Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

This is all a staring contest between the Texans and the NFL. Neither wants to be financially liable for the fallout of making him not play.

If that was the case the Texans would just make him QB1, announce he's starting the first preseason game, and force Goodell's hand. Stuffing him at QB4 and waiting for those three first round picks to come in is normal Texans incompetence.

e: Page 71 snipe. The 71 Oilers went 4-9-1 with the four wins being against teams with even worse records. Rookie QB Dan Pastronini threw 7 TDs and 21 INTs (one of his better seasons) and it's still the only team that threw three INTs in ten games in a season. The early 70s were a tough time for the Oilers and didn't handle the transition to the NFL well. The Oilers went 17-52-2 in the NFL until Bum Phillips was hired.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/sarahbarshop/status/1425822752997474309

hm I wonder what the reason could be

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's interesting how abruptly he dropped his persona once all this came out.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I know he has to be there to avoid being fined but can’t they keep him on some conditioning bike inside?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's interesting how abruptly he dropped his persona once all this came out.

I don't think he's done this quite yet, at least in his mind. His lawyer is doing all of that and he's not involved. That could be considered as a playful interaction with a bad word attached watching the video. It's a super dumb thing to do of course if he thought it was a good idea.

I mean, he can go to hell I just don't think this will do anything but push people to whatever conclusions they've already drawn.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I know he has to be there to avoid being fined but can’t they keep him on some conditioning bike inside?

They really should make up a nagging injury for him, which seems like a tool Nick Caserio should be familiar with. Or maybe they tried and DeShaun was like 'no I'd rather go play safety on the scout team.'

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I desire more content of Watson realizing people don't like him as much anymore.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I wish this was less horrible so I could post bad jokes about it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I know this is irrational but I wish people were bothering Dabo more about this

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

GD_American posted:

I know this is irrational but I wish people were bothering Dabo more about this

I wish Urban got more crap for Hernandez, et Al under his watch too but media is not going to criticize the coach unless it's Paterno-level negligence

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

More great reporting from SI.

The NFL investigation has been a loving clownshow.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/08/13/the-problems-with-deshaun-watson-nfl-investigation

It's long so I don't want to post the whole thing, but uh...here's how it starts.

quote:

By the time Ashley Solis met with NFL investigators, via Zoom call in April, she had already cleared many of the hurdles that come with bringing serious allegations against a high-profile celebrity. The 28-year-old licensed massage therapist was the first woman to file a suit against Deshaun Watson, describing sexual misconduct by the Texans quarterback. She forfeited her privacy by naming herself even before the courts required it, opening her up to a torrent of online abuse. She also met with Houston police to file a report. Even after all that, Solis was taken aback by questions posed by NFL investigators.

“This woman asked me what I was wearing, which honestly really pissed me off,” Solis told Sports Illustrated in what was her first interview with a media outlet. “She explained that that’s something that she has to ask—which I don’t believe at all. I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be wearing that would suggest that I don’t want you to put your penis on my hand. Do I need to wear a turtleneck?”

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Ehud posted:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/08/13/the-problems-with-deshaun-watson-nfl-investigation

It's long so I don't want to post the whole thing, but uh...here's how it starts.

Lmao jfc

gently caress the NFL

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So the NFL investigations have literally not changed since the Ray Rice debacle.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

When law enforcement is more sensitive and better trained to deal with victims of sexual trauma...

quote:

“My forensic interview [with HPD] was very respectful and trauma-informed,” Baxley says. “They let me speak uninterrupted, whereas with Lisa Friel and the [other NFL investigator], they would cut me off, they would question things, they would circle back.” Baxley believes that they were “trying to trip me up. They didn’t, but they were really looking for the weaknesses that they thought they could exploit.”

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Ehud posted:

I completely believe that owners would require that kind of question be asked.

Also unsurprised they're in full Protect The Shield for a star player. Just genuinely terrible people.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ah yes the old argument that men can't be held responsible for being unable to control themselves so its up to women to prevent it

just waiting for someone to use the "if I get mugged while flashing a bunch of money it's my own fault" chestnut

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What’s weird is the NFL investigation wouldn’t be public, they never are. When the NBA looked into Billups they just said he’s clear move on no further details..

So character assassination seems pointless

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So the NFL investigations have literally not changed since the Ray Rice debacle.

It's probably all the same people in charge of them still

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Finished reading that story and Jesus christ those poor women. :smith:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

really queer Christmas posted:

Finished reading that story and Jesus christ those poor women. :smith:

yeah...

It makes me think about all the people who ask, "Why didn't they just kick him out? Why didn't they tell anyone what Watson did?"

Read their accounts. The power dynamic between a superstar QB and a self employed massage therapist is so vast. These women were terrified that they would lose everything if they made Watson upset.

quote:

“I knew he could destroy my reputation as a professional massage therapist, if he somehow turned it around that I had initiated some sort of sexual contact,” she says. “I was terrified. Not just for my career, not just for my license getting revoked, but also for my personal relationship with my partner. … There were layers and layers to what was happening in my mind, but physically, I felt like I was chained to that table.”

:smith:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ehud posted:

yeah...

It makes me think about all the people who ask, "Why didn't they just kick him out? Why didn't they tell anyone what Watson did?"

Read their accounts. The power dynamic between a superstar QB and a self employed massage therapist is so vast. These women were terrified that they would lose everything if they made Watson upset.

:smith:

All the stuff they feared would happen is what's happening with their fear being used as the justification

It's pretty disgusting

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Imagine the league working this hard to keep Colin Kaepernick in

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

CharlestheHammer posted:

What’s weird is the NFL investigation wouldn’t be public, they never are. When the NBA looked into Billups they just said he’s clear move on no further details..

So character assassination seems pointless
Less character assassination, more of badgering the witness so they give up. The NFL wants to keep up the pressure and make the women feel the trauma again so they drop the suits. The cruelty is the point.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 13, 2021

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ok, dumb loving question time. Why talk to the an NFL investigator at all?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Colostomy Bag posted:

To get him in trouble with his employer.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

I remember some media people criticizing how it was suspicious that that lawyer wasn’t originally letting the women talk to the NFL.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Colostomy Bag posted:

If you don't talk at all times about everything then you're clearly hiding things.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Yeah it's all of those. Important to remember the average person is dumb as hell and suspects the accuser in every case of rich people being garbage.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

If you ask for a lawyer it means you’re guilty.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

The NFL media machine is warming up for Watson's accusers

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1426292441800486919

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
If he goes unsigned, do those six games stay hanging over his head forever?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Yes

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1426272713757310977

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/AmyDashTV/status/1426301369229709321

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Get his rear end

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Well that’s an escalation.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
NFL just sitting on their goddamn hands

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Shinjobi posted:

NFL just sitting on their goddamn hands

They asked what they were wearing what more do you want

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Why would anyone cooperate with an nfl investigation Jesus.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Send his loving rear end to jail gently caress him forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Glad to see after all these accusers and all of these months, Florio's tone hasn't changed.

quote:

Although 22 civil lawsuits have been filed against Watson, 10 individuals (as of last count) had filed criminal complaints. Only very few allege forcible sexual contact by Watson. However, it takes only one credible witness to prompt an indictment and, eventually and potentially, a conviction.