Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

lobsterminator posted:

You know as well as we do that the correct thing to do is to encourage them to buy an Idris and keep mining them for thread content.

:hmmyes:

https://v.redd.it/yzcfptyi6cj51/DASH_480.mp4

Quavers fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:shepspends: Thoughts about payment model
I have some concerns about the financial future of Star Citizen when it soft releases to version 1.0
Because SC will never be really finished, development will go on and on even after release (No I'm not this special "Smart" person).
For me, it would be absolutely OK to KEEP the present payment model. Keep the ability to buy ships, keep subscriber level and just limit buyable UEC to a certain amount.
Many of us have a hard workday and I think it would be fine to have the choice not to grind for new ships but just buy one. This would be no P2W because many of the ships are highly specialized.
Of course, ship prices should remain high to have a motivation to earn them in game, components should be just buyable with UEC.
What do you others think about this? It seems to be the most sensible way for me.

:argh: No. No ongoing purchase of ships. We backed this project, we had faith, so many other people out there crap on it. We get ships. They get to grind and be our peasant underclass.
Enjoy that aurora you faithless whiners.
I don't mind a limited purchase of UEC so long as it's very limited. Basically enough for fuel, ammo, hangar fees and insurance and that's it. Once a month. I don't even mind a subscription style like 2* the UEC and a monthly cosmetic for subscribers.
Other than that I hope purchases are limited to cosmetic items only. I've no problem with the ongoing sale of skins and paints. But NO selling of actual items IN ANY WAY once we go live.

:munch:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

More realism to the game, star CITIZEN posted:

Hello, I was shocked by the details in the beautiful cities in sc, and the spawning points.

But I have to say, I have had some disappointments along the way, like that when arriving at a city, I can see all these tall buildings, and at orison I can see the gardens and view, but I can't actually visit most of them on foot.
The game is called Star CITIZEN and when going into a city like Area18 and seeing Adira Falls I can't ignore that players should have a way to rent/buy an apartment or a hotel room. the game is called star citizen. I am, as a player, supposed to be a citizen. And citizens have a place to live at.

You really put a great effort to the spawning place and I think you should enable citizens to rent/buy these capsules/hotel rooms/apartments and also log out of the game there. After I exit the spawning point, I can't return after the door closes. I really want to own a house in the 30th century as a citizen, I would pay an extra 30 dollars just for that. Citizens could be able to share apartments with their friends and respond to ECNs or to an emergency beacon of one of their friends from their apartment and etc, and Charge their MobiGlas. This thing is an electronic device, after all.
I think a lot of other citizens would agree with me that the ability to actually LIVE in the 30th century is very cool, on top of being able to travel in space with friends.
Being able to call the bank and request a loan from it or even from their friends, and also being able to work at the bank, or spaceport managing the traffic. There are a lot of people in the flight simulation community that like to be ATC (Air Traffic Controllers) like in VATSIM
Joining the police forces, and enforce the law around the UEE territory, for reputation, and for higher clearances to rooms and missions. Going to a protest with friends. And a lot more.

It would surely bring more people to the game, and you can also make that as an expansion, and then the community and you will both benefit

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Can't wait to get home from a long day doing data entry and relax by doing space data entry

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

lobsterminator posted:

You know as well as we do that the correct thing to do is to encourage them to buy an Idris and keep mining them for thread content.

I would love to pretend this was not true, but I find I cannot disagree :v:

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Additionally if you want to be a space man doing space man things there is a truly excellent Alien RPG out published by Free League. Granted, it leans pretty hard into the horror aspect of the actual aliens but it's built in a way that you could run a whole space trucker campaign or colonial marines campaign and never even see an alien if you wanted.

Playing that in the next few weeks.

There's loads of space RPGs around. The Expanse RPG is sitting on my shelf waiting for me to have time to read it. There's Star Trek Adventures, Dune: Adventures in the Imperium. Hell, there's even a John Carter of Mars game if you fancy a Flash Gordon style game. Plus of course, the granddady of them all, Traveller.

There's even an Elite Dangerous RPG (which is actually pretty fun from the one-shot I played a few years ago): https://www.modiphius.net/collections/elite-dangerous

;)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
These people want so much from CIG when they can't even get them most basic things right. Like yeah, no poo poo you can't visit all of the apartment buildings that are just set dressing, they can't even make the relatively small visitable areas where EVERYONE spawns at stable

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Wrapping your head around the places are video game levels where the buildings you see are just 3D models with nothing actually inside them seems like it should be a basic understanding. This has been how it's been since video gaming got to that level.

SC doesn't even have cities at the level of interaction as a GTA type open world. You can just admire the graphics from within the bounds of the level. If you go outside it it quickly turns into one of those situations where you're interacting with stuff not meant to be interacted with, like going out of boundaries in an open world game.

:chloe:

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

There may be a game company out there can create a vision of life in a 30th century society, but CIG isn't it

CIG's vision of the 30th century is an airport terminal complete with soda vending machines, tacky clothing shops, and wall-to-wall advertisements.

Somebody at CIG went to a big metropolitan airport as a kid and thought, "This is it! This is utopia! I wish I could live here!!!"

Edit: gently caress, forgot to mention Space Sbarro

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Someone from CIG also went to the Monaco GP and hung out on super yachts and thought "gently caress yeah, this is how you spend backer's money doing research for the best drat space sim ever, now who has got more vitamins?"

:sandance: :iiasb:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Lammasu posted:

Is it hard to get cocaine in Great Britain? I'm clueless about such things in America, never mind overseas.

In 2021, Captain Nemo runs drugs bro. Trans-atlantic narco-submarines are a thing.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hisutton/2019/11/26/big-deal-for-drug-smuggling-first-atlantic-narco-submarine/

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

lobsterminator posted:

Pfff- The Idris is so 2015…

All the cool people are buying Krakens now.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
I flew to an ice moon to shoot some guys for a contract. Takes some time to get the ship out of storage, fly there, land.

I get out of the ship and pull out my SMG. It doesn't render, only the attachments, and then my inventory tells me it's gone, what SMG?

Pull out one of my pistols. It also vanishes and disappears from my inventory

Pull out my last pistol and actually get it readied. Walk into the complex, get on an elevator. Accidentally press the hotkey to pull out the medpen to heal yourself. My guy throws the last pistol into the air and it vanishes.

So the elevator takes me to the bottom level where the guys are and I have no guns to shoot them... going to buy more guns will cost more than the contract is going to pay out.

I think the youtube influencers that ride around in free Carracks are playing a different game than I am.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

Wrapping your head around the places are video game levels where the buildings you see are just 3D models with nothing actually inside them seems like it should be a basic understanding. This has been how it's been since video gaming got to that level.

SC doesn't even have cities at the level of interaction as a GTA type open world. You can just admire the graphics from within the bounds of the level. If you go outside it it quickly turns into one of those situations where you're interacting with stuff not meant to be interacted with, like going out of boundaries in an open world game.

:chloe:

I'll let you know that I visited all the buildings in Anor Londo and in the bathhouse Gwynevere was, like naked, and I tripped and fell on the top of her boobs (literally!) and she went b-b-b-aka!

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

NumptyScrub posted:

Was talking to an IRL friend of mine who is big into ED, and they are studiously trying to ignore that ED has been released for long enough now that it is hitting end of life, which saddens them. Unfortunately in the same conversation they started telling me how they thought SC "looks amazing" (SC was reintroduced to them via the whole ex-Odyssey streamer thing) and I am now worried they are going to buy in, despite me having told them for years how it's a dumpster fire made of incompetence and dreams.txt

Not gonna :sever: because I believe they are worth saving, but what's the thread opinion on how heavy to rip the piss out of them if they do buy in? Have known this person 20+ years so comfortable being brutally honest with them

They're not attacking the capitol, they're just buying into a space game that looks, from the outside, to be P Cool. If they spend 45 bucks and be super disappointed because it's a broken mess... well, lesson learned, huh.

Just don't let them buy an expensive ship. My god don't let them buy an expensive ship.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

I'll let you know that I visited all the buildings in Anor Londo and in the bathhouse Gwynevere was, like naked, and I tripped and fell on the top of her boobs (literally!) and she went b-b-b-aka!

I want to say something witty and clever but I'm not sure what I can say. It's probably like reading most of my auto-correct destroyed posts anyhow. :)

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Quantum Library Triggering Events

I am surprised this individual can memorize all this quantum simulation drivel.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Imagine still being able to type out that poo poo saying "will" like it hasn't been 10 loving years and they haven't managed to release a single player module

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

some forum guy posted:

Many of us have a hard workday and I think it would be fine to have the choice not to grind for new ships but just buy one.

So like every other modern video game? "I work hard so I should be able to buy things in the game so I don't have to play it because playing this game is work"

same guy posted:

Of course, ship prices should remain high to have a motivation to earn them in game, components should be just buyable with UEC.

Insert EA quote about pride and accomplishment

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:reddit: 3.14 isnt in a state where a free flight is appropiate

:( It feels like we say this with every free flight.

:v: It is in exactly a state where a free fly is appropriate.

:pray: I sure hope we can push some of those PTU patches to live. I want to drag my friends in but it seems pointless if they can't actually play lmao

:argh: Why do they keep having free fly events before the new patch bugs are fixed? It's turned several of my friends away from buying the game in the past and I can imagine many people getting the wrong first impression from these events.

:shepspends: Do they sell more ships during this event?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Quavers posted:

:argh: Why do they keep having free fly events before the new patch bugs are fixed? It's turned several of my friends away from buying the game in the past and I can imagine many people getting the wrong first impression from these events.

Love "wrong" first impression. Whatever first impression someone ends up with is the correct one, that's how experiences and opinions work.

MostlyRandom
Nov 1, 2019

the new mining mechanic is looking good

MostlyRandom
Nov 1, 2019
https://i.imgur.com/3V2yjzL.mp4
a real life citizen

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

:siren: :mods: :siren:

dejapes
Jan 4, 2020

"experienced pilot scouting for their next ship"

They really don't bother to hide the whale-milking these days, do they?

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Indistinguishable from actual gameplay.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkRYW-GG7v8&t=104s

In a game where elevators and even stairs are lethal, let's get hard to work on creating a permadeath mechanic.

I wonder if more clones will cost money? :homebrew:

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Penitent posted:

In a game where elevators and even stairs are lethal, let's get hard to work on creating a permadeath mechanic.

Outside of hardcore modes like Diablo, Path of Exile, or ironman Xcom, what games have had permadeath?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Penitent posted:

two things that stuck out to me

the ships are now culling their 5000000000000,000000 poly models at like, 50m away, you'll see the ships engines go from detailed to less detailed as soon as it starts to fly away... guess they hoped no one would notice that!

the game simply can't stop moving

something is always twitching, or gyrating, or in the case of the players their legs are always moving every time you do the slightest action

all that money well spent on mocapping dynamic leg positions!

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cutedge posted:

So like every other modern video game? "I work hard so I should be able to buy things in the game so I don't have to play it because playing this game is work"

yeah kinda defies the purpose of playing a game doesnt it.
look when i come home from work i want to play me a good round of pac-man. BUT having power pellets only in the corners is a no-no. in my world all pellets should be power pellets.

this is not pay to win, because i cannot kill the ghosts, they respawn, so there is the same amount of ghosts on my playfield then on some rear end in a top hat peasant's playfield.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Quavers posted:

:reddit: [i]3.14 isnt in a state where a free flight is appropiate

:( It feels like we say this with every free flight.

:v: It is in exactly a state where a free fly is appropriate.

That last line there is true.

Besides the impossibility of making Star Citizen look good to a newcomer (god, just imagine how much work it would take to fix even half of the poo poo wrong with it), it's vitally important to the funding that anyone trying it out for free gets to experience just how broken it is.

Like the way e-mail scammers misspell words and use fractured English in order to make sure that they only get replies from the most gullible marks, CIG wants to make sure that only TRUE commandos will give them money. They want to promise a universe continually and sometimes deliver a shopping cart, not get angry e-mails demanding refunds, and that means anyone who buys into this in 2021 needs to be someone who is already 100% on board with dreaming about how great Star Citizen will be someday while happily ignoring how bad it is right now.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

skeletors_condom posted:

Quantum Library Triggering Events

I am surprised this individual can memorize all this quantum simulation drivel.

Is it just me or does this read like it was put together by some sort of chatbot trained on CIG buzzwords?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Viscous Soda posted:

Is it just me or does this read like it was put together by some sort of chatbot trained on CIG buzzwords?

I had forgotten about Talk To A Transformer

Riot Food
Dec 29, 2012

Quavers posted:

:argh: No. No ongoing purchase of ships. We backed this project, we had faith, so many other people out there crap on it. We get ships. They get to grind and be our peasant underclass.[/i]

Is this actually real? It feels like a far too on the nose distillation of what’s typically only hinted at by mega whales and mocked ITT as the ship-mopping janitor progression system.

My mind is slightly blown that someone has actually come out and expressed sincerely that they expect people to choose to play within an entrenched two-tier class system where they are permanently serfs. For fun. Who the gently caress do they think would actually do this :psyduck:

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Riot Food posted:

Is this actually real? It feels like a far too on the nose distillation of what’s typically only hinted at by mega whales and mocked ITT as the ship-mopping janitor progression system.

My mind is slightly blown that someone has actually come out and expressed sincerely that they expect people to choose to play within an entrenched two-tier class system where they are permanently serfs. For fun. Who the gently caress do they think would actually do this :psyduck:

They do it because if they play as janitors for ten years, they might afford a ship of their own.

Riot Food
Dec 29, 2012

lobsterminator posted:

They do it because if they play as janitors for ten years, they might afford a ship of their own.

Bootstraps: in space!

It’s like they’ve never seen human beings interact on an MMO before. First thing that’s gonna happen in their dreamed for hyper realistic fidelity sim is Jeeves the loyal janitor taking his fidelity mop with individual mop head fibre physics and beating the poo poo out of them before jacking their ship and flying it into a sun.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

LostRook posted:

No, it comes out more in One's other work Mob Psycho 100 and the Murata version obscures it but One Punch Man definitely has a core message of "Grow up and live in the real world" with a strong anti-fantasy bent.

OPM always read to me as being about the mythical Japanese path to a perfect life. Work really hard in middle school so you go to a good high school! Work hard in high school so you can go to a good university! Go from your good university to a good job! Congratulations, you did it, your life is happy forever!

Saitama works hard and achieves all the feats set in front of him, but the end of the journey is unsatisfying to him, just like many people in Japan are unsatisfied with their unfulfilling corporate job.

Groshlak
Jan 9, 2021
Talk To A Transformer is one of my favourite thing I found in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Riot Food posted:

Bootstraps: in space!

It’s like they’ve never seen human beings interact on an MMO before. First thing that’s gonna happen in their dreamed for hyper realistic fidelity sim is Jeeves the loyal janitor taking his fidelity mop with individual mop head fibre physics and beating the poo poo out of them before jacking their ship and flying it into a sun.

The bootstrap fetish has always confused me. The entire point of learning, teaching, writing, poo poo, all of history, is that someone figures something out, then teaches everyone else, and then we work on the next thing. It's called civilization.

If these fuckers had been in charge we'd still be living in caves. "I had to invent the wheel myself, so you have to as well! You cave-kids want everything handed to you!"