Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Whoa I think I remember that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Link? Also does anyone have a link to the thread from the guy whose wife woke up one day with an entirely different personality and just ran off? I think she vanished for like s month.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

someone did a little research in 2017:

DoctorTristan posted:

P[arachutePatty]'s not been seen since her thread.

hoping the "my wife is in a persistent vegetative state" goon is doing well

ChickenOfTomorrow has a new favorite as of 04:15 on Aug 13, 2021

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Upgrade posted:

Link? Also does anyone have a link to the thread from the guy whose wife woke up one day with an entirely different personality and just ran off? I think she vanished for like s month.

Are you thinking of Agatha Christie?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

someone did a little research in 2017:

Well, Parachute Patty was a parachute account for another poster, so she wouldn't be posting outside of that one thread anyway.

I poked around a bit on google/bing/duckduckgo and didn't find the thread, I wonder if it got memory holed.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Well, Parachute Patty was a parachute account for another poster, so she wouldn't be posting outside of that one thread anyway.

I poked around a bit on google/bing/duckduckgo and didn't find the thread, I wonder if it got memory holed.

I think E/N isn't public so generally inaccessible to google and other search crawlers: trying to help myself

Hub Cat has a new favorite as of 04:57 on Aug 13, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3741111

quote:

Mindy has special dietary needs. I cook natural foods because processed foods contain things she isn't supposed to eat. There are some restaurant meals that she can have but they're very limited. She's also cautious regarding all kinds of foods so there are additional things she tries to avoid if they're not healthy enough. The real difficulty is how hard she takes it if anything goes wrong. This isn't only regarding food but anything that goes wrong at all. Her illness has made her reactions severe. Here's an example.

There are a few places we get food from because their ingredients are okay. Recently I started getting a different version of a certain entree. Mindy and I had discussed this before I started getting the new version. I distinctly remember the conversation. The meal contains one food item which isn't very healthy, but neither is it on the list of foods we're actively avoiding.

Now Mindy noticed that the meal was different, even though she'd eaten it several times since the change was made. She didn't remember our conversation, and she thinks that I had made the change without asking her, and she's angry about it. Not sure how she didn't notice the ingredients were different until now.

I've been taking notes on her diet which show she has been eating this for the past few weeks. She questioned whether I had written it down wrong. Her reaction today was hostile and I'm afraid about what she'll be like when she comes home. I just feel terrible.

Basically an entire thread of responses going "you're being abused" come to this in the space of a few pages

quote:

Regarding your story - yes to destroying objects, although this is rare, maybe an average of once a year, although one year when she was really stressed out about something it happened around 6 times. The part that ticks me off most, oddly enough, is that the majority of the time I'm the one who ended up cleaning up the debris in order to help her calm down. Otherwise the moody aftermath will be worse / last longer.

No to berating me for hours, but yes to grilling me with questions, literally yelling in my face, and then getting even angrier when I'm paralyzed / unable to immediately answer. I've tried to explain to her how this is counterproductive plus scares the poo poo out of me and I think we may have made some progress on this. Granted, this has happened only about once or twice a year.

Near the end of the thread someone summarized the previous 70 pages

quote:

But she absolutely does know it. Just a few examples, from what you've said in the thread:

-You've mentioned about her throwing/breaking items and how you felt about it. She didn't care, and told you she would keep doing it, and that "it's not even directed at you anyway". Parts of the broken items have hit you before. She still does it.
-You made her breakfast, but it was sat on the side "too long" (if I remember rightly) so she kicked it across the room. She told you that you could make it again, but properly this time. What sort of feeling do you think she expected you to feel after that?
-She decided to lie on the couch in silence waiting for you to talk to her, and ask what was wrong, so that she could respond with a spiteful hurtful comment (and that was definitely intentional)
-She says inappropriate things in front of your daughter. I'm assuming you've brought this up, asked her not to? Even if not, I'm guessing the content is enough to infer that the comments are deliberate (if not for you, certainly for us). At the very very least she isn't bothering to watch what she says and how she acts around your child.
-She has said, in front of Katie, that she is jealous of Katie taking your attention. There is no way to spin that into a positive, and even if it was a thoughtless comment (nope), other comments and behaviours just reinforce it.
-She tries to make you put her wants over your regardless of context (the shower) and gets angry when you don't. She treats you badly afterwards, for extended periods. Not an accident, not unaware.
-The whole quitting her job thing, being angry at you for wanting to discuss it, and everything around that god drat
-Deliberately waking you up and ruining your sleep, not an uncommon occurrence
-She's deliberately changed her behaviour after being called out on it (the shouting, to the sulking and silent treatment). Like others have said, it's not an improvement, just different tactics

Do you see how there's no way that she doesn't realise what she's doing, based on the few things above? And that's only a few of the things that you've written in this thread.

It basically ends with PP being all "well some abusers don't ever change, but Mindy is changing and I'm willing to stand up to her now" like holy poo poo you realize this is literally part of the cycle of abuse.

not great.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 04:54 on Aug 13, 2021

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
That poor person :smith:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Did she ever say explicitly what her illness was?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

pentyne posted:

It basically ends with PP being all "well some abusers don't ever change, but Mindy is changing and I'm willing to stand up to her now" like holy poo poo you realize this is literally part of the cycle of abuse.

not great.
if only it were that easy for victims of abuse to realize and escape

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Jesus christ that's depressing. :smith:

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I'm so sorry for that person, I sincerely hope they managed to break free in the end :smith:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It's made worse by the fact that same-sex relationships are often not treated seriously by law enforcement or the courts. Abusive same-sex relationships are about as common as they are in any other relationships, and the abuse often takes the same forms. Lesbian relationships can often include physical abuse that gets ignored by authorities, same with those of gay men. Female-on-male abuse is often glossed over or invisible, because it doesn't fit societal expectations, either.

Trauma is so drat common I'd like to see trauma-informed care forced into the training for every cop and healthcare worker, and then additional training on top of that.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

it would be more effective if it was targeted at cop's wives

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's made worse by the fact that same-sex relationships are often not treated seriously by law enforcement or the courts. Abusive same-sex relationships are about as common as they are in any other relationships, and the abuse often takes the same forms. Lesbian relationships can often include physical abuse that gets ignored by authorities, same with those of gay men. Female-on-male abuse is often glossed over or invisible, because it doesn't fit societal expectations, either.

Trauma is so drat common I'd like to see trauma-informed care forced into the training for every cop and healthcare worker, and then additional training on top of that.

In the female on male scenarios its usually almost impossible to spot from the inside because it usually takes the forms of emotional abuse, which is invisible by default before you add a dash of 'men aren't the abused partner'

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
There was a guy from my old town that everyone teased for being "henpecked" and "whipped" until his wife killed him and herself. Kinda changed all the public screaming and yelling matches our town saw from funny/embarrassing to "oh gently caress, how did we not see that coming."

That all happened before I was born, but even in retellings a lot of the blame was put on him for "not being able to control her."

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

RFC2324 posted:

In the female on male scenarios its usually almost impossible to spot from the inside because it usually takes the forms of emotional abuse, which is invisible by default before you add a dash of 'men aren't the abused partner'

As someone who has been there, yeah. There's also the "What sort of wuss are you?" thing that society does with abused men.
I look back on that time in my life now and wonder how the hell I didn't see what was going on.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

They'll always find another victim within weeks. You can't protect someone who doesn't feel instinctive outrage at being treated like poo poo.

The priority should be to to find abusive personalities on a second offence and remove them from society until they are safe (so being realistic, for the rest of their lives)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
https://twitter.com/redditships/status/1426244579502739463

Congratulations, we've destroyed someone's relationship

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Nuns with Guns posted:

https://twitter.com/redditships/status/1426244579502739463

Congratulations, we've destroyed someone's relationship

Look, we don't know that. With a quick googling I couldn't find that thread unfortunately cause I really wanted to know how that situation unfolds.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/p3gun0/me_28m_with_my_girlfriend_28f_found_out_shes/

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Aw man, it's a bit disappointing that most comments are just "nah it's fine" I was hoping they'd link the vice article about FYAD being Nazis or something.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

IGgy IGsen posted:

Aw man, it's a bit disappointing that most comments are just "nah it's fine" I was hoping they'd link the vice article about FYAD being Nazis or something.

Be the change you want to see in this world.

edit: I should be clear this is a joke, don't really do this.

Zil has a new favorite as of 20:08 on Aug 13, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lol @ being a redditor in 2021 and being more worried about a forum of 40-year-olds whose main hobbies are posting cats and slapfighting about whether Bukharin or Hohxa was the true inheritor of the revolution

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Zil posted:

Be the change you want to see in this world.

Please don't

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

I commented that I post here and I'm a stand-up individual instead. That last part may not be true but they don't need to know that.
First time I used my reddit account in ages.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

IGgy IGsen posted:

I do like that most of the comments are essentially "you're posting this on reddit....."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:tinfoil: it was posted by a goon to gauge reddit sentiment but only goon redditors posted replies so we will never know

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Reveal yourself ladygoon

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Someone with a reddit account and disposable income buy the dude an account too

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

no dont

buy one for jon stewart so he can finally explain whether the phrase "comedy gold" was a reference or not

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Carthag Tuek posted:

no dont

buy one for the ghost of Robin Williams ooOooOooOoO

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Robin Williams already has an account and he still posts :rolleyes:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

OK now it makes sense why he named his daughter Zelda. Only a goon would do that!

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Spooky!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

Robobot posted:

There was a guy from my old town that everyone teased for being "henpecked" and "whipped" until his wife killed him and herself. Kinda changed all the public screaming and yelling matches our town saw from funny/embarrassing to "oh gently caress, how did we not see that coming."

That all happened before I was born, but even in retellings a lot of the blame was put on him for "not being able to control her."

It's a throwback to medieval/early modern european peasant morality. In rural France, if a husband was 'henpecked' eventually the whole community would gather around their house and harass them until he beat his wife.

Patriarchy does and always has required incredible and ugly social pressure to maintain.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I haven’t heard “whipped” in years. Glad it’s gone

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

pentyne posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3741111

Basically an entire thread of responses going "you're being abused" come to this in the space of a few pages

Near the end of the thread someone summarized the previous 70 pages

not great.

Augh dangit. PP's partner's behavior reminds me of a (former) friend of mine who had a self-diagnosed extremely specific health condition that would google constantly. It would flare up occasionally and she would make everyone turn their lives upside down because pity poor me. Because it was environmental she'd destroy apartments and then crash on people's couches and then destroy their homes. We repeatedly told her to stop listening to internet doctors and start working with real doctors to get to the bottom of it.

After she basically lost all of her friends and burned every bridge it turned out that it wasn't a super rare super special morgellans-tier undiagnosable super disease that only internet people know about because doctors are idiots: it was a personality disorder layered with anxiety attacks.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

It's a throwback to medieval/early modern european peasant morality. In rural France, if a husband was 'henpecked' eventually the whole community would gather around their house and harass them until he beat his wife.

Patriarchy does and always has required incredible and ugly social pressure to maintain.
I think this still happens on Dr. Phil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think this still happens on Dr. Phil

I'm sure Dr. Phil uses only the best euphemisms and quack psychology to promote and encourage domestic abuse.