Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Mirificus posted:

quote:

The 64 bit floating point is actually 1,600,000,000,000,000 sq km which converts to 617,763,453,667,920 sq. mi.

Source: math. 2 to the 64th power.

after reading this i think i now know how having a stroke must feel like. this is not how floating point works. this is not how any of it works. what the gently caress :psyduck:

i've actually had to go and check how much 264 is, just to make sure i'm not loving losing it. it's definitely not 1,600,000,000,000,000. thank god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

nurmie posted:

after reading this i think i now know how having a stroke must feel like. this is not how floating point works. this is not how any of it works. what the gently caress :psyduck:

i've actually had to go and check how much 264 is, just to make sure i'm not loving losing it. it's definitely not 1,600,000,000,000,000. thank god

It's like one of those old maths game shows.

“Using the numbers 2, 64, maybe something else who knows, calculate the value 1.6×1015 (or possibly 40 million) ± arbitrary orders of magnitude.” :haw:

The numerology powers of citizens is unparalleled.

Oh, and it's also fun to note that, in spite of those powers, their sense of scale is… lacking. A square, 40 million km to the side, doesn't even cover one quadrant of the orbit of Mercury. In space terms, it's absolutely tiny. So even as a bragging number, it is far too small to be bragged about. Kind of the same as CI¬G's own fumbled “400 quadrillion kilometre” claim, which, aside from suggesting that their “space” is one-dimensional, is a distance that I can trivially measure within my modest bathroom. They later clarified that they meant cubic kilometres, which doesn't really improve things: at 1 million × 1 million km² × 400km high, their massive universe clocks in at slightly larger than the Earth-Moon system. That's still pretty much bathroom-scaled on an astronomical level.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 13, 2021

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Its all amusing though as none of it is real. I can take a piece of paper, put 2 X's on it, draw a line between them and write '400 billion billion miles' and it would be just as 'real' as whatever is in those games.

I think they have lost their marbles. Its a game.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Steam > Mass Effect™ Legendary Edition > General Discussions > Should EA/Bioware, partner with CiG, to create Mass Affect Online? posted:

Star Citizen has a lot of great technology that could make MEO a possibility. "Real" planets you can explore. Ships you can walk around inside, that are functional...and do space walks around.

ArcCorp shows that the Citadel could be easily made...something truly functional, with the ability to visit different areas of the Wards, etc..

The question is, would Chris Roberts be interested? I think he would. He has a big expensive space sim engine that he can likely license out...because it's not CryEngine anymore. They have changed so much about it, it's not StarEngine...I believe is the name of it. I don't doubt that he would be interested, so long as not everything was duplicated....or the price was right. I say this, because he and the Elite Dangerous guy were helping each other in the beginning. So something like this, can't just be ruled out as, "No he would have no incentive to do so. It would compete with his game. So no." People said the same thing about Elite and Star Citizen, and yet they still cooperated, and gave answers as to why, in an interview. First, they didn't think competition was bad, and second they didn't think people would only play one or the other. Third, they made careers of going against conventional wisdom, and winning.

With no intention at all, of putting Star Citizen on consoles, I could seriously see Chris Roberts seeing value in a slightly lesser version of Star Citizen, being available on all platforms, under the Mass Effect banner...especially if it's making him more wealthy.

I will note that it would require a new thinking at Bioware when it comes to ships. The interior would have to exist at the same time as the exterior, and both work together. No elevators putting you outside the ship, if they were located where they are located...cough...SR2...cough.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/RymEMF5.mp4

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

True believers really are the funniest

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

More “not fake, but not really gameplay” fun here I presume

https://twitter.com/ATMOesports/status/1425885248060076035

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

smellmycheese posted:

More “not fake, but not really gameplay” fun here I presume

https://twitter.com/ATMOesports/status/1425885248060076035

On the subject of "not fake, but not really gameplay"...

My buddy and I fired up the game today for the first time since buying lovely starter ships 7 years ago. Picked one of three contracts available to us so we could take our ships out and earn some space bucks. Turns out the "starter" mission is from criminals so you become a criminal just by shooting at the mission objectives.

Got arrested and sent to video game space prison. It's amazing to me that this game is in the state it's in but CIG decided to spend time on Space Prison. Space Prison even had a quasi-intro cinematic. My buddy fell off a platform in Space Prison and died and go an hour added to his sentence.

It's just incredible that this dumpster fire game even exists. Any other game would entice the new player with a gameplay loop that promises to deliver rewards for the players activity, the possibility of getting cool new ships, and then ease the new player into that gameplay loop.

Edit: Did a little research and it turns out the contract was bugged :bravo:

Penitent fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 13, 2021

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Penitent posted:

I'm still amazed that if you don't take off from the hangar fast enough in your video game space ship... the port authority calls and tells you to get the gently caress out of your ship and they are putting it back in storage. So if you're new and trying to figure out which buttons to press in their war crime of a UI to start your video game space ship... if you take too long you get told to get the gently caress out. It's an incredible design choice.

Also... you have to do an insurance claim to get it back and that takes 7 minutes for some reason... or you can pay space bucks to "expedite" and then it only takes 2 minutes before you can try to play your video game space ship again.

Also the point were you load up your ship is like 5 mins sprint to were it spawns and you have to no which pad to go to or you may never even find it in time.

This painful system was to avoid the pop in breaking immersion, yet you can still see pop in galore as you aimlessly wander the landing pads looking for your own ship, or pop out when you find it at the last moment. You see it in bulk spending any time near a landing pad.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

If CIG attempted to make a door more secure they would knock a whole in the wall next to the door take the bricks and spend 2 years developing a special glue that would allow bricks to be stuck to the door and make it harder to break into.

The end result is half the bricks fall of and end up glued to the floor, the door cant shut and every one now uses the unsecured hole the wall instead of the door. CIG would say they nailed making a tough door as its to much effort to demolish. If anyone complains it's only T0 security.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

AutismVaccine posted:

the best story was the idea to use bits with 8 states instead of being 0/1. Just mindboggling

Derek Smart alt spotted.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

I love dream of reselling some one else software because I licensed it stopped updating it and made some changes to it.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

They are refactoring scene 6b- t501 frame 3/7733889219 even though the scene has yet to be filmed

Rumours are that they having trouble with the can opener NOT clipping into the can.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Penitent posted:

I'm still amazed that if you don't take off from the hangar fast enough in your video game space ship... the port authority calls and tells you to get the gently caress out of your ship and they are putting it back in storage. So if you're new and trying to figure out which buttons to press in their war crime of a UI to start your video game space ship... if you take too long you get told to get the gently caress out. It's an incredible design choice.

Also... you have to do an insurance claim to get it back and that takes 7 minutes for some reason... or you can pay space bucks to "expedite" and then it only takes 2 minutes before you can try to play your video game space ship again.
:lol: In ED, stations guns will blow you up for pad loitering, but at least it has tutorial and you can rebuy your ship instantly. It still amazes me that despite all the stupid choices in ED and all the grind, it still seems reasonable compared to SC.

Penitent posted:

What's the story with the mess hall/Sandi?
CR's magnum opus is a mess hall scene where every bean is fidelitously simulated and every bite is mocapped. It's part of his vision. And it appears in SQ42 updates since forever, it seems they have sunk endless hours and ton of finances into this one scene because CR wants it perfect, although I doubt anyone cares of will care if the game ever comes out.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

The Titanic posted:

Oh shoot that reminds me we haven't had an update on the mess hall scene lately. :ohdear:

How is that mess hall scene coming along?

Didn't Chris jet over to jolly olde Englande recently? The pace of mess hall scene development is really going to pick up now, what with Chris Roberts himself within yelling distance of the poor kids assigned to work on Squadron 404.

Some of them might have considered asking silly questions like "Why do the NPCs need to 'decide' anything in the mess hall? Isn't this just a cutscene? Who gives a poo poo about this?" or "Why is this scene so fuckin' long, and also so terribly written?" and "Can anyone here help me with my resume and a cover letter?", but with Chris there to shriek "JUST GET IT DONE," they'll shut up and just get it done, and finally make this hacked-together CryEngine simulate exciting cafeteria action without any cheating.

Unless Chris gets delayed looking for a good vitamin supplier in the UK, I guess.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Penitent posted:

hosed up if true.

It's not true, You are a dirty goon fudster, Star Citizen has VERY few bugs.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

:reddit: posted:

Someone didn't actually do any research on the ED game map....

Just over 6 figures (150k) of the ED map are based on a real astronomical observation database circa 4-5 years ago, and like real astronomical databases the idea of being accurate to 'the inch' is laughable. I'll grant you some hyperbole here but it just sounds like you don't know what ED actually did. Of those 150k they are roughly positioned correctly around the milky way with some realistic composition if the database has planetary info for the system (not many do). So for the most part you've got 150k places where you know roughly where they were (remember, they move), star sequence type, system ID ... and that's about it. Literally a few megabytes of 'real' data. While ED does have planetary orbits the star systems themselves don't move- they are fixed to the database location they were sourced from (or where the RNG places them). Meaning not only are their locations not accurate to the inch, they aren't accurate to within millions of miles anymore for the ones that were sourced on reality.

The remaining 299.99985 billion systems that are theoretically in ED are basically on par with having generated a specific No Mans Sky seed - make poo poo up with seeded procgen RNG as needed. They try to stay within some of the astrophysics rules of thumb (green band and such).

... which btw is actually a bit less than how the places in SC were designed. SC didn't care that their solar system names/locations were made up - with wormholes they can be anywhere in the universe - but they did have an astrophysicist (UCLA) consult for a while to actually curate the population of each of those solar systems so that the design (planetary counts, locations, macrobiomes, moons, etc) of these curated locations are consistent with astrophysics. Then from there actual human designers basically procgen roll the planets until they get stuff that makes sense within the planets design brief.

Somehow static downsized planets with crap like low-gravity mini-gas-giant with breathable atmosphere are supposed to be more realistic than ED's galaxy

Edit: I mistakenly wrote gas-giants as if there was more than one

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 13, 2021

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Dwesa posted:

Somehow static downsized planets with crap like low-gravity mini-gas-giant with breathable atmosphere are supposed to be more realistic than ED's galaxy

Edit: I mistakenly wrote gas-giants as if there was more than one

Well just think about this
300 billion actual stars divided by 150k real stars gives a pathetic ratio.

But with Star Citizen you divide 300 billion with zero and the result is so amazing that it cannot be even calculated!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
ED has billions of planets? Well SC is going to have trillions of planets, and will meticulously simulate billions of years of geology and organic evolution for every single planet, so one day you'll be able to land on a rocky world and excavate real alien dinosaur bones! And then you'll be able to host a xenopaleology conference and invite other alien dinosaur experts to give talks on their findings! And maybe your findings will be published in the journal of astro xeno biology which is an in-game newspaper run by players! You'll even get interviewed on space TV!!

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 13, 2021

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

communism bitch posted:

ED has billions of planets? Well SC is going to have trillions of planets, and will meticulously simulate billions of years of geology and organic evolution for every single planet, so one day you'll be able to land on a rocky world and excavate real alien dinosaur bones! And then you'll be able to host a xenopaleography conference and invite other alien dinosaur experts to give talks on their findings! And maybe your findings will be published in the journal of astro xeno biology which is an in-game newspaper run by players! You'll even get interviewed on space TV!!

Note: Dino bones will currently spawn inside ships and players rather than in the ground, space TV is still awaiting the release of the space TV spaceship and the journals are not and will never be peer reviewed

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lammasu posted:

Anyone heard of the first David Cage game Omikcron The Nomad Soul? It had a bunch of different mechanics like adventure puzzle solving, first person shooting and 2d fighting game stuff. It's a mess and is the most imfamouse game they ever played on Super Best Friends.

I was looking forward to that way back in the day because I played the demo and it seemed super tight and unique.

Little did I know that basically only the demo had this kind of functionality. Everything after it was basically on rails with little to no ways to do things differently and it climbed aboard the crazy train pretty quickly while trying to be The Matrix vs Voodoo space bugs.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Penitent posted:

On the subject of "not fake, but not really gameplay"...

My buddy and I fired up the game today for the first time since buying lovely starter ships 7 years ago. Picked one of three contracts available to us so we could take our ships out and earn some space bucks. Turns out the "starter" mission is from criminals so you become a criminal just by shooting at the mission objectives.

Got arrested and sent to video game space prison. It's amazing to me that this game is in the state it's in but CIG decided to spend time on Space Prison. Space Prison even had a quasi-intro cinematic. My buddy fell off a platform in Space Prison and died and go an hour added to his sentence.

It's just incredible that this dumpster fire game even exists. Any other game would entice the new player with a gameplay loop that promises to deliver rewards for the players activity, the possibility of getting cool new ships, and then ease the new player into that gameplay loop.

Just wait until CR brings you his vision for permanent medical trauma and the slow/fast disablement of player avatars until your character is permanently dead with ground breaking "medical gameplay".

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I unironically loved Omikron, which I got on the Dreamcast (double owned lol).
It was so loving weird and wonderful. Like the entire conceit of the game was that you - the player - were being contacted through your TV and asked to help save their world by possessing people through the game console, and in theory you could just go around possessing different people with different abilities to get through different obstacles (but in practice you only ever used like one or two hosts through the entire game) and then there were evil bug people and poo poo. But you could go to David Bowie concerts! And learn ancient magic! And use your VR training suite in your apartment to practice ancient martial arts! And join illegal gladiator fighting rings! You could just go browse a bookshop and buy dozens (hundreds?) of books about the world, most of which only served to flesh out the lore. You could just spend a few hours being a fantasy/cyberpunk cop out on the beat, stopping holdups at liquor stores or whatever, or go shopping for random poo poo.

Honestly, Omikron was loving wild, like some messed up fever dream or a really bad trip. I'm sure it's aged terribly, but it's dirt cheap on Steam these days and if you have a tolerance for the jankiest of eurojank it is absolutely worth experiencing. I say "experiencing" and not "playing" because it's probably night unplayable, as the actual gameplay is a mish-mash of 3d "open world" adventure, Tekken 1 style fighting (but infinitely more primitive), and random first person shooter sections all with a thin veneer of rpg mechanics over the top. terrible loving gameplay. Really fascinating concept.

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 13, 2021

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Dwesa posted:

While ED does have planetary orbits the star systems themselves don't move- they are fixed to the database location they were sourced from (or where the RNG places them). Meaning not only are their locations not accurate to the inch, they aren't accurate to within millions of miles anymore for the ones that were sourced on reality.

Elite is a shite game but they absolutely nail the galaxy thing. The speed a star moves is typically about 0.1 arc second per year. This is almost imperceptible, but over the course of 2000 years, for example, a typical star would have moved across the sky by about half a degree, or the width of the Moon in the sky. In other words there is no loving point in modelling star systems motion in a game that at most is going to live a few more years.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

In case of Star Citizen the actual game part might not even be done by then!

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

MedicineHut posted:

Elite is a shite game but they absolutely nail the galaxy thing. The speed a star moves is typically about 0.1 arc second per year. This is almost imperceptible, but over the course of 2000 years, for example, a typical star would have moved across the sky by about half a degree, or the width of the Moon in the sky. In other words there is no loving point in modelling star systems motion in a game that at most is going to live a few more years.

Was talking to an IRL friend of mine who is big into ED, and they are studiously trying to ignore that ED has been released for long enough now that it is hitting end of life, which saddens them. Unfortunately in the same conversation they started telling me how they thought SC "looks amazing" (SC was reintroduced to them via the whole ex-Odyssey streamer thing) and I am now worried they are going to buy in, despite me having told them for years how it's a dumpster fire made of incompetence and dreams.txt

Not gonna :sever: because I believe they are worth saving, but what's the thread opinion on how heavy to rip the piss out of them if they do buy in? Have known this person 20+ years so comfortable being brutally honest with them

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

NumptyScrub posted:

Was talking to an IRL friend of mine who is big into ED, and they are studiously trying to ignore that ED has been released for long enough now that it is hitting end of life, which saddens them. Unfortunately in the same conversation they started telling me how they thought SC "looks amazing" (SC was reintroduced to them via the whole ex-Odyssey streamer thing) and I am now worried they are going to buy in, despite me having told them for years how it's a dumpster fire made of incompetence and dreams.txt

Not gonna :sever: because I believe they are worth saving, but what's the thread opinion on how heavy to rip the piss out of them if they do buy in? Have known this person 20+ years so comfortable being brutally honest with them

Point and laugh while projecting an endless stream of bug videos onto the wall behind you.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

NumptyScrub posted:

Just heavily encourage they try and play it in one of the free events if they still are doing those. The rest will take care of itself

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

communism bitch posted:

ED has billions of planets? Well SC is going to have trillions of planets, and will meticulously simulate billions of years of geology and organic evolution for every single planet, so one day you'll be able to land on a rocky world and excavate real alien dinosaur bones! And then you'll be able to host a xenopaleology conference and invite other alien dinosaur experts to give talks on their findings! And maybe your findings will be published in the journal of astro xeno biology which is an in-game newspaper run by players! You'll even get interviewed on space TV!!

I don't see how any of that helps me get an Idris.

But xeno biology pays well you say. But does it pay better than pretending to be BettyBigTits?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

NumptyScrub posted:

It's important for people who are used to get what they paid for to get grifted occasionally (as long as it only stings), helps the immune system.

No need to piss on them, just tell them truth: It's not a game but a fund raising campaign masquerading as one. If they buy the game then welp, you'll have something to talk about in a few years.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

NumptyScrub posted:

At this point I've helped a couple IRL friends get their money out of SC and tbh they'll either get it or they won't, but some gentle mockery any time they bring it up doesn't hurt.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

NumptyScrub posted:

Just let em do it, it'll be a good lesson

Or maybe they'll be one of those weirdos who gets completely obsessed with it despite everything. Either way it'll be funny

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I mean Star Citizen sucks and people who buy it are dumb but I don't think it's really grounds to drive a decades-old friendship into the ground

That said, load up the buggiest compilations and start forwarding links just to be safe

DaysBefore fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 13, 2021

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Trilobite posted:

Didn't Chris jet over to jolly olde Englande recently? The pace of mess hall scene development is really going to pick up now, what with Chris Roberts himself within yelling distance of the poor kids assigned to work on Squadron 404.

Some of them might have considered asking silly questions like "Why do the NPCs need to 'decide' anything in the mess hall? Isn't this just a cutscene? Who gives a poo poo about this?" or "Why is this scene so fuckin' long, and also so terribly written?" and "Can anyone here help me with my resume and a cover letter?", but with Chris there to shriek "JUST GET IT DONE," they'll shut up and just get it done, and finally make this hacked-together CryEngine simulate exciting cafeteria action without any cheating.

Unless Chris gets delayed looking for a good vitamin supplier in the UK, I guess.

Is it hard to get cocaine in Great Britain? I'm clueless about such things in America, never mind overseas.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lammasu posted:

Is it hard to get cocaine in

:laffo:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Lammasu posted:

Is it hard to get cocaine in Great Britain? I'm clueless about such things in America, never mind overseas.

No not really. But maybe a little harder than in the US since we have a massive land border connecting us to the countries where it is manufactured. But I am fairly sure you could literally just go online and find someone to sell you coke in any reasonably sized British city.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, if you're a wageslave plebescrub or could get pretty tricky to score cocaine in certain Asian countries but once you cross the line into wealthy then it becomes trivial.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I think I confused my crazy games together earlier, not that anybody cares.

I was thinking Indigo Prophecy or whatever it was where you were Matrix vs voodoo bugs.

Omikron was cooler-ish because of the cast and how it just wrecked the 4th wall as a game mechanic. Though I seem to recall that after you killed/saved the first character you body control, the game basically broke down story wise. Any future characters you took over had no story or life outside of being able to visit their apartment.

I don't think I ever beat Omikron either because it was just slightly not fun. I liked the fighting game part but not so much the FPS battles, so I think I just stopped somewhere around some windy or ice prison level or something.

Anyhow enjoy. Both of the games above are still better and more cinematic, fun, and well thought out than Star Citizen. :shrug:

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

NumptyScrub posted:

You know as well as we do that the correct thing to do is to encourage them to buy an Idris and keep mining them for thread content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.random
May 7, 2007

If you Sign Up first, you can get them as a referral! And then you’ll be on your way to Legatus before you know it!