Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

noted dramatic actor Paul rudd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

text me a vag pic posted:

The Spengler wand has such satisfying switches, I love it. I'm working on a new pack for the wand, but I'm waiting on a v-hook from etsy. As for the different modes: the new Hasbro Proton M.O.D. also has though sound modes. Wonder if they'll show up in the movie or if it's just cheaper to re-use the clips.

Nice! I really want a Proton Props pack with lights, sound and smoke.

Regarding Afterlife, there were more snarky jokes in the first trailer. There will be jokes, but as people have said they aren't pitching the comedy stuff after 2016.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The actual jokes in Ghostbusters are really all Murray's job, that's his function in the cast. Everything else that's funny comes from the characters who are written to be absurd and funny just by being themselves, they're not "trying" to make jokes. Like, Louis doesn't know he's being funny, he's just Louis.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Exactly or Egon being the straight guy so much in GB2 he had a slinky but he straightened it. It's a joke but it's not him joking.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I get what you all are saying, but I'm still not satisfied as to why a comedy movie sequel isn't being marketed as a comedy.

Is this gonna be like the last one, where you can't not like it without being lumped in with Gamergate freaks? I tried watching it and my spouse asked me to turn it off after 10-15 minutes.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Basebf555 posted:

The actual jokes in Ghostbusters are really all Murray's job, that's his function in the cast. Everything else that's funny comes from the characters who are written to be absurd and funny just by being themselves, they're not "trying" to make jokes. Like, Louis doesn't know he's being funny, he's just Louis.

Rick Moranis as Louis is probably the funniest part of II. He completely steals the courtroom scene.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

TL posted:

Rick Moranis as Louis is probably the funniest part of II. He completely steals the courtroom scene.

I love how they brought Louis back but then they couldn't fit him into much of the main plot so they also added MacNicol as like a second Louis.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I just watched II again last night for the first time in a few years, and, at first blush, I thought Moranis played Louis as a completely different character than he did in the first-much more nervous and less self assured. Then I realized, 90% of his scenes (the court room, asking Janine out, trying to be a Ghostbuster) are scenes when he's out of his element and extremely uncomfortable, so it does work. When he's telling the Snow White story to Oscar, that's very much in line with the Louis from the first movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea it's funny to think of Louis at the party from the first film as in his element, but he really was. He seems totally comfortable moving from person to person and making sure the brie is room temperature and greeting each guest at the door and taking their coats. He's goofy as hell but it's not because he's self-conscious or lacking confidence.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I get what you all are saying, but I'm still not satisfied as to why a comedy movie sequel isn't being marketed as a comedy.

Karloff posted:

They're leaning on the legacy stuff in the trailer because it's clearly a big part of the story and it's the director's son so it fits. The marketing is pitched away from the gags I suspect because they're probably spooked (pun intended) by the box office performance of the last film, which leant heavily on gags for its trailer.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Basebf555 posted:

Yea it's funny to think of Louis at the party from the first film as in his element, but he really was. He seems totally comfortable moving from person to person and making sure the brie is room temperature and greeting each guest at the door and taking their coats. He's goofy as hell but it's not because he's self-conscious or lacking confidence.

"I do mostly tax law and probate stuff occasionally. I got my law degree at night school." I mean, it's no wonder he'd never seen a judicial restrangement order and was nervous.

One does wonder what John Candy would have been like.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

"I do mostly tax law and probate stuff occasionally. I got my law degree at night school." I mean, it's no wonder he'd never seen a judicial restrangement order and was nervous.

I feel like Candy would've been just as good in some aspects but there's a physical element to Louis as a character that only Moranis can embody so completely. He's the ultimate nebbish, whereas Candy was like a big cuddly teddy bear.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

There isn't too much funny about the original 84 trailer. A lot of the jokes in Ghostbusters are only funny in context or delivery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hDkhw5Wkas

e:
hey wait i fixed the trailer now it s a comedy honk honk

text me a vag pic fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 13, 2021

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Dawgstar posted:

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like Candy would've been just as good in some aspects but there's a physical element to Louis as a character that only Moranis can embody so completely. He's the ultimate nebbish, whereas Candy was like a big cuddly teddy bear.

I think Basebf has got it. I think there is a quality to Moranis being a shrimpy kinda smaller guy that fits the role better than the bigger John Candy would have. Not to say that Candy would have been bad, and maybe that's just my love for how perfect I think GB84 is, but I agree with the idea that Moranis is still the better pick for the role.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

There isn't too much funny about the original 84 trailer. A lot of the jokes in Ghostbusters are only funny in context or delivery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hDkhw5Wkas
Do you know what a joke is? This trailer is full of jokes. Do you, like, not understand that the Very Serious Voiceover is for comedic effect?
lol what the gently caress is this dude

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Who looks at that Mini Puff scene from the trailer and thinks "but this is too serious for a Ghostbusters sequel" ?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I think Basebf has got it. I think there is a quality to Moranis being a shrimpy kinda smaller guy that fits the role better than the bigger John Candy would have. Not to say that Candy would have been bad, and maybe that's just my love for how perfect I think GB84 is, but I agree with the idea that Moranis is still the better pick for the role.

After I heard in the commentary that Candy wanted to play Louis Tully as German and breed Dachshunds or whatever... Rick Moranis was definitely the better choice. For as wild a normal guy as he is, and as wild as he gets to get when he's possessed, Louis grounds the film in the same way Dana does. He's weird, but ultimately harmless, and represents the normalcy that the Ghostbusters are both bucking against and trying to protect.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

Who looks at that Mini Puff scene from the trailer and thinks "but this is too serious for a Ghostbusters sequel" ?
It isn't too serious, it's just not funny

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Inkspot posted:

After I heard in the commentary that Candy wanted to play Louis Tully as German and breed Dachshunds or whatever... Rick Moranis was definitely the better choice. For as wild a normal guy as he is, and as wild as he gets to get when he's possessed, Louis grounds the film in the same way Dana does. He's weird, but ultimately harmless, and represents the normalcy that the Ghostbusters are both bucking against and trying to protect.

some issue of the IDW comic:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

some issue of the IDW comic:

Is this a comic based on Aykroyd's original 'they're busting ghosts on page 1' draft or something?

The problem I had with the first GB16 trailer was that it contained jokes, but none of them were actually funny. (The second got one vague smirk from me with the impotent proton pack stream gag, but everything else hit the floor like a wet turd.)

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Basebf555 posted:

I think there's definitely am aspect to him lacking confidence in the first. One of the best bits is him leaving his apartment to see what going on with this guy going to Dana's apartment and locking himself out, where he can't even really look at Peter, and just kind of stands by his door looking away. It's not like he's being his part self with a guy he doesn't know.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Payndz posted:

Is this a comic based on Aykroyd's original 'they're busting ghosts on page 1' draft or something?

no it's just a one page gag in the middle of an arc involving Gozer. the comic is loaded with stuff like that. Like gozer's last herald lookin like paul reubens in a suit.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

no it's just a one page gag in the middle of an arc involving Gozer. the comic is loaded with stuff like that. Like gozer's last herald lookin like paul reubens in a suit.

You're probably aware, but that was the original look. Nice!

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Inkspot posted:

Candy wanted to play Tully as a retread of his SCTV character Karl Bildenhausen.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

echopapa posted:

Candy wanted to play Tully as a retread of his SCTV character Karl Bildenhausen.

Of course it's impossible to say for sure without seeing how the final product would have looked, but drat, that doesn't feel like a good idea at all. Not compared to the Tully we got.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Of course it's impossible to say for sure without seeing how the final product would have looked, but drat, that doesn't feel like a good idea at all. Not compared to the Tully we got.

Yeah, that would be a prototype for 'funny character in skit, not for a whole movie' that most SNL movies suffered from.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Paul Rudd is in it and there are tiny Stay Puft men running amok so I don't think we have anything to worry about.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Taking my first step to becoming a Ghostbuster tomorrow. There will be a haunted hayride pulled behind a Ectomobile with terror dogs, Stay Puft, Slimer, and Vigo.

There will also be goat yoga at some point.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Apparently, the film has been somewhat privately screened at Cinemacon? Anyway, spoilers might be out there very soon.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Apparently, the film has been somewhat privately screened at Cinemacon? Anyway, spoilers might be out there very soon.

Yes, and while reviews are still embargoed, word of mouth is very good.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Although first reactions often lean towards praise, these feel sincere (standard Ben Mekler gags aside), which is exciting to see especially as so much cynicism has been thrown at this one.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Karloff posted:

Although first reactions often lean towards praise

this is a bit of an understatement imo but i'm hopeful regardless!

Violator
May 15, 2003

echopapa posted:

This is the first time I've seen Candy and realized just how big a man he was. Halfway through the clip when he's at the hardware store, he's towering over the other guy. Looking it up, he was 6'2" and with his weight he was a lot more imposing than I realized. For some reason I never felt that way when he was interacting with Aykroyd, Steve Martin, etc.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Violator posted:

This is the first time I've seen Candy and realized just how big a man he was. Halfway through the clip when he's at the hardware store, he's towering over the other guy. Looking it up, he was 6'2" and with his weight he was a lot more imposing than I realized. For some reason I never felt that way when he was interacting with Aykroyd, Steve Martin, etc.

Well it helps that both Aykroyd and Martin are 6 feet or taller(I think Aykroyd is a little over 6 feet). It's probably somewhat rare that you could put three famous comedians together in a room and they'd all be over 6 feet.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Courtesy of Dinosaur Dracula:

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

deoju posted:

After 4 years of working on it, and 30+ years of wanting one, I've just about completed my baby.

And the rest of the kit...

Super happy with it. Just waiting for my phone to ring. ;)

I'm avoiding spoilers like the plague, so if you have any comments, questions or anything please quote me. Otherwise I'll skim the thread for a bit and miss your post. :)

Just finished weathering a modded Rubie/Spirit pack with the Spengler wand. I must have ordered the new pack like a day after seeing your post.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Detroit Ghostbusters/All Elite Wrestling crossover only I wanted. And I made it happen over the weekend.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Just finished weathering a modded Rubie/Spirit pack with the Spengler wand. I must have ordered the new pack like a day after seeing your post.

First pic looks like you’re trying to recreate the OMNI cover.

Since we’re doing Gear Chat:

My pack was built by Sparky’s Prop Shop. I requested only light weathering and it does all the fancy things, lights, sounds, movie quotes, plays theme song and Savin the Day, plus the smoke exhaust after holding down the trigger long enough to activate the rumble mode “overheating” mode. Only thing is I wish the wand tip was telescopic. It’s largely 3D printed but I’ve been slowly replacing parts with metal / real components. GB prop building is so much fun. Sparky’s also made my (not 100% accurate) goggles. Trap is a modified Matty.

I’ve since replaced this suit with a 99% accurate one from Magnoli Clothiers plus correct elbow pads and some other improvements. I’m really hoping to be able to hit the premiere of Afterlife in full getup. I realize I might have to buy a ticket to keep my pack in the seat next to me.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
i see you remembered the pee tube
https://twitter.com/heybrucewright/status/1430307614517186567

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

gregday posted:

First pic looks like you’re trying to recreate the OMNI cover.

Since we’re doing Gear Chat:

My pack was built by Sparky’s Prop Shop. I requested only light weathering and it does all the fancy things, lights, sounds, movie quotes, plays theme song and Savin the Day, plus the smoke exhaust after holding down the trigger long enough to activate the rumble mode “overheating” mode. Only thing is I wish the wand tip was telescopic. It’s largely 3D printed but I’ve been slowly replacing parts with metal / real components. GB prop building is so much fun. Sparky’s also made my (not 100% accurate) goggles. Trap is a modified Matty.

I’ve since replaced this suit with a 99% accurate one from Magnoli Clothiers plus correct elbow pads and some other improvements. I’m really hoping to be able to hit the premiere of Afterlife in full getup. I realize I might have to buy a ticket to keep my pack in the seat next to me.

V. nice. I wish I didn't miss out on the Matty trap. At least it sounds like GB:A will normalize wireless traps so I'll be retroactively accurate!

Also, I wasn't trying to mimic the OMNI cover, that's just where I hang the pack up on my big orange wall.

YOU MEAN I COULDA BEEN PISSING MY PANTS THIS WHOLE TIME AND STILL BE IN CHARACTER???

text me a vag pic fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 25, 2021