Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

smackfu posted:

They repaved a nearby road, and they haven’t put the traffic markings like stop bars on yet. Wherever they need to put them on, they roughly spray painted a line, but there is also another line scored in the pavement in the same place. Does anyone know what the process is there?

I know a couple reasons to mill pavement. It’s done to obliterate old markings or prepare a weathered surface so paint will adhere strongly to it. Neither of those seem applicable here.

Cichlidae in the traffic engineering thread would know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

smackfu posted:

They repaved a nearby road, and they haven’t put the traffic markings like stop bars on yet. Wherever they need to put them on, they roughly spray painted a line, but there is also another line scored in the pavement in the same place. Does anyone know what the process is there?

Pavement markings placed on fresh asphalt tend to soak up oil from the bitumen, and thus turn yellow. The solution used here is to put down temporary markings (or leave the road unpainted) until a couple weeks have passed. While ideally the temporary markings would meet the same standard that permanent markings do, it's common practice to just put down spraypaint marks or little squares of reflective tape every hundred feet or so. As for the scoring, that's a recessed groove that protects the final markings from road wear, especially plows. It's not particular deep, only about as deep as a US quarter, but that's plenty to keep the markings fresh for about twice their normal lifetime. You'll see the final pavement markings laid down in the scored areas.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Maybe some science goon can answer a question about indoor humidity

The AC went out at my house and I have to wait a while for a new HVAC system to be installed. It's murderous hot out so I got a couple of window unit air conditioners to keep the place bearable in the meantime.

The units work okay, but for some reason this has made the inside of my house unreasonably humid. Like 80% humidity, even when it's 50% outside.

What in the world would cause such a thing?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

What do you think Bill Cosby's legacy will be, say in 20-30 years?

It should go without saying that he's a despicable person and I in no way support him. It's also undeniable that he's one of the most important comics of all time.

I ask because if we look at other terrible but talented people, the talent seems to win out sooner or later. Richard Wagner was a huge anti-semite and all around terrible human being. He's also one of the "big 3" opera composers and every major opera house will perform his operas regularly.

Louis CK is probably the best stand up of his generation. His show Louie was one of my all time favorite shows. And he's releasing new material, but it's very uncomfortable for me to listen to and I can't imagine going back and watching his show again.

John Lennon definitely cheated on his wife and allegedly beat women, and never really took a hit to his reputation. Any classic hits radio station has no problem playing Imagine.

Roman Polanski might be the closest parallel -- he, like Cosby, raped a woman (in his case an underage girl) and from what I can tell his current reputation is "well, he's a garbage person but his films are still of value and worth watching". So, will that happen to Bill Cosby eventually? I find it hard to imagine. I can't imagine watching Himself ever again even though watching it in 2008 with my then gf, who had never seen it and only knew Cosby from his tv show, is a great memory. She was laughing so hard she almost threw up. So, given another couple of decades, will people say "eh, he's a terrible person but the work still has value"? Seems hard to imagine.

This might be a better topic for GBD or D&D but thought I'd ask here first.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

The AC went out at my house and I have to wait a while for a new HVAC system to be installed. It's murderous hot out so I got a couple of window unit air conditioners to keep the place bearable in the meantime.

The units work okay, but for some reason this has made the inside of my house unreasonably humid. Like 80% humidity, even when it's 50% outside.

Are they set to remove humidity, and are they angled properly to drain? If so, do you have an appropriate BTU strength for your rooms?

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

Does anyone know the steps to take in order to have an Amazon affiliate account? I’m not sure what it’s called, but I’m thinking of when folks have links to Amazon products on their website and they get a small kickback.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

devilmonk posted:

Does anyone know the steps to take in order to have an Amazon affiliate account? I’m not sure what it’s called, but I’m thinking of when folks have links to Amazon products on their website and they get a small kickback.

I think you sign up via this link:
https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/

There are some restrictions:

EDIT:

Also this:

quote:

You must drive at least three qualified sales within 180 days in order to avoid termination of your Associate account.

Slimy Hog fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 12, 2021

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

Pavement markings placed on fresh asphalt tend to soak up oil from the bitumen, and thus turn yellow. The solution used here is to put down temporary markings (or leave the road unpainted) until a couple weeks have passed. While ideally the temporary markings would meet the same standard that permanent markings do, it's common practice to just put down spraypaint marks or little squares of reflective tape every hundred feet or so. As for the scoring, that's a recessed groove that protects the final markings from road wear, especially plows. It's not particular deep, only about as deep as a US quarter, but that's plenty to keep the markings fresh for about twice their normal lifetime. You'll see the final pavement markings laid down in the scored areas.

Thanks! Makes sense.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

regulargonzalez posted:

The thing about Cosby that rubs people the wrong way now are his bits on wonderful his marriage was and how much he respects and loves his wife.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

regulargonzalez posted:

I can't speak for the internal culture of stand-up comics, but I don't think Cosby is relevant even now as a comic, only for the Cosby Show, and actually watching the Cosby Show with his behavior in mind is pretty uncomfortable for a lot of people, and probably should be.
I think in a class about the development of TV and sitcoms and the influence of culture in the 80s into the 90s, the Cosby Show is going to be pretty relevant, and will still be shown, but I really doubt it'll be watched or binged as entertainment in the future.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Do you really think so? My memory is that prior to everything that happened he was considered one of the giants, in the pantheon with Carlin, Lenny Bruce, Pryor, maybe one or two others. Young comics would talk about playing his records over and over again when they were kids, things like that.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Again, I can't speak for the internal culture of comics, but I think Pryor or Carlin are much more relevant currently. I don't want to use the word "influential," because Cosby's certainly still influential now, but I think it's in a more indirect way. People who are young right now can find Pryor or Carlin and have it resonate with them, but I don't think people currently resonate with Cosby's own stand-up material itself.
There's definitely going to be exceptions. Maybe I should say "I don't think many people currently resonate" or something, or that significantly fewer will than with Pryor or Carlin.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I get what you're saying and you're right that the current state of comedy is more in line with Carlin and Pryor. My line of thinking was more along the lines of, Bob Hope, Jerry Lewis, and George Burns are not culturally relevant the way George Carlin is but are still respected and probably to some degree studied. I can't imagine that being the case now with Cosby, even though his comedy chops were at least on their level. And if it were possible to watch neutrally, Himself is still (in a vacuum) one of the funniest standup sets of all time. I wonder if it will be forever tarnished despite any technical merits, ala Birth of a Nation or the works of Leni Riefenstahl, or if it will be appreciated with the caveat of what a terrible person he was, more akin to Rosemary's Baby.

It's interesting, Robert Blake in Lost Highway doesn't bother me too much but I can't watch the Naked Gun movies. Maybe because OJ has a bigger role than Blake?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Manager Hoyden posted:

As temperature decreases, Relative Humidity increases, so that makes perfect sense if you have a gauge saying the humidity is different. It should be! That being said, window units IME aren't as good at removing humidity as real AC.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

This is why relative humidity is generally not helpful. Dew point is the temperature-independent measure of moisture in the air.

For example, 90 F with 50% relative humidity has a dew point 5 degrees higher (and thus, more moisture in the air) than 70 degrees with 80% relative humidity.

You can Google "dew point calculator" to play around with the numbers.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Thanks for humidity chat y'all.

One of the ac units was a portable (the kind that sit on casters in the room and vent through a hose out a window slat) and apparently those don't work as a rule. I replaced it with a regular window unit of the same ashrae rating and the temp dropped five degrees and the humidity in the room dropped twenty points.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

is there a way to stop my Google Calendar app from adding stuff from Siri Suggestions? It's not one of the calendars I can click off and I also can't delete the events after it adds them

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
What's the best media player for Windows 10?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

NotNut posted:

I love https://www.smplayer.info/

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
So, long story short, I do a lot of Chinese-English translation on the Google Translate app and vice versa. This morning, there was some kind of notification I skipped over in my rush to translate something and now I can't find out what it was and it's really annoying me.

It was a yellow-ish box below the main translation entry box with I think a cartoon loaf of bread character trying to remind me of something. Maybe something I did previously? I only saw it for a brief second and I swear I'm not hallucinating or making this up. I've never seen this kind of notification like this before on the app and I'd like to find out what it was. It'd be even better if someone could get a screen capture of it.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 14, 2021

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Re: the Cosby question, I recently watched a retrospective on The Cosby Show that goes into his past and influence that I thought was pretty well done. It's more about the show than anything else but as somebody who grew up watching and enjoying it I found it kind of cathartic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khIS98DltT8

Frankly I had no idea how huge he actually was prior to the show getting made--my frame of reference was entirely the syndicated run on Nick at Nite as a child--so I appreciated gaining a greater context. I think it's far more likely he will be remembered and regarded in the same way as Polanski instead of Lennon, if he is remembered for his artistry by future generations at all. This would also be an interesting topic for the Sexual Assault/Culture of Hollywood thread in CD (you can find that here)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is there some kind of accurate star projector?

Like not just a grid of light, but one that can somehow project a picture (or simulation) of the actual stars/constellations?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

RCarr posted:

Is there some kind of accurate star projector?

Like not just a grid of light, but one that can somehow project a picture (or simulation) of the actual stars/constellations?

You’re looking for a planetarium, or perhaps a home planetarium.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Do you want to set up a home planetarium or what?

Try the free software Stellarium for an accurate view of the night sky at any place or time on Earth (and places not on Earth). It’s easy to project that onto a flat wall, somewhat more involved to build a dome to make a real planetarium.

You could also try VR goggles.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

NotNut posted:

I'm pretty sure VLC remains unchallenged after a decade+

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
VLC and media player classic should cover just about everything.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Yeah, I keep MPC-HC around because VLC sometimes has trouble, but VLC is good for the default player.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I like foobar2000, though I still use vlc for video

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
This question might not be small or stupid:

I've always been taught that insects are limited in size because they use surface tension and other related laws of fluid dynamics to transport fluids through their bodies rather than peristalsis like vertebrates.
If that's true (I guess it might be a simplification), how was it possible that three foot long dragonflies existed in the carboniferous period?
I know the air was different, but as far as I know that was only the composition of the gasses, not basic things like air pressure that would change how fluids behave.

Wikipedia kind of touches on this, describing it as an open question with one outdated explanation, but then switches over to 'how where they able to fly' and what evolutionary niche they filled, conflating all those issues and leaving me still wondering how their physiology worked.

Is there something online that goes over the debate and some theories in more detail that I could maybe read?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
I was always lead to believe insect size is limited by oxygen concentration, since they rely on simple diffusion of oxygen into their hemolymph instead of using any sort of ventilation. Higher atmospheric O2 concentrations meant higher blood O2 concentrations for insects, which allowed them to maintain larger body sizes.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

DildenAnders posted:

I was always lead to believe insect size is limited by oxygen concentration, since they rely on simple diffusion of oxygen into their hemolymph instead of using any sort of ventilation. Higher atmospheric O2 concentrations meant higher blood O2 concentrations for insects, which allowed them to maintain larger body sizes.

Recently, I looked up the topic of "what if the atmosphere had more oxygen" and big-rear end insects was one of the things we would get.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t recall watching this episode, but the show is in general quite good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wQLKMUWANg

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

So is that a thing where you could put existing insects in a high oxygen environment and they (or their offspring) would just grow bigger, like how goldfish get huge if they have enough space, or is it limited by their genetic blueprint?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Taeke posted:

So is that a thing where you could put existing insects in a high oxygen environment and they (or their offspring) would just grow bigger, like how goldfish get huge if they have enough space, or is it limited by their genetic blueprint?

In one experiment, ten of twelve insect species raised in an oxygen enriched environment did grow larger.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/10/101029132924.htm

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Coconut crabs are thr largest current land arthropods and they're pretty darn big.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Coconut crabs don't breathe through trachae like insects do so there's no reason they can't get huge.

From what I remember, you do get bigger insects in higher O2 environments, but they don't get to be as big as the 3 foot long dragonflies of old so I think it's both genetic and environmental.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
The more I read about this, the more I think it has to be a combination of everything:
1. More oxygen means less energy used for the tracheae, leaving more energy for growth;
2. Size isn't risky (particularly during molting) if there are no predators (birds) yet;
3. More oxygen means it's easier to fly, making it less useful to stay small.

Maybe that 3ft dragonfly was pushing right up against the bounds of size based on hemolymph flow, and then the oxygen levels dropped and birds and lizards started eating the biggest insects and because of those two things size became a disadvantage.

It's too bad we can never breed enough generations of dragonflies (or any kind of insect) in an oxygen rich environment without predators to find out how big they would get again.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

We have ways of speeding up that process, as seen by mr. Daddy shortlegs

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Giant sea scorpions got up to 2.5m in length. Athropods can get huge if conditions are right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If we had giant dragonflies they’d be hunted to extinction and then we wouldn’t have giant dragonflies again