Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL
higurashi gou to the polls!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Gripweed posted:

Im gonna start watching JoJo again for Jolyne's VA

I believe she also voiced Sakura Hibiki which was about cute girls working out to get swole and jacked.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

doomrider7 posted:

I believe she also voiced Sakura Hibiki which was about cute girls working out to get swole and jacked.

It's a good show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaMLp5FbIrY

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

elaboration has issued a correction as of 14:45 on Nov 30, 2023

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

ai fairouz's entire story is so cute. she was a well known joylene cosplayer & did fandubbing for her in high school, even

on the event they streamed the other day you can tell she is the Truest Fan and its insanely cute

Life Goals Achieved.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/AcanthisPerch/status/1425843889160794113?s=20

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
...the last eva rebuild movie comes out today

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Getting in before all the contrarians to say that the last eva movie loving owned. worth the 9 year wait. I enjoyed pretty much every second of it.

Something I kept thinking about is the similarities between eva and twin peaks (bizzarre I know). Extremely odd original show that nonetheless becomes extremely popular. After an odd ending an infamously impenetrable movie comes out which creates as many questions as answers. 25 years later the author returns to their work and does it again, even with decades in between.

I mean I'm definately biased, I've loved eva since I first watched it as a teenager and now I'm grown up and married. It's a weird weird feeling. I was pretty emotional throughout.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mirello posted:

Getting in before all the contrarians to say that the last eva movie loving owned. worth the 9 year wait. I enjoyed pretty much every second of it.

Something I kept thinking about is the similarities between eva and twin peaks (bizzarre I know). Extremely odd original show that nonetheless becomes extremely popular. After an odd ending an infamously impenetrable movie comes out which creates as many questions as answers. 25 years later the author returns to their work and does it again, even with decades in between.

I mean I'm definately biased, I've loved eva since I first watched it as a teenager and now I'm grown up and married. It's a weird weird feeling. I was pretty emotional throughout.

So, am I going to be spending the next five years having to look up what the gently caress happened just like I did for End of Eva?

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

HootTheOwl posted:

So, am I going to be spending the next five years having to look up what the gently caress happened just like I did for End of Eva?

I mean I felt like it was pretty clear, but I'm also a freak that loves watching video essays on youtube so maybe.

I've always been of the opinion that in eva none of the specifics of whats going on are really important, its more so the themes and emotions and relationships between characters. In that way it's pretty simple.

Mirello has issued a correction as of 14:17 on Aug 13, 2021

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i'm 30 mins in and cool shinji is still a whiny bitch

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
this eva-01 vs eva-13 fight is goofy as hell

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mirello posted:

I mean I felt like it was pretty clear, but I'm also a freak that loves watching video essays on youtube so maybe.

I've always been of the opinion that in eva none of the specifics of whats going on are really important, its more so the themes and emotions and relationships between characters. In that way it's pretty simple.

As a depressed teen Eva really spoke to me for reasons I couldn't articulate until I watched a bunch of video essays on what the gently caress was going on.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
yeah gently caress off gendo

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

rebuild movies are dogshit but i'll watch the new one

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
okay end thoughts, it was nice that most characters had a nice send off and the animation was top notch (except for a few bits).

also, man, asuka always kicks rear end only to get owned at the last minute

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

crepeface posted:

okay end thoughts, it was nice that most characters had a nice send off and the animation was top notch (except for a few bits).

also, man, asuka always kicks rear end only to get owned at the last minute

Hey, she did pretty good in 3.0. Going berserk, ripping the enemy apart, and rescuing and redeeming the enemy pilot is basically mecha protagonist final exam material.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
she should be the protag

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

crepeface posted:

she should be the protag

She is. Or would be in another show. Genderswapped Eva is every other super robot show. Asuka is the manly, badass, hot blooded protagonist who needs to learn to care about other people. Rei is the cold, emotionless ace pilot with a mysterious past. Shinji is the soft, wilting heroine who supports the protagonist and needs to get saved constantly

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Stay out of the loving robot, Shinji

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I’m watching the new Eva with the lads tonight

then I might burn a weekend watching the other rebuilds because it’s been so long

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

crepeface posted:

this eva-01 vs eva-13 fight is goofy as hell

I liked that it basically spelled out that the show was always about conflict between the characters and not the robot fights. Having them fight with incredibly lovely CGI that is reveled to be a set and then fight in various domestic locations from the show was a bit on the nose but I still liked it. and then recreating abridged versions of the last 2 eps of eva but for Gendo was great. definitely the sort of meta I like.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Anno said “go touch grass” to the audience. good message. I’m satisfied with this last rebuild movie

I’m vaguely curious about the production order of parts; there were like 3 or 4 title cards in there that all had distinct feels to them. I’m in no rush to go rewatch, though.

that part in Paris was entirely inconsequential, same with most of the fights tbh

I feel like the use of 3D CG in this was very purposeful when you think of it as a complement to End of Evangelion

Also, the stuff about Asuka being part of a series / a clone
and then Kaworu having a whole circle of moon coffins …
this is supposed to be about breaking a cycle of eternal recurrence / on a more meta level, ending escapism, right?

anyways this had the best Rei portrayal I think

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

wolfs posted:

Anno said “go touch grass” to the audience. good message. I’m satisfied with this last rebuild movie

I’m vaguely curious about the production order of parts; there were like 3 or 4 title cards in there that all had distinct feels to them. I’m in no rush to go rewatch, though.

that part in Paris was entirely inconsequential, same with most of the fights tbh

I feel like the use of 3D CG in this was very purposeful when you think of it as a complement to End of Evangelion

Also, the stuff about Asuka being part of a series / a clone
and then Kaworu having a whole circle of moon coffins …
this is supposed to be about breaking a cycle of eternal recurrence / on a more meta level, ending escapism, right?

anyways this had the best Rei portrayal I think

yeah the 3d comes through by the end when its used to portray an uncanny world and action, when it's time to split an eva in two it's back to 2d.
I appreciate the movie as Anno basically distancing himself from the franchise and shutting down operations, literally since they shut down the studio when Shinji is talking to everyone in that fourth dimension deal

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

i rewatched all the rebuilds and the new one over the last two days.

boomer me: "these fights are dogshit, i can't tell what's going on half the time. back in my day :argh:"
I liked how the end gave gendo way more and that tying into themes in the end.

wolfs posted:

i feel the same way about this too

as a whole I'm not really into the rebuilds. the changes to asuka being a clone series, not having enough time to go over Ritsuko/her mother/magi. Kaji's who intrigue gets mostly left out, and he was answer to Kawrou the entire time??????? too much of a last minute twist for me

loling thinking about cumtown doing a bit about Cool Shinji. I do like the whole mad-max welding random tech together for WILLE and the vulgar slapped together mass produced NERV poo poo in a post-apocalypse.

at the end of day, I think these rebuilds were unnecessary but I appreciate a lot of the ideas mashed into this remake that feels like a bit of an incoherent mess

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Gundam 0083 is good

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Southpaugh posted:

rebuild movies are dogshit but i'll watch the new one

I don't know how anyone isn't completely satisfied with the story told in the TV show and EoE.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
People just love Thing but more of it

See: every terrible fantasy Isekai

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Good soup! posted:

Gundam 0083 is good

I. DONT. NEED.

0083 kinda sucked but manga is pretty good. Cima and Kelly go from people who suck in the Anime to decent characters in the manga.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I forget if it is this thread, Twitter, or some discord thing where I saw they’re called Rebuilds because they occur after EoE on a long enough timeline - that Evangelion, End, and the numbered films are the same canon and this is the end of the loop.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

8th MS Team is much better

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Funimation pls redub and finish fist of the north star so more people discover it, ty

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Good soup! posted:

8th MS Team is much better
Correct.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'm a bit surprised those HNK films they did in the 2000s that retell certain parts of the manga and add in side story stuff never made it to the north america, gently caress they went through the trouble of bringing over New Fist of the North Star, a bunch of decently budgeted movies seems like a slam dunk

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

War in the Pocket is the best and also most leftist Gundam, quickly followed by Hathaway

also whoever said chars counterattack is good needs their head examined, that movie is an absolute mess.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

a cyberpunk goose posted:

War in the Pocket is the best and also most leftist Gundam, quickly followed by Hathaway

also whoever said chars counterattack is good needs their head examined, that movie is an absolute mess.

Well Hideaki Anno and Mamoru Oshii both loved it and think it's one of the best anime movies.

Which doesn't exactly contradict you!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

a cyberpunk goose posted:

It is a mess that is essential viewing for a number of other, better UC series that are set afterward

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

No? F91 and victory might as well be au and unicorn isn't that good

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the world's biggest (only?) narrative fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the world's biggest (only?) narrative fan