Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

DickParasite posted:

The CVS at the corner doesn't ship their unused vaccines to Ghana at the end of the day, they go in the dumpster.

Better they go to goons for their third or fourth or fifth shot then they're just thrown away.

I mean, I think it’s more a bad look to be taking vaccines recreationally beyond the point there is medical evidence it’s helping you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Lodin posted:

And then there's this 70 year old hermit that lives in a cave in Serbia who has gotten the vaxx.

This crazy old bastard has more common sense than a lot of the idiots out there and that says something.
https://www.straitstimes.com/world/europe/serbian-cave-hermit-gets-covid-19-vaccine-urges-others-to-follow

He's not crazy. He escaped the rat race and is existing peacefully while contributing to the community he lives on the fringes of.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean, I think it’s more a bad look to be taking vaccines recreationally beyond the point there is medical evidence it’s helping you.

oh no not a bad look

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Oh shut the gently caress up, and go not post in the covid thread you're already banned from.

It's absolutely clear that boosters for immunocompromised, elderly, or those with short interval Pfizer doses will need boosters or will suffer a significant decline in efficacy.

It's tragic that the US is incapable of sharing IP or existing stockpiles, but that non-returnable retail stock in pharmacies is roughly 120 million doses and the vast majority will never be used before expiration.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Don’t worry. Biden said that the U.S. has already purchased all the vaccine supply that may be needed for boosters.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1420872663828926466

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Platystemon posted:

Don’t worry. Biden said that the U.S. has already purchased all the vaccine supply that may be needed for boosters.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1420872663828926466

in 3 weeks: it is absolutely vital that all eligible americans get a booster as soon as they are able to. trust the science.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

recreationally

youre sounding like a real rear end in a top hat right now

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Blitter posted:

Oh shut the gently caress up, and go not post in the covid thread you're already banned from.

Remember I got thread banned from the D&D thread for saying the vaccines were real when thread consensus was they were fake. And I dared call a tweet clickbait for correctly saying the CDC had ordered vaccine sites to get ready in october, and people were using that to mean "get ready for the fake vaccines trump was going to put out before safety testing had completed" instead of "get ready to start identifying and picking future vaccine sites"

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.

Thoguh posted:

If you are going to a bar weekly for lunch you aren't 'basically on lockdown' come the gently caress on.

Well, you're not wrong.

I just wanted to get out from the same four wall for an hour, once a week. So I was rolling the dice.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

aphid_licker posted:

Entire fuckin continents are begging for vaxes and you dipshits are wasting doses on the off chance that it does something to further increase your already all but guaranteed odds of coming through your infection just fine.

Major "mom says I should clean my plate because there's orphans starving in Africa" energy here.

edit: :thunk: wait. poo poo.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 14, 2021

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Remember I got thread banned from the D&D thread for saying the vaccines were real when thread consensus was they were fake. And I dared call a tweet clickbait for correctly saying the CDC had ordered vaccine sites to get ready in october, and people were using that to mean "get ready for the fake vaccines trump was going to put out before safety testing had completed" instead of "get ready to start identifying and picking future vaccine sites"

I concede that getting banned from the shitlib bobblehead thread is a mark of honor of sorts, even if you created it.

Also holy gently caress I'm glad I stayed out of it during the trmp admin phase because that kind of maga blue conspiracy bullshit is even stupider than the current endorsement of "the health economists have made it clear nothing better can be done".

Probably the latest take will kill more children so..

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There’s no doubt in my mind that the Trump administration would be fast‐tracking vaccines for kids.

Yeah it would be horrible political interference that would be corrosive to America’s most cherished institutions, but it would be happening.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Platystemon posted:

There’s no doubt in my mind that the Trump administration would be fast‐tracking vaccines for kids.

Yeah it would be horrible political interference that would be corrosive to America’s most cherished institutions, but it would be happening.

I mean, fast track more how? Order the FDA to not require a phase 3 trial? There's really not many more shortcuts they can take.

Like y'all realize this is an unprecedented fast track already right? Especially given we're dealing with entirely different doses here for kids there's only so many shortcuts you can take without the risk of "Oops we never checked to see if this modified dosing regimen had the needed efficacy on a large scale".

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 14, 2021

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Lmao

I guess to elaborate, wow

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I mean, fast track more how? Order the FDA to not require a phase 3 trial? There's really not many more shortcuts they can take.

Require two months of data rather than six.

My point here is not that Trump would have been better. It’s that Trump would absolutely have hosed with the process it is very convenient for OOCC’s narrative that he’s no longer in power.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 14, 2021

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

No, you got threadbanned because every single person in the loving thread was telling you to GTFO.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Platystemon posted:

Lol wut

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Trump tried to get the companies to announce before the vote that they had working vaccines without finishing their studies yet. They told him to gently caress off, so I kind of doubt he could have pushed stuff for kids in any way either.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Platystemon posted:

lol Dude

Have you forgotten that the GOP is an open-faced death cult and their favorite hobby is murdering children through neglect (especially in school)?

Trump would be railing against forcing the beautiful, preshish children to have the BIG needle stuck right in their arm, the thing is like a giant, it's really... it's one of the biggest things that you've seen, and then I have people telling me "Sir," they say, "Sir, I am so glad that you didn't force this upon my child"

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
As a long Covid Survivor I am just glad I get free breathing medication that is treating my lungs so I can breathe another day in this pandemic.

Too bad about the cough I will maybe have for the rest of my loving life. Thanks anti vaxxers!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AHH F/UGH posted:

lol Dude

Have you forgotten that the GOP is an open-faced death cult and their favorite hobby is murdering children through neglect (especially in school)?

Trump would be railing against forcing the beautiful, preshish children to have the BIG needle stuck right in their arm, the thing is like a giant, it's really... it's one of the biggest things that you've seen, and then I have people telling me "Sir," they say, "Sir, I am so glad that you didn't force this upon my child"

The GOP fights the vaccine because the campaign is happening on the Democrats’ watch.

If Donald Trump were in his second term, they would be all for the vaccine as key to having the bigliest economy that ever was.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Platystemon posted:

The GOP fights the vaccine because the campaign is happening on the Democrats’ watch.

If Donald Trump were in his second term, they would be all for the vaccine as key to having the bigliest economy that ever was.

Nah, they were already gearing up to fight the vaccine even when they thought he'd win re-election. Him calling it a hoax and just the flu really set the narrative in concrete no matter what else his administration did.

EDIT: IMO if Trump had won the election America's vaccine program would probably be weird schizophrenic messaging of Trump taking credit for it while also encouraging people not to take it.

Vernii fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 14, 2021

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Platystemon posted:

No chance lmao

The base that supports Trump is also the most anti-vax in the country.

Like, just imagine Trump saying "we want everyone to get vaccinated". Just like, mentally imagine him on stage in front of a podium saying something like that. Hint: You can't

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Vernii posted:

EDIT: IMO if Trump had won the election America's vaccine program would probably be weird schizophrenic messaging of Trump taking credit for it while also encouraging people not to take it.
Isn’t this exactly what he was doing around the time the vaccines were approved anyway?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Vernii posted:

Nah, they were already gearing up to fight the vaccine even when they thought he'd win re-election. Him calling it a hoax and just the flu really set the narrative in concrete no matter what else his administration did.

The Trump administration didn't have a national plan whatsoever. The whole thing was grifters and toadies put in place because of their incompetence, not in spite of it.

We'd be lucky to be at 30% by now, imo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Donald Trump would totally go up on stage and sell the vaccines like he sold beans and pillows and steaks.

The Trump base is antivax now as a consequence of recent circumstances. Ask anyone in 2019 where the centroid of antivax sentiment was and they’d point to kombucha‐sipping liberals.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Man, Trump would surely be doing so great right now. So great. I believe it, based on 4 years of his amazing work as President. How could you not believe it? He drained the swamp. Yeah. :beerpal:

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

dwarf74 posted:

The Trump administration didn't have a national plan whatsoever. The whole thing was grifters and toadies put in place because of their incompetence, not in spite of it.

We'd be lucky to be at 30% by now, imo.

Remember when he got the monoclonal antibody treatment but he couldn't remember all those words so he just kept calling it the Regeneron? Then he went on tv and kept telling the olds they'd all get the Regeneron? That was his plan. Tell people they'd get the Regeneron. No actual process in place to make that happen, just repeat it on tv.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The GOP are actively wanting the death count under Biden to go higher than Trump’s just so they can point fingers. It doesn’t bother them that it’s their base that are making it up.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Platystemon posted:

The Trump base is antivax now as a consequence of recent circumstances. Ask anyone in 2019 where the centroid of antivax sentiment was and they’d point to kombucha‐sipping liberals.
Now they have a weird antivaxx alliance!

Back when news of the impending mRNA vaccines was first coming out, I thought that Covid being as bad as it is might finally allow for a deathblow to the antivaxx movement. Because surely they were only able to be antivaxx because they didn’t live through the horrors of smallpox and polio, right?

lol. lmao.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKCe8Pq_RUA

Boy, this hunk of a man would be knocking it out of the park right now. Wish he was still in charge.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Even if he did (which again, imagine him saying that. Like literally close your eyes and mentally try to picture it lol) he'd do a lovely job (like he did with steaks) and yeah we'd be at 30% MAYBE

The kombucha liberals were like .001% of the left, it's like 70% of the right now.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

gently caress, if only MAN WHO STARED DIRECTLY AT THE SUN was still around, none of these incompetent FOOLS would be flailing around looking for answers. He would be doing it RIGHT I tell ya! He would be loving ordering people around and the CDC would be running like clockwork!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0I4f8PasIU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Many such doses!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Did you not SEE how he solved ALL emergency crisises, like Hurricane Porrrrrrto Rrrrrico? Just picture that kind of efficiency and logistical competency applied to healthcare. Less money wasted, NO money wasted, more health! The best health! Bigly, tremendous health, for all! Real shame he's not around to run things anymore!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEe7_zgZbuI

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Ok I'm done or I'll be here all night

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The potential of higher vaccine uptake in a world where DJT had a second term is not an endorsement of the man. It is an indictment of the GOP strategy of spite.

DJT is not some kind of Dark Age modifier from a paradox game that makes everything in your civilization thirty percent worse. He made things worse through his role as the head of state and head of government and, guess what, the attitude his base had toward federal executive authority flipped when the office changed hands.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blitter posted:

It's absolutely clear that boosters for immunocompromised, elderly, or those with short interval Pfizer doses will need boosters or will suffer a significant decline in efficacy.

It's tragic that the US is incapable of sharing IP or existing stockpiles, but that non-returnable retail stock in pharmacies is roughly 120 million doses and the vast majority will never be used before expiration.

Israel has already administered booster shots to several million of their elderly residents and will be expanding that to everyone over 50 in the country.

Pfizer presented the CDC with data that booster shots would be required after a certain point and the CDC baulked but are starting to come around, with the FDA approving booster shots for certain immunocompromised people only yesterday

Australia always assumed booster shots would be required and factored that into their initial vaccine orders

It's hilarious that some people are yelling "Noooooo we have to wait for The Science!!" when entire countries have already jumped headfirst into their booster programs

ETA: the CDC has also fallen into line with the FDA recommendation
https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1426287326045609984

ETA2: but it's also a horrible indictment on the richer countries of the world that they're hoarding 3rd doses for their populations (and throwing out millions of unused doses) when billions of people worldwide haven't even received their first dose. It's a global clusterfuck

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 14, 2021

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Donald Trump would endorse vaccines on Monday and Tuesday he'd be saying we need to slow down vaccine uptake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Platystemon posted:

The potential of higher vaccine uptake in a world where DJT had a second term is not an endorsement of the man. It is an indictment of the GOP strategy of spite.

DJT is not some kind of Dark Age modifier from a paradox game that makes everything in your civilization thirty percent worse. He made things worse through his role as the head of state and head of government and, guess what, the attitude his base had toward federal executive authority flipped when the office changed hands.

Yeah the 25% hardest core Republican base was super respectful of and deferential to federal public health authority before January 2021, that's definitely true, sure, yeah.