Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
A lot of terfist rhetoric is based in the idea that trans people only started to exist/cause issues in the last 5 years.

Awful page snipe, Pratchetts books are good, people should check them out if they haven't.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
Hell, the language of trans identity has shifted dramatically as well! From cross-dresser to transsexual to transgender, etc, as older terms become outdated media, even well-meaning media, seems regressive.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

OPAONI posted:

Hell, the language of trans identity has shifted dramatically as well! From cross-dresser to transsexual to transgender, etc, as older terms become outdated media, even well-meaning media, seems regressive.

I think Matt Baume did a video on an episode of All in The Family where the family befriends a "male impersonator" (a drag queen) The general consensus was that it was Fair For Its Day

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Acerbatus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tONyeEcozrw

Mandalore did a system shock 2 video. I didn't know there was going to be an enhanced edition for it like 1, maybe that's why 3 isn't out instead of development hell? :iiam:

different developers

night dive studios is the one making the enhanced editions of ss1 and 2, and the remake of ss1 (and own the system shock name now)

ss3 is (or was) being made by otherside entertainment, which is some former looking glass devs who put out underworld ascendant, which was critically panned for being half-baked iirc. they ran out of money and sold the ss3 ip to tencent and may or may not be involved anymore

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

System Shock 3 released under the name 'Prey' for some reason, actually.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It's an extremely clear time capsule of 90s culture and attitudes. It's easy to forget how completely some aspects of culture have changed since then.

Yeah it's dated and insulting nowadays, because ultimately she is a pretty flat caricature and the comics constantly need to draw attention to her being trans and draw her in her underwear and poo poo. And then she's brutally killed for the angst of her cis friends. The thing is though the ending of the story very resoundingly affirms her identity is valid and respected by Death herself. Which is significant, both because it's showing one of the Endless respects who she is, and because Death is pretty consistently the most likeable and beloved character in the series. If she's on the side something, then that's clearly meant to signal something to the readers.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Aug 14, 2021

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Yardbomb posted:

System Shock 3 released under the name 'Prey' for some reason, actually.

Prey is so loving good.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Yeah my trans friend recently read through Sandman and HATED the arc.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

on my reread it reminded me a lot of Rent

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hZdOGB7Tgk

It's always heartwarming to see someone fight through and manage to come back to life after being cancelled. :unsmith:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I suppose the Sandman story probably hasnt aged well. But I feel Gaimans heart was at least in the right place.

RareAcumen posted:

It's always heartwarming to see someone fight through and manage to come back to life after being cancelled. :unsmith:

Outside of one mention this video is not even about that.
Though If I were here I probably wouldnt have even poked the hive's nest again at all.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Does anyone know if any other fiction from around that time treated trans people even as well as "A Game of You" did?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Kim Justice posted:

https://twitter.com/Caddicarus/status/1426199163197329411

Just to expand on this. The right decision of course, handled well.

For those who didn't see it the bit was indeed as Caddy said, and that's how it came across - not as a joke against trans people. But yeah, the usage of the actual word isn't good and obviously is what troubled people.

Caddy has always been trans positive, I think it's fair to put this one down to error and most people seem to be doing just that.

My favorite thing is the replies where several chuds are screaming "Dont apologize to the mob! They wont even accept it!" and every other comment is a trans person saying "Apology accepted! Thank you so much for saying sorry :)"

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Wow, I guess apologizing and admitting you made a mistake is actually a lot better than doubling down and claiming people demanding apologies are acting in bad faith. Shocking

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Yeah Caddy isn't a hateful person, he was pointing out the joke being at the expense of trans people with the crossdresser line in a children's film. Still shouldn't have used the t slur though but I'm glad he's apologising instead of doubling down.

Jamie Faith posted:

My favorite thing is the replies where several chuds are screaming "Dont apologize to the mob! They wont even accept it!" and every other comment is a trans person saying "Apology accepted! Thank you so much for saying sorry :)"

They really want their faves to be able to sling around slurs.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://twitter.com/RozKaveney/status/1107746042848645120?s=19

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
does neil gaiman ever see his kid

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

RareAcumen posted:

the most shocking thing about this video is that anglo-americans aren't taking off their shoes indoors

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

fun hater posted:

I think he and Amanda Palmer made up? Which is good because they’re the perfect hell for each other and should never be allowed to inflict themselves on others.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

the most shocking thing about this video is that anglo-americans aren't taking off their shoes indoors
What? Like really what? Is this a coastal thing? Everyone I've ever known has a big pile of shoes by the entrance of their house/apartment.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nuns with Guns posted:

I think he and Amanda Palmer made up? Which is good because they’re the perfect hell for each other and should never be allowed to inflict themselves on others.

His kids are from his previous, normal-person wife.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

he had one with palmer

Nuns with Guns posted:

lol if true

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

They are free from him.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

fun hater posted:

I'm not even that familiar with their work but I keep getting Neil Gaimon and Gail Simone mixed up when I read their names here.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

What? Like really what? Is this a coastal thing? Everyone I've ever known has a big pile of shoes by the entrance of their house/apartment.

I just live with the assumption that a lot of people really like to have to constantly wash their floors and feet

no easy cleaning jobs for them, they've gotta scrub!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

fun hater posted:

he had one with palmer

lol if true

Poor kid. Even if they split up, one of them still ends up with custody. I’d probably choose Gaiman and hope I could build a relationship with his ex and other kids and maybe escape into their family. Gaiman’s parents are leaders of the UK branch of scientology, so grandparents are right out.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Acerbatus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tONyeEcozrw

Mandalore did a system shock 2 video. I didn't know there was going to be an enhanced edition for it like 1, maybe that's why 3 isn't out instead of development hell? :iiam:

i am glad i am not the only one who finds some of the voice acting/audio mixing loving legit uneveving and scary as gently caress even today. i have a hot take that some times amtuer voice work can be better then professional in some instances(like for audio logs and NPC stuff) because its makes it feel more "real" i guess. idk how to explaining

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIqqQEFOO3s&t
i guess i will CW this. i am not sure what but some of this poo poo gets kinda hosed up audio acting wise, even for me.

like listen to some of these because some of these are legit spooky, especially the dude slowly going insane inside the body of the many.

Kim Justice posted:

https://twitter.com/Caddicarus/status/1426199163197329411

Just to expand on this. The right decision of course, handled well.

For those who didn't see it the bit was indeed as Caddy said, and that's how it came across - not as a joke against trans people. But yeah, the usage of the actual word isn't good and obviously is what troubled people.

Caddy has always been trans positive, I think it's fair to put this one down to error and most people seem to be doing just that.

i missed this because i havent watched him in awhile. but its cool that he is owning up to loving up and trying to do better. plus like you said. i remember him being pretty good with that kinda stuff in general.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I live in the South - it's kind of 50/50 if someone wants me to take off my shoes when I visit their house.

Nobody I know wears shoes in the house unless it's specifically a house shoe.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

fun hater posted:

lol if true

There will be an easter egg in the live action Sandman series where Morpheus is walking through hell and Gaiman and Palmer are in adjacent hell cells, passive aggressively posturing on social media about each other.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Wanda arc likely didn’t age well, being a trans story written by a cis man in the 90s, but the point is Gaiman’s intent and the fact he knew transgender people existed thirty years ago. That takes the wind out of any narrative that nobody could know about trans folk prior to like, 2015 or something.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Grew up in Texas, and you took your shoes off if you’d gotten them really dirty outside (like, mud-on-your-boots situations). You’d never ask a guest to take off their shoes before entering your home because you wouldn’t insinuate that your guests were wearing filthy shoes. Similarly, if you were going to be a guest in someone’s home you wouldn’t go over there wearing the same shoes you’d just used to walk through a cow pasture.

It definitely took me a while to get used to going over to houses where they asked guests to take off their shoes. It felt a bit like someone handing you a breath mint before you could talk to them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

For other bad examples before SJWs invented caring about things for clout in 2013 (The only reason people who disagree with me exist), look at Capcom character Poison and Paper Mario 2 character Vivian.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkuQ78xb-Fg

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i have a hot take that some times amtuer voice work can be better then professional in some instances(like for audio logs and NPC stuff) because its makes it feel more "real" i guess. idk how to explaining

I follow. You can potentially get some extra verisimilitude if random audiolog dude sounds like an actual random dude and not a practiced actor doing one of their stock random dude voices. The trouble usually comes from giving those folks heavier stuff to carry, since then they're lacking the "acting" part of voice acting.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am glad i am not the only one who finds some of the voice acting/audio mixing loving legit uneveving and scary as gently caress even today. i have a hot take that some times amtuer voice work can be better then professional in some instances(like for audio logs and NPC stuff) because its makes it feel more "real" i guess. idk how to explaining

i agree but it becomes a problem when its like the one he uses as an example in the video where the audio log is like "gee whillickers i was so frightened" while the guy talks with a flat monotone

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

OPAONI posted:

There's a lot of young people who are unaware that words change meaning over time, or that a slur today may have been the polite term a few decades prior. I recall someone months back in the thread who was convinced a a guy writing a hundred year ago was double-hitler because he referred to black people with what was actually the respectful term at the time but had since become a mild slur.

You just kinda have to do a mental translation for the times, and/or infer it from when the story is treating a character with respect.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

CYBEReris posted:

on my reread it reminded me a lot of Rent

What a strong condemnation! I can’t think of a worse thing to be compared to

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There was a garden grove on Citadel-Cit-Cit-Citadel Station...

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

0 rows returned posted:

different developers

night dive studios is the one making the enhanced editions of ss1 and 2, and the remake of ss1 (and own the system shock name now)

ss3 is (or was) being made by otherside entertainment, which is some former looking glass devs who put out underworld ascendant, which was critically panned for being half-baked iirc. they ran out of money and sold the ss3 ip to tencent and may or may not be involved anymore

They're also quietly working on a VR mode for the ss2 remaster and are saying all the right things about taking influences from eg Alyx (lifting the "teleporting items to your hand" concept, fully modelling weapons in-world, manual reloading etc).

Fingers crossed it goes somewhere and actually comes out:
https://twitter.com/NightdiveStudio/status/1348348791372480513

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

jackofarcades posted:

Yeah my trans friend recently read through Sandman and HATED the arc.

No one really likes a Game of You.