Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Can you not get fake brick that looks like blonde sandstone? Like why would you want to fake something that already looks like poo poo.

In August 1305 William Wallace was captured in Robroyston, near Glasgow, and handed over to King Edward I of England, who had him hanged, drawn and quartered for high treason and crimes against English civilians.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brick looks poo poo anyway IMO.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
the newbuilds that's been built (and are still being built) around where i live all seem to be literally plattenbaus with a thin layer of fake brickwork/some other fancy-looking finish thrown on top. as in, there are lorries bringing in whole chunks of buildings made of concrete - fake brickwork preattached - to be assembled like a giant lego set. to be later sold at a hefty £700 000 per one-bedroom flat

i wouldn't mind the naked concrete look, in all honesty - it definitely looks better than fake brickwork at least

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

keep punching joe posted:

Can you not get fake brick that looks like blonde sandstone? Like why would you want to fake something that already looks like poo poo.

You can definitely get stick on quoins, which are basically just the Stonks meme guy going "paladiasm" while looking at a 1970's semi detached with white bits on one corner lmao.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Pistol_Pete posted:

There's some new terraced houses just been built on my way back from work.

I shall check if they have chimneys and report back to the thread shortly.

Update: they don't have chimneys, altho probably 'cos they were thrown up on the cheap as affordable housing rather than any other considerations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Pistol_Pete posted:

Update: they don't have chimneys, altho probably 'cos they were thrown up on the cheap as affordable housing rather than any other considerations.

Are they actually affordable?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

kingturnip posted:

Are they actually affordable?

BTL landlords seem to think so.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lt. Danger posted:

warning: house-buying bullshit

I am in the middle of buying a house (solo, first-time buyer, min wage using a large inheritance and small mortgage), currently looking at £200k for a tiny 2 bed 1 sitting room terrace in a nice quiet area with good transport links. former rental property, built 1995, very small - stairs are in the sitting room kinda small. anyway I just got the homebuyer's report back and I'm more nervy than Starmer at a petting zoo

scary things the report says:
  • the house is close to power lines which run along public land along the back of the back gardens. maybe 20m from edge of property to the ground directly below the lines, so 40m measuring directly? pylons themselves are like 200m each away from the house. I am less concerned about Electro-Magnetic Field health risks than I am potential resale value if I do eventually have to move
  • no sign of japanese knotweed in or around the property but it has been sighted in "the general area"
  • a gas/electrics/heating survey should be carried out to check nothing is drastically wrong. I think as a rental property the boiler has to be checked at least once a year? I don't want to delay for more inspections (getting this survey done took too much effort on my part) but I also don't want my new house to burn down
  • less urgently some roof flashings need replacing/repair, gutters need repair, windows need resealing, evidence of some kind of water damage to bathroom floor and kitchen ceiling directly below (dry but property has been vacant for a little while at least, so not sure if a leak or just spillover from bath upstairs), kitchen units and bathroom overly worn and torn, some floorboards a bit creaky?
  • generally speaking the house is overpriced by £20k. at the moment though it's on par for all property in my city, unless I move to a rougher/less accessible area
I am torn - some of this stuff I can rationalise away as the surveyor just doing their job to provide worst possible scenario or stuff that won't affect me (not looking to sell any time soon, probably gonna refurbish bathroom anyway) but equally I don't want to jump into anything out of desperation to not have to live with strangers in rented housing anymore. I don't particularly want to re-open negotiations but I don't want to overpay for dodgy goods either

I dunno. just looking for thoughts/other people's experiences

The power lines are a thing you can either deal with or not. They will make a distinct background hum at times but you will get used to it and then suddenly you won't hear it anymore. Most people don't care about these anymore.
Knotweed is everywhere in these reports, don't worry about it.
The gas/electrics will be fine if its ex rental in the last 5 years. They would have HAD to do it up to regulation to be able to rent it out and I would be safer in the knowledge that the place had been rented than if it hadn't.
There will always be things that will need to be repaired. Our house needed all of its windows redone but we made do for a year and then got it done after.
All houses at the moment are overpriced. Your choice is to wait 6 months and see if prices drop (they won't) or buy it now.

Ultimately do you love the house. If you don't, don't buy it. It doesn't sound like you're in a rush to get one.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Surveys are important when you're buying a property but do bear in mind that the surveyors are strongly motivated to avoid being sued later on, so they hold every pissy little thing up as a gigantic red flag, which makes it hard for you to work out what's an actual issue and what's just them covering their arses.

Your survey sounds pretty normal to me, the survey done on my Victorian era house was far more blood curdling and yet I live there perfectly happily now.

Also this. Our survey was scary if you read it without then looking at the things it was describing. Basically it boils down to a few things for me. Is there Damp in the house? Is there subsidence? Is there a history of flooding.
If no, you can pretty much deal with anything else as normal wear and tear over the years.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 13, 2021

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
A colleague is very excited about the new build house that he's bought, which isn't actually built yet. It's an eye-watering sum, based off a photo of some wasteland and some swish CGI of what the house might look like. He's so happy and I'm biting my tongue because everyone I've ever known who has lived in a new build has had problems.

Edit: my house survey warned of a flood risk. It last flooded in the 1940s, and if some sort of environmental catastrophe means the river rises so high it gets over a multi-million pound flood defence system and travels almost a mile to my street, then my carpets will be the least of my problems.

Lady Demelza fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 13, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He should go down and stand over them while they build it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lady Demelza posted:

A colleague is very excited about the new build house that he's bought, which isn't actually built yet. It's an eye-watering sum, based off a photo of some wasteland and some swish CGI of what the house might look like. He's so happy and I'm biting my tongue because everyone I've ever known who has lived in a new build has had problems.

If hes bought it before they've put anything in the ground on his plot he's in a better place than most. Advise regular inspections and get him to pay for someone who knows what they're doing to do it. If hes spending 400k+ on this it will save him at least 100k down the line in repairs.

And its not always repairs to the house that cause the most grief. The way they deal with the gardens now is to loving bury as much poo poo as they can (including machinery) and then just chuck shite earth over the top. You need to see what they're doing on this stuff.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Fairly sure a homeowner-to-be going down to stare at a bunch of trades while they were trying to get a job done on an impossible timeline was how immurement originally got invented.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lady Demelza posted:

Even if you stand over the construction crew with a snag list and a cat-o-nine-tails, there's always gonna be things done wrong or not to your liking in a new build. But the larger issue is that you're paying a huge premium to live in a brand new estate with probably very little services or crap transport links, postage-stamp gardens, no real community nearby, constant creeping sense of surreal suburban dread.

On the flipside I suppose, these places (if they're built right) can have great insulation and are compatible with modern eco-friendly heating setups, are usually well setup for smart home tech, are better-proportioned for disabled access, and if you're a yuppie couple starting a family you might meet a bunch of people in a similar position. I wouldn't want any of that though, and when I've stayed in my mates giant, sterile, A-rated new build it felt extremely uncosy and suffocating.

E:

OwlFancier posted:

He should go down and stand over them while they build it.

Lol I posted before I saw this, glad we're all thinking on the same lines, who doesn't dream of being a cruel pharaoh holding the merciless whip hand over their slave crew

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

serious gaylord posted:

And its not always repairs to the house that cause the most grief. The way they deal with the gardens now is to loving bury as much poo poo as they can (including machinery) and then just chuck shite earth over the top. You need to see what they're doing on this stuff.

Lol my 1940s council house is built on the site of an old brick factory, parts of my garden are acid, some are alcaline, there is a layer of bricks and the house itself is built on red ash. One time my neighbour dug up a Victorian wheelbarrow and sold it for a couple of thousand quid.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Guavanaut posted:

Fairly sure a homeowner-to-be going down to stare at a bunch of trades while they were trying to get a job done on an impossible timeline was how immurement originally got invented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NJb7emZyyI

All of these things would get picked up with monthly inspections and then you don't have to sort it out after you've 'completed'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz91Ql6yPVw

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Lady Demelza posted:

One of my colleagues moved into his new build a few weeks ago, and he's already fighting a losing battle against damp. 5 dehumidifiers, that can't be normal? Two other workmates are moving into the same development in the coming weeks. F F F

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Marmaduke! posted:

One of my colleagues moved into his new build a few weeks ago, and he's already fighting a losing battle against damp. 5 dehumidifiers, that can't be normal? Two other workmates are moving into the same development in the coming weeks. F F F

Ask him to check all the extractors are actually connected and vent outside instead of the roof or ceiling voids.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Marmaduke! posted:

Check the hot water tank/cylinder is sealed! This happened somewhere I lived - it was a new build and the builders hadn't put the tops on the cylinders (if they're the type that need a lid - combination) so every time thee water was heated up, the whole flat would steam up. Took a while to figure out what was wrong. They missed them out of 15 flats!

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

New builds are shockingly bad these days, someone my fiancée works with had a problem with their after two months when water started pouring out of the light switches. And you pay like a 30% premium to get them new too

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

serious gaylord posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NJb7emZyyI

All of these things would get picked up with monthly inspections and then you don't have to sort it out after you've 'completed'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz91Ql6yPVw

I really like this guy's vibe.

The final house with the incredibly lovely loft joists is legit terrifying.

Im a complete moron who DIYs after watching a few YouTubes, and even I used correctly sized joist hangers, fully nailed in at the right angles, for all my joist work. And that was for a loving garden deck, not the roof of a £600k house. Lads don't give a gently caress

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The day we moved in to our new build we turned off the heating that they’d left running 24/7 to dry the place out, and almost immediately got water pissing down into the kitchen ceiling from above.

Turned out that they’d nailed the upstairs skirting board into the pipes and since the heating had always been on it didn’t become apparent until it was turned off and the pipes shifted with the temperature change.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

History Comes Inside! posted:

The day we moved in to our new build we turned off the heating that they’d left running 24/7 to dry the place out, and almost immediately got water pissing down into the kitchen ceiling from above.

Turned out that they’d nailed the upstairs skirting board into the pipes and since the heating had always been on it didn’t become apparent until it was turned off and the pipes shifted with the temperature change.

Absolutely shocking

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I've got a nice little house in a convenient location these days and I fully intend to die in it: gently caress the dread of ever moving again.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I really like this guy's vibe.

The final house with the incredibly lovely loft joists is legit terrifying.

Im a complete moron who DIYs after watching a few YouTubes, and even I used correctly sized joist hangers, fully nailed in at the right angles, for all my joist work. And that was for a loving garden deck, not the roof of a £600k house. Lads don't give a gently caress

Its all terrible. This isn't me spouting off about getting a lord to watch over the servants, its about doing things that will save you countless years of grief in the future. Some of the issues are immediately obvious, pipes not connected, windows unsealed etc.

The other issues are more insidious and could have massive ramifications in the future and once the plasterboards up or the brickworks finished you'll never see it until it finally goes drastically wrong. Plumbing is one of the biggest issues in new builds at the moment for the simple reason that outside of gas work and surface water/foul water drainage you don't have to be competent to do the job. They can get any loving monkey in to connect things up and then 3 years later that slow leak has eaten away at the floor of the bathroom and your wife is suddenly having a bath in the dining room.

Or a drain pipe thats got a broken connection underground. Under the resin driveway.

Its all down to speed too. Thats the issue, everything is built so fast.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 13, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think you will find that bathtubs that fall through the floor are actually very attractive to the :females: as our own forums can attest.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I'm curious as to how viable getting monthly inspections of a new-build in progress actually is

because if I was bodging the poo poo out of houses I certainly wouldn't be keen on letting people into the site to have a look around every so often

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If I was a tradesman I would lie awake at night stressing about having hosed up people's houses.

Best that I stick with my pharma job, where if I screw up all that can happen is my company loses millions in profits, and lifesaving therapies are denied to thousand of terminal patients :byodood:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm curious as to how viable getting monthly inspections of a new-build in progress actually is

because if I was bodging the poo poo out of houses I certainly wouldn't be keen on letting people into the site to have a look around every so often

If you start digging under the patio of most new builds, you're likely to find the skeleton of a private surveyor

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sometimes I worry about running over customers with a pallet of beer but to be honest the daft arseholes keep walking out in front of me so it's really their fault if that happens.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i only learned on wednesday night that the trucks that go beeeeeep beeeeeep beeeeeep also have a horn on them

the bloke hit it by accident i think, it gave me beep panic inside the supermarket

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

beep panic! inside the supermarket

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

it's very much a real thing, i forgot what i wanted from that aisle

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think I have ever seen a house where the gutters and flashings didn't "want doing".

Including new builds because they're proably built wrong.

Best is to build your own house, then another one after you figured out all the issues with the first build.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I've thought about this, if I had infinite money I'd like to build a house from scratch just to see where exactly I would gently caress it up. I'm sure whatever I'd produce would be somewhere between Groverhaus and the rebuilt Flanders' house after the hurricane, but still ... After watching the guys pour foundations and lay blockwork on my renovation I reckon I could do that stuff fairly easily

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

OwlFancier posted:

Who expects a new house to have a real chimney??

Yes let's put this giant stone/brick shaft through the middle of the house for all the fires you're definitely going to have rather than central heating off a boiler on the outside wall because then you don't have to do flue inspections.

Most people here would. Most people want a fireplace as a secondary heating source, I wouldn't consider a house if it didn't have a fireplace like a masonry heater or similar so we weren't dependent on electricity incase the power goes out in the winter.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Failed Imagineer posted:

I reckon I could do that stuff fairly easily

very rarely does anything good result from thinking this ime

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I hate that fake brick. They can make the house anything at all and they go with brick but fake. Why not log cabin but fake? Why not vinyl siding but fake? Why not a paisley or Madiba shirt pattern?

Going to start an architectural consultancy with OwlFancier.

I'm guessing I'm not invited because of this?

https://twitter.com/FedeItaliano76/status/1425715350440710149

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1426240593668317185

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

I've thought about this, if I had infinite money I'd like to build a house from scratch just to see where exactly I would gently caress it up. I'm sure whatever I'd produce would be somewhere between Groverhaus and the rebuilt Flanders' house after the hurricane, but still ... After watching the guys pour foundations and lay blockwork on my renovation I reckon I could do that stuff fairly easily

I think i could manage the guy on youtube that builds them out of rocks and mud. Though he wins on looking good in just a pair of shorts.