Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Kyler Murray is the most entertaining quarterback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
The best quarterbacks embrace and further the best type of football: :siren:CLOWNBALL:siren:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
In terms of entertainment factor I don’t think anyone can ever match Jameis’ 30/30 season.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Mega64 posted:

The best quarterback is the most entertaining quarterback. That’s why the best quarterbacks are Mahomes, Jackson, and Fitzpatrick.

Terrible quarterbacks are also entertaining as long as they’re not on your team

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

In terms of entertainment factor I don’t think anyone can ever match Jameis’ 30/30 season.

The ending of that season was perfect. Hitting overtime against the Falcons for a meaningless game for second place in the division, still at a cool 29 picks, then his first pass of overtime, his final pass as a Buccaneer, like his first NFL pass, was a pick six.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Mystic Stylez posted:

that's one of the reasons Lamar's MVP season was so fun to watch. he weekly made legit NFL talent look like the people who are getting owned in high school highlight tapes. it's insane.

As a bengals fan I still watched every ravens game that season cause he was SO good. Incredible football watching

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Doing good stats by throwing out the majority of my sample.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

no no. you can't use THOSE stats. after all, the sample size is best whe nits as small as possible

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
If you get 4 seasons of 65% completion in a row you get a super bowl ring, you can trade them in

Absolut Mike
Oct 22, 2004

Primae noctis menage a trois.

Doltos posted:

If you get 4 seasons of 65% completion in a row you get a super bowl ring, you can trade them in

Kirk Cousins is soooo close!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

If clutch doesn’t exist explain Tony Romo vs Eli Manning check mate nerds.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I feel like nows the time to bring up Dak

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Jerry Jones can waste any level of talent so it's hard to judge what Romo or Dak's true ceiling was/is.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mitch trubisky

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

R.D. Mangles posted:

mitch trubisky

hosed up if true.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
As a Packers fan I am extremely familiar with ignoring the concept of "defense" and what it means to have a good one

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

sean10mm posted:

Jerry Jones can waste any level of talent so it's hard to judge what Romo or Dak's true ceiling was/is.

The mad man held down Drew Bledsoe.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just wondering what is going on with Rodgers and Watson. Is one retired and the other headed to jail? Last I heard Aaron was trying to replace Alex Trebek and Watson was doing damage control over his massage fetish. Are they in camp?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Just wondering what is going on with Rodgers and Watson. Is one retired and the other headed to jail? Last I heard Aaron was trying to replace Alex Trebek and Watson was doing damage control over his massage fetish. Are they in camp?

Rodgers is currently in the hospital recovering from a bad case of the Gruntles. Pray for him.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Waltzing Along posted:

If only there was a way to find out this information

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Here's a cool snippet from the Lions game last night:

the Athletic posted:

The Craig Reynolds story
How about this one? Goff said he wasn’t even sure he’d met the dude. Reynolds said he introduced himself to his teammates as he got into the huddle during the game Friday night.

The Lions just signed Reynolds on Thursday, after releasing Quinton Dunbar — Swift’s absence and a couple of other minor injuries limited the backfield depth. The mystery man then turned around and rushed for 49 yards, including a dazzling 24-yard touchdown, in the game Friday night.

It’s still unclear what, if anything, Campbell knew about his new back before those carries. GM Brad Holmes put Reynolds through his tryout this week and told Campbell that the free-agent back was in outstanding game shape; assistant head coach/RBs coach Duce Staley then pushed Campbell to use Reynolds a bit Friday.

And here we are. Such a cool, perfect preseason story. Now, we’ll see if Reynolds sticks through the first round of cuts on Monday.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Rodgers is seemingly playing out the remainder of his deal before he gets on the first plane out of Green Bay for whoever is going to give him a dump truck full of cash and Watson is listed low on the texans depth chart for some bizarre reason but still suiting up and going to camp even if he's not getting real reps and he apparently still wants to be traded.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

a neat cape posted:

If only there was a way to find out this information

the information can be found in this thread

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
:siren: TOM BRADY BSOHL :siren:

https://twitter.com/CarmieV/status/1425828971048955905?s=20

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Metapod posted:

Saying romo is Flacco/Eli tier is very fair and you are ignoring romos huge flaws if you think he's better

He has a reputation for turning the ball over a lot and in the first three years of his career that was true as he did throw a lot of INTs. Of course after that he dropped his INT% significantly, and the only time it was ever above 3% again were injury shortened years where he only played a couple of games. He ended up finishing with several years under 2%

Eli had a couple of years all throughout his career where he was pushing 5% and threw more than 20 picks 3 different times. He also has twice as many fumbles as Romo, albeit with more games played

code:
All time rankings:
Adjusted Yards/Attempt
Romo 8th 
Eli 63rd
Flacco 85th

Net Yards/Attempt
Romo 3rd all time
Eli 39th
Flacco 91st

Adjusted Net Yards/Attempt
Romo 7
Eli 38th
Flacco 59th

Comp%
Romo 10th
Flacco 39th
Eli 49th
I should apologize to Eli, comparing Flacco to him was too harsh. The only thing Flacco beats either of them in is INT%, as Flacco hasn't thrown as many picks as either Romo or Eli.

You guys are going to hate this but Romo actually compares really well to Peyton Manning for their career on a rating basis. Raw counting stats Manning is way ahead of him because he got to play for longer before breaking down. They have the same career Comp %, TD%, INT%, Romo edges him out in Y/A and Adj. Y/A, and Peyton edges him out in N/YA and Adj. N/YA. Romo has the slight edge in QB Rating.

Obviously Manning also has singular seasons that are better than Romo ever had too. I'm not bringing this up to say Romo was as good as Peyton, because he wasn't, just that you guys are looking at the wrong level of guy to put him in.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

thats true joe could actually win playoff games

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Mega64 posted:

The best quarterback is the most entertaining quarterback. That’s why the best quarterbacks are Mahomes, Jackson, and Fitzpatrick.

Nathan Peterman actually.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ah, but rings

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nodoze posted:

He has a reputation for turning the ball over a lot and in the first three years of his career that was true as he did throw a lot of INTs. Of course after that he dropped his INT% significantly, and the only time it was ever above 3% again were injury shortened years where he only played a couple of games. He ended up finishing with several years under 2%

Eli had a couple of years all throughout his career where he was pushing 5% and threw more than 20 picks 3 different times. He also has twice as many fumbles as Romo, albeit with more games played

code:
All time rankings:
Adjusted Yards/Attempt
Romo 8th 
Eli 63rd
Flacco 85th

Net Yards/Attempt
Romo 3rd all time
Eli 39th
Flacco 91st

Adjusted Net Yards/Attempt
Romo 7
Eli 38th
Flacco 59th

Comp%
Romo 10th
Flacco 39th
Eli 49th
I should apologize to Eli, comparing Flacco to him was too harsh. The only thing Flacco beats either of them in is INT%, as Flacco hasn't thrown as many picks as either Romo or Eli.

You guys are going to hate this but Romo actually compares really well to Peyton Manning for their career on a rating basis. Raw counting stats Manning is way ahead of him because he got to play for longer before breaking down. They have the same career Comp %, TD%, INT%, Romo edges him out in Y/A and Adj. Y/A, and Peyton edges him out in N/YA and Adj. N/YA. Romo has the slight edge in QB Rating.

Obviously Manning also has singular seasons that are better than Romo ever had too. I'm not bringing this up to say Romo was as good as Peyton, because he wasn't, just that you guys are looking at the wrong level of guy to put him in.

Thank you for this post.

I think if Romo goes with Payton to NOLA he gets at least two rings on the saints and goes into Canton. Instead he’s one if the best ever wasted by jerry and the clapper.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

i highly doubt romo would do better than drew brees

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Sour Diesel posted:

i highly doubt romo would do better than drew brees

At best he doesn't have the durability to match Brees, even if you put him in better circumstances.

I do think Romo is in this wierd place where he was so unfairly poo poo on (including by his own team's fanbase) that people over correct arguing the opposite. He was good and fun to watch but not a secret Hall of Famer or something.

Romo is a great example of how all good QBs suck with bad organizations should get the gently caress out ASAP. QBs who are good or even just average ultimately get paid no matter what, and being ~loyal~ to a dumbass team doesn't help your legacy.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

yeah poor Tony only had T.O. and prime Dez to throw to

Romo was a better QB than Eli and Flacco but I would not say he had a better career

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

AndrewP posted:

yeah poor Tony only had T.O. and prime Dez to throw to

Romo was a better QB than Eli and Flacco but I would not say he had a better career

Romo also played all his career with shitass coaches, and often lovely offensive lines and/or defenses, all of which are more important than having a big name WR.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Stafford is probably one of the best 'wasted' quarter backs and I'm so glad he went to the Rams.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm starting to think Nodoze is in love with Romo more than me hating the Cowboys

Also Eli had Kevin Gilbride making him throw at triple option routes at break points and had one maybe near all-pro player on his team his entire career so I guess we'll just forget about that too while Tony checks down to Witten for over 30% of all of his career passes.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Having placed himself atthe center of the nexus of death and human misery that is Florida, T*m's power will grow massively until his defeat by a chosen warrior

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sean10mm posted:

At best he doesn't have the durability to match Brees, even if you put him in better circumstances.
Romo is a great example of how all good QBs suck with bad organizations should get the gently caress out ASAP.

This seems really hard to do if you're any good at all since the teams have so much control. At least earlyish in your career.

Like, Kirk Cousins arguably made it happen eventually (for a certain level of good). I'm having trouble remembering anyone else since Carson Palmer, who was at peace with being retired before he got traded.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Tony Romo was a noodle arm qb with good processing ability who would push the ball too far beyond his ability which caused interceptions he's essentially more aggressive Alex Smith. I like Romo this make believe story that he was failed by coaching and really he was this elite qb needs to end he played in a soft division for most of his career and always had good supporting cast around him but couldn't consistently win the division (in coming oh look at his defense posts like that matters with actual elite qbs) because he simply isn't that guy. He is an Eli he is a Flacco.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think this discussion shows why individual player evaluations kind of just doesn’t work because ultimately it just devolved into wins and loses an ultimately team stat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Metapod posted:

Tony Romo was a noodle arm qb with good processing ability who would push the ball too far beyond his ability which caused interceptions he's essentially more aggressive Alex Smith. I like Romo this make believe story that he was failed by coaching and really he was this elite qb needs to end he played in a soft division for most of his career and always had good supporting cast around him but couldn't consistently win the division (in coming oh look at his defense posts like that matters with actual elite qbs) because he simply isn't that guy. He is an Eli he is a Flacco.

Alex Smith is like a combo of Eli and Flacco

code:
Alex Smith
Y/A: 109th
Adj. Y/A: 47th
Net Y/A: 104th
Adj. Net Y/A: 52nd
Again, not even in the same ballpark. Of all the criticisms I've heard of Romo, being a noodle arm isn't one of them. He wasn't a Farve level arm but he wasn't this noodle throwing up wounded ducks either

There is no way in the world he wasn't failed by coaching. I'm sorry but you can't look at Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett and say that poo poo with a straight face. Wade is/was a great DC, but he sucked rear end as a head coach. Jason Garrett just sucks rear end

There are a lot of lazy takes out there, but Romo is a lot better than people realize and a lot better than people will give him credit for.