Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I never played the first one but Axiom Verge 2 is neat - the drone is rad but a little too strong IMO. It's weird being able to deploy an expendable self-replenishing drone that can fight and explore in a metroidvania game, but also very cool - like when you come to a new crossroads instead of having to pick a direction and go, you can park yourself in the middle and deploy drones to explore the side paths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Ciaphas posted:

I was thinking that it's turning out to be a pretty superficial comparison, yeah :v:

Definitely fun though! Dig the music, the art, the writing (typos aside), though the combat's still kinda difficult (especially right now - I just got fast travel, so uh, spoilers - but anyway)

Combat seems to be more about avoiding damage than anything else and getting yourself into a position where you can attack easily but the enemy can't. I haven't found it too difficult so far, plus death is not that big a deal the things you did before you died stay done and you just return to a save point which are plentiful for the most part. I beat that big owl thing first try by just getting up its face and smashing it with an ice hook and paying attention to avoid his various attacks.

Sometimes you do get mobbed a bit, it's hard to fight a bunch of guys at once and the boomerang is not very easy to aim or control at all

deep dish peat moss posted:

I never played the first one but Axiom Verge 2 is neat - the drone is rad but a little too strong IMO. It's weird being able to deploy an expendable self-replenishing drone that can fight and explore in a metroidvania game, but also very cool - like when you come to a new crossroads instead of having to pick a direction and go, you can park yourself in the middle and deploy drones to explore the side paths.

I keep forgetting to use the little dude like that, but you're right it effectively doubles your combat potential on any given trip.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/jackbox-party-2021

$20 for

Jackbox Party Pack 1
Jackbox Party Pack 2
Jackbox Party Pack 3
Jackbox Party Pack 4
Jackbox Party Pack 5
Jackbox Party Pack 6
40% off coupon for Jackbox Party Pack 7
Drawful 2
Fibbage XL
The entire You Don't Know Jack Collection

to say this is a good bundle is an understatement. you will never have a quiet night with friends again

.random
May 7, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

to say this is a good bundle is an understatement.
Wow sounds good! :unsmith:

quote:

you will never have a quiet night with friends again

quote:

with friends

Oh :smith:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Welp, I 100%d Death's Door, something I pretty much never do. I used a guide for the postgame stuff, and I nearly decided to call it quits and just watch the secret ending online when all I had left were those seed pots, but I persevered! Fantastic game, despite some Souls trappings it's much more forgiving and pretty much just a straigh-up Zelda with some excellent boss fights. Remarkably polished for a modern indie title, too.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/jackbox-party-2021

$20 for

Jackbox Party Pack 1
Jackbox Party Pack 2
Jackbox Party Pack 3
Jackbox Party Pack 4
Jackbox Party Pack 5
Jackbox Party Pack 6
40% off coupon for Jackbox Party Pack 7
Drawful 2
Fibbage XL
The entire You Don't Know Jack Collection

to say this is a good bundle is an understatement. you will never have a quiet night with friends again

I hate that I only need Jackboxes 4-7 so most of the bundle feels like it's going to waste. But I got the previous ones from an earlier Humble Bundle as well so I guess it's alright.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Mordja posted:

Welp, I 100%d Death's Door, something I pretty much never do. I used a guide for the postgame stuff, and I nearly decided to call it quits and just watch the secret ending online when all I had left were those seed pots, but I persevered! Fantastic game, despite some Souls trappings it's much more forgiving and pretty much just a straigh-up Zelda with some excellent boss fights. Remarkably polished for a modern indie title, too.

Maybe you can help me out a bit.

I just went through the third dungeon to unlock the chest, get the hookshot and used the hookshot to get the greatsword. But now I can't for the life of my figure out where to go, I've wandered through every room I can access it seems and can't find anything to unlock or do, I used the hookshot in a couple rooms but it didn't get me real progress, just allowed me to access some pickups. Any chance you know where I should go from here? Do I need to backtrack further or is the answer in the same dungeon? Don't worry about spoiling me I don't care just wanna know how to advance before I quit the game because not finding the way forward is getting real annoying.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Play posted:

I just went through the third dungeon to unlock the chest, get the hookshot and used the hookshot to get the greatsword. But now I can't for the life of my figure out where to go, I've wandered through every room I can access it seems and can't find anything to unlock or do, I used the hookshot in a couple rooms but it didn't get me real progress, just allowed me to access some pickups. Any chance you know where I should go from here? Do I need to backtrack further or is the answer in the same dungeon? Don't worry about spoiling me I don't care just wanna know how to advance before I quit the game because not finding the way forward is getting real annoying.

Dungeon spoilers:

You've almost certainly missed a locked door in the castle keep where you find the hookshot magic. You need to explore the keep and light four fires to unlock the elevator to the next area where the giant soul is. You can use the hookshot for example to get to the upper right side of the central room, where Barb is.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Is there any possibility that gyro controls in a wireless switch pro controller do not work when it is used wired? The obvious google searches aren't helping

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Mescal posted:

Is there any possibility that gyro controls in a wireless switch pro controller do not work when it is used wired? The obvious google searches aren't helping

When plugged in, the pro controller works exactly the same as not plugged in.

The only exception is if you enable the “communicate through usb” option, in which case the amiibo reader won’t work.

Edit: oh this is the Steam thread?! My above answer is regarding Switch.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

From that Jackbox bundle thingy, which are the games where not knowing the English language isn't a barrier?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Saoshyant posted:

From that Jackbox bundle thingy, which are the games where not knowing the English language isn't a barrier?

I think the entire concept pretty much resolves around "getting it" and the entire thing is wrapped in english jokes so its a bit hard, but there are some more chill things. My wife and I enjoyed Fibbage the most. Your phones autocorrect can help not to be spotted immediately if you set it to EN or have spelling correction active at least.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

related question has anyone ever tried Jackbox with a remote setup? In theory it should work but I wonder if it would be a good experience.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

haldolium posted:

related question has anyone ever tried Jackbox with a remote setup? In theory it should work but I wonder if it would be a good experience.

I’ve run goon games over Twitch before and it was fine. Though the 3-5 second delay will throw off the timers. If someone butts up against the clock constantly to submit answers it wouldn’t be a fun time. I would imagine other remote setups would give you the same experience.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I did a lot of Jackbox 1 over Skype way back in the day. With Zoom becoming a universal skill and Share Desktop With Sound becoming a default feature instead of an obscure thing you hack together with hidden settings and downloaded freeware it's easier than ever to play Jackbox with remote people. There's a lag but its better than Streaming as Platform options like Twitch and only really comes into play in the head to head trivia sorts of games. A lot of games give you everything you need on your browser session too.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Play posted:

All the areas are completely sequential with backtracking only being used for secrets and upgrades and stuff. You're trying to activate an elevator in the central room, try checking out the outdoors, snowy areas first and be on the lookout for switches. As Humerus said, this section marks the return of lighting stuff on fire, and all of the braziers are located in the sort of museum rooms about the former Lords. Also: talk to Barb, I think she actually gives you hints on where to go.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

So far in Axion Verge 2 (I'm in the section where you lose your body and have to play as only the drone), almost all enemies, including (mini?)bosses can be stunlocked by just standing in their face with the drone and attacking repeatedly :kiddo: When an enemy takes damage there's a slight window where it shows a hit reaction animation and that will cancel any ongoing attack animations. Every enemy attack animation in the game is very long and the drone attacks very fast and there have been a single digit number of attacks I've noticed so far that did not get cancelled by a hit.

I've essentially been ignoring my human body except when it's needed to progress but this is making the combat way too easy so I may need to stop myself

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I picked up Nightmare Reaper since it was on sale. Gotta say, I'm having a blast with this game, and I'm not just saying that because I got sticky bombs as my first legendary weapon (seriously, these things are kinda broken and I don't think I'm going to ever give them up).

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The drone in AV1 was neat, but slow and weak and didn't jump very high. Still it was useful to get some sightly out of reach powerups and became awesome with the ability to teleport Trace to the drone .

I guess the drone is a lot more competent in AV2. I still primarily explore with Indra. Both games support save-quit warping which is always helpful. In AV1 there's a well known sequence break that works by save-quit warping only if you don't save past a point of no return until you get a necessary progression item.

So far in AV2 I've encountered some bugs. None fatal and Tom is responsive about fixing them. For AV1 he had a policy of not fixing bugs that could be exploited for speedrunning as long as they were unlikely to break the game for a casual player. I wonder if he'll do the same here.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It's the dark souls of from software

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

haldolium posted:

I've played many Jackbox games over Zoom in the past 18 months. It works well for the majority of games, a couple of the minigames work better when everyone is in the room but the best ones work fine over remote imo.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Mescal posted:

I've only ever used my Switch controller wired on PC (my PC doesn't have bluetooth) and I've had no problems with using gyro controls.

Double check your controller configs, I guess.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What is Jackbox?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Each is a collection of usually trivia or party game-style minigames for groups of two or more. They're pretty sassy and the narrator/host voice seems like a cool guy.

The early You Don't Know Jack games were I think explicitly just trivia, but the newer ones - Jackbox - are the collections of party games, always with at least one trivia-based one like the originals but also sometimes with drawing or wordplay, they're pretty varied.

They're a lot of fun! The ones from the last decade have players use smartphones or computers or whatever and go to a URL to join the "room" to actually enter answers or draw or whatever, while the game itself plays out on the TV/PC. It kinda sounds stupid at first but it works really well with guests or friends.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 14, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
we've been playing them in byob on friday nights, Tee KO is probably the most fun one, everyone draws random crap and then types weird junk and someone else combines them to make t-shirts and you vote on them, tournament style.
https://games.jackbox.tv/artifact/TeeKOGame/5ef12fed82c0a965a9e7efa7931ce327/

I think it's more fun at a real party and friends but through discord or wherever you congregate works well for a bunch of games, even without voice or anything.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Peewi posted:

I've only ever used my Switch controller wired on PC (my PC doesn't have bluetooth) and I've had no problems with using gyro controls.

Double check your controller configs, I guess.

you can buy a usb bluetooth dongle for like 8 bucks on amazon
unless you're still running windows 7 which has hosed up bluetooth support somehow

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Mortal Shell is coming out on Steam this week after its Epic exclusivity ends. It is the best distillation of the Dark Souls formula I have played and I recommend it to anyone who enjoyed one of the Souls games at any point, but particularly earlier in the series (DeS/DS1/DS2 era). The Harden mechanic that replaces shields is the best piece of mechanical iteration the genre has ever seen, it has wonderfully designed areas, it's beautiful, it's exciting to explore and there are lots of neat hidden secrets all around the world. The only downside is that it's smaller, shorter and more streamlined than a typical Souls game but that works in its favor imo

Here's 15 commentary-free minutes of my blind playthrough on ps4 last year that shows off most of what I like about the game, if you don't mind watching me abuse jump attacks a whole lot. It features the first boss of one of the different branches of zones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fr7Hgxz9aw

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 14, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Clearing my backlog of games by going through random, currently installed games found these four I can't remember ever buying or even seeing mentioned, so likely part of a game bundle or a steam sale 90% discount.

Always Sometimes Monsters: Looks interesting, but completely failed to engage me after 10 mins. The RPGmaker-ish aesthetic is hard for me to get past, and while the game seems to have quite a lot of praise and love for its story and writing, I'm just not feeling it. Maybe it really is a great story but the plot and the subject matter are something I really can't enjoy or get into. The whole idea of chasing down your ex to win them back when they're about to get married is....problematic to me. I get the impression there's more complexity to that, but with all games available to me to play I'm not going to play one like this.

Monster Loves You: A cute quirky CYOA game that would be a fun time killer on a mobile device.

A Wild Catgirl Appears: One of those sketch looking romance VNs where within the first 5 minutes you can tell the quality is pretty bad just from the amount of errors in the text. Bland and generic in all the ways; it seems like it was set up as a queer romance VN in hopes of extra sales from the category tags because otherwise it's got literally nothing interesting going on.

Elegy for a Dead World: Some senior design project set up as a game. Currently broken as the intended purpose was for players to ad-lib short stories from various prompts while wandering the set-pieces and then share them online, but the online feature no longer works. Kind of a cool idea but literally not worth playing now that it's core mechanic isn't functioning.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am playing Axiom Verge 1 and I really like it! However, I hate that weapons (or at least the ones I have) come in three flavors:

1. Not terrible but the default gun is better
2. Situational
3. Utter garbage

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Unlucky7 posted:

I am playing Axiom Verge 1 and I really like it! However, I hate that weapons (or at least the ones I have) come in three flavors:

1. Not terrible but the default gun is better
2. Situational
3. Utter garbage

Did you get Kilver yet? (green short range ball that goes through walls) It is the best and strongest weapon in the game.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The weapons system in AV1 doesn't really work like later Metroids where there's a strict progression in terms of power.

There's 21 (IIRC) weapons of which 18 are obtainable in any playthrough. Each weapon has some novelty associated with it, but they're not necessarily clearly stronger than others, they just appeal to different players based on which of your Contra or Rygar nostalgia is stronger.

While I personally find 5-6 or so to be useful, there's only three required to beat the game. One of those is the Kilver which is the DPS weapon of choice.

Now, AV1 does have range and size node collectibles that do make your weapons stronger. In fact, backtracking for collectibles in AV1 is more important than most Metorids because instead of just getting ammo capacity boosts they make your character stronger, for which the later regions are balanced assuming you've found most of them.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Mortal Shell is coming out on Steam this week after its Epic exclusivity ends. It is the best distillation of the Dark Souls formula I have played and I recommend it to anyone who enjoyed one of the Souls games at any point, but particularly earlier in the series (DeS/DS1/DS2 era). The Harden mechanic that replaces shields is the best piece of mechanical iteration the genre has ever seen, it has wonderfully designed areas, it's beautiful, it's exciting to explore and there are lots of neat hidden secrets all around the world. The only downside is that it's smaller, shorter and more streamlined than a typical Souls game but that works in its favor imo

Here's 15 commentary-free minutes of my blind playthrough on ps4 last year that shows off most of what I like about the game, if you don't mind watching me abuse jump attacks a whole lot. It features the first boss of one of the different branches of zones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fr7Hgxz9aw

Mortal Shell kicks rear end, I liked it a ton

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The rest of the year's big seasonal sales dates have leaked out.

Halloween: 28 October - 1 November
Autumn: 24 November - 30 November
Winter: 22 December - 5 January

Also a "Digital Tabletop Fest" event is under preparation for 21-25 October, similar to the one from last year but with a focus on RPGs.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Jesus Christ, Forza Horizon 3 desperately did not want me to play it and just skip straight to 4/5 apparently.

I've tried to get into FH3 probably 10 times now but it would crash consistently during its painfully long and frustratingly unskippable tutorial sequence of races and story garbage, tried every fix I could think of and I'm officially loving done attempting to get that pile of poo poo stable, I'm a bit sad about it too cause I really wanted to try that Hot Wheels expansion.

Then I remembered I still have gamepass and can try 4, managed to get through the entire tutorial and then some without a single crash!

But, I kind of hate driving around Britain lol, it feels like I've done so a bajillion times now with all of the video games set there.

It's cool that it seems more stable though, here's hoping 5 will be too cause holy wow do I want to drive around Mexico something fierce.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Forza horizon 4 has more than enough stuff to tide you over until November when 5 comes out. Even just doing the weekly forzathon stuff is fun.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Horizon 4 rules but yeah every time I go back to it I'm kinda over the setting. loving stoked for FH5 though :dance:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Deakul posted:

But, I kind of hate driving around Britain lol, it feels like I've done so a bajillion times now with all of the video games set there.

Apart from Watch Dogs Legion which I didn't play because it looked garbage, what other games are set in modern Britain? Especially outside of London. Genuinely curious because i can't think of any.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Aphex- posted:

Apart from Watch Dogs Legion which I didn't play because it looked garbage, what other games are set in modern Britain? Especially outside of London. Genuinely curious because i can't think of any.

The Getaway and The Getaway Black Monday, though they’re London, that was the PS2. Also Legion is good so long as you enjoyed Watch Dogs 2.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Contradiction. Everyone's Gone to the Rapture - though actually that's set in the 80s I think. There doesn't seem to be a glut of em or anything.

e: Not Tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Notably most of them don’t feature driving.