Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

pro tip for melbournians in the south east looking for clotting juice: a lot of places I checked were booked out but Sanderingham has a bunch of free slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Animal Friend posted:

pro tip for melbournians in the south east looking for clotting juice: a lot of places I checked were booked out but Sanderingham has a bunch of free slots.

Sandown racecourse in Springvale was also pretty free when I was booking

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010
You'd think one of the reporters could call her out on her bullshit. But no, they are all complicit in this. And then Hazzard comes along to waste time and count down the clock. And then they leave after 30 - 45 minutes, it proceeds to get worse and they continue to talk about plans of opening up and bullshit hotels and clubs. The 100,000 jabs going to these young vulnerable essential workers will be employees of hotels and clubs so they can open them up.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

go_banana posted:

You'd think one of the reporters could call her out on her bullshit. But no, they are all complicit in this. And then Hazzard comes along to waste time and count down the clock. And then they leave after 30 - 45 minutes, it proceeds to get worse and they continue to talk about plans of opening up and bullshit hotels and clubs. The 100,000 jabs going to these young vulnerable essential workers will be employees of hotels and clubs so they can open them up.

A vaccine to punt?

*scoff*

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Launchpad McQuack posted:

what do you want people from overseas to do?

Not write opinion piece's about how Australia's restrictions are tyrannical. If we need tips on how to fill up mass graves in a hurry then we'll be sure to ask them.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
That Traveller article was one hundred percent right, it's not 2020 anymore no matter how much you want to wallow in it forever

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Lol it's not about "wallowing" it's about acknowledging that the complacency and ineptitude of other countries got hundreds of thousands of their citizens killed - a horrific tragedy! - and considering that "harsh" lockdowns might perhaps be preferable to a mountain of dead bodies.

It was also pretty loving rich to write it about Italy in the first place when that's the country that blocked our early AZ shipments.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Seemlar posted:

That Traveller article was one hundred percent right, it's not 2020 anymore no matter how much you want to wallow in it forever

I'm the country with a hundred and thirty thousand covid deaths (probably under reported) telling the country with under a thousand deaths they done hosed up.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

It doesn't matter how you start the race tho

slorb
May 14, 2002
Overseas Australians should absolutely be mad at the Australian government for the slow vaccine rollout and the inability to build any new delta proof quarantine facilities like Howard Springs.

Getting angry because the state premiers won't let them turn up without quarantine or a decent vaccination rate and kill our elderly relatives isnt going to change anything.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

NSW Premier, after issuing the umpteenth change to health orders, states they are sick and tired of hearing people say they didn't know about health orders.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
I feel like a article in something called "traveller" might not be a fair and equitable reading of the situation. Perhaps we should listen to people with less brain worms.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Eediot Jedi posted:

NSW Premier, after issuing the umpteenth change to health orders, states they are sick and tired of hearing people say they didn't know about health orders.

it really feels like they are changing them purely to drive infringement notice revenue.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/ElliotJStein/status/1425762284220018690

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Solemn Sloth posted:

Sandown racecourse in Springvale

Doo dah, doo dah.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
'No Way To Prevent This,' Says Only State Where This Regularly Happens

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

freebooter posted:

I follow a lot of overseas news for work, and the "Australia's success bred complacency" narrative being pushed in a lot of coverage is simplistic at best and flat-out wrong at worst. At least as it applies to the general population - complacency was certainly a factor in the govt's vaccine failures.

The thing that really amazes me is the narrative (both in Australia and abroad) that Australia has "squandered" its success or been "left behind." Like that loving op-ed in Traveller the other week from some expat in Italy talking about how everyone is vaccinated there and is out and about enjoying the sunshine while poor old Australia is in lockdown. The hundreds of thousands of deaths that places like the US and Europe racked up are just ignored, swept under the carpet, memory holed. Like they don't matter. Nothing matters except the survivors being able to get gelato again.

I don't know about that article but I know of one person who's been through the hotel quarantine system three times because FIFO work to a mine in Africa is essential business travel, and their wife is "not in a rush to get vaccinated, maybe next year" because they have a new baby so they aren't planning any overseas holidays.

I completely agree that the government has a huge portion of the blame but from here it does seem like the general population are so complacent because they haven't seen the deaths and disruption the rest of the world has. People were fighting to get to the head of the list in other countries because they had to take it seriously. Australia has been fine in it's little bubble and it seems like the only thing that will make people care about the border closures is not being able to go on a trip to Europe next winter.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

if the government really wanted people to get vaccinated theyd tell them the greens dont want them to.

told yall he wasnt done but also please dont give money to nigel farage

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Aug 13, 2021

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Long covid is just communism by another name

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eediot Jedi posted:

Long covid is just communism by another name

stalinism

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Destroyenator posted:

I completely agree that the government has a huge portion of the blame but from here it does seem like the general population are so complacent because they haven't seen the deaths and disruption the rest of the world has. People were fighting to get to the head of the list in other countries because they had to take it seriously. Australia has been fine in it's little bubble and it seems like the only thing that will make people care about the border closures is not being able to go on a trip to Europe next winter.

There are definitely some people here who aren't in a rush about it, but according to polling about 80% of Australians intend to get vaxxed/are already vaxxed, with about another 15% in the "not sure" basket rather than being outright anti-vaxxers. That's much higher pro-vaxx rate than the US or mainland Europe. Our slow vaccination pace is almost entirely down to supply issues.

You don't need to be using condescending phrases like "fine in its little bubble." Being in a little bubble is good. Being in a little bubble has saved tens of thousands of lives.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Life is cheap in the occident

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Antipodean bubbles

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Is there a goon sufficiently versed in Fair Work that they can help me with act references to defend myself and my colleagues against a new demand from our micromanager, who wants us to be at work 15 minutes early to do our setup in unpaid time because "We're adults, it's the adult thing to do", and anyone not doing it will face repercussions? We're all on the Clerks award if it matters.

Our micromanager is really dialing up the absolute bullshit to try and recover our numbers and her position, after months of her incompetence doubled and tripled the workload, which also doubled and tripled the metrics that are our KPIs, for no increase in actual output, because she refuses to learn a single thing about what our job is, how it's done, or recognise any of the difficulties whatsoever in 24/7 shift work.

She also doesn't like me, and has already been targetting me in the weeks leading up to this new policy, because she's the kind who thinks that being relentlessly, saccharine dipped positive about everything all the time overrides all problems, and anyone who is ever lesss than that is a threat to maintaining that fantasy. Her idea of keeping people wanting to come to work is a newsletter and an employee of the month award with no actual prize, while all feedback about things that the people here actually care about is thrown into the bin.

The SA branch of the ASU was going to send me an email, but it hasn't arrived yet.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 13, 2021

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

perepelki posted:

newcastle and maitland are the filthiest places i've ever lived in. both in terms of trash and pollution, but also just, the air is still. it just hangs there, full of suspended grime particles. they used to get big summer storms that would sweep everything clean, but climate change and development changed the local weather patterns and now the air is just this unmoving stagnant miasma that's 40% oxygen, 20% coal dust, 20% diseased human aerosols. if you've ever been in the creepy retail complex in the tunnels under sydney cbd? the air's like that, but it's the whole city, from hunter street out west to about glendale

You know, I'd always wondered about that weird feeling Newcastle gave me, I think that's actually really helped put that into perspective.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

NTRabbit posted:

Is there a goon sufficiently versed in Fair Work that they can help me with act references to defend myself and my colleagues against a new demand from our micromanager, who wants us to be at work 15 minutes early to do our setup in unpaid time because "We're adults, it's the adult thing to do", and anyone not doing it will face repercussions? We're all on the Clerks award if it matters.

Our micromanager is really dialing up the absolute bullshit to try and recover our numbers and her position, after months of her incompetence doubled and tripled the workload, which also doubled and tripled the metrics that are our KPIs, for no increase in actual output, because she refuses to learn a single thing about what our job is, how it's done, or recognise any of the difficulties whatsoever in 24/7 shift work.

She also doesn't like me, and has already been targetting me in the weeks leading up to this new policy, because she's the kind who thinks that being relentlessly, saccharine dipped positive about everything all the time overrides all problems, and anyone who is ever lesss than that is a threat to maintaining that fantasy. Her idea of keeping people wanting to come to work is a newsletter and an employee of the month award with no actual prize, while all feedback about things that the people here actually care about is thrown into the bin.

The SA branch of the ASU was going to send me an email, but it hasn't arrived yet.

If your boss wants you to perform work, they need to pay you for it, period.

https://www.fairwork.gov.au/pay/unpaid-work

Specifically the following:

quote:

Employees also have to be paid the right pay for time spent in team meetings or opening and closing the business, if their employer requires them to be there.

e: As a shift worker, your Hours of Work section of the Clerks award is as follows:

https://awardviewer.fwo.gov.au/award/show/MA000002#P750_62403

While they have a fair bit of leeway in adjusting hours of work, if you are not rostered on (and therefore not getting paid) you have no obligation to work. Ask if the 15 minutes early is mandatory and if so, that you want it in writing and reflected on your roster sheet.

Chase up your ASU union rep, this stuff is their bread and butter.

shalcar fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 13, 2021

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
in addition to the above they can't change your hours of work without written agreement (assuming you're full time)

edit: unless i'm wrong.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 13, 2021

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I've been looking into expansion of work roles without a corresponding expansion of pay or an updated work contract or whatever as my partner is in a similar situation and came across the advice to do not do the changed work without that written agreement as doing so can be interpreted as agreeing to the new terms (because verbal agreements count) and can prevent you seeking any recourse later on.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

466 gj NSW

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

just think if it wasn't for the World's Toughest Lockdown those cases would be in the thousands!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
loving gold standard NSW right there

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Someone stop the ride and take the clown off the controls please, shes cooked.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

holy gently caress

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
gotta be 500 by like, tuesday if not before, right?

loving hell. poo poo's cooked

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
If NSW is the toughest lockdown in the country then why is Vic not already at 10000 cases a day given how contagious delta is?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

The long buried call-center worker in me just laughed at this entire post. If you're covered by an award instead of an EBA you might be in luck, but personally I would just find a new job.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

New South Wales everybody. Enjoying* how as the most populous state with the biggest economy NSW is a special unique situation, which Vic definitely wasn't when it was going hard locking down early, just contact trace better easy fix Dan.

*I am not enjoying this or Melbourne bubbling away tbh

Box of Bunnies posted:

gotta be 500 by like, tuesday if not before, right?

loving hell. poo poo's cooked

I reckon the Tuesday bounce will hit 700.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

It's driving me up the wall how she keeps talking about how the solution has always been vaccination. Yeah no loving poo poo, the idea was to keep the virus out until it was done!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

shalcar posted:

If your boss wants you to perform work, they need to pay you for it, period.

https://www.fairwork.gov.au/pay/unpaid-work

Specifically the following:

e: As a shift worker, your Hours of Work section of the Clerks award is as follows:

https://awardviewer.fwo.gov.au/award/show/MA000002#P750_62403

While they have a fair bit of leeway in adjusting hours of work, if you are not rostered on (and therefore not getting paid) you have no obligation to work. Ask if the 15 minutes early is mandatory and if so, that you want it in writing and reflected on your roster sheet.

Chase up your ASU union rep, this stuff is their bread and butter.

Thanks!

bell jar posted:

The long buried call-center worker in me just laughed at this entire post. If you're covered by an award instead of an EBA you might be in luck, but personally I would just find a new job.

No EBA, just an award. I work in an admin office, not a call centre, but because part of the job is taking calls the micromanager has decided we are a call centre, and treats us like dispensable entry level call centre workers. She is an infuriating waste of oxygen, and it's really ramped up since our director was marooned in Canberra by border closures a month and a half ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A question about the juxtaposition of Dictator Dan and Plague Spreader Gladys.

During the worst of Vioctorias outbreak/lockdowns Dan was on TV every day in his North Face jacket, facing hostile/stupid questions and putting himself in the public eye largely saying the same thing over and over. "Here is the new number, here are the new restrictions. Blah de blah de blah."

When all was said and done, this ended up gaining him popularity. Despite some grumbles from people who would never have been fans anyway, he largely cemented his place as a popular leader.

Now Gladys is also fronting the press every day on TV. Saying a similar thing over and over. "Here is the new number, here are the new restrictions, here are the new suburbs/towns under 'lockdown'. Blah de blah de blah." But is it gaining/cementing her popularity? She does not seem to be winning any new fans, nor even maintaining her popularity levels. Possibly even the opposite.

So apart from the one glaring difference between the two, (Dan did a hard harsh lockdown that eventually brought the cases/deaths down vs Gladys's half arsed piecemeal soft lockdowns where the number seems to be growing and spreading geographically), what else could be the difference between perceptions of popularity?