Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gynovore posted:

Fallen Empires was so hilariously overprinted that a nearby LGS was running a sealed box tournament. Yep, that's right, each entrant got an entire box of Fallen Empires to build their deck.

I feel like that would result in everyone just playing mono-black with 4x Hymn and 4x Order of the Ebon Hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Arivia posted:

I feel like that would result in everyone just playing mono-black with 4x Hymn and 4x Order of the Ebon Hand.

I think that was how it went, except with no 4x limit.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jabor posted:

Unfortunately, this is not the case - DFCs get a specific carveout in the tournament rules, which carrying around extra basic lands doesn't:

(For the longest time promotional cards didn't have a carveout either, until there was a big blowup after some very scummy players were getting themselves game wins from opponents putting the GP promo in their one deckbox they brought to the event).
I disagree because:

quote:

could conceivably be played in the player’s deck,
That they are in different sleeves is what makes it inconceivable that they could be played in your deck. A judge who says otherwise is bad and wrong. Appeal.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

That they are in different sleeves is what makes it inconceivable that they could be played in your deck.

this is absolutely not what that line is referring to. its fine if you want to make dumb rear end posts during spoiler season or whatever but please refrain from unqualified hot takes that will get someone disqualified from a tournament

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

little munchkin posted:

this is absolutely not what that line is referring to. its fine if you want to make dumb rear end posts during spoiler season or whatever but please refrain from unqualified hot takes that will get someone disqualified from a tournament

I'm an L2 and that's exactly what it means so kindly gently caress off.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

HootTheOwl posted:

Why would the rule call out specific cards as allowable in the deckbox and include the caveat that they must be in different sleeves than the main deck?

If what you’re saying is true then the rule should simply state “any extra cards stored with the sideboard must be in different sleeves than the main deck and sideboard or they will be considered part of the sideboard.”

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

LeafHouse posted:

Why would the rule call out specific cards as allowable in the deckbox and include the caveat that they must be in different sleeves than the main deck?

If what you’re saying is true then the rule should simply state “any extra cards stored with the sideboard must be in different sleeves than the main deck and sideboard or they will be considered part of the sideboard.”

I wasn't consulted in the rule writing process.
E: oh, because under your writing if I don't sleeve my SB (say I split a sleeve and had to borrow one off a SB card) that card is now indistinguishable from an "extra card"
Where as a card in a different sleeve can't be confused in that way.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 13, 2021

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

HootTheOwl posted:

my uncle works at wotc and he says you're wrong

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, it'd take a very grognardy judge to DQ someone for having basics in different sleeves with a clear use as non-playables in the same deckbox...ah, yeah, this is MTG we're talking about.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

little munchkin posted:

assuming fadam already knows this but just in case, using actual mtg cards as tokens is not comp rel legal

my move is finding a box of pokemon commons and choosing something that matches. i have a huge stack of ponyta's for my young pyromancer. i've seen a lot of storm players use energy cards from pokemon or force of will

I actually didn’t know this, but it makes sense. It was for EDH tho so who cares lol.

BTW whoever told me that Karn can still yoink stuff out of exile I owe you one. I had a winning play tonight because I Karned back a Cursed Mirror which I used to copy a Nyxbloom Ancient (shoutout to Bust Rodd) which gave me juuust enough mana to combo with Godo. EDH is fun, I look forward to playing it more.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

HootTheOwl posted:

I wasn't consulted in the rule writing process.

Surely not but the way the rule is written casts doubt on your claim.

This 2013 blog post by a L3 judge also supports the idea that you can’t just jam any cards in different sleeves in your deckbox.

“Magic Judges Blog” posted:

So please, please, please, don’t store ANY cards in your deckbox aside from your registered deck and registered sideboard. We treat any other cards that could “conceivably be played in the deck” as part of the sideboard, which is bad news bears for you, because that won’t match your decklist. And the threshold for “conceivably” is pretty low… “Legal in the format” is often enough to qualify, although “of a color(s) that the deck could ever possibly produce” is something that can also be considered. Something we definitely DON’T take into account: “This is a strategically sound choice for a sideboard card for this deck,” because we aren’t responsible for making that analysis. This also means a basic land, even one outside your deck’s colors, could conceivably be played, and shouldn’t be used as a divider.

https://blogs.magicjudges.org/rulestips/2013/07/dont-store-any-extra-cards-with-your-sideboard/

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

LeafHouse posted:

Surely not but the way the rule is written casts doubt on your claim.

This 2013 blog post by a L3 judge also supports the idea that you can’t just jam any cards in different sleeves in your deckbox.

https://blogs.magicjudges.org/rulestips/2013/07/dont-store-any-extra-cards-with-your-sideboard/

Competitive magic 2013 is very different than today. In 2013? Yeah, people were handing out game loses for pokemon cards in the deck box. It 100% would have been enforced that way in 2013, and probably would have been a DQ in 2009.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

I actually didn’t know this, but it makes sense. It was for EDH tho so who cares lol.

BTW whoever told me that Karn can still yoink stuff out of exile I owe you one. I had a winning play tonight because I Karned back a Cursed Mirror which I used to copy a Nyxbloom Ancient (shoutout to Bust Rodd) which gave me juuust enough mana to combo with Godo. EDH is fun, I look forward to playing it more.

Cool line for sure. I wanna get a Nyxbloom Ancient for one of my more casual decks, it's always seemed like a real fun card.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

HootTheOwl posted:

Competitive magic 2013 is very different than today. In 2013? Yeah, people were handing out game loses for pokemon cards in the deck box. It 100% would have been enforced that way in 2013, and probably would have been a DQ in 2009.

Having a card in your deckbox that is a legal card in the format but not on your decklist, regardless of what color sleeve it's in, qualifies as Tournament Error - Deck Problem. However, if you make sure to present your sideboard (By removing in from your deckbox and identifying it your opponent.) at the start of each match you can have extra cards in your deckbox.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you're inviting disaster putting magic cards in your deck box that aren't in your deck list in a tournament setting. it's trivially easy to avoid even the possibility of getting dq'd for that reason by an ornery judge. just use Pokemon cards or a d20 or a bunch of puppies or anything at all but basic lands from the magic the gathering card game

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I take it that putting rock lobster, paper tiger, and scissor lizard in my deck box to determine who goes first is a bad idea?

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

I wonder if they're going to reprint:

Seems like it would be decently cool.

Any hot takes on other cards that might get reprinted?

edit: or maybe

Opinionated fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 13, 2021

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Drewjitsu posted:

I take it that putting rock lobster, paper tiger, and scissor lizard in my deck box to determine who goes first is a bad idea?

They're not legal in any format, so they're fine.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Jabor posted:

Unfortunately, this is not the case - DFCs get a specific carveout in the tournament rules, which carrying around extra basic lands doesn't:

•Damaged cards that have been officially proxied for the tournament.

Does this mean you can rock up with your expensive RL cards and ask to proxy them under the guise of being "damaged"? If your dog tips your trop in half you can proxy it as long as you have the pieces?

fadam posted:

Karn grabbing stuff that's been exiled is such bullshit :hai:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

HootTheOwl posted:

I disagree because:

That they are in different sleeves is what makes it inconceivable that they could be played in your deck. A judge who says otherwise is bad and wrong. Appeal.

You can look at the clarifying notes on MagicJudges if it helps:

quote:

It is important that the sideboard is kept physically far enough away that it doesn’t become mixed with the player’s library. Cards in a deckbox that could conceivably be used in the deck can be suspicious, and provide an opportunity for the player to cheat by being added to the deck in between games. We want to remove this opportunity and so cards in the deckbox are considered to be part of the sideboard unless explicitly called out as an exception. It can be a good idea for a supplementary announcement involving cards in deckboxes to be issued so that we can curb this behavior.

Players that present their sideboard by removing it from their deck box and identifying it to the opponent at the start of the match should not receive this penalty, even if there are other cards remaining in the deck box that don’t fit one of the above exceptions. Players should be encouraged to get into this habit.

That last paragraph means that yes technically you're fine to have extra cards in different sleeves if you explicitly identify your sideboard before each match, but you can definitely get smacked if you forget to do that even once so it's pretty hard to justify the risk IMO.

An example of cards that can't conceivably be played in your deck would be cards that aren't legal in the relevant format. For example, the Rock/Paper/Scissors cards from Unglued, assuming you're not playing an Un-set tournament at comp REL for some reason.

Note also the very next paragraph of the actual infraction definition says:

quote:

Cards in different sleeves, tokens, and double-faced cards for which substitute cards are being used are ignored when determining deck (not sideboard) legality.

There's a reason that parenthetical I've bolded is in there.

--

ilmucche posted:

Does this mean you can rock up with your expensive RL cards and ask to proxy them under the guise of being "damaged"? If your dog tips your trop in half you can proxy it as long as you have the pieces?

Not really - this scenario comes up if a card is damaged beyond playability during the course of the tournament, the TO has an option to issue a proxy for the remainder of the tournament. You can't rock up with unplayably damaged cards from the get-go and then just play with proxies.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Mezzanon posted:

While we’re talking about prohibitively expensive sealed product, does anyone know what a 4th edition two player starter pack goes for nowadays?

I picked one up for like $60 a couple years ago because I thought it would be a fun thing for my girlfriend and I to play with, but I forgot about it and it’s still sealed in my box of boxes.

Extremely tempting to break it open for the glass beads and cloth bag.

This was the product that literally got me into MTG. In 1995, when I was seven, my mom bought it for me and my brother when we were at some random store. I played my first game with her and rapidly became hooked. I distinctly remember the glass beads -- I think I still have them somewhere in my childhood bedroom closet.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

My reserved list conspiracy theory is that as well as their public promises, they also made some confidential real contracts with some card stores or collectors or somesuch, like "Person X agrees to buy Y boxes of cards, and Wizards promises to retain the reserve list". I think that's less likely to be thrown out of court than the promissory estoppel thing.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Qwertycoatl posted:

My reserved list conspiracy theory is that as well as their public promises, they also made some confidential real contracts with some card stores or collectors or somesuch, like "Person X agrees to buy Y boxes of cards, and Wizards promises to retain the reserve list". I think that's less likely to be thrown out of court than the promissory estoppel thing.
the biggest secondary market seller in the world has gone on record saying they explicitly endorse getting rid of the reserve list

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The "reverberate is too close to fork" thing leads me to believe there's some party actively pushing for the maintenance of the reserve list, though this could just be Hasbro legal.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
After diving back into Arena after not logging in since Theros I'm honestly a little relieved that Throne of Eldraine is still such a bullshit set that I can casually cruise up to Platinum without opening any new packs

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
Re: Mana "tokens", I personally use Pokemon Energy cards(Grass, Fire, Water, Dark, Electric, and Steel), but also do have a Red and Blue(and Storm) token from artist rk post that are nice.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Opinionated posted:

edit: or maybe

This is the highest res of Snap I have ever seen, and I STILL can't tell if he is missing his hand and made a bottle gun arm, or if it's just gloved and he put the magic bottle gun on top of it.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

His hand is there, it's just in a glove so it's very dark. You can see the same sleeve higher up on the other arm too.

ENHANCE

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

it's just megaman

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

hey mom its 420 posted:

it's just megaman

It's obviously Ken Jeong cosplaying as Megaman.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Gynovore posted:

Fallen Empires was so hilariously overprinted that a nearby LGS was running a sealed box tournament. Yep, that's right, each entrant got an entire box of Fallen Empires to build their deck.

I don’t know if that would be enough FE to find 23 playables in one color pair.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Entropic posted:

I looked at the card list last night - after black, your best bet is green for Thallid synergies.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Entropic posted:

a friend of mine has done this before. Apparently it's 5 color good stuff unless you add in some core set packs. And most of the games end in decking after a 20 minute board stall.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

DisgracelandUSA posted:

a friend of mine has done this before. Apparently it's 5 color good stuff unless you add in some core set packs. And most of the games end in decking after a 20 minute board stall.

There is almost no removal in the set at all. The closest you get is:

Merseine: a claustrophobia aura that can be removed by paying the creature’s casting cost 3 times.

Seasinger: a steal effect that only works if the opponent has islands. Rare.

Necrite: can sac itself to kill a creature if it gets through unblocked. The only removal in black.

Dwarven Catapult: XR to deal X divided evenly among all your opponents’ creatures, rounded down.

Thorn Thallid: 1 damage every 3 turns.

Goblin Grenade

Icatian Javelineers: a one-time deal-1 effect.

Homarid Shaman: an overpriced tapper that can only target green creatures.

Hand of Justice: actual repeatable removal but it’s a 6 mana rare and requires 3 other white creatures to activate. Actually probably an unbeatable bomb in FE limited.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Entropic posted:

Hand of Justice: actual repeatable removal but it’s a 6 mana rare and requires 3 other white creatures to activate. Actually probably an unbeatable bomb in FE limited.

I thought Fallen Empires didn't even have rares? Or I could be wrong. I remember there was something confusing about how they did rarity sheets

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

goferchan posted:

I thought Fallen Empires didn't even have rares? Or I could be wrong. I remember there was something confusing about how they did rarity sheets

I believe it's just hand of justice and ebon praetor? Which has hilarious old skool magic art, by the way.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

goferchan posted:

It had two rarity levels and each level had two sub-levels. I think. It's been kind of a while.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
It's a super weird set for rarities. They only had commons and uncommons, but some cards would appear more or less frequently on the common and uncommon print sheets so they wound up being different rarities of c/u. The "most uncommon uncommons" are effectively rares. Sort of.

What a set.

Also booster packs were 8 cards (2 U, 6 C) and the slots would just be randomly filled so you could get a pack with no "rares" or a pack with two.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

A fun draft format would be 1x6th Edition/2xFallen Empires/2xHomelands

Garbage Draft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Silhouette posted:

A fun draft format would be 1x6th Edition/2xFallen Empires/2xHomelands

Garbage Draft

Was 6th edition the one that cut Serra Angel "for power concerns" and reprinted Necropotence in the same set :psyduck: