Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

is this a formerly Chuck's joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

Well well, look at the city slicker comin' in here with his armored humvee.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1425456787038298118?s=20

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

cursed

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
:nws::nws:

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

https://twitter.com/9NEWS/status/1426210605829066755?s=20

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Holy poo poo the balls on them!

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

The "invasion" (if it can be called that) of Afghanistan in 2001 was a wholly different animal from the invasion of Iraq in 2003. The Taliban was sheltering Osama bin Laden and its regime had zero redeeming qualities. I'm not a supporter of any kind of war, but if any nation circa 2001 deserved to get its government toppled, it was Afghanistan. The Taliban basically were the ISIS of their time and governed Afghanistan for 5 years and managed to piss off almost everyone including their own population due to their horrible level of cruelty and savagery. So portraying that campaign as yet another imperialist adventure of barely concealed corporated greed is, for once, kind of misleading. The whole "no nation building!" was super dumb though and even a moderately intelligent person back then could have predicted the situation it would lead to.

This is apparently the 1747 flag of Afghanistan - looks pretty neat, I think.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

Pope Hilarius II posted:

The "invasion" (if it can be called that) of Afghanistan in 2001 was a wholly different animal from the invasion of Iraq in 2003. The Taliban was sheltering Osama bin Laden and its regime had zero redeeming qualities. I'm not a supporter of any kind of war, but if any nation circa 2001 deserved to get its government toppled, it was Afghanistan. The Taliban basically were the ISIS of their time and governed Afghanistan for 5 years and managed to piss off almost everyone including their own population due to their horrible level of cruelty and savagery. So portraying that campaign as yet another imperialist adventure of barely concealed corporated greed is, for once, kind of misleading. The whole "no nation building!" was super dumb though and even a moderately intelligent person back then could have predicted the situation it would lead to.

shut the gently caress up

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pope Hilarius II posted:

sounds like a big ol' somebody else's problem, the usa should not be the world's cop

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Pope Hilarius II posted:

shut up

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The USA should have invaded Saudi Arabia if they needed to invade someone after 9/11

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Antonymous posted:

is this a formerly Chuck's joke

Rasheed's (Formerly Haq's).

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Pope Hilarius II posted:

behold, a liberal

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
yeah guys don't portray this way as corporate greed it was corporate greed AND unfocused bloodlust for revenge

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
A big difference is invading Afghanistan was done with a comprehensible argument that wasn't 100% deliberate lies by neocons and was extremely popular within the US -- and initially not super unpopular elsewhere. If Al Gore had been president he probably would have invaded Afghanistan. Invading Iraq was much more controversial and based on entirely made up lies, and the particular coalition of war profiteers, psychopaths, and murdering liars bankrolling the neocons might not have orchestrated the invasion under Gore. Maybe they would have, who knows, but the two wars are pretty different in background and execution. The neocons had no real interest in invading somewhere as poor and undeveloped as Afghanistan so they half-assed that war

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Pope Hilarius II posted:

they offered to give up bin laden but the us invaded anyway because they thought it would put pressure on iran. this is also why iraq was invaded.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

both wars were started under false pretenses, the popular narrative only acknowledges the iraq war as such

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

The Saucer Hovers posted:

both wars were started under false pretenses, the popular narrative only acknowledges the iraq war as such

What was the false pretense for invading Afghanistan? The Bush admin promised revenge against the country harboring Osama Bin Laden. There was a bunch of sugarcoating bullshit about liberating women and democratic elections etc. but everyone knew it was about revenge and deterrence.

ArmZ posted:

they offered to give up bin laden but the us invaded anyway because they thought it would put pressure on iran. this is also why iraq was invaded.

Yeah that was one reason too (surround Iran on all sides with puppets American allies). Nobody in the US in the fall of 2001 was going to accept the Taliban turning over OBL and call it a day. The entire country wanted blood

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

shut the gently caress up

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Pope Hilarius II posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9O94UTDAJQ

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

Pope Hilarius II posted:

The "invasion" (if it can be called that)

Lol

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

funny how we invaded Afghanistan over 911 but Saudi Arabia is still one of our closest allies in the region

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

StashAugustine posted:

funny how we invaded Afghanistan over 911 but Saudi Arabia is still one of our closest allies in the region

Dude that isn't funny :am:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Delthalaz posted:

A big difference is invading Afghanistan was done with a comprehensible argument that wasn't 100% deliberate lies by neocons and was extremely popular within the US -- and initially not super unpopular elsewhere. If Al Gore had been president he probably would have invaded Afghanistan. Invading Iraq was much more controversial and based on entirely made up lies, and the particular coalition of war profiteers, psychopaths, and murdering liars bankrolling the neocons might not have orchestrated the invasion under Gore. Maybe they would have, who knows, but the two wars are pretty different in background and execution. The neocons had no real interest in invading somewhere as poor and undeveloped as Afghanistan so they half-assed that war

If Al Gore had been president, 9/11 would never have happened.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Strange to think that in the 70's Osama Bin Laden would've been a cigarette smoking Communist and it was only the tide of history that pushed him into being a ultraconservative religious warrior.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Remember when the U.S. handed the Taliban $43 million and promised aid in return for them pretending to stop opium production, literally months before 9/11?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Imagine thinking for a second that America should be out there dealing with any other countries issues

You dumb fucks couldn’t even run an election without shootings and an attempted coup

gently caress off yanks

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Delthalaz posted:

The entire country wanted blood

i didnt

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

duz posted:

i didnt

I did.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Thispage.gif

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
https://twitter.com/zenophelion/status/1426279582399926277?s=19

I dunno where else to post this and i cant keep it to myself.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1426360103943421966?s=19

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Source your quotes

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Delthalaz posted:

What was the false pretense for invading Afghanistan? The Bush admin promised revenge against the country harboring Osama Bin Laden. There was a bunch of sugarcoating bullshit about liberating women and democratic elections etc. but everyone knew it was about revenge and deterrence.

Yeah that was one reason too (surround Iran on all sides with puppets American allies). Nobody in the US in the fall of 2001 was going to accept the Taliban turning over OBL and call it a day. The entire country wanted blood

Seems like an incredibly lovely rationale for invading and destabilizing a sovereign nation

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

duz posted:

i didnt

I didn’t either, and I stood around holding a sign like a jackass about it because I still had faith that those in charge gave a drat what people wanted. RIP liberal me from 20 years ago.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 25 minutes!

Pope Hilarius II posted:

gently caress you, idiot. Hundreds of thousands of people were murdered in Afghanistan. I can't conceive of a person so loving stupid they imagine there's some justification for innocent people being turned into blood mist by robots for a generation. I guess it's some consolation that you're so loving stupid you'll choke on your own tongue eventually

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Remember how the US was in Afghanistan for the noble and clear purpose of Revenge.

Then 10 years later, an assassin squad got revenge by killing bin Laden. In Pakistan.

Then spent 10 more years in Afghanistan murdering and plundering, only for the Taliban to immediately take back control anyway because nobody the US propped up could maintain the tiniest bit of legitimacy?

If only they had remembered why they were really there. Revenge on anyone with a turban, who was clearly in al-Qaeda and also in league with Saddam Hussein, the Ayatollah, and North Korea.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

remember how the cia used a vaccination program to spy on bin laden, catastrophically damaging public health in the region; and then it turned out they probably just got a tip from pakistani intelligence that had been holding him the whole time and the insanely evil vaccine poo poo was an attempt to save face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
lol how many of the people involved or hurt in Operation Fake Vaccines are also now covid antivaxxers because of it, making it so the US can further contribute to people dying?