Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
my enjoyment of my latest survival playthrough is being hampered by many of the gear mods having dumb, OP numbers attached to them. having to curate what feels level appropriate sucks, and pulls you out of the experience.

i found a sniper rifle at level 4 or 6, that had base damage 60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
there is one guy who has done a very large series of weapon overhauls that are all mostly balanced against each other, and the really broken poo poo is all gated with combinations of top tier craft skills and usually science or blacksmith. there is still broken OP poo poo of course, but it's at the point there's plenty of vanilla broken OP poo poo anyway (level 50+) so who cares.

it's a big mod, almost a gig, but it's all pretty integrated and working and makes pretty much all the weapons relevant and interesting

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/41344

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I was warned, but yeah CTDs in no-quick-save-survival suck. I added an autosave mod that I've (mostly) refrained from abusing. The thing is, the game doesn't distinguish between a timed autosave and a bed save, so I had to increase the number of autosave slots so they wouldn't overwrite my bed saves. Less than ideal, but crashes, though sporadic, make it a necessity.

Maybe next time I'll try playing non-survival with survival rules (but the temptation to savescum is real; I'd prefer not to have the option).

Flesh Forge posted:

there is one guy who has done a very large series of weapon overhauls that are all mostly balanced against each other, and the really broken poo poo is all gated with combinations of top tier craft skills and usually science or blacksmith. there is still broken OP poo poo of course, but it's at the point there's plenty of vanilla broken OP poo poo anyway (level 50+) so who cares.

it's a big mod, almost a gig, but it's all pretty integrated and working and makes pretty much all the weapons relevant and interesting

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/41344

Thanks but I was more looking to add to the list of the available guns, rather than overhauling the whole system. looks like a neat project, though.

I appreciate that some mod authors give you the option of adjusting their weapon's power to suit your preference (for free, separate from proper modifications).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
there's a lot of visual variation added, that's why the mod is so big.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Gonna give bethesda the benefit of the doubt on this one, because I am playing with a fair number of mods, but just had a strange bug that disabled my gamepad favorites menu and POV key. The solution, bizarrely enough, was to get facial surgery.

e:On a related note, I don't understand the reasoning of disabling the console in survival mode. Who cares if someone wants to cheat, so far it's saved me a lot of troubleshooting headaches (or alleviated the ones I did get). God mode seems to be disabled even with console access.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jul 27, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I always leave the console on in survival just for bug mitigation. I've never gotten through the big dig without that stupid robot falling through the floor or getting stuck in a wall or just stopping for no reason. Being able to summon it to the digging walls is a lifesaver. Also the quest at the amphitheater, it's like 50/50 if the sister shows up

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Azhais posted:

I always leave the console on in survival just for bug mitigation. I've never gotten through the big dig without that stupid robot falling through the floor or getting stuck in a wall or just stopping for no reason. Being able to summon it to the digging walls is a lifesaver. Also the quest at the amphitheater, it's like 50/50 if the sister shows up

There is a mod to fix the sister not showing up but it needs to be enabled at game start so you can’t use it halfway through a game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ada lost her voice after giving her a sentry head, but it didn't revert when I gave her her regular head back, and I can't find any option to change it. Am I just missing something obvious, or did one of the automatron mods gently caress something up?

There's no voice category when working on Ada at the workbench.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

FML, noclip is also disabled in survival mode. Bravo Bethesda.

The bugginess is beginning to wear on me.

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

Rinkles posted:

FML, noclip is also disabled in survival mode. Bravo Bethesda.

The bugginess is beginning to wear on me.
If you're on PC, there are a ton of useful mods for survival and allowing you to use the console, etc. I like this one - https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/26163 - but it needs F4SE.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, the survival restrictions end up being an "any% crash" speedrun. If you're going to play survival and not lose your mind, you at LEAST need to use the console, and then just have the self-control to not type tgm in.

The alternative is that you CTD because BETHESDA-QA.txt and then you hate yourself.

Meanwhile, I've got a particularly frustrating CTD bug that pops up out of nowhere, and I'm still trying to track it down. Gotta love FO4: gives you no loving info to work off of, at all, ever.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

There's no loving way in hell I'd play Fallout 4 survival without the console and only having one save file. Fallout: Horizon does a good job with mitigating the lack of saves and fast travel by making consumables to do both, but there are times when Fallout: Horizon becomes un-fun to play just due to the huge restrictions imposed with acquiring basic necessities.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Refried Hero posted:

If you're on PC, there are a ton of useful mods for survival and allowing you to use the console, etc. I like this one - https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/26163 - but it needs F4SE.

I already have mods that do some of the stuff this does (but not everything); I'm worried about conflicts.

Gonkish posted:

Yeah, the survival restrictions end up being an "any% crash" speedrun. If you're going to play survival and not lose your mind, you at LEAST need to use the console, and then just have the self-control to not type tgm in.

The alternative is that you CTD because BETHESDA-QA.txt and then you hate yourself.

Meanwhile, I've got a particularly frustrating CTD bug that pops up out of nowhere, and I'm still trying to track it down. Gotta love FO4: gives you no loving info to work off of, at all, ever.

A fun one is the survival specific freeze that happens when your need meters update in VATS.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rinkles posted:

I already have mods that do some of the stuff this does (but not everything); I'm worried about conflicts.

A fun one is the survival specific freeze that happens when your need meters update in VATS.

Holy poo poo that's why that has been happening?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Man I got impatient because I've been dealing with a lot of bugs (half of them from mods, tbf), and potentially hosed up my save. I had Steam verify file integrity. It fixed the issue I had, but now the FPS seems to have gone down across the board by 10 to 15 fps. Afaik, all (most of?) the inis would have been unaffected, since MO2 keeps them in its own directories. So I'm not sure if there's an easy fix, or something deeper is wrong.

Also word of warning, it seems running xEdit autocleaner (before I started the playthrough) screwed some stuff up with Nukaworld.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
How is SS2 these days? Have they fixed it up enough that doesn't lead to bugs that requires starting a whole new game and hope it doesn't happen again? I've been chomping to do an LP of it but I don't want the LP curse to happen.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Leal posted:

How is SS2 these days? Have they fixed it up enough that doesn't lead to bugs that requires starting a whole new game and hope it doesn't happen again? I've been chomping to do an LP of it but I don't want the LP curse to happen.

From what I can tell, yeah. They just released what should be the final update for 1.0 and are now focused on 2.0 and chapter 2 of the story. Just remember the settlement stuff is still script heavy so they take some time to update.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

From what I can tell, yeah. They just released what should be the final update for 1.0 and are now focused on 2.0 and chapter 2 of the story. Just remember the settlement stuff is still script heavy so they take some time to update.

This is good to hear. Recording some footage now and I'm kinda glad I got what I got. After the deathclaw fight Jake got into the power armor after I got out and since he isn't a proper follower I can't tell him to get the hell out.

E: Oh drat, the dog who did the motion for Dogmeat died in June :smith:

https://twitter.com/JoelBurgess/status/1409013849584504833

Leal fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 14, 2021

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Leal posted:

This is good to hear. Recording some footage now and I'm kinda glad I got what I got. After the deathclaw fight Jake got into the power armor after I got out and since he isn't a proper follower I can't tell him to get the hell out.

E: Oh drat, the dog who did the motion for Dogmeat died in June :smith:

https://twitter.com/JoelBurgess/status/1409013849584504833

I remember reading this thread when it first came out, River was such a sweetheart :unsmith:

https://twitter.com/JoelBurgess/status/1409013870908383234

Thank you River for giving us one of the best dogs in gaming instead of just another generic attack NPC :3: One of my favourite things is when I try to get Dogmeat to hold my stuff and she trots just out of conversation range, my dog used to do that too because she wanted to play :kimchi:

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Makes me feel bad that I replaced Dogmeat's model with an albino mutant hound. Almost.

Our current dog is still young, but she's a sweetheart and it'll be a heartbreaker when she goes.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I replaced dogmeat with a cat lol.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

New thread title

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Leal posted:

I've been playing with it since SS2 was released and I'll only recommend it if you do the settlement building and ASAM sensor placing yourself. While the storyline is quite good in the game, the mechanics can be hit or miss throughout your playthough. If you use the city plans and mayor system that comes with the game, you're going to start running into CTDs from all the scripts running in the background if you automate more than a small handful of settlements. Apparently there are also problems with how SS2 automates powerlines for your settlements that can lead to crashes, as well as some parts of the maps which have settlements too close being loaded in too fast which leading to CTD's. An example of the latter problem is using city plans in Sanctuary, Red Rocket and Abernathy Farm concurrently being too much for Fallout 4 to handle, so its better to develop only one or two settlements. Another solution that might be feasble, which I haven't tried, is to only use one mayor and dismiss the mayor once your settlement hits its maximum level of development, freeing up script resources to be used for the next settlement. All of this is tied into the Fallout 4 engine itself and not the mod, so they are problems that can't be fixed on the modders side. It also gets worse if you use city plans that are computer-resource intensive, like the Return to the Commonwealth city plans.

Again, many of these things don't seem to be a problem if you manually build all of your settlements. However, one of the main reasons why I was attracted to Sim Settlements was for the automation options, which can be rendered unreliable, so I've started disabling SS2 on my future playthoughs.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SS2 going good!

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Well you got it all hosed up you weren't supposed to use SS2 and unknowable horror mod at the same time they cause conflicts.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Entorwellian posted:

I've been playing with it since SS2 was released and I'll only recommend it if you do the settlement building and ASAM sensor placing yourself. While the storyline is quite good in the game, the mechanics can be hit or miss throughout your playthough. If you use the city plans and mayor system that comes with the game, you're going to start running into CTDs from all the scripts running in the background if you automate more than a small handful of settlements. Apparently there are also problems with how SS2 automates powerlines for your settlements that can lead to crashes, as well as some parts of the maps which have settlements too close being loaded in too fast which leading to CTD's. An example of the latter problem is using city plans in Sanctuary, Red Rocket and Abernathy Farm concurrently being too much for Fallout 4 to handle, so its better to develop only one or two settlements. Another solution that might be feasble, which I haven't tried, is to only use one mayor and dismiss the mayor once your settlement hits its maximum level of development, freeing up script resources to be used for the next settlement. All of this is tied into the Fallout 4 engine itself and not the mod, so they are problems that can't be fixed on the modders side. It also gets worse if you use city plans that are computer-resource intensive, like the Return to the Commonwealth city plans.

Again, many of these things don't seem to be a problem if you manually build all of your settlements. However, one of the main reasons why I was attracted to Sim Settlements was for the automation options, which can be rendered unreliable, so I've started disabling SS2 on my future playthoughs.

Glad I read this before I got too deep into SS2. I've already noticed load times getting crazy long and the game has trouble starting.
I'll probably take your suggestions and only let the game automate some of the settlements until they reach a certain point.
I really have no idea what the gently caress I'm supposed to do with SS2 but the idea for automated settlements was too good to pass up and a feature I wanted since day 1.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Entorwellian posted:

The powerline issue and the advance load issue have been largely dealt with by mod improvements. The doom triangle is definitely an issue, but I have regular plots stacked up in all three locations with no extra city plan gubbins and they're generally solid.

I still quicksave as I approach a settlement I haven't visited in a while, but it's mostly out of reflex.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm kind of amazed at the disparate quality of mods between Skyrim SE and FO4. Like there's an SKSE mod that automatically logs crashes in Skyrim and then parses that and gives you an idea of what caused that particular crash. It straight up points you to the error and then says "this might be the problem".

Meanwhile the only similar F4SE mod does log crashes but you're entirely on your own trying to figure out loving anything from it whatsoever. The author seems to spend most of his time trying to translate the gobbledygook the mod spits out in the comments on its Nexus page, when it really feels like he could, you know, at least have the mod point people in a direction. 95% of the comments are "here is my crash log wtf is this" and him giving vague answers because he's trying to float through dozens of logs a day.

I mean I know FO4 isn't quite as easy to work your weird ginormous futa catgirl demon dragon loli wank material into, Nexus modders, but does that mean it's bad?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah in some ways the modding scene for FO4 still feels quite immature.

Perhaps not the fairest comparison, but going back to FNV, putting together a functional modlist was a breeze compared to 4. I was almost done in an afternoon. I had to do way more troubleshooting with 4

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Rinkles posted:

Yeah in some ways the modding scene for FO4 still feels quite immature.

Perhaps not the fairest comparison, but going back to FNV, putting together a functional modlist was a breeze compared to 4. I was almost done in an afternoon. I had to do way more troubleshooting with 4

This game is a pain in the rear end to mod, it turned me off to the whole thing. I would probably go back and finish the game in VR if it wasnt for the fact that I dread having to put the mods together.

Its at least a couple steps back from Skyrim

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fallout 4 is a pain to mod because of the constant updates thanks to creation club. It makes mod maintenance a hassle that not every modder wants to keep up with. New Vegas had its final patch and has legacy mods that are "stable enough" that they work as well with new mods as they do with other old mods. So there are some structural mods that remain in place for vegas because they aren't broken and don't need fixing. Fallout 4 still feels like it's got teething problems for mods because at any time you've got fifteen mods trying to do the same thing and they all conflict with each other and some are updated and some aren't and some have dependencies and some don't and then it all gets very confusing what works with what and there really isn't an established baseline.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Skyrim is also more popular. Both LE and SE have more mods on Nexus than FO4 does.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

After playing it for many years, Fallout 4 sits in a weird category in my favourite games. It has such mess of a story, unimpressive factions, difficult-to-follow character dialogs on account of bugs and people talking over one another, and repeating mistakes made in Fallout 3. On the other hand, I've put around 700 hours into it, modded the heck out of it and I have had a really good time with the gameplay and building. It's flawed, but its still incredibly fun. Plus there is a mod out there for whatever you hated most in the vanilla game and goes around to fixing it so you don't have to worry about it in subsequent games (like bobblehead and magazine collecting.)

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

It's just like... I'm getting a crash, randomly, that I can't place, and Buffout spits out this: "Unhandled exception "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION" at 0x7FF6EA9AC09F Fallout4.exe+1FCC09F"

Which, yes, is probably true, but it's also not at all informative. What does that mean? How do I address the issue? How do I even diagnose it? No loving clue. Meanwhile, a Skyrim SE crash log (which I don't have handy right now) literally parses and points you to the potentially misbehaving mod, giving you an avenue to address the issue from the start.

It's little things like this that make modding FO4 a pain in the rear end. I've been trying to chase this issue down for AGES, and I know it's got to be some sort of script or audio thing, but I have no idea HOW to approach the problem because it just doesn't give me the info I need to start diagnosing it.

Skyrim being more popular is totally understandable, but god drat some of the tools for FO4 are just subpar. I'm not trying to poo poo on Buffout in particular, mind, I appreciate the author's work and know that it's difficult to do this poo poo. It's just that there's a stark disparity between the tools we have for Skyrim and FO4, and it's weird to me.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 19, 2021

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Speaking of Skyrim...

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1428456888354709511

lol

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

1000 YEARS OF SKYRIM! LONG SHALL THE KING REIGN! FOREVER SHALL HIS LEGACY BE CELEBRATED! IA SKYRIM! IA TODD!

I hope they rerelease it for every console generation from here until the world ends

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I was gonna be down on it but they added fishing so it's gonna be lit

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Todd doesn't need to make TES6. Skyrim forever.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So will mods be compatible or does everyone have to make Anniversary Edition mods like when Special Edition came out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

So will mods be compatible or does everyone have to make Anniversary Edition mods like when Special Edition came out?

Won't know til the 11th of November most likely