Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

tater_salad posted:

still not enough to Carry OP's mom around..

Sorry I'll show myself out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqWtir1gwR8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Space Gopher posted:

The Ford Ranger and Honda Ridgeline are three quarter ton trucks if you go by what they can actually carry in the bed.

Yeah, hell, my 33 year old Jeep Comanche is a one ton if you're looking at bed rating. Not only that, it's one metric ton :smuggo:

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

There's also the fact that he's hauling dirt, and I've seen far too many idiots go "But the trailer isn't even full!" Hey chucklefuck, dirt is heavy, and a cubic yard is smaller than you think.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
When I clear cut my back yard I had 13 tri axle dump trucks of fill and soil brought in. Each truck carried 15 yards of 2 inch minus fill. Then when it came to top soil, they told me they could only do 8 or 9 yards because they would hit the load limitations of the road. Soil is heavy as gently caress.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I learned that lesson with my one ton dump truck. It can actually carry 3k, truck is 7600, gvw is 10600 and 3 yards of trap rock had the rear springs bent over. They were hitting the bar that props up the dump bed and I thought the noise was the truck breaking. It could carry 3 yards of mulch easy so why not rocks?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The 65 Econoline pickup I'm working on is 'rated' (in Ford ads) at a 1/2-ton payload, with a GVW of...3600lbs.

e: uh, 3/4 ton?

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 11, 2021

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

shy boy from chess club posted:

I learned that lesson with my one ton dump truck. It can actually carry 3k, truck is 7600, gvw is 10600 and 3 yards of trap rock had the rear springs bent over. They were hitting the bar that props up the dump bed and I thought the noise was the truck breaking. It could carry 3 yards of mulch easy so why not rocks?

That reminds me of when i was carting rock slabs for work with National Parks and went to a quarry in our little 6 tonne mitsubishi 4wd canter. Trucks rated to 6T gross vehicle mass, has about 2.5T of capacity in the bed.

This quarry didnt have ANY scales at all and just loaded off feel. I drove back to the park with all 4 corners on the bump stops and the inside of the duals in the rear just about touching. Couldnt tip the load out without help from a mini excavator lifting the bed, and i KNOW that truck could tip 7 tonnes in the bed after a screw up at a different quarry when someone fat fingered the trucks GVM into their load system and the loader tipped 7 tonnes of 3mm pea gravel in without thinking cos thats what his screen told him to load. Had to tip it off and get loaded again with the right amount.

I have no idea just how far over my GVM i was on the road!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
One yard of topsoil in the Binder looked so average and felt like I was moving a mountain. First gear was required for starting and I considered going the long way when I saw a red light on a hill ahead.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I used to put 6 yards of anything in the f550 at work. The old 6.0 would hit 45psi of boost trying to pull out of the gravel pit sometimes, but never let me down...

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

StormDrain posted:

One yard of topsoil in the Binder looked so average and felt like I was moving a mountain. First gear was required for starting and I considered going the long way when I saw a red light on a hill ahead.

:hmmyes: Now that's what a real truck should look like.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

90s Solo Cup posted:

:hmmyes: Now that's what a real truck should look like.

Agreed. I will also accept any truck doing actual *work*, but favor vintage stuff.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

https://twitter.com/mecharichter/status/1417944753937715205

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

chrisgt posted:

The old 6.0 would hit 45psi of boost trying to pull out of the gravel pit sometimes, but never let me down...

Words you don't hear together often.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The horrible mechanical failures are coming from within the thread.

MrsYenko: “My Jetta has a warning light on.”
MrYenko: “Gimme the keys, I’ll go take a look.”

:stonklol:

Picture was taken on the way to the mechanic…

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Bingo!

You were playing warning light bingo yes?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

Agreed. I will also accept any truck doing actual *work*, but favor vintage stuff.

Mine doesn't do work often but when it does...

A literal ton of solar:

And of course the load its been putting up with for 9 months, 6000 miles weighing in at 3 tons.

Its good for 3 tons directly over the rear axle or behind it. 4.5-5 if its biased against the headache rack.

VVVV: Absolutely. Strip it down to the short and BP it from the ground up. Don't loving tune it and its a fantastic engine. In fact. de-rate it to that of schoolies. It'll still have triple the power of a 7.3.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 11, 2021

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Colostomy Bag posted:

Words you don't hear together often.

It had been bulletproofed. Head studs, multi-layer headgaskets, EGR delete, fuel system upgrade, etc, etc, etc.
The 6.0 is actually really reliable if you go through the effort of taking it completely apart and putting it together correctly.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I paid for the whole speedometer, I'm going to use the whole speedometer.

...no, not like that.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I’m the half-a-needle on the tach

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I’m the half-a-needle on the tach

If it had a longer one it would interfere with the speedo.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

OwlFancier posted:

Who goes 20mph at 7000rpm?

Fake edit: oh wait nevermind its all of you.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

Edit: I went and looked it up and :lol: my old Ninja 250 would've been at 7500rpm at 20mph.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cursedshitbox posted:

And of course the load its been putting up with for 9 months, 6000 miles weighing in at 3 tons.

Its good for 3 tons directly over the rear axle or behind it. 4.5-5 if its biased against the headache rack.
The slide in definitely counts as doing work.

OwlFancier posted:

It did. And… it did.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Motorcycles, RADL, jet engine gang, s2k guys, among others

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

chrisgt posted:

It had been bulletproofed. Head studs, multi-layer headgaskets, EGR delete, fuel system upgrade, etc, etc, etc.
The 6.0 is actually really reliable if you go through the effort of taking it completely apart and putting it together correctly.

Sounds like any Northstar made before 2004 or 2005 thereabouts.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

kastein posted:

Motorcycles, RADL, jet engine gang, s2k guys, among others

Triggered. I’m 3/4 of this post.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Triggered. I’m 3/4 of this post.

post ur jet engine (but hopefully not in this thread)

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Related : the needle positions of the tach and speedo on my old Infiniti G20 synced up perfectly in third gear, all the way to redline. This made it real easy to rev-match when downshifting.

always wondered if this was something common to other cars or if it was just a coincidence.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

buttcrackmenace posted:

Related : the needle positions of the tach and speedo on my old Infiniti G20 synced up perfectly in third gear, all the way to redline. This made it real easy to rev-match when downshifting.

always wondered if this was something common to other cars or if it was just a coincidence.
Fourth gear in my Mustang.

I don't think it's an intentional "let's make a gear (or this gear) sync up" so much as there's a common gear ratio (1:1) where it occurs. Coincidentally, 4th gear on my mustang is ... 1.00(:1), and some light googling suggests that 3rd gear on a 4 speed G20 was 1:1, while 4th gear on a 5 speed G20 was as well.

There's usually a few gears that are above 1:1, one that's 1:1, and one that's less than 1:1. Obviously with newer 6/7/8 speed trannies, there's sometimes a few that are less than 1:1.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
I think I put 200 cinderblocks (for a hog pit) in the back of my C10. It was uhhhhhh interesting, since it was essentially sitting on the bump stops in the back. Plus any big stops instantly cooked the drums so I barely had any brakes.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Krakkles posted:

Fourth gear in my Mustang.

I don't think it's an intentional "let's make a gear (or this gear) sync up" so much as there's a common gear ratio (1:1) where it occurs. Coincidentally, 4th gear on my mustang is ... 1.00(:1), and some light googling suggests that 3rd gear on a 4 speed G20 was 1:1, while 4th gear on a 5 speed G20 was as well.

There's usually a few gears that are above 1:1, one that's 1:1, and one that's less than 1:1. Obviously with newer 6/7/8 speed trannies, there's sometimes a few that are less than 1:1.

Pretty much any postwar RWD American car with a manual transmission will have a 1:1 4th gear. If it has fewer than four gears, it’ll be top gear.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Motorcyclists: I paid for the whole tach, I'm gonna use the whole tach.

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

Valt posted:

I think I put 200 cinderblocks (for a hog pit) in the back of my C10. It was uhhhhhh interesting, since it was essentially sitting on the bump stops in the back. Plus any big stops instantly cooked the drums so I barely had any brakes.

Let's see:

200 * 38 = 7,600 lbs

Yup, that looks fine.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

HawkHill posted:

Let's see:

200 * 38 = 7,600 lbs

Yup, that looks fine.

there is zero chance an empty cinderblock weighs 38 pounds. I used to pick those things up easily as a kid and throw em and poo poo, it's maybe 15 pounds max.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

there is zero chance an empty cinderblock weighs 38 pounds. I used to pick those things up easily as a kid and throw em and poo poo, it's maybe 15 pounds max.
Haven't picked one up in awhile but everything I can find on a standard 8x8x16 cinderblock says 38 lbs.

That also looks more like 75-80 blocks in the truck (assuming 3 deep) which is still about 3000 lbs in your old rear end truck mind you.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LifeSunDeath posted:

A five gallon bucket full of water weighs about forty pounds.

A cinderblock is far more than fifteen.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Now show us your motorcycle. :laugh:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Platystemon posted:

Now show us your motorcycle. :laugh:

Thought about that during the two sets of stairs up from the basement. I guess I'd need about 10 more for that.

LifeSunDeath was a strong kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

Motorcyclists: I paid for the whole tach, I'm gonna use the whole tach.
drat straight :clint: