Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
Here's the build for next season

Class: Titan, Bottom Tree, Jotunn, Firewalkers, whatever Warming Cell mods or Well mods or hopefully new mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I got bad news about Warmind Cells :negative:

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Destiny's final expansion takes a radical turn when the Factions return...but as Romance Options.

Mithrax, Calus, Savathun and Gate Lord Asher all vie for the Guardian's light...and their love?! How is a follower of the Traveller to choose when all paths lead to the darkness of romance?

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I got bad news about Warmind Cells :negative:

They'll still be better than nothing.

Unless there's a High Energy Fire build I can make with Fusions

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Waffle House posted:

That sounds an awful lot like the worms were doomed from the beginning then, and unless they were capable of vexlike complete panoptical calculation they didn't factor Sathona's full clever. Given that they couldn't forecast being turned into a sniper rifle, I doubt they were such, and thus only Extremely Powerful™ after drinking of the deep for so long.

What's even worse for them is that they forged three deities with very specific and deathsworn personal missions/vendettas who have demonstrably lethally bested their benefactors; Oryx took the Tablets of Ruin for themself and then later turned the remains of Akka into the dreadnaught, Xivu Arath seems like the type to IN FULL CAPSLOCK apply physical and violent sword logic through at least one worm's corpus to TAKE THEIR DUES, and Savathun sounds like she's liable to Throne the worms' full measure (past, present, and future) inside-out at an opportune moment to contain or make manifold of their energy to break the need for tithe. Although I am not sure of this motive, and the Hive themselves may not have realized it at the time, they did attempt to break tithe out of intercompetitive strength rather than experimental tie-severance with their teachers. While the worms grew fat from contempt, the Hive deities have been killing and unkilling each other across the stars for both pleasure and profit. This makes me wonder who Calus truly communed with in the deep; perhaps one of the Hive pantheon rather than the deep itself.

At this point the storywriters have so completely blown my previous conceptions of light and dark out of the water that it sounds like the Black Fleet pyramids, creepy antediluvian and powerful as they are, have made a *tactical* decision to provide Guardians with gifts like the traveler's, which in our galactic juvenile state are misinterpreting them in a No *You're* Savathun! sense as the string-literal avatars of the Deep, which they are not. Such a possibility would of course be immensely concerning because that means there are even worse things out there on both the light and dark sides.

We of course would be on the correct side, which is making guns out of everything that seeks to gently caress around and thus make light and dark spin like a child's pinwheel in the wind, probably precipitating idfk some even further ridiculous rear end bullshit

The thing about the Worm Gods is that while individually they may not survive until the end state, Worms, as a species, will. If Oryx were to reach the end state and navigate everything, his worm would have devoured him, leaving the worm to be the last being in existance. If Xivu killed everything through war, then Xivu's worm would devour her and be the end. If Savathun outsmarted the universe and became the end state, her worm would devour her and be the end. As far as the Worm Gods were concerned... Worms win in any of the 3 ways to the end. And, because their logic and magic involves taking those that are killed by Worm magic and transforming it into something else that benefits the killer's quest to become the end state... They'll reach the end in some form or another. They basically hijack someone else's end run and kill the "winner" to become the winner.

This was the worm bargain, and it was a losing bargain for the Hive. Savathun eventually figured out the trap that the Worms laid and her entire purpose thus far has been to get out of the Worm Bargain. In the books of Sorrow, Savathun realized that they were on the losing end of the bargain, and even told Oryx as much. Since then, all of her actions were designed to get out of the bargain. She flew into a black hole to make time slow down, but the worm saw through that and needed more. She took Quaria and created a time cycle in the Dreaming City to act as a murder battery to feed it. She created Zulmak to kill the daughters of Crota and stop them from resurrecting Oryx (who would have stopped her). She stopped the black fleet from trying to talk to us so that fewer people died and she had more time to work her way out of it. She has been actively taking actions with varying degrees of success since the books of sorrow.

I'm very interested in where this story is going because she'll figure it out eventually.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Maybe a long shot but is there a decent Destiny lore YouTube channel? Like I don’t mind throwing on some long form YouTube videos to kinda catch up on where things are.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Maybe a long shot but is there a decent Destiny lore YouTube channel? Like I don’t mind throwing on some long form YouTube videos to kinda catch up on where things are.
Oh, well if you don't mind, then start with this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mbDXvDNqTU

And follow that up with this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bWbn5bk_uc

That should bring you up to the most recent expansion. From there you can decide to learn about the seasons or start getting into the little details of the lore.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

I'm a stinky lil worm bluhhhhh I bestow paracasual abilities in those I infest buhhhhhhhhhhh

Not a Ghost !!!!!!!!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MarcusSA posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yXs0R370LU

It still makes me laugh how much Destiny 1 synced up with PSO

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 13, 2021

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Worms are dumb as hell; they eat poop

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Discospawn posted:

Oh, well if you don't mind, then start with this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mbDXvDNqTU

And follow that up with this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bWbn5bk_uc

That should bring you up to the most recent expansion. From there you can decide to learn about the seasons or start getting into the little details of the lore.

Hell yeah thanks! Gonna put this on while I make dinner.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

how big is your dinner :psyduck:

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

RocketRaygun posted:

Words about Worms.

And even her actions as of recently, both what we have seen with her using Quria to force our hand and accept the Splicers, and through her possible manipulation of Xivu to force the Cabal to the negotiating table, have been feeding her worm. Because her worm is fed through cunning and deception, Sav has spent the past 50,000 years or more being a deceptive mastermind. They know nothing else but deception, even if it was towards a noble goal like stopping her worm and removing herself from the cycle to finally best it, while keeping her head, it would have to be through exceptional trickery and therefor feed her worm to keep her trapped.

But it can be done, and we are the proof. We are, in short, the last hope for Savathun. Her final, greatest deception to remove her from the worm cycle.

Or we could be following a plan that wipes us out and ends with the Traveller eaten by the darkness, as it has planned for millions of years. We don't know, we may never know!

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I just want to know what happened to Elsie's not-a-ghost floating fish thing

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Bideo James posted:

I'm a stinky lil worm bluhhhhh I bestow paracasual abilities in those I infest buhhhhhhhhhhh

Not a Ghost !!!!!!!!

J.A.B.C. posted:

Or we could be following a plan that wipes us out and ends with the Traveller eaten by the darkness, as it has planned for millions of years. We don't know, we may never know!

Roman posted:

I just want to know what happened to Elsie's not-a-ghost floating fish thing

These are dang ol' good posts! Thank you for them! My thoughts and hopes exactly!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Mattavist posted:

Worms are dumb as hell; they eat poop

makes sense, the hive are poo poo

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

J.A.B.C. posted:

And even her actions as of recently, both what we have seen with her using Quria to force our hand and accept the Splicers, and through her possible manipulation of Xivu to force the Cabal to the negotiating table, have been feeding her worm. Because her worm is fed through cunning and deception, Sav has spent the past 50,000 years or more being a deceptive mastermind. They know nothing else but deception, even if it was towards a noble goal like stopping her worm and removing herself from the cycle to finally best it, while keeping her head, it would have to be through exceptional trickery and therefor feed her worm to keep her trapped.

But it can be done, and we are the proof. We are, in short, the last hope for Savathun. Her final, greatest deception to remove her from the worm cycle.

Not to mention, She needs people to deceive. Savathun's whole deal is to become a law of the universe. She wishes to become "The unanswered question". If you ever ask a question that doesn't have an answer, the answer is Savathun. But.... That doesn't work when everyone is dead. She has to get off of Darkness's wild ride for her to be able to do her thing. She is fundamentally on the side of the light. She needs biodiversity and the existence of sentient life to ask unanswerable questions so she can be the answer to them. That doesn't mean she is an ally to us... in fact her goals run completely counter to ours. So even though she and the Traveler share the same goals, she's not Team Humanity.

Savathun is a really really really interesting character and probably the most well written villains in modern games right now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I’m like 1/2 way through the first video and like none of this poo poo is left in the actual game right? Like they nuked all these stories and lore?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

MarcusSA posted:

So I’m like 1/2 way through the first video and like none of this poo poo is left in the actual game right? Like they nuked all these stories and lore?

A lot of it yeah, but the lore is impossibly good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Waffle House posted:

A lot of it yeah, but the lore is impossibly good.

Yeah I mean it’s really good but really weird that none of this story is accessible anymore.

Kinda sad tbh

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I mean it’s really good but really weird that none of this story is accessible anymore.

Kinda sad tbh

That's MMOs for you. WoW set a god-awful precedent with updating the world state to the point where old content is inaccessible, and now it's weird when a game doesn't do that.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

RocketRaygun posted:

Savathun is a really really really interesting character and probably the most well written villains in modern games right now.

I suspect she greatly benefits from not being directly written 99% of the time.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Gatekeeper challenge is gnarly, even with the cheese

Got a nice godly timelost found verdict :hellyeah:

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Paracelsus posted:

Right. But even then she's pretty good. It's interesting to see the gap between legend and reality. A large part of her deception is building herself up to be more than she is (the Black Hole Thrall comes to mind).

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Paracelsus posted:

Oryx in the lore: 5D chessmaster who has been waging war for billions of years

Oryx ingame: I WILL AVENGE CROTA!! *dies*

Orv
May 4, 2011
By the end of next year Savathun is just gonna be another dumbass hanging out in the tower that we get bounties from.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

Judge Tesla posted:

Nokris is the smartest Hive. Smarter than Sav.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

By Destiny 3 we'll have cockmolded the entire universe and all parallel timelines into being tower vendors but that sounds awesome?!

Orv
May 4, 2011
Just constantly pushing through the tower like "'scuse me, sorry, oh sorry literal personification of entropy I didn't see you there, trying to get to Saint-14, sorry."

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

If you like story and lore you might enjoy Destiny 1. It's far more story / campaign / quest focused. Frustrating to go back and play without class abilities and mantling, but Taken King and Rise of Iron are genuinely cool expansions. If you can pick it up cheap it's an absolutely huge amount of content.

You're right about D2 though. Removing the Red War & first 2 expansions is just absolutely baffling. I understand the technical reasons, but it still pisses me off that I can't go back and replay itat all.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
It is worth noting that a good chunk of what we've been talking about recently has been in the lore books/grimoire/item description text blocks, rather than in-game cutscenes/dialogue/whatever.

so while you can't unlock most of it for your own account anymore, you can go read it at https://www.ishtar-collective.net/ and get the same/better experience

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

RocketRaygun posted:

She is fundamentally on the side of the light. She needs biodiversity and the existence of sentient life to ask unanswerable questions so she can be the answer to them. That doesn't mean she is an ally to us... in fact her goals run completely counter to ours. So even though she and the Traveler share the same goals, she's not Team Humanity.
'Light' represents the protection of biodiversity and an end state of peace, an end to conflict. 'Dark' represents the culling of anything that is inefficient, it represents war as a path to perfecting the final shape.

What's interesting about Savathûn is that if she does rely on biodiversity, she also needs the biodiversity to be at odds with each other, but without wiping each other out. So she cannot fully align with the light, because she needs for there to be some conflict, in order to be that unanswerable question / unsolveable problem.

But equally if that conflict reaches it's logical conclusion of the two sides warring until one is gone, and the universe gets to its final shape via war and the winnowing, she hits the problem you described as well because the one perfect entity at the end of everything is powerful enough to achieve consensus and then she dies before they do.

Really she needs there to be elements of both war and peace with neither winning, and a race that accepts and tolerates internal conflict within its own nature. Something like the crucible is probably absolutely fascinating to her as a kind of managed conflict in that respect, a game of war but where the combatants are never culled out of existence. Instead of achieving sword logic by winnowing, the losers learn from their mistakes and become better in their next attempt.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Really she needs there to be elements of both war and peace with neither winning, and a race that accepts and tolerates internal conflict within its own nature. Something like the crucible is probably absolutely fascinating to her as a kind of managed conflict in that respect, a game of war but where the combatants are never culled out of existence. Instead of achieving sword logic by winnowing, the losers learn from their mistakes and become better in their next attempt.

quote:

Now in this time of diaspora there was a war between AURYX and SAVATHÛN and XIVU ARATH.

Brother Auryx, said SAVATHÛN, do not forgive my betrayal. Instead, take vengeance upon me for what I did at the dry moon! And AURYX made war on her, in worship of the Deep. Between them stood XIVU ARATH saying, stop, or I will kill you, war is mine and I am strongest.

This was how they worshipped.

For twenty thousand years they fought across the moons and they fought in the abyssal plains and lightning palaces of each other's sword spaces. And they killed each other again and again, so that they could practice death.

Such was their love.

quote:

Savathûn and her broods have liberated the Qugu from jaw-beasts, and indeed from existence. But as they chased the Qugu ark-ships, I stopped in to vaporize my sister’s warship and a few of her underlings. I want to dwell on the ruins a while, and punish Savathûn for failing to guard her flank.

quote:

Once, long ago, I killed Xivu Arath on her war moon, and she blew up the whole moon to kill with me her. She was laughing in joy. I laughed too. A whole moon! A whole moon. It was a waste of a moon, but it taught me how to save myself from exploding worlds, which was necessary to fight the Ecumene.

quote:

Oryx my Brother loves me and this love is war.

quote:

Lately I have realized how much I depend on Crota and my daughters, and even upon my court. If I lost them, my outlays would exceed my intakes, my tribute would not be enough to feed my worm. But this is proper — for if I lost them it would be because they were not mighty enough, and then I would be a bad father, a bad King. I must test them and fight with them, to keep them strong. This is my geas.

yeah

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mesadoram posted:

:chloe:

This coming season I think I am going to make a build around the Telesto. it having overload/unstoppable (what ever it was I forget) mod is going to be amazing.

Season of the Jotunn, thank you.

Blessed be to those who ride the Jotuneer.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Something like the crucible is probably absolutely fascinating to her as a kind of managed conflict in that respect, a game of war but where the combatants are never culled out of existence. Instead of achieving sword logic by winnowing, the losers learn from their mistakes and become better in their next attempt.

This is just the Retrofuturist lore blurb.

But also lmfao at "become better in their next attempt" have you seen how trash people are at the pvp in any game??? some people are incapable of improving

life_source fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 13, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I always liked the brief mention of the Ecumene; they're kind of a nod to the Forerunners from Halo. In Destiny the Hive just do the equivalent of a driveby genocide on them lol

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kith posted:

That's MMOs for you. WoW set a god-awful precedent with updating the world state to the point where old content is inaccessible, and now it's weird when a game doesn't do that.

Is it?

Cause like, who else does that besides like, Fortnite?

Also, at least WoW replaced the content with something roughly equivalent and improved in some ways. Bungie removes like 4 planets, several campaigns and multiple activites, and is like "here's cosmodrome, I guess" before giving up and not even finishing that.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Judge Tesla posted:

Thus ever is the unfortunate nature of video games.h

Take a cue from Bloodborne. Never fight godlike beings themselves, but their acolytes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is it at least keeping the install size down for consoles when they get rid of zones/older content like that, or is it still ballooning like CoD does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Harrow posted:

Is it at least keeping the install size down for consoles when they get rid of zones/older content like that, or is it still ballooning like CoD does?

That was part of the stated reason for doing the DCV. I'm under the impression it helped. The other claim seemed to be reducing technical debt (something to the effect of limiting things that can break) so they can make new stuff faster

It's just funny when you have something like FF14 on PS4, basically never removing content, and CoD going "gently caress your disk space" with...whatever the gently caress they're doing.