Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Aphrodite posted:

It's not a shooter, it's a Rocksteady Batman game.

The one trailer we have seen makes it look a hell of a lot like a shooter.

Are you thinking gotham knights per chance? I am talking about suicide squad kill the justice league

Edit: Even wikipedia describes it as a shooter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Vince MechMahon posted:

I want to customize existing heroes and have them die in horrible and hilarious ways. It's a video game, let people get Captain America killed by having him run directly into fire who cares.

would make for a great suicide squad game

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This Marvel X-Com game is finally going to be my chance to play as The Avengers! The Great Lakes Avengers, that is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

This Marvel X-Com game is finally going to be my chance to play as The Avengers! The Great Lakes Avengers, that is.

The perma-death would work great for that. Wasn't one of the minis one where they killed someone every issue?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
At the moment I'm thinking it's this:

Retro Futurist posted:

Ok after reading the article this is just a journalist apparently relating what he was told, so it could just be a misunderstanding

Everything about it sounds kinda weird so I'm waiting for a bit more confirmation about... well, anything. When are they supposedly announcing it? Not terrible far away, right?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Codependent Poster posted:

They did this kind of thing with X-Men Destiny and that sucked.

Just let me play with Marvel characters. Most people will just try and recreate them anyway.

I mean, let's be honest, that is just one of many, many reasons why Destiny sucked.

X-Men Legends kind of did the same thing only in that case it was basically turning Magma into a nigh-unrecognizable WASP-y OC as the viewpoint character (also you could actually play as the X-Men).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Magma is at least WASHP-y

(The HP stands for Hellenic Pagan)

Edit: I guess she's also very much not an Anglo Saxon, but WGHP isn't as catchy. Or was she Roman? WRP?

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 9, 2021

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Skwirl posted:

The perma-death would work great for that. Wasn't one of the minis one where they killed someone every issue?

Plus you have Mr Immortal who dies all the time anyway

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Look I think there is a compromise here we can reach that will make everyone happy.

You should be allowed play as the big Marvel Universe heroes AND there will be perma-death if things go wrong in a mission.

But after any mission where you lose a character, they play a little cutscene showing that the hero wasn't actually disintegrated, but sent forward in time. Or trapped in an alternate universe. Or replaced with a Skrull before the mission. Or being brought back to life on Krakoa.
And at the very end of the game, every character who died is revealed to be still alive. Perfect comic book experience.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

You could also do scenarios where at the start of a mission you're controlling one of the Marvel heavy hitters against overwhelming odds of enemies; basically set up to lose. However, the more enemies you take out with Iron Man/Hulk/etc before being "killed" (captured/knocked out), the fewer enemies you'll need to tackle with your squad of expendables to rescue the name-brand hero. Something like that.

Or the opposite situation - your expendables work a mission taking out fodder (skrulls, brood, AIM, etc), before you take control of a heavy hitter for a boss battle against Super Skrull/Brood Queen/MODOK.

It's an eminently solvable situation.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

The Question IRL posted:

Look I think there is a compromise here we can reach that will make everyone happy.

You should be allowed play as the big Marvel Universe heroes AND there will be perma-death if things go wrong in a mission.

But after any mission where you lose a character, they play a little cutscene showing that the hero wasn't actually disintegrated, but sent forward in time. Or trapped in an alternate universe. Or replaced with a Skrull before the mission. Or being brought back to life on Krakoa.
And at the very end of the game, every character who died is revealed to be still alive. Perfect comic book experience.

Hell, forget the end of the game, have them show up as brainwashed cyborg versions a few missions down the road as an enemy you can rescue back. Even more comic book appropriate and I’m amused at the idea of game strategies including “kill this character off to get a better version ASAP” (think some LOTR games have done that with Gandalf before, but that’s the only other example I can think of off the top of my head).

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

MadDogMike posted:

Hell, forget the end of the game, have them show up as brainwashed cyborg versions a few missions down the road as an enemy you can rescue back. Even more comic book appropriate and I’m amused at the idea of game strategies including “kill this character off to get a better version ASAP” (think some LOTR games have done that with Gandalf before, but that’s the only other example I can think of off the top of my head).

(The year 2026. The place, Dark YouTube. Since this is the dark future.)

"What's up, it's ya boi FreedomLover69, back with another stream. This time I'm going to be playing Marvel Com: Terror From the Deep.
So the strategy we are going to adopt is we are going to get Captain America killed in the first mission. This seems crazy because Cap is so good, but by doing this we get Sam Wilson Captain America as a replacement. And midway through the game we get a chance to recruit Deathlok Captain America and he is seriously OP.
But first I'd just like you all to hit Like and Subscribe and hit the Bell Icon to be notified of all my future streams. And lastly, if you are living in a State that has not adopted Purge Laws, I'd please ask you to contact your elected representatives and tell them to vote to impeach President Mecha-Trump."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean, let's be honest, that is just one of many, many reasons why Destiny sucked.

X-Men Legends kind of did the same thing only in that case it was basically turning Magma into a nigh-unrecognizable WASP-y OC as the viewpoint character (also you could actually play as the X-Men).

I don't even hate the core idea from Destiny of creating a new X-Man for you to control, but they need to actually have a character, instead of just being along for the ride. Basically give me Mass Effect, but the classes are what Shep's mutant power is.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
An Avengers game where you don't get to play as any of the Avengers doesn't sound all that fun to me no matter what template gets placed over top of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This is a no-win situation because there are in fact people who want to create their own characters to play in an existing universe. There is a reason why that kind of stuff is popular. There is a reason so many licensed games have a create-a-character feature and why they are so popular. There were even complaints about the fact that Marvel's Avengers didn't let you make your own character.

For every person who only wants to play as the specific defined characters there is another who thinks it is fuckin' rad they got to make their own Goku but he has green hair and an eyepatch. Likewise people remember X-Men Destiny for sucking because it sucked but prior to it coming out people were hype about the idea of a genuine "make my own X-Man and hang out with the other X-Men" game.

It isn't a success every time but there's a reason every fuckin' license on the planet eventually does a create your own protagonist thing and that is because there is usually a high demand for it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, was it ever an Avengers game? Wasn't it just said as a Marvel game?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ngl if you are dying for a create a character tactics game but also want a "normal" xcom game where your soldiers are subject to instant, unforeseen deaths, and not a chimera squad xcom game where you have to keep them alive, you don't actually know what you want and should thus be ignored imo

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm just saying, WWF Warzone on PlayStation 1 wouldn't have been nearly as fun if I hadn't been able to create Jean-Luc Picard who delivered his devastating finisher, the Warp 9.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

ngl if you are dying for a create a character tactics game but also want a "normal" xcom game where your soldiers are subject to instant, unforeseen deaths, and not a chimera squad xcom game where you have to keep them alive, you don't actually know what you want and should thus be ignored imo

I have no idea what you're saying here because creating and customizing your characters is half the fun of X-COM. It makes them feel a lot more meaningful. Like you have a ~6 person squad and ideally they stay with you as long as possible, you're drat right I am customizing them as best I can.

Like you do know that there are boatloads of mods and even official DLC that offer more customization options, right? It's pretty lovely of you to claim that people don't know what they want just because it's not how you play the game.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 13, 2021

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Medullah posted:

I'm just saying, WWF Warzone on PlayStation 1 wouldn't have been nearly as fun if I hadn't been able to create Jean-Luc Picard who delivered his devastating finisher, the Warp 9.

You didn't call it the Picard Maneuver? For shame.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i mean, you have a set of classes to choose from, each with a set of skills, that you generally take specific ones to min/max, and 3 sets of weapons that you power level to hit the endgame stuff as fast as you can. and then when your guy dies you replace him with another guy with maybe the exact same build, or maybe slightly different. or maybe you decide to swap them out for one of a different class. like, not exactly a lot of customization going on

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You can customize how they look and their names and nationalities.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
This discussion is literally not gonna go anywhere. I'm kind of on site's side that I don't give a poo poo if the game wants me to play dress up and let me write a 400 word fanfic but there's no actual impact to the narrative or actual meaningful interaction with those choices, but I know lots of people also love those type of things and I don't think either side's gonna persuade the other.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gaz-L posted:

I don't even hate the core idea from Destiny of creating a new X-Man for you to control, but they need to actually have a character, instead of just being along for the ride. Basically give me Mass Effect, but the classes are what Shep's mutant power is.
I mean there was Sunfire's daughter (I mean they didn't explicitly say so, but given her last name and the fact he had fire powers and sent her to find the X-Men , it was pretty obvious - I presume the second part of his instructions was to immediately quit the team) and the Ex-Purifier as at least potentially compelling starting points for characters, but why the gently caress they just had rando Jock Bro along for the ride is a mystery other than I guess they decided they needed three characters for the promo art to show off the powers?

Didn't Mike Carey write the plot for that game? I'm guessing they just had him write an outline, because there's no way he'd have missed that Pixie doesn't actually have teleportation as her mutant power (which the bad guys steal later) when she learnt it as magic (from Magik). She even does incantations when you see her open portals for the first time, how did they gently caress up their own internal continuity so bad?

I mean, it was basically a wacky scheme to get people to fund their other games, so I don't know what I was expecting.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It should be pointed out we're getting mad about a game that hasn't even been officially announced yet, given their record it's a likely a turn based tactical game, but maybe its an RTS or a cover based third person shooter or an open world RPG

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That isn't announced, based on rumors and stuff surely some of the posts in this thread have made up.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
i only just now realized that GotG game is still square enix. I am no longer anticipating that game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Soonmot posted:

i only just now realized that GotG game is still square enix. I am no longer anticipating that game

The majority of The Avenger's problems came from being forced into a Games As Service model and having to design around that. GotG is explicitly a single player only game. So if nothing else they at least are not going to repeat the same mistakes.

And honestly if The Avengers had just been the story missions without the grindy stuff it would have probably been seen a lot better.

Even beyond that it's a different team from the Avengers game. The team working on GotG did the recent Deus Ex games and Shadow of the Tomb Raider. That doesn't necessarily mean it will be good but there's no clear reason why it wouldn't at least be a fun time, if not anything groundbreaking.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 25, 2021

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah the single player story side of Avengers was good, if they'd not bothered with the GaaS stuff and put more into that it would have been a really great game. Hopefully they learned their lesson

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Guardians of the Galaxy is being made by a different team as well. Avengers was Crystal Dynamics, GotG is Eidos Montréal.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Avengers is frequently on sale now, $20 is decent to play just the story stuff. Plus the Hawkeye and Panther DLCs are free so you'd get the story parts of those too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Firaxis game is Midnight Suns. Just debuted at Gamescom.

No gameplay shown, but confirmed you do play as existing characters. The main character story wise is original.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1430593659053953030?s=19
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1430594103448854528?s=19

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Here's the trailer too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz8Vw5tOf5M

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
:ughh: that song

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

gently caress that sooooooooooong

Is that Nico?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
"We want this game to have a mystically tinged hero for the protagonist, who has a connection to the villainous demonic character last boss"

"You mean like Magik?"

"Sure, put her in there too"

My hype has been suitably deflated, although I suppose it might still be good. The mixture of bad trailer music covers and everyone walking out looking like they're wearing custom costume parts from a Netherrealm game just doesn't scream "Everything you love about Marvel and Firaxis, combined"

Nice to see Nico getting some airtime, though, even if her new hair is bad

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That looks extremely cheesy and extremely fun, potentially. Now let me romance my roommate Wolverine, and I'm 100% on board.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

It feels like they had an existing game developed and then a studio exec parachuted in with some bizarre notes at the last minute.

Game Developer: "Okay, this is a game about dark superheroes fighting a mystical menace. We've got Dr. Strange, Magik, Blade, Ghost Rider, Wolverine, Nico Minoru, and, of course the famous Totally OC Do Not Steal."

Executive: "I recognize literally two of those names. Better stick some Avengers in there for the kiddies. Like Iron Man; he fights vampires, right?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Android Blues posted:

That looks extremely cheesy and extremely fun, potentially. Now let me romance my roommate Wolverine, and I'm 100% on board.

sorry, you don't play as cyclops