aussie bites so i picked up some palmier’s cookies instead. holy poo poo these are crack.

i picked up the bulgogi in the meat section after reading about it in this thread and headed to the local Asian market to get kimchi and supplies for mul naengmyeon. 10/10 very delicious meal. mr durrneez was very impressed, so thanks thread! the bulgogi marinade was a little bit too sweet for me but tasted great when eaten with kimchi.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pinus Porcus posted:

Taima posted:

Ymmv but even the white person costcos near us carry paneer. Got a brick of it in the fridge.

:nice:

I didn't look while I was there last time

Gives me an excuse to go soon... :getin:

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

extravadanza posted:

How was it? Morimoto looks so happy on the packaging.

I like it. The noodles absorb a lot of the broth so once it's cooled down enough to eat, it's not as soupy as some of the others. Less splatter when I'm trying to eat while working.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Johnny Truant posted:

:nice:

I didn't look while I was there last time

Gives me an excuse to go soon... :getin:
Hi Johnny I smile every time I see you in this thread

That tofu four pack is a staple it's perfectly fine. I like hummus too but once you open a big package that stuff goes bad fast- it gets this weird pink color so I have found the individual hummus packets that come like 20 or so a box to be a good buy. My Costco in California has had them for a couple months now.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Had to stop by my empty, abandoned office for a moment last week. Worked up a thirst, but the only drinks in the place were room temperature LaCroix. Grabbed a lemon, and cracked it open as I walked out of the building. Dying of thirst, I kicked it back and took two big gulps.

It wasn't lemon, it was Limoncello.

Oh god. Oh no. Oh god oh no. It tastes like lemon LaCroix with an added "essence" of vanilla and maybe an "essence" of cream? It tastes like limoncello burps going in. The burps taste like you're burping someone else's limoncello burp. Forever. ))<>((

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

fischtick posted:

Had to stop by my empty, abandoned office for a moment last week. Worked up a thirst, but the only drinks in the place were room temperature LaCroix. Grabbed a lemon, and cracked it open as I walked out of the building. Dying of thirst, I kicked it back and took two big gulps.

It wasn't lemon, it was Limoncello.

Oh god. Oh no. Oh god oh no. It tastes like lemon LaCroix with an added "essence" of vanilla and maybe an "essence" of cream? It tastes like limoncello burps going in. The burps taste like you're burping someone else's limoncello burp. Forever. ))<>((

Yeah that one and the key lime taste like cream soda mixed with lemon or lime sparkling water and is disgusting. I'm so sorry.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

I finally tried the mantecada muffins (maybe a SoCal thing?) and they're basically pound cakes. Tomorrow morning I'm gonna spilt one and top with macerated strawberries.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Argyle posted:

I finally tried the mantecada muffins (maybe a SoCal thing?) and they're basically pound cakes. Tomorrow morning I'm gonna spilt one and top with macerated strawberries.

Those things are extremely common where I come from in Portugal and some in eastern europe, just seems to take on different names according to location

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

https://twitter.com/ai_curio/status/1425273347089346566?s=19

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Costco 40k.

In the grim darkness of the future, there is only hotdogs.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'd still go there.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Nitrousoxide posted:

I put Costco's meat in me today.

It's a lot to take, if you aren't prepared.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
My power went out for about 18 hours a day ago and I was mostly upset about the Costco top sirloin steaks I got that I sealed with my FoodSaver (that I also got from Coscto). I checked the FDA and my fridge might be hosed but they say that your freezer should last 48 hours if unopened.

I am at ease... this day.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Cyrano4747 posted:

Costco 40k.

In the grim darkness of the future, there is only hotdogs.

I don't know if Adeptus Mechanicus ownership would make the website better or worse.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Costco 40k.

In the grim darkness of the future, there is only hotdogs without chopped onions.
ftfy

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Pershing posted:

I don't know if Adeptus Mechanicus ownership would make the website better or worse.

I've been trying to buy the 250 pack of skulls but the goddamn website keeps saying 'servitor not found', fuckin bullshit

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

That is our present...

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Trastion posted:

That is our present...
Yes, but imagine that continuing for another ~38,000 years.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

My power went out for about 18 hours a day ago and I was mostly upset about the Costco top sirloin steaks I got that I sealed with my FoodSaver (that I also got from Coscto). I checked the FDA and my fridge might be hosed but they say that your freezer should last 48 hours if unopened.

I am at ease... this day.

PBUC

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I set up the air purifier and I am on red alert over here. I hope I can whip this room into a safe space. With the poo poo Denver air lately it's not a surprise, plus pets and a lackadaisical cleaning ethic.

Maybe next year I'll get air conditioning with whole house filtering.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

StormDrain posted:

I set up the air purifier and I am on red alert over here. I hope I can whip this room into a safe space. With the poo poo Denver air lately it's not a surprise, plus pets and a lackadaisical cleaning ethic.

having a roomba s9 which has a hepa filter roam around the house every other day or everyday on days of big smoke along with an air purifier and merv 13 filter in hvac does wonders.

the joys of living in the west

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Spinz posted:

Hi Johnny I smile every time I see you in this thread

That tofu four pack is a staple it's perfectly fine. I like hummus too but once you open a big package that stuff goes bad fast- it gets this weird pink color so I have found the individual hummus packets that come like 20 or so a box to be a good buy. My Costco in California has had them for a couple months now.

:swoon:

gonna get me so much tofu and paneer soon.

i just finished my first ever jar of 505, bout to go buy like a fuckin pallet of that poo poo

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

StormDrain posted:

So I dunno if this is true, but my AC guy told me to put the cheapest possible filters into my unit as they didn't impede the flow of air. He said if I got a HEPA filter it would not only tax the motor by blocking air flow but that it would also prevent it from cooling my house as well due to decreased airflow. Could be idiot talk I dunno.

Grain of salt. He told me to just get the cheapest one that fits and change it like every month or 2.

[edit] this is for a circa 2009 whole house AC unit that is slightly underpowered for my house. The builder and previous owner got the smallest unit they could install rated for my square footage

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 13, 2021

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Wendigee posted:

So I dunno if this is true, but my AC guy told me to put the cheapest possible filters into my unit as they didn't impede the flow of air. He said if I got a HEPA filter it would not only tax the motor by blocking air flow but that it would also prevent it from cooling my house as well due to decreased airflow. Could be idiot talk I dunno.

Grain of salt. He told me to just get the cheapest one that fits and change it like every month or 2.

hvac people are usually idiots, one told us that we shouldn't have temperature sensors in any other place other than the thermostat near return and was pissed when I told him to just do his job and gently caress off

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Celexi posted:

hvac people are usually idiots, one told us that we shouldn't have temperature sensors in any other place other than the thermostat near return and was pissed when I told him to just do his job and gently caress off

im not doubting it, i probably shouldn't have said anything at all.

I am tempted to get one of those HEPA filters mentioned earlier for my bedroom though as I do have allergies and I bet it would help.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Wendigee posted:

[edit] this is for a circa 2009 whole house AC unit that is slightly underpowered for my house. The builder and previous owner got the smallest unit they could install rated for my square footage

I've been told that same thing before by multiple HVAC companies. It'd be one thing if it was by a single HVAC tech, but different guys from different companies makes me think there is truth to it.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

iroc.dis posted:

I've been told that same thing before by multiple HVAC companies. It'd be one thing if it was by a single HVAC tech, but different guys from different companies makes me think there is truth to it.

hvac companies(contractors) are usually not very up to date as to what is even inside a hvac unit or know that the hvac manual lists airflow and the max rating filter you can use.

The manual of your HVAC or calling the manufacturer will give you a better idea than "good filter means ac dies"

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
It's partly true. Let's logic it for a minute.

What does a good filter do? Prevents small particles from going through your hvac system and blown out of the vents.

HEPA filters trap very small particles because the passages are small. It's difficult to draw air through. So you get less air flow and your fans have to run longer to get your room to the right temperature. If I recall right, the fans wear from the increased run time, not the obstruction. The obstruction just reduces air flow and the fan can spin faster. Like when you block the end of a shop vac and it starts screaming, it's going a lot faster because there's no resistance.

I was told by our carrier rep that our fan units would see reduced lifespan of 20-30% if HEPA filters are in use.

Side comment on this too, as the filters get clogged they trap more stuff and slow the air further. Using a lower level of filter and changing it often will keep the motor happy and allow the most particulates through. Changing the filter is to maintain comfort with air volume and saving wear on the motor, not for air quality.

The highest quality filters at the big box stores are like MERV 12 which is just a step or two down from HEPA.

I want to switch to a heat pump or just add a cooling coil to mine and run it throughout the summer and circulate air.

Maybe I should talk to the lonely Lennox guy at my Costco.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
20-30% less life of a blower to be able to breathe? sign me up!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Celexi posted:

20-30% less life of a blower to be able to breathe? sign me up!

Literally I had the same thought, compare the depreciation vs a higher spec model that would handle the higher filter.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm not convinced a HEPA filter for your entire house is even worth it. I just go the cheapest filter route for the HVAC and replace it every 3 months, then a small individual HEPA unit in each of mine and the kid's bedroom. I'm not even convinced the individual unit is even necessary but I've been sleeping like that since I was a teenager and at this point I need the white noise.

Despite not having a HEPA unit for the entire house, I completely missed both last fall's ragweed and this spring's tree pollen seasons because I only left the house once a week. The cheapo filters still do plenty of work.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Renegret posted:

I'm not convinced a HEPA filter for your entire house is even worth it. I just go the cheapest filter route for the HVAC and replace it every 3 months, then a small individual HEPA unit in each of mine and the kid's bedroom. I'm not even convinced the individual unit is even necessary but I've been sleeping like that since I was a teenager and at this point I need the white noise.

Despite not having a HEPA unit for the entire house, I completely missed both last fall's ragweed and this spring's tree pollen seasons because I only left the house once a week. The cheapo filters still do plenty of work.

This is very interesting! What smaller HEPA units do you recommend? My partner gets wicked allergies and her nose will get incredibly dry as a result, making me look into humidifiers. But if a HEPA filter could treat the cause instead of the symptom, I'd much prefer that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Johnny Truant posted:

This is very interesting! What smaller HEPA units do you recommend? My partner gets wicked allergies and her nose will get incredibly dry as a result, making me look into humidifiers. But if a HEPA filter could treat the cause instead of the symptom, I'd much prefer that.

Honestly I don't have a recommendation. I just bought some random poo poo on Amazon at the time, but the entire conversation got kicked off by the $99 air purifier that Costco sells which turns red when you fart so I don't see why that wouldn't be a good choice.

But you should get humidifier too. They're life changing, especially in the winter.