Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Grim dawn is cool i like rolling with my skelly bros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just imagining the poor kid who had a CD-i

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

i thought CD-i was expensive

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Opinions:
Diablo 3 plays way better on consoles with a gamepad.
Grim Dawn is a much better game.
Inquisitor Martyr is an even better game and the best Diablo-like if you're only in it for single player and the story.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i wish they would release Grim Dawn on Switch

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Friend of my father had a CD-i. He let me play the Thunder In Paradise game, which I got really good at :unsmith:

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I wonder if there even were any kids who asked for a CDi specifically to play games on it. As I understood it the games were like a sort of bonus feature, like how old cellphones/MP3 players had brick breaker and snake.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Suspicious Lump posted:

What is a good turn based games that is not FF or Chrono trigger? I really enjoyed Advance Wars games. I played old school XCom and was raped so hard I never played again. Hows the new one?

I played Into The Breach and it was amazing but rogue-like games are loving terrible.

Actually, there's my unpopular opinion, rogue-like games are horrible. They're usually combined with random generated levels which are a poor substitute for good fashion level design. Every game can be improved with good levels + a story. Rogue-like game remove both, things and lack a cohesive story and progression.

Why the gently caress are they so popular.

Good, challenging gameplay usually. It also lets a smaller team create a more professional experience without the thousands of man-hours. Not to say that they are all good or bad, just like any genre.

Mescal posted:

I'm not really attached to OoT but anybody who says it sucks is just lying to piss people off

Yep, and also failing to take into account the time period when it was released.

veni veni veni posted:

I did. Basically I hooked my laptop up to my TV for the first time and played some Dead Space at 120fps for a couple hours and it looked fantastic. Then the game crashed. rebooted and all of a sudden it's like 20fps on my TV and there's all of this poo poo that looks like screen tearing going on. Still looks great on the laptop display. Then I try Chernobylite and once again it looks great on the laptop, but on the TV the frame rate looks terrible and now there is this horrible motion blur to the point it's unplayable on the TV. It's like some setting kicked in or turned off and I can't figure out wtf it is. It looked great for a while and now it's borderline unusable on a PC. I feel like I have hosed around with every logical setting and it still looks like crap.

vsync should help with the tearing...

I don't suppose there are multiple HDMI ports on your laptop? I remember loving up at first because I was connecting my TV to the standard HDMI port leading to the integrated graphics, not the GPU HDMI port. I assume that probably isn't it figured but i'd mention it

!Klams posted:

We kind of don't, really. Like I remember on my Nintendo 3DS, and it's got this thing where when you walk past someone else with one, it automatically swaps data with them, and you get their mii thing showing up when you next load up. I think it's quite generous with the distance.

Walking round London and Rome with it, some days I'd meet new people. Went to Japan, day one, 300 new hits. And like, yeah, I get that that's kind of unfair, but I'd actually see like mums with their kids on public transport playing their 3ds. I've literally never seen anyone else in Europe (I mean mostly England, but still) with one.

And, this is super anecdotal and super... Niche, but, it does feel pretty representative.

This is a lie, you all play Fifa 24/7 and everyone knows it.

If you're talking about mobile game consoles, yeah that's probably true but it's also true here, I can count on one hand how many times I've seen one of those things in public since I was in elementary school

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Meme Poker Party posted:

People really liked grinding in Diablo 2 because it was the year 2001.

People didn't like grinding so much in Diablo 3 because it was the year 2012

I’m commander Shepard and this is the best post about Diablo 2/3 in the citadel

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

PinheadSlim posted:

I wonder if there even were any kids who asked for a CDi specifically to play games on it. As I understood it the games were like a sort of bonus feature, like how old cellphones/MP3 players had brick breaker and snake.

I remember mags like EGM and CVG raving about it before it got shat out so there were probably a bunch of kids who brainwashed themselves with those articles. Then they probably went full lost cost fallacy to convince themselves they hadn't made an awful mistake.

I think the main reason it played games at all was so dads who wanted the fancy new video player would have an extra argument when discussing it with their wife. The kids'll love it!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

runnypoops posted:

grim dawn is cool but i dont like that there isn't a max level version of every legendary in the game, because it means that by the endgame i can no longer equip the pants that let you throw your turds at monsters

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Fur20 posted:

grim dawn is cool but i dont like that there isn't a max level version of every legendary in the game, because it means that by the endgame i can no longer equip the pants that let you throw your turds at monsters

but..there is? a Mythical, lvl 94 version

https://www.grimtools.com/db/items/9175

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
ohhh poo poo! well that's what i get for not having played the game since 2016

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Lodin posted:

Inquisitor Martyr is an even better game and the best Diablo-like if you're only in it for single player and the story.

Is it actually good single player? The inexplicably long loading times and the dreadful co-op implementation put me right off this game, and Diablo-but-it's-40k sounded like a surefire win to me.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Grim dawn is *holds breath, grits teeth* not for me

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Vic posted:

I modded RE2Make with different costumes.

I think I know what kind of costumes you're talking about you dirty dog you

Quote-Unquote posted:

Is it actually good single player? The inexplicably long loading times and the dreadful co-op implementation put me right off this game, and Diablo-but-it's-40k sounded like a surefire win to me.

It's okay, the story mostly keeps it going but the loot kinda sucks. I might finish the story depending on how long it is. It's not that it's so great but that most of those type of games are just not very fun.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Play posted:

I think I know what kind of costumes you're talking about you dirty dog you

Naked mods introduced animation problems right off the... bat.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Diablo 2 fans are like crack addicts at this point chasing their fix because Diablo 2 doesn't cut it anymore. Before Grim Dawn it was Torchlight and before that it was Titan Quest. I'm not even sure if they are even into the main Diablo series anymore. I'd be stunned if Diablo 2: Resurrected gets a fanbase because while Diablo 3 is fixed I don't think any of them went back.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Justin Godscock posted:

Diablo 2 fans are like crack addicts at this point chasing their fix because Diablo 2 doesn't cut it anymore. Before Grim Dawn it was Torchlight and before that it was Titan Quest. I'm not even sure if they are even into the main Diablo series anymore. I'd be stunned if Diablo 2: Resurrected gets a fanbase because while Diablo 3 is fixed I don't think any of them went back.

i can stop playing path of exile any time i want :colbert:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

runnypoops posted:

Grim Dawn is good because it works great offline.

PoE has great gore art. I mean it's repetitive but at some point in the torturery parts it really reminded me of the creepy feeling of Diablo 1 & 2 because there are just so many bodies on spits and then intestine hallways and all the glories of war and religion just lying about in ruins. But lag death and the weird spikes in difficulty that an unplanned build just stalls out on are pretty big obstacles to a first time (and for me, last time) player.

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in

satanic splash-back posted:

If you think diablo 2 is better than diablo 3, you probably played diablo 2 in your formative years and have trouble seperating that fact from the game itself.

I've never even touched D3 and I will immediately agree with this, QED

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

While we're talking Diablo-likes, Dungeon Siege III is great fun and woefully underappreciated. All the characters had fun skill sets in their own right and the game has as much camp story as good atmosphere, really a great time. I will also go to bat for War in the North for similar reasons though, so I might just have a brain tumor or something.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I never even considered spending a second grinding in Diablo 2, so getting to the end of the third game and finding out the story was mostly a long tutorial baby mode for a seasonal grindfest was really disappointing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Suddenly remembering how both the first two areas of Diablo II end up in dungeons with the murdered and tortured bodies of women as setpieces.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Justin Godscock posted:

torchlight was poo poo though

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

and then torchlight II was mediocre - and that's assuming you used the Synergies mod

Torchlight 3?....we don't talk about Torchlight 3

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Unpopular opinion, all them loot chasing clicky games are total trash, play a real game

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Suddenly remembering how both the first two areas of Diablo II end up in dungeons with the murdered and tortured bodies of women as setpieces.

Path of Exile goes even further beyond this level of edgelord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1e25YiOxJs

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Torchlight 1 and 2 were lovely bad games hth

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

arpgs are games where you click a lot and then level up, they are basically cookie clicker

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

arpgs are games where you click a lot and then level up, they are basically cookie clicker

:hmmyes:
perhaps the same could be said of all video games!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Walking Sims don't require clicking

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Barudak posted:

Walking Sims don't require clicking

I am the gatekeeper of games; NOT VIDEOGAMES.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Rutibex posted:

from what i've seen PoE builds are designed to make you engage in the combat as little as possible so you can get back to grinding for the sake of it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
d3 I've never really done any endgame grinding ever because you can do poo poo like play through classes alternating between doing the campaign and adventure mode with rifts and still get dozens, of not hundreds of hours of play time

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
The Sega Genesis six-button and Saturn controllers are perfect

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
gaming perspectives ranked

1st: any perspective except isometric
last place: isometric

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
People who call any game with a bird's eye view isometric should be shot

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
obviously bird's eye view is a whole different situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

roomtone posted:

obviously bird's eye view is a whole different situation

Obviously, which makes the crimes of those who insist on using isometric as a blanket descriptor even more inexcusable