Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he was moving well and looked like macho man up until probably about 1999 i thought. but i am sifting through the thoughts of a child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Didn't Macho actually do a lot of house shows with Flair that picked up business in WCW? I know the bigger guys definitely didn't do many house shows once the nWo period kicked into high gear.

He could definitely still go for a few more years. It seems like it would have been better to pull him off regular touring even sooner and give him a new finisher since the elbow drop killed his hip. I swear every weekly TV report in 1999 is Macho crushing another guy's windpipe or chest by landing with full force on his opponent (instead of his hip)

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Macho was good post WWF for me up until the NWO split, I remember him having good TV main events also Vince was dumb to let him go and take his Slim Jim deal with him

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I think Savage could've been used really well to put Bret, Shawn and others over before being shuffled down to commentary (I believe he offered to do so but Vince turned him down?). He was still over, which meant he was a precious commodity in the New Generation. I think WCW did a big WCW number on him: his booking was mostly bad, and the toxic environment could not have been good for someone who was as abusive and self-destructive as he was. That story of security being given the tasks of keeping him away from Liz and away from coke and being told that "you will fail at one of these tasks" is just grim.

Some of the Flair matches in WCW are pretty good, but others are just really really disappointing given the talent involved.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

he was a huge star that moved business and mindshare for wcw it's crazy to care about whether he could work matches

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

he was a huge star that moved business and mindshare for wcw it's crazy to care about whether he could work matches

Yeah, actually working matches is way less important than keeping him happy and drawing for you. Especially in the WWF. ESPECIALLY ESPECIALLY in the 1990s.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Eh numbers schmumbers!!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Given the way Randy liked to lay out matches even if he was limited in 93 he probably still could do fun matches especially with Brett or Shawn.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I think Savage could've been used really well to put Bret, Shawn and others over before being shuffled down to commentary (I believe he offered to do so but Vince turned him down?). He was still over, which meant he was a precious commodity in the New Generation. I think WCW did a big WCW number on him: his booking was mostly bad, and the toxic environment could not have been good for someone who was as abusive and self-destructive as he was. That story of security being given the tasks of keeping him away from Liz and away from coke and being told that "you will fail at one of these tasks" is just grim.

Some of the Flair matches in WCW are pretty good, but others are just really really disappointing given the talent involved.

This seems doubly weird when Hogan just bailed without putting Bret (or even Yokozuna, really) over at all. Having Savage put over the guys you listed would have at least been some sort of torch passing, seems weird to pass on it.

Then again, if Hulk is the one who came calling to patch things up with Macho and talk about all the money he could make in the main events at WCW, that's really hard to pass up.

The 1999-2000 newsletters always mention that Savage was gauging interest from other promotions and WWF had none, but it was presented in the same context as them having no interest in Nash, Luger, or any other high paid guys who would disrupt the locker room unity and pay scale. Never mentioned any particular animosity or "I WILL NOT WORK WITH THAT MAN" stuff at the time

Tato fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 13, 2021

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TL posted:

I kinda think Vince wasn't entirely wrong for trying to move Savage into an announcing/occasional wrestler role. His body might not have been broken down, but I'm struggling to think of any really good matches he had in WCW-maybe a couple with Flair? I think he was pretty clearly on the downswing as a worker and he'd best have been used in the role Vince saw him in.

He had a big hand in helping make DDP

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

smikey posted:

Didn't matter. Vince is always right, in his own mind. Vince would rather lose money on his idea than make money with someone else's.

What was the quote, Hogan made Vince a millionaire, Austin made him a billionaire, then Vince made himself a millionaire?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tato posted:

Didn't Macho actually do a lot of house shows with Flair that picked up business in WCW? I know the bigger guys definitely didn't do many house shows once the nWo period kicked into high gear.

I do seem to recall Macho was having not just house show matches but really good ones, yeah.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

savage vs ddp carried a ppv with no world title match on the card.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, Savage didn't really go to poo poo until very late in his run when his hip exploded. He was fine until then

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TL posted:

I kinda think Vince wasn't entirely wrong for trying to move Savage into an announcing/occasional wrestler role. His body might not have been broken down, but I'm struggling to think of any really good matches he had in WCW-maybe a couple with Flair? I think he was pretty clearly on the downswing as a worker and he'd best have been used in the role Vince saw him in.

Do you really think Vince cared about his match quality? Vincent Kennedy McMahon? He just assumed he was going to stop being a draw because he was "old", which was clearly loving dumb. Hell, even if you think he was done surely you use what's left of his star power to put over this New Generation but Savage's last televised WWF match was the Falls Count Anywhere win over Crush at WM X. Hell, his last major singles loss on TV was in September '92, dropping the World Title back to Flair, who dropped it to Bret because they didn't want to do a face vs face title swap.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

if AEW doesn't have CM Punk on tv next week, how bad would it hurt the company?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Manwithastick posted:

if AEW doesn't have CM Punk on tv next week, how bad would it hurt the company?

Short term not much, medium-long term? Probably pretty badly.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

They already have crowds hijacking segments with CM Punk chants, they probably don't want to keep going down that road

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
What are my legal options to watch AEW in Finland?

I don't think they've sold the local rights to anyone, so they're probably same as any other [generic EU country].

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Kennel posted:

I don't think they've sold the local rights to anyone, so they're probably same as any other [generic EU country].

Is the Fite.tv app an option? I just AEW+ and that means I can watch the Dynamite and Rampage shows the next day in good quality

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Kennel posted:

Click here: https://www.fite.tv/join/aew-plus/
If it doesn't say it's not available in your country on top (and lets you purchase it) that's probably the best way to do it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Thanks guys, started a free trial and works fine.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Seams posted:

I googled around a bit and it looks like he said it in the leadup to Survivor Series 97, which means it might've been a reference to the 'Age in the Cage' WCW match from Halloween Havoc 97.

Yeah, I always took it as a dig at Hogan and Piper, because I remembered them squabbling over which of them was the real "Icon."

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Cavauro posted:

he was moving well and looked like macho man up until probably about 1999 i thought. but i am sifting through the thoughts of a child
No, you're right. Everything changed in 1999 with the midlife crisis/hair transplants/master of the shoot elbow drop/Gorgeous George/Team Madness run.

Tato posted:

Yes, the Flair feud in early 1996 was what took WCW arena business from "hey, Zane Bresloff overhauled the live events department into something functional and our numbers are no longer completely embarrassing" to "actively good." As in it did significantly better business than the Hogan-Flair world tour from mid-late 1994. The nWo is what strapped the rocket to WCW, but the Savage-Flair feud planted the seeds for the boom.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Yeah, Savage pitched a feud with Shawn Michaels that was entirely designed to put Shawn over and make him a top guy. Vince vetoed it.

What's the source of the security story? That's a new one for me.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

davidbix posted:

What's the source of the security story? That's a new one for me.

You've never heard the story about new WWF hires being told their backstage job was to watch Savage, and that they were to prevent him abusing Elizabeth, and prevent him from doing cocaine, and then being told "You will fail at one of these tasks."

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

davidbix posted:

Yeah, Savage pitched a feud with Shawn Michaels that was entirely designed to put Shawn over and make him a top guy. Vince vetoed it.

Michaels vs Savage with Sherri caught in the middle would have been money.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He had a big hand in helping make DDP

I remember really enjoying the handful of matches they had, but I haven't gone back and watched them in years.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Zombie Lemur posted:

I remember really enjoying the handful of matches they had, but I haven't gone back and watched them in years.

I wonder if that's where Page got his tendency to want every bit of the match plotted from.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Dawgstar posted:

I wonder if that's where Page got his tendency to want every bit of the match plotted from.

Nah, he already was doing it, it's why he and Savage worked so well together, they'd lay everything out.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Davros1 posted:

You've never heard the story about new WWF hires being told their backstage job was to watch Savage, and that they were to prevent him abusing Elizabeth, and prevent him from doing cocaine, and then being told "You will fail at one of these tasks."

Pretty sure that story was from a goon who said his dad used to work security and was told that.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/dustinrhodes/status/1425537871474266112

We had a tournament for this that never finished due to some horrible horrible troll ruining it, but as it stood at the time who has left in the tournament and was this outcome seeming like the correct one or someone else still in the tournament?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Davros1 posted:

And someone had a darkly funny joke that went something like, "Well that's Vince's fault for putting Liz and the coke on opposite sides of the arena."

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

smikey posted:

Nah, he already was doing it, it's why he and Savage worked so well together, they'd lay everything out.

Yeah, Page was meticulously going over tape of his matches from the moment he debuted in the ring with WCW.

Foley and Austin apparently used to bust his balls about it.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Kennel posted:

Yep been watching via FITE all this time here in good ol Finland. Not without issues because FITE sucks, but Plus is a good deal and I’ll suffer FITE for it

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

a cyborg mug posted:

Yep been watching via FITE all this time here in good ol Finland. Not without issues because FITE sucks, but Plus is a good deal and I’ll suffer FITE for it
I dread the day AEW gets some lovely Finnish TV deal because I'm so used to watching the shows live and commercial-free. Fite's video and audio quality could be better and the live chat on the player page is so radioactive I adblocked their chat server, but not having to mess around with :filez: or a VPN or anything like that is really nice.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Davros1 posted:

google interview question: you have to transport randy savage, miss elizabeth, and a kilogram of cocaine across a river on your boat

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Lid posted:

https://twitter.com/dustinrhodes/status/1425537871474266112

We had a tournament for this that never finished due to some horrible horrible troll ruining it, but as it stood at the time who has left in the tournament and was this outcome seeming like the correct one or someone else still in the tournament?

You're thinking of the Worst Gimmick tournament, the "best wrestlers to never win gold" one ended properly https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3947323

Akira Hokuto beat out Owen Hart in the final, with Brodie Lee and Hirooki Goto as the runners-up.

Dustin Rhodes was nominated but didn't get far in the tournament. By his own admission, drug/weight problems torpedoed his chances at ever being a top guy. (Also even in the 90s, Goldust just was never a viable main event gimmick)

Benne fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 14, 2021

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Goto got further than Ishii? :psyduck:

At least he beat that dork SANADA

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

jesus WEP posted:

google interview question: you have to transport randy savage, miss elizabeth, and a kilogram of cocaine across a river on your boat

:sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Goto got further than Ishii? :psyduck:

At least he beat that dork SANADA

The argument was that Ishii was the better wrestler but Goto was a better potential top champion iirc