Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Theoretically, is there anyway an an anonymous employee survey (filled out on company computers connected to the company network) could ever actually be anonymous?

It's always a trap. Always. Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It can be if someone is trying real hard. But nobody will get paid to do that.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Roumba posted:

Theoretically, is there anyway an an anonymous employee survey (filled out on company computers connected to the company network) could ever actually be anonymous?

I want to say no, but if a manager or an HR person or a c-level is going after someone in the company because of an answer in a survey then this person is already boned regardless, so odds is that it's not a trap for most people.

Edit: I meant the other word

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 12, 2021

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Naughty children go in the egg! Naughty children go in the egg!

:stare:

Did you work in The Village?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm not a religious man but I'm going to start thanking the lord everyday that I don't work at 'the egg place'.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Roumba posted:

Not necessarily. I did these every once in a while when I worked C-Suite and they were legitimately about gathering information about broad trends so you don't fall into the trap of just listening to the small cohort of staff that whine the most. Always assume people are lazy, and creating a trap survey is a whole lot of work to just randomly fish for staff to say something that would get them in trouble.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Imagined posted:

If you were hiring people for your own business, would you look for people with the skills you needed, and then hoped their personality matched with the existing team, or would you first look for people who fit the vibe and then expect to train them on any skills they lacked? (I realize the ideal answer is "both" but that's looking for unicorns)

Personally, I would tend to lean more heavily toward the latter, but I work for the kind of organization that is legally mandated to do the former and document how they did so.

On the upside, that does mean that my workplace has by far the most diverse workforce of any place I've ever worked. There are more women than men at every level, more people of color as a percentage than the local population, and a huge range of ages, political opinions, physical abilities, personalities, and... not to put too fine a point on it, but any time I see a really attractive person in the building, I look for a visitor badge. We're a motley crew. Edit: and in case it isn't clear, I think that's a good thing!

However, on the downside, you end up with employees working together who wouldn't even talk to each other in real life, much less be friends, and you end up with people with highly valuable skills but "interesting" personalities who are just stuck in there like ticks because they can't be fired as long as they do their job and refrain from doing anything so bad it would probably be illegal, but who otherwise make everyone who interacts with them miserable, including customers.

I often think it would be nice if our interviews could have a "personality" score at the end as well as how well someone answered the pre-approved technical questions, but I realize that that would allow fudge space for all the -isms to creep in, including nepotism, and hell, we ugly, prickly and old people need jobs too.

There already is a personality score its just not listed on paper or ever going to be reported. Part of the interview is discovering if the candidate can mesh with the department. For example finding out that your interviewee is someone that's going "well actually..." everything is a solid failure for personality score.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Joose & arm reduction were real
Zip line death machine was real
Texarrakis was real
Sawn structural beams were real
Lost fingat was real
Gooncamp was real
The egg place is real
Bug world is real
The majority of absolutely batshit goon stories are real

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Hotdog man and bee fire man were also real.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
If I ever find myself in the egg place I'll be fine, because I know the secret power of egg and will embrace it

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Joose & arm reduction were real
Zip line death machine was real
Texarrakis was real
Sawn structural beams were real
Lost fingat was real
Gooncamp was real
The egg place is real
Bug world is real
The majority of absolutely batshit goon stories are real

What about fecal lasagna?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
That guy went nuts and had been stealing goon posts and photo shops to sell t-shirts or some poo poo, so I must assume it was real and was the nucleation point for insanity

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Zil posted:

What about fecal lasagna?

I want to believe in it.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Volmarias posted:

Hire on intelligence, screen for personalities so awful they can't even hide them for an interview round.

I've found the ultimate question for hiring software developers: "What do you think of Elon Musk?"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

zedprime posted:

I don't want to have 2 beers with colleagues or leave them with my car or dog out of principal. I also don't want to work with most of my friends. Occupational and social harmony are at cross purposes for me: I want partly challenging relationships and the reasons I want my work relationships to be challenging are why I wouldn't want to be friends and vice versa.

It's hard to explain. Like I don't want everyone screaming at each other but the obsessive-compulsive planner and the free-spirited idea guy rub each other the wrong way but produce the best results by shoring up each other's weaknesses. Similarly as a wallflower your most valuable friend is the social butterfly making sure you aren't dead from a heart attack on the shitter when they meet you at the park.

I'm not saying you need to be friends, but if someone is so annoying or disruptive you can't handle spending half an hour with them, how can you possibly hope to work in a collaborative team environment and still tolerate your job? We have field days where it's high stress, 'get a lot of technical poo poo done and improvise half of it' deal. If someone is an argumentative, peevish, well actually type it's not going to work. I've lived all over the world and worked with a pretty diverse range of people with lots of personality types and still enjoyed being around them and had good working relationships.

Your example of an obsessive-compulsive planner and the free-spirited idea guy is perfect. They can rub each other the wrong way sometimes on technical issues, but if they can't stand being around each other for half an hour how can you expect good work out of them? I'm not going to intentionally create a miserable working environment for my staff, that'll just encourage people to start looking for a better job.

Likewise, if you can't trust someone to look after a puppy for a weekend they're not the sort of responsible person I want to trust with a $5,000 piece of equipment or manage an important funder relationship or do sensitive data analysis.

champagne posting posted:

I've found the ultimate question for hiring software developers: "What do you think of Elon Musk?"

If I'd asked some of my housemates this I could have saved myself a huge amount of bullshit.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Outrail posted:

I'm not saying you need to be friends, but if someone is so annoying or disruptive you can't handle spending half an hour with them, how can you possibly hope to work in a collaborative team environment and still tolerate your job? We have field days where it's high stress, 'get a lot of technical poo poo done and improvise half of it' deal. If someone is an argumentative, peevish, well actually type it's not going to work. I've lived all over the world and worked with a pretty diverse range of people with lots of personality types and still enjoyed being around them and had good working relationships.

Your example of an obsessive-compulsive planner and the free-spirited idea guy is perfect. They can rub each other the wrong way sometimes on technical issues, but if they can't stand being around each other for half an hour how can you expect good work out of them? I'm not going to intentionally create a miserable working environment for my staff, that'll just encourage people to start looking for a better job.

Likewise, if you can't trust someone to look after a puppy for a weekend they're not the sort of responsible person I want to trust with a $5,000 piece of equipment or manage an important funder relationship or do sensitive data analysis.

If I'd asked some of my housemates this I could have saved myself a huge amount of bullshit.
I think we might have similar outlooks through much different methods. I have congenial, productive colleague relationships with people I can't wait to not talk to between 5pm Fri and 8am Mon or even with clients I work with for a month and am thrilled to never see again. So the beer gutcheck is not really doing it for me.

All of your puppy examples are things you can better evaluate in behavioural interview prompts because these are getting closer to hard skills. Unless I'm meant to padlock and store my puppy out of sight or in a trunk on the way to a client site, spoil it rotten and provide it's every whim and need like a client, or I can't even think of a data analysis joke to put in here it's such a non sequitur.

This all distills into the slight insanity of modern interviewing like someone was saying where we need to take an hour of someone on their best behavior and figure out if they're gonna be productive or not. If 2 beers and a puppy helps you organize your thoughts on this I can't discredit you personally, just remind you it's a saying percolating out there in a managing force that overwhelmingly only wants to have beer with their own gender and race or thinks Koreans eat dogs.

More simply reminding myself that my most productive personal or business relationships are challenging helps me with hiring goal #1, don't keep hiring yourself.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A job made me take a cognitive evaluation exam that was brutally difficult and I couldn't finish the entire thing. Apparently I scored insanely high on it because the test is designed for you to fail, which boy howdy thats definitely the feeling you want your candidate to have during the hiring process when they have no idea thats part of the test.

When I hired people I threw the results of that test in the trash because it was horseshit for me, it'll be horseshit for them.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

zedprime posted:

don't keep hiring yourself.

We're not making that mistake again

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
If I ever find myself in the egg place I'll be fine, because I'll be masturbating.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Got this email today

:geno:

quote:

[Company] CORONAVIRUS COVID-19 UPDATE

Dear members working at the [Company] Corporate office,

[Company] is committed to keeping you informed about important issues affecting our members and customers. We want to let you know that you may have had contact with a member of the Credit Department who has tested positive for coronavirus COVID-19. The member requested that we not release their name. In accordance with CDC guidelines, they are observing a self-quarantine until approved to return to work.

People are considered exposed if they had close contact, defined as within 6 feet, with or without a face covering or mask for a cumulative 15 minutes or more in 24-hours, on August 10-12. The CDC recommends unvaccinated people who have had prolonged contact with someone known to have COVID-19 self-isolate for 10 days from the date of contact or get a COVID-19 test no sooner than 5 days after exposure. Members who are fully vaccinated, or did not have close contact, are not considered to be exposed or at elevated risk of getting the illness. Unvaccinated members who believe they have been exposed must notify their supervisor and manager immediately.

Hopefully this is further cementing them "work from home, forever, people are a disease" thing. This is the department that operates next to our department's (now empty) cubicles. If we were working there right now we'd all have been exposed.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

We were set to re-open full (Well, we only have desks for 60% of our locations workers and only 10% are expected to be in 4-5 days a week) next month.

Today we got an email that re-openings for ALL locations have been frozen until October and they sent us a link to fill out a survey about our vaccination status. Still debating what to put there.

Our boss is already pushing to let us go back to just being in 3 days a week because with the limited re-opening we've had going since June, the only time people ever actually come in is when there's free food. Otherwise we have maybe 20-50 cars in the parking lot.

hooliganesh
Aug 1, 2003

REPENT!

AHH F/UGH posted:

I’m the “poo poo like that”, emphasis on the poo poo
:lol:

Xaintrailles posted:

If I ever find myself in the egg place I'll be fine, because I'll be masturbating.
:laffo:

I always appreciate a good chuckle before Friday, my busiest day of the week--gotta love those 4:45pm URGENT! tickets coming in that can (and usually will) wait until next week. But hey, if the powerpoint you aren't even going to open over the weekend's gotta be fixed CRITICAL/RUSH! then I'm happy picking up some OT and I'll be thorough enough to keep you nearby for testing.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Interviewing or knowing who to hire is a 100% bullshit art form entirely informed by experience of the one hiring. It has extraordinarily little to do with what your actual resume says and a ton to do with how well you can coerce an interviewer, or several interviewers, into hiring you.

That's why your offices are filled with a mix of good and dogshit employees. It's almost a literal coin flip on whether or not the person hired is worth a poo poo or a literal Karen from HR.

And thats before nepotism.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

AHH F/UGH posted:

Got this email today

We got one of these today too!

quote:

We are aware that two employees (who were in our building on August 2nd) have reported that they tested positive for COVID-19, on August 11th. We will follow CDC guidelines as to when they may report back to [company.] These 2 employees are believed to have had no close contact with any fellow employees. Note: that the CDC defines “close contact” as being within approximately 6 feet of someone for a total of 15 minutes or more.

We continue to take safety precautions for our building including the following.

• Effective 7/22/21 a mask mandate was put back into effect until 8/17/21, where we are required to wear a face mask inside our place of work regardless of vaccination status.
• We continue to do weekly deep disinfecting cleanings throughout our building.
• We will continue to have cleaning products available to keep your work space clean.
• We remind everyone of the importance of not to coming to work while sick.

Again, the safety and health of our employees is of top priority and we are actively following the CDC guidelines regarding COVID19.

We promise that over 9 days they weren't in close contact with anyone (by this very specific definition of "close contact.")

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Interviewing or knowing who to hire is a 100% bullshit art form entirely informed by experience of the one hiring. It has extraordinarily little to do with what your actual resume says and a ton to do with how well you can coerce an interviewer, or several interviewers, into hiring you.

That's why your offices are filled with a mix of good and dogshit employees. It's almost a literal coin flip on whether or not the person hired is worth a poo poo or a literal Karen from HR.

Yep, interviewing is an art because people are loving weird and sometimes cool. Also nepotism seems to win at least 80% of the time from experience. Which means if the job you're applying to uses taleo or any of those extremely lovely software packages then don't bother applying. The people that set those up are idiots.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

AHH F/UGH posted:

Got this email today

:geno:

Hopefully this is further cementing them "work from home, forever, people are a disease" thing. This is the department that operates next to our department's (now empty) cubicles. If we were working there right now we'd all have been exposed.

i've gotten these emails at work like twice a week for a while now, it sucks lol

thankfully i don't really need to go to the office very often, but tbh going in once or twice a week helps my brain be less depressed :smith:

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
My office was thankfully very early about adapting to full work from home, so I am a little shocked that they are forging ahead with their October back to office plan, with mandatory “welcome back” party in mid September for some goddamn reason.
I work on a small team and one of them blabbed to me that we have an anti vaxxer on our team, so that’s fun.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

remigious posted:

My office was thankfully very early about adapting to full work from home, so I am a little shocked that they are forging ahead with their October back to office plan, with mandatory “welcome back” party in mid September for some goddamn reason.
I work on a small team and one of them blabbed to me that we have an anti vaxxer on our team, so that’s fun.

Our CEO really wanted us back "as soon as it was safe" for a good stretch (albeit with COVID-safe guidelines for in the office), and we managed it for a bit earlier this year, but I think the Delta outbreaks have has put paid to any further ideas of going back to the office again anytime soon.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Our CEO really wanted us back "as soon as it was safe" for a good stretch (albeit with COVID-safe guidelines for in the office), and we managed it for a bit earlier this year, but I think the Delta outbreaks have has put paid to any further ideas of going back to the office again anytime soon.

Our CEO wants us all to come back in the office so he can sneak up behind people while they’re on zoom calls.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can have soon, or you can have safe. Pick one ya dummies.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Scientastic posted:

Hiring for personality risks creating a homogeneous workforce of people who are all similar to the hiring manager. It’s well established that people automatically (subconsciously) warm more to people who look like them, and that doesn’t make for a diverse team who attack problems in different ways.

What's even worse are personality test vendors that compare all results against an "ideal" which is usually some extrovert, bubbly type that they try to fill every job with.

One of my old employers required every applicant to take a personality assessment that very much intended to make a homogeneous workforce. It was bullshit and easily faked through at least.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Outrail posted:

You can have soon, or you can have safe. Pick one ya dummies.

"Safe" in regards to others (especially peons) doesn't register for these people.

"You can have soon, or you can pay out legal settlements when you start getting sued for being a superspreader site 40 hours a week" might work better.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
When I was a teacher, one school I worked at always had the dumbest last minute, all-hands-on-deck meetings. Basically the equivalent of reading Dark Souls item descriptions to piece together background lore of events you weren’t present for.

“From now on Ketchup is not allowed in rooms with state testing, no exceptions!”
“For those of you who met with the school board last Friday, don’t forget Ms. Deborah in the front office has your checks. Please pick them up before the end of the school day tomorrow.”
“District lawyers have instructed us not to talk to the media about [some student most people in the room don’t know.]”

“Innovation team, your budget has been approved so you can get started any time.”
“Uhh what’s the innovation team?”
“If you don’t know then don’t worry about it.”

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Every place I've worked that employ tests as part of the hiring process use both a comprehensive problem solving test and a DISC test to see how the applicant would fit into the team.

Tests would only be administered to those applicants who went on to a second interview, and the results would be compared with the impressions from the first interview. If something scored as an outlier or a surprise, it would be a topic for the second interview.

As one of my managers once put it: the problem solving test is to screen for complete idiots and the DISC test is to screen for extreme outliers, but their main functions are only as sanity checks for the CV and the impression from the interviews.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I, too, make all my hiring decisions based on a personality test developed by the creator of Wonder Woman.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Mzuri posted:

Every place I've worked that employ tests as part of the hiring process use both a comprehensive problem solving test and a DISC test to see how the applicant would fit into the team.

Frisbee golf is probably better than most interview tests TBH.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I've never had to take any kind of personality test for a job application and if someone said I had to I would immediately ghost them because lmao wtf

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

A Festivus Miracle posted:

I made a little development exercise that we send out to candidates. It's pretty simple, we give them a few assets to throw into an app that should allow the user to drag and drop an item into a container. And this is in a dev environment that's built for this kind of thing, so it's maybe a few hours of work to complete even if you've never used the platform in question. This is part of the screening process too, not a live interview or something, so you get the stuff, you can complete it on your own time, nobody's looking over your shoulder, and there's no time limit (although I do understand that people want to rush through it to get it done as quickly as possible). We ask them to publish to an executable, and then send the source code and executable back to us.

You WOULD NOT BELIEVE how many applicants I've been able to screen out with this thing. I'd say about 80% fail out at this stage. I have yet to have a bad hire who's gone through this process.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

SubnormalityStairs posted:

I made a little development exercise that we send out to candidates. It's pretty simple, we give them a few assets to throw into an app that should allow the user to drag and drop an item into a container. And this is in a dev environment that's built for this kind of thing, so it's maybe a few hours of work to complete even if you've never used the platform in question. This is part of the screening process too, not a live interview or something, so you get the stuff, you can complete it on your own time, nobody's looking over your shoulder, and there's no time limit (although I do understand that people want to rush through it to get it done as quickly as possible). We ask them to publish to an executable, and then send the source code and executable back to us.

You WOULD NOT BELIEVE how many applicants I've been able to screen out with this thing. I'd say about 80% fail out at this stage. I have yet to have a bad hire who's gone through this process.

at a past body shop, i interviewed someone for a c# role and got somebody that did our 30 minute long assignment entirely in javascript, then said "well i dont know c#"

this was not a general SDE one, it was specifically advertised as c# and .net core only with zero ambiguity

i fuckin love code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

I've never had to take any kind of personality test for a job application and if someone said I had to I would immediately ghost them because lmao wtf

I took one of these for a project manager job years ago and the recruiter said I didn't pass it fuckin lol