Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

devmd01 posted:

I’m not planning on going crazy.

For a couple weeks at least…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

devmd01 posted:

Oh hell, it begins. Time to get my feet wet on getting home assistant set up and running. Main impetus is for Christmas lights; I installed four outlets up in the eaves to plug things in and I don’t want to deal with getting all the timers lined up and plugged in simultaneously, as well as the three interior outlets that also need timers. There are a few other things like water sensors I’d like to have but I’m not planning on going crazy.

Ohhh yes, this is how it begins. You'll have 30+ devices on your network before you even know what happend :D

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fletcher posted:

Ohhh yes, this is how it begins. You'll have 30+ devices on your network before you even know what happend :D

Can confirm. I'm currently at 30, but there are at least 8 plugs for holiday lights that I haven't paired again since I upgraded to the latest stack and took the opportunity to factor reset my stick.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I can also confirm. I'm at the point where I get irritated if something isn't smart home controlled.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

skipdogg posted:

I can also confirm. I'm at the point where I get irritated if something isn't smart home controlled.

I had to actually walk over to my oven and push a button to pre-heat it. Time for a new one!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I wish I had never started because my house is a Frankenstein mess that is barely functional or worthwhile. At least I have some pretty lights to play with.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I can really, honestly say with a straight face and that I am trying to solve a specific problem here and I doubt that I will go much beyond the 4x outlets and 4x piggyback plugs needed, maybe water sensors in the obvious places to do some alerting.

About the only other possible integrations that won’t happen for a while are with the hvac system and getting a keypad lock for the garage exit door. Anywhere that truly needs motion sensing lights I can just put in a regular motion sensing switch; I don’t want my light switches on any kind of automation. Maybe I’m lacking in imagination but I spent some time looking through what zwave things are available and what scenarios people have created with them and I just don’t care or don’t find them useful to me.

I’m happy to report back in a year that I was wrong, but I doubt I will be. :colbert:

HA is pretty slick though, I had a spare SFF pc to throw it on because my esxi host doesn’t support usb passthru and it took less than 30 mins to install and get the first device connected.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 12, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BigFactory posted:

I wish I had never started because my house is a Frankenstein mess that is barely functional or worthwhile. At least I have some pretty lights to play with.

This is why my entire method of doing this is with things that can be controlled manually with no automation enabled. A lot of these devices are simply light switches/dimmers. A bunch of others are sensors so that the also-manually-controllable stuff can be controlled over zwave.

devmd01 posted:

I don’t want my light switches on any kind of automation. Maybe I’m lacking in imagination but I spent some time looking through what zwave things are available and what scenarios people have created with them and I just don’t care or don’t find them useful to me.

One of my favorite automations is for my outside lights. They turn on at 30% brightness at dusk, and turn off at 9 or 10 PM. If you break the driveway sensor they ramp up to 100% for 5 minutes. If they were off and it's still dark out they do the same.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 12, 2021

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

fletcher posted:

None of us *planned* on going crazy.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

How difficult would it be to set up some kind of physical switch or button that once engaged blocked Twitter.com or other websites across my Wi-Fi network?

I know that's kind of home networking as well but I figure enough people here probably overlap to know how that sort of thing is done.

I'm just envisioning some type of system where I can flip a literal switch and cut off access to social media etc.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That Works posted:

How difficult would it be to set up some kind of physical switch or button that once engaged blocked Twitter.com or other websites across my Wi-Fi network?

I know that's kind of home networking as well but I figure enough people here probably overlap to know how that sort of thing is done.

I'm just envisioning some type of system where I can flip a literal switch and cut off access to social media etc.

You would need to have something that could do that on your router. Which probably means a PC/pi running something like Home Assistant to trigger it. And then any old zwave or zigbee switch/button.

There's nothing particularly difficult about it, but it requires a whole lot of stuff if you don't already have like....a working home automation setup and a router that can do this. And the home networking part gets increasing difficult depending on exactly how one would implement this in your particular router.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Motronic posted:

You would need to have something that could do that on your router. Which probably means a PC/pi running something like Home Assistant to trigger it. And then any old zwave or zigbee switch/button.

There's nothing particularly difficult about it, but it requires a whole lot of stuff if you don't already have like....a working home automation setup and a router that can do this. And the home networking part gets increasing difficult depending on exactly how one would implement this in your particular router.

Ive got a z-wave hub and it's on my home assistant VM on my NAS physically connected to my router. I would need to figure out how to get home assistant to talk to the router and also how to figure out how to make my router do this, which I guess I could find out pretty easily just on its own and then all I need to do is figure out how to get a switch to run a script to execute that something on the router.

I also have a pi separately running pi hole on the network. I've not looked at selective / transient blocking through pi hole, does anyone know if that is doable just from the DNS side? I can probably move this to the networking thread if no one has a short answer here.

This is just a little bit outside of my experience, but it feels like most of the pieces individually I could probably figure out.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That Works posted:

Ive got a z-wave hub and it's on my home assistant VM on my NAS physically connected to my router. I would need to figure out how to get home assistant to talk to the router and also how to figure out how to make my router do this, which I guess I could find out pretty easily just on its own and then all I need to do is figure out how to get a switch to run a script to execute that something on the router.

I also have a pi separately running pi hole on the network. I've not looked at selective / transient blocking through pi hole, does anyone know if that is doable just from the DNS side? I can probably move this to the networking thread if no one has a short answer here.

This is just a little bit outside of my experience, but it feels like most of the pieces individually I could probably figure out.

So any zwave button that works with HA will work. You need it to trigger two scripts, one to turn on blocking, one to turn off.

The networking part is a bit easier with pihole, but you'll still need to write a script to hit the pi hole API and insert DNS blocking like this: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/JackCuthbert/pihole-twitter/master/pihole-twitter.txt and then another script to take it back out again.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Motronic posted:

So any zwave button that works with HA will work. You need it to trigger two scripts, one to turn on blocking, one to turn off.

The networking part is a bit easier with pihole, but you'll still need to write a script to hit the pi hole API and insert DNS blocking like this: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/JackCuthbert/pihole-twitter/master/pihole-twitter.txt and then another script to take it back out again.

Awesome thanks

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

devmd01 posted:

There are a few other things like water sensors I’d like to have but I’m not planning on going crazy.

yeah I remember saying this to myself too.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

FCKGW posted:

Leviton and Legrand both make plastic Structured Media Center (SMC) enclosures specifically made to allow wireless communications. Some are wall mount and in-wall.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V4TBNZQ/ref=twister_B07YXJBQL4
https://www.amazon.com/Q-ENP3050-NA-Plastic-Media-Enclosure/dp/B08TRLGS1Y/

So I stumbled onto [url=https://smile.amazon.com/Arlington-EB1212-1-Electronic-Equipment-Non-Metallic/dp/B00AAU5D6Q]this Arlington[/ur] box and I think it's basically perfect.

If I get a version without a backplate, the general way this is done is to mount the box on a piece of uni-strut / strut to offset from the wall, and then you just drill into it, right? Thinking about putting a piece of DIN Rail in there + my own PSU.

In either case, also curious what the proper search term for 'battery bracket' (maybe that's it) to nicely hold the little 12 V SLA in place is vs. sitting on the bottom of the cabinet.

movax fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 13, 2021

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

BigFactory posted:

It definitely takes some tinkering to get things running smoothly once you go off the deep end, depending on how sophisticated you want to get with the automation stuff and the various levels of support between the different devices and systems you're using.

devmd01 posted:

I can really, honestly say with a straight face and that I am trying to solve a specific problem here and I doubt that I will go much beyond the 4x outlets and 4x piggyback plugs needed, maybe water sensors in the obvious places to do some alerting.

About the only other possible integrations that won’t happen for a while are with the hvac system and getting a keypad lock for the garage exit door. Anywhere that truly needs motion sensing lights I can just put in a regular motion sensing switch; I don’t want my light switches on any kind of automation. Maybe I’m lacking in imagination but I spent some time looking through what zwave things are available and what scenarios people have created with them and I just don’t care or don’t find them useful to me.

I’m happy to report back in a year that I was wrong, but I doubt I will be. :colbert:

HA is pretty slick though, I had a spare SFF pc to throw it on because my esxi host doesn’t support usb passthru and it took less than 30 mins to install and get the first device connected.

Some of the automations I setup in HA that I really like:
* Automatically turn on the garage & driveway lights when I open the garage door
* Automatically turn on my "garage open indicator light" when the garage door is open, in case I forget to close it and i don't see the alerts on my phone

* Turning on the appropriate set of exterior lights if I unlock the side door at night time
* Turning on the front porch light and entryway light if somebody rings the doorbell
* Controlling the heatpad for our big tortoise that lives outside depending on the outside temperature
* Anything that was on a dumb timer previously (lizard UV light, holiday lights, etc)

Being able to say "turn on the outside lights" or "turn on all the lights" when you hear a weird noise at night you have to go investigate is nice as well

Part of it is being just kind of a fun hobby but it's useful stuff too! Having voice control for so many things is pretty awesome

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
One thing I like about my Hue is having the outside light on and off according to sunset/sunrise instead of forgetting it on or forgetting to turn it on.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

fletcher posted:

* Controlling the heatpad for our big tortoise that lives outside depending on the outside temperature

I am interested in seeing pictures of this tortoise...

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

movax posted:

His name is Lumpy, he's a 15-20 year old African Sulcata. He's about 50 lbs right now, they can get to be 100+ lbs. Definitely going to need a bigger yard for him at some point...

He is pretty hard on the yard and I've had to make some repairs and reinforcements, he's just so drat strong and loves to walk around. One day he blasted through the fence and I had to go knock on the neighbors door to retrieve him. He's a good Lump though so I do what I can do accommodate him. The spikes on his shell are due to improper diet from the previous owner. He mainly eats grass pellets formulated for his species, occasionally he'll get a banana or something as a treat.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
drat, he's huge!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

movax posted:

OP delivers!

Lumpy seems pretty awesome.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Motronic posted:

OP delivers!

Lumpy seems pretty awesome.

Yeah that is a pretty cool tortoise friend. :3:

I’m curious about the neighbor’s reaction… “Hey, uh, Lumpy’s over again, just kinda wandered through the fence. Feeding him a banana.”

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm glad you guys like him :D

movax posted:

Yeah that is a pretty cool tortoise friend. :3:

I’m curious about the neighbor’s reaction… “Hey, uh, Lumpy’s over again, just kinda wandered through the fence. Feeding him a banana.”

They thought it was hilarious and were super cool about it. Their daughter took a bunch of pictures and I answered their questions about Lumpy :)

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Sweet tortoise!

Got overexcited for the pellet stove automation and ordered the same ESP-01S and relay I used for my doorbell (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07FK36G1P), but now I'm thinking this probably isn't what I want and I'm going to need specifically a bistable relay probably, since I don't want it to need power the entire time the circuit is closed.

Once it gets here I'll figure it out if I can do what I want, I guess. Should maybe pop in to the learning electronics thread as well to make sure I don't keep spending money before totally knowing what to get.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
If anyone has a weather station with USB support.. the WeeWX project is a great tool to get the data from your weather station and spit it out to Home Assistant via MQTT.

I have one of those Acurite "5n1" stations. The display has a USB port meant for Acurite's official hub.

Installed WeeWX on a raspberry pi 2b I had laying around. Hooked it up to the Acurite display. The WeeWX installation asks which weather station you have. Add your MQTT info to the WeeWX config file.

The only really laborious part is adding all the resulting MQTT sensors to Home Assistant.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Have been using the Nvidia shield for our main streaming box plus YouTube tv, which is great. However, parents can't grasp the concept when they stay over, so me or the wife end up having to help every time, which sucks.

Any pointers on how I can make or buy a smart remote with maybe one or two buttons and a "channel" surfing button for YouTube tv? Similar to what they are used to at home.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

stevewm posted:

If anyone has a weather station with USB support.. the WeeWX project is a great tool to get the data from your weather station and spit it out to Home Assistant via MQTT.

I have one of those Acurite "5n1" stations. The display has a USB port meant for Acurite's official hub.

Installed WeeWX on a raspberry pi 2b I had laying around. Hooked it up to the Acurite display. The WeeWX installation asks which weather station you have. Add your MQTT info to the WeeWX config file.

The only really laborious part is adding all the resulting MQTT sensors to Home Assistant.

This seems like a much smarter way to go about this rather than my current project, building my own: https://www.pcbway.com/project/gifts_detail/Solar_Powered_WiFi_Weather_Station_V3_0.html

It’s been a fun learning experience especially the 3D printing portion. I’m also attempting to do this with esphome which I haven’t used before. It took 5 minutes to get a basic config written and flashed onto the ESP32.

I don’t think I’ll be trying full assembly for a few weeks as I slowly print the thing and wait for the rest of the components to arrive.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I've got a Z-wave hub and some scattered Alexa devices in the home I just bought, and was wondering if anybody has a favorite brand or model of smart-home enabled light switches that work well with those kinds of systems?

I see a lot of single-switch options and some hilariously expensive two-or-three switch systems with touch screens and dimming touch sliders for lights, but I'd like to find some two and three switch options for the common rooms and the switches near the exterior doors (that control things like the outdoor lights as well as the one indoor light near each entrance) that aren't several hundred dollars. This weird jump in suggestions on Amazon may just be a spectacularly hosed up search algorithm for things on Prime that deliver to my area, too.

Also none of my local Home Depots or Lowes have any of the Kwikset locks in stock that would be Z-wave compatible for the whole "walk up to the door with the app on the phone and have the deadbolt automatically unlock for me" feature. I think they're 888's? Or is there another model number (or manufacturer) I've overlooked entirely that does what I want but doesn't specifically list the Z-wave feature on the box?

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 16, 2021

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Just get multiple single zwave switches? I mean unless you have something other than standard n-gang switch boxes, you just use one switch per circuit.

E: I’m partial to Innovelli’s switches personally.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeesh, it's going to be cheaper for me to buy Zigbee temp sensors and a Zigbee stick than buying Z-Wave temp sensors. I guess because Z-Wave has certification?

I want to stick with Z-Wave because I have it already and don't want to over-complicate things, but also money.

odiv fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 16, 2021

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Kalman posted:

Just get multiple single zwave switches? I mean unless you have something other than standard n-gang switch boxes, you just use one switch per circuit.

E: I’m partial to Innovelli’s switches personally.

So.. I cover the switches with a "normal" cover plate?

Most of the single Z-wave switches I find look like this:

And use the screws from the original cover plate to mount the switch (and the cover is a piece that clips on over the switch to hide the screw head).

That's the offerings on Amazon though. They don't seem to have many listings for Inovelli, I'll look for their direct site and price them there.

EDIT: Inovelli's pricing them at $25 & up for a single switch. That's better, but it'd be nice to find a 3-switch pack with a single cover that isn't something hilariously overdone like this thing.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 16, 2021

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

biracial bear for uncut posted:

So.. I cover the switches with a "normal" cover plate?

Most of the single Z-wave switches I find look like this:

And use the screws from the original cover plate to mount the switch (and the cover is a piece that clips on over the switch to hide the screw head).

That's the offerings on Amazon though. They don't seem to have many listings for Innovelli, I'll look for their direct site and price them there.

Yeah, you just put them in in place of the existing switches then cover them with whatever kind of plate you need for your given setup. You can even mix and match toggle and Decora switches if you want, they make cover plates for that kind of setup, just check out your local hardware store and/or Home Depot. ZWave switches are generally deeper than ordinary toggles though, so make sure you have enough space in the switch box, and check if you have neutrals, it can change which switches will work/how you wire.

Most switches that include a cover plate do so because they assume you're replacing a toggle switch rather than a Decora and they're throwing in the 10 cent piece of plastic, not because they're an actual part of the switch.

(Also, I misspelled, it's Inovelli - one n, not two.)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

odiv posted:

Yeesh, it's going to be cheaper for me to buy Zigbee temp sensors and a Zigbee stick than buying Z-Wave temp sensors. I guess because Z-Wave has certification?

I want to stick with Z-Wave because I have it already and don't want to over-complicate things, but also money.

This was recommended up thread somewhere. You can run Zigbee and Z-wave off of the same hub. It was very easy to set up for both and once set up just add the hardware through it's relevant integration in HA and it all fits together well once paired.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GJ826F8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

e: I am using a mix of z-wave and zigbee based on price / availability for stuff. Mostly Z-wave switches and Zigbee sensors and plugs.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, at the time I was ready to buy I couldn't get that stick for under 120CAD with shipping, so I said gently caress it and got a Z-wave one since all I had for devices was Z-wave.

Ah well, now I guess I'll buy a Zigbee stick and some $20 sensors.

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014
Any recommendations for the best smart lock product right now? I want a pin pad that randomizes and has pretty good security. Also ao.ething I can use a mey on ideally if the battery dies or something

Also any input on ubiquiti doorbells/cameras? I kind of want a Unifi home network so it seems logical.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I have a bunch of Unifi cameras which are really good, but they're also my first camera setup. The unifi ecosystem is silly sometimes, but it has done everything I want.

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014

Gyshall posted:

I have a bunch of Unifi cameras which are really good, but they're also my first camera setup. The unifi ecosystem is silly sometimes, but it has done everything I want.

Sweet, thanks. I have a Brocade switch in a homelabish environment rn but it's just so drat loud, and our new place just doesn't have a good place for a loud rear end rack. I really haven't had luck configuring it, either. Plus our Unifi AP has been great. I like that the Unifi stuff stays local.

Now to get to reading this thread about some smart home ideas. I can't wait to get a proper network setup going with some automation sprinkled in.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

WobblySausage posted:

Sweet, thanks. I have a Brocade switch in a homelabish environment rn but it's just so drat loud, and our new place just doesn't have a good place for a loud rear end rack. I really haven't had luck configuring it, either. Plus our Unifi AP has been great. I like that the Unifi stuff stays local.

Now to get to reading this thread about some smart home ideas. I can't wait to get a proper network setup going with some automation sprinkled in.

I bought a Brocade 7150-c12p after readings that servethehome thread and I'm smitten. the low port count sucks, but 2x 10G plus 12poe in a fanless enclosure is great.

configuration did have hiccups for me too though, lots of little weird edge issues like SSH supporting keys but only under specific conditions, some VLAN mysteries that took awhile to solve, etc

otherwise, very Cisco-like so it was very approachable

*some, though not all, of those Brocades can take fan mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

How much did you pay for that switch? It's a neat box, but I can't really handle the price point for home use.