Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I should just go spend some time outside, in the heat that would be a record if it wasn't for the previous record heat, and admire my yard full of dead/dying trees. Everything is fine! I just need to relax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

My parents lived with copd for a decade before passing in 2019. I inherited 2 Invancare PerfectO2 oxygen concentrators so that when I get covid and the hospitals are full, I can put myself on oxygen. This is my bright spot. This is what counts as a positive thing in my life.

i was just thinking that it's a good thing i have an oxygen cylinder that i was using for doing glass flameworking. i just need to get an oxygen mask or something now, just in case. it'll probably be fine though, all the hospitals are full but Governor "Kermit the Frog" Ige has expressed concern.

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

i am harry posted:

can confirm, my zoro tools order arrived today:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Dog Case posted:

I should just go spend some time outside, in the heat that would be a record if it wasn't for the previous record heat, and admire my yard full of dead/dying trees. Everything is fine! I just need to relax

do 10 lols and 20 lmaos and call me in the morning

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
We can only watch.

https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1426275993946296324?s=19

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

this is how teacher vaccine mandates ought to be done:

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1426277070359965697

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Dog Case posted:

Cool that being vocal over the controversial idea that maybe we should do something so less people die gets your friends concerned and trying to convince you that if you look at this pretty chart and read some numbers, things aren't actually bad!

Maybe I should start being loud about bitcoins and nfts instead so everybody will think I'm ok

an article about psychology mentioned "maladaptive response" and it explains nearly everything about the normie ignorance to what's happening: https://www.healthline.com/health/maladaptive-behavior#maladaptive-thought-process

quote:

Life rarely goes as expected. When faced with an obstacle, we can adapt or not. In the moment, it’s not necessarily a conscious choice. It could be a temporary reaction until we have a chance to think about it.

Adaptive behavior is making the choice to solve a problem or minimize an unwanted outcome. You might do something you don’t necessarily want to do or find a way to work around it. You’re adjusting to circumstances.

For example, an avid reader who is losing their eyesight might adapt by learning Braille or buying audiobooks. They find a way to continue enjoying books.

Maladaptive behavior would be not acknowledging vision loss or the need for change. It feels out of control and painful to think about, so no action is taken. They end up missing out on something they enjoy.

their brains are fighting back against the trauma unfolding around them by blocking out and refusing to acknowledge or see how bad things are getting

gremlins two
Aug 14, 2019

Stereotype posted:

i was just thinking that it's a good thing i have an oxygen cylinder that i was using for doing glass flameworking. i just need to get an oxygen mask or something now, just in case. it'll probably be fine though, all the hospitals are full but Governor "Kermit the Frog" Ige has expressed concern.

i've often wondered if i could use my old scuba tanks and regulator as some kind of home kit. any dive shop with a compressor should, theoretically, be able to fill a cylinder with pure O2 (they need it to mix nitrox, which isn't at all exotic). but then i realize i can't be the first person who thought of this, and there must be some reason it isn't done.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s 400000 degrees out but the AC beach was nice in a post civilization way. it was nice seeing kids play in the ruins of America’s capitulist hey day . lots of masks in AC btw which is nice

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

endocriminologist posted:

are the numbers supposed to do that

Go up?

lol yeah it’s the only thing number does

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
my favorite people that i have learned about during the pandemic are the ones who strongly distrust doctors and scientists and any professionals while putting their full faith in a youtube guy they saw linked on facebook who thinks that horse dewormer is effective because he's never heard of a horse that got covid. i wish i was them

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Bunch a number noobs in the Covid thread today :rolleyes:

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
https://www.amazon.com/ATMOBLUE-Electric-Mask-Demand-Filter/dp/B0981H3M5T

Let's say I already have one of these ATMOBLUE things that was given to me brand new. Is it worth a drat compared to what is being recommended in this thread? It has a HEPA H13 filter and a little motor.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

dont let that cat throw shade at you harry put one of respirators on em

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

mogwai posted:

i've often wondered if i could use my old scuba tanks and regulator as some kind of home kit. any dive shop with a compressor should, theoretically, be able to fill a cylinder with pure O2 (they need it to mix nitrox, which isn't at all exotic). but then i realize i can't be the first person who thought of this, and there must be some reason it isn't done.

I think the main reason it isn't done is just that in normal circumstances having a bigass cylinder of O2 around without a specific reason is a bad idea. It's just that these aren't normal circumstances.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

wait till the hear of worm dehorser

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

a lot of these people are going to force their own children into an early grave and when confronted with that fact simply say "nuh-uh"

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

ben shapino posted:

*looking at a line on a chart graph going straight up vertically off the page* seems bad

At this rate we will meet the previous high of 128k hospitalized… by August 29th. This is 3 days earlier than I said earlier in the week.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

A Bag of Milk posted:

https://www.amazon.com/ATMOBLUE-Electric-Mask-Demand-Filter/dp/B0981H3M5T

Let's say I already have one of these ATMOBLUE things that was given to me brand new. Is it worth a drat compared to what is being recommended in this thread? It has a HEPA H13 filter and a little motor.

lol what is this product

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

where is my secureclick meow meow?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

genericnick posted:

Not sure if we're in the same country, but here they still count three weeks after the first shot as vaccinated. Lol.

in the US we count everyone as fully vaccinated immediately after the second shot, because the trump admin couldn't figure out how to do the transformation in power bi and the Biden admin couldn't figure out how to do the transformation in Tableau

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Disemboweling myself so I can read the entrails to find the cure for Covid

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
i'm still confused about covid at lollapalooza. they had 385,000 attendees, which is about 14% of the population of chicago. the chicago metro area has reported somewhere around 20,000 cases of covid in the last 2 weeks (i'm just eyeballing the graph on covidactnow: https://covidactnow.org/us/metro/chicago-naperville-elgin_il-in-wi/?s=21681094).

now, i have no idea how many lolla attendees fly in from outside the chicagoland area; presumably at least some people would've caught covid at lolla and then flew back somewhere else. but presumably at least *some* attendees are local, to say nothing of the thousands of vendors, security guards, hotel staff, etc. who work and live in chicago and who served all the lolla attendees. it seems impossible to me that lolla wouldn't be a superspreader event, but cases in chicago are rising more slowly than in seattle, the bay area, los angeles, etc.

of course, we have no way of knowing how many asymptomatic cases that the event produced that aren't being tested at all, but it doesn't seem to track with what we know about the ratios of symptomatic vs. asymptomatic cases

basically, what the hell

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

euphronius posted:

wait till the hear of worm dehorser

https://twitter.com/SarahTaber_bww/status/1425264841472843777?s=19

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Crazypoops posted:

Disemboweling myself so I can read the entrails to find the cure for Covid

"my god... it was the dewormer... all along"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
goddamn, the pinned tweet of that nurse who was on CBS today

https://twitter.com/kathryniveyy/status/1330607852524867587

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

a lot of these people are going to force their own children into an early grave and when confronted with that fact simply say "nuh-uh"

yeah I told my sister to stop taking her 7 month old baby to the public pool and stuff like that and she said "oh come on babies barely get sick from covid if they even get it. And masks are crap and they don't even really work."

and I just gotta be like... okay. I don't get how she's worried enough to stay home and avoid working in the office but not worried enough to be safe in any other way

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

mod sassinator posted:

an article about psychology mentioned "maladaptive response" and it explains nearly everything about the normie ignorance to what's happening: https://www.healthline.com/health/maladaptive-behavior#maladaptive-thought-process

their brains are fighting back against the trauma unfolding around them by blocking out and refusing to acknowledge or see how bad things are getting

I have another Covid safe space chat I'm in where I was describing my adaptive behavior of finding safer hobbies to participate in to keep me sane, for example going to a VR rave instead of an in person rave. They said lol you sure you aren't just disassociating due to the PTSD, and I'm like 'no I disassociate regularly enough I know what that's like, this is just readjusting my expectations for what makes me happy'. Just because I decided to garden at home instead of going to a concert does not mean my brain is broken.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Ringo Roadagain posted:

funny that 2 months ago people were coming into this thread to call the thread regulars doomers and say they had mental issues. but here we are/ the cspam covid thread was right again

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Some good news at least - wife's school is mandating masks. Let the CO2 poisoning begin!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Aglet56 posted:

i'm still confused about covid at lollapalooza. they had 385,000 attendees, which is about 14% of the population of chicago. the chicago metro area has reported somewhere around 20,000 cases of covid in the last 2 weeks (i'm just eyeballing the graph on covidactnow: https://covidactnow.org/us/metro/chicago-naperville-elgin_il-in-wi/?s=21681094).

now, i have no idea how many lolla attendees fly in from outside the chicagoland area; presumably at least some people would've caught covid at lolla and then flew back somewhere else. but presumably at least *some* attendees are local, to say nothing of the thousands of vendors, security guards, hotel staff, etc. who work and live in chicago and who served all the lolla attendees. it seems impossible to me that lolla wouldn't be a superspreader event, but cases in chicago are rising more slowly than in seattle, the bay area, los angeles, etc.

of course, we have no way of knowing how many asymptomatic cases that the event produced that aren't being tested at all, but it doesn't seem to track with what we know about the ratios of symptomatic vs. asymptomatic cases

basically, what the hell

I'm too lazy to check but did last year's sturgis make a visible-on-charts effect before the point where you could look at a country wide map and see the literal ripple effect spreading outwards from ground zero

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Just chilling at home with a cup of coffee helping my little plants grow petting kitty

loving PSYCHO

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

My parents lived with copd for a decade before passing in 2019. I inherited 2 Invancare PerfectO2 oxygen concentrators so that when I get covid and the hospitals are full, I can put myself on oxygen. This is my bright spot. This is what counts as a positive thing in my life.

when will AIRbnb take up their true calling and allow for people to rent their O2 units in the home?

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I'm too lazy to check but did last year's sturgis make a visible-on-charts effect before the point where you could look at a country wide map and see the literal ripple effect spreading outwards from ground zero

not from my recollection, it was the same thing of "this seems bad, haha those fuckers" and then it wasn't until october that there was a clear view of the case spread from it

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Aglet56 posted:

basically, what the hell

most generously, it was a super spreader event, but self selected for young and highly vaccinated so case volumes etc are extremely down from something like sturgis

and you can point to lolla being relatively more outdoors, but that ignores after parties and the maskless public transportation

oh right, those after parties. cheaper than going to lolla itself, indoors, no vaccine requirement, drunker, and not going to be counted as connected to lolla but also wouldn't have happened without lolla

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

is she reading a Q drop verbatim or did she format her remarks as a Q drop?

is Q a Pontypool virus spreading through our nation's most cornfed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol so this is where we're at and it's not even mid august