Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/JimLaPorta/status/1425561655639937029

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Only $28 million?

Some gov contractor decided to only have a modest pay day.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

boop the snoot posted:

Only $28 million?

Some gov contractor decided to only have a modest pay day.

Don't worry, some hard-hitting journalists found out that actually the uniforms were a great idea, so says the company that sold them

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

And if Pauley Perrette asks you to keep your dog on a leash you should do this….SLAM!

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Scratch Monkey posted:

https://twitter.com/kejamieson_/status/1425491359151136772

"Hey the LCS program was awesome but how can I, a civilian, get in on that?"

Groveryacht

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I like it the same way i like the x32. Awwww its so derpy but atleast you tried!

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://twitter.com/JimLaPorta/status/1425563114460884994?s=20

lots of "funny" anecdotes in the replies

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/mtns2ocean/status/1425670108681105408?s=19

:catstare:

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

So if the ANA is the Afghan version of "poo poo, they need recruits for the army, send them our most useless failsons"...who are the competent sons in this scenario? Where did they go?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

So if the ANA is the Afghan version of "poo poo, they need recruits for the army, send them our most useless failsons"...who are the competent sons in this scenario? Where did they go?

They either left or are with the Taliban.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I worked with an Afghani guy who was a senior driller for one of the big mine drilling companies in Western Australia. Top bloke. He told me a couple of years ago he thought sometimes about how it would be nice to see the old country again but he knows he almost certainly never will.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Memento posted:

I worked with an Afghani guy who was a senior driller for one of the big mine drilling companies in Western Australia. Top bloke. He told me a couple of years ago he thought sometimes about how it would be nice to see the old country again but he knows he almost certainly never will.

Good news for him if anyone ever goes after those fabled mineral deposits in Afghanistan.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

mllaneza posted:

Good news for him if anyone ever goes after those fabled mineral deposits in Afghanistan.

The Soviets dug a mile and a half long tunnel but it didn't go great for them!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

mllaneza posted:

I've read plenty of exploration reports out of Afghanistan that talk up the mineral wealth there, but none that made me think "this is worth dealing with the Taliban to develop".

poo poo, there's world-class deposits in Pakistan that if they were in any other region in the world would have start of the art facilities on them right now. Reko Diq could be putting out a quarter million tons of copper and about the same ounces of gold every year if the government there didn't decide to pull the licensing from the company that explored the deposit. It's a tale as old as time; company comes in, does the work, shows the deposit is viable and gets ready to mine it, then gets their permits pulled so the government can hand it off to someone they prefer.

In the end it's mining companies attempting to gently caress and getting hosed by governments, so it's hard to feel any sympathy for any of them.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The Taliban's going to slide into China's DMs and say they can take all they can carry so long as they keep the US off their backs. China won't care about women being put back in head-to-toe burqas and forbidden from doing anything except cooking and getting pregnant.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Taliban's going to slide into China's DMs and say they can take all they can carry so long as they keep the US off their backs. China won't care about women being put back in head-to-toe burqas and forbidden from doing anything except cooking and getting pregnant.

China would be right there taking notes on how to oppress minority Muslim populations more effectively

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They will probably care as much as the US cares about Saudi Arabia's various human rights violations and exportation of Salafism all over the world. It's just how it works, human rights only matter for great powers when it's convenient.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Without nerding out too much, mining companies take government / social stability into account when assessing a project. No sense spending a billion starting a mine if the government is just going to step in and take it next year.

Mines in places where they surround the site with barbed wire and guard towers have unusually rich deposits or are digging for gold or diamonds.

The other thing is there’s very little infrastructure in Afghanistan that would allow you to operate a mine and export minerals in large quantity, so again, you’d need to be working gold or diamonds for it to make sense… and even then, how are you going to get your supplies in?

A smallish mine needs about 25,000 metric tons of supplies and 30-50,000 tons of fuel a year to operate, never mind the start up. And they’re not willing to spend $US Military to get it in.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Just throwing it out there that Afghans are the people, Afghani is the currency

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Alhamdulillah not for much longer, may the Taliban Buck replace the kafar Afghani.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Damnit, Forgot to spend my EagleCash. Do you think they’ll honor it?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Does AAFES still honor POG currency?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There was still some floating around in 2018. I don’t know why.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

This is stupid, pedantic bullshit. Do you know what the demonym for a person from Afghanistan is in Dari and Pashto? AFGHANI

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Androies posted:

Alhamdulillah not for much longer, may the Taliban Buck replace the kafar Afghani.

The Taliban used the Afghani before the invasion, I dunno why they'd get rid of it. Unless they really like the idea of Talibucks.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Vengarr posted:

Talibucks.

Worst. Coffee. Ever.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Time Crisis Actor posted:

This is stupid, pedantic bullshit. Do you know what the demonym for a person from Afghanistan is in Dari and Pashto? AFGHANI

Farsi, too.

Weird that it isn't in English, the language we're using now.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Worst. Coffee. Ever.

Never order an Americano there.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Farsi, too.

Farsi/Dari same-same

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Time Crisis Actor posted:

And Arabic.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Farsi, too.

If you're going to be really pedantic, in English it's "Persian", not "Farsi". The same way we don't say people speak Nihongo, Deutsch, Español, Francais or Ivrit.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hyperlynx posted:

If you're going to be really pedantic, in English it's "Persian", not "Farsi". The same way we don't say people speak Nihongo, Deutsch, Español, Francais or Ivrit.

The USA government and military do not refer to anything as persian except rugs. E.g. Arabian Gulf.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Be nice to one another guys.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Nice! posted:

The USA government and military do not refer to anything as persian except rugs. E.g. Arabian Gulf.

there’s cats op

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Platystemon posted:

there’s cats op

Ok cats and rugs, but anything else is referred to by a different name.

I said persian gulf all the time during briefings before and on deployment and always got glares from some of the other officers :lol:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

Ok cats and rugs, but anything else is referred to by a different name.

I said persian gulf all the time during briefings before and on deployment and always got glares from some of the other officers :lol:

It really weirded me out on Deployment 1. I thought it was some personal vendetta that the Nav had or something. Its really hard to unlearn 5th grade geography.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The logic, for the gulf at least, is that calling it the persian gulf implies that it was historically persian and therefore strengthens iran’s claim to full ownership of the gulf and SoH.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
O.K. but “Arabian” is not itself neutral.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

The logic, for the gulf at least, is that calling it the persian gulf implies that it was historically persian and therefore strengthens iran’s claim to full ownership of the gulf and SoH.

I definitely got that after being there for about a month, but in the lead up going into 5th Fleet briefings and what not, it was weird. I was also a huge geography nerd as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Petition to rename Gulf of Mexico “Gulf of America”