Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

re: is it worth it to send kids back - I have no doubt that the kids are getting screwed over by remote learning. I’m sure there’s going to be measurable differences to previous generations. weighed against the alternative, though, it’s an absolute no brainer.

I have that long hauler thing, and nothing in my entire existence has so drastically altered and diminished my life than chronic brain fog. it’s been absolutely devastating. Had a full neuropsych eval - previously had an IQ of 142, measured after getting sick its 118. All the other areas of my brain and work up are what they were, except short term memory and processing speed are now in the bottom 1% of the population, and so diminished as to offset the entire rest of the results by that many points - it’s like my brain doesn’t belong to me anymore. dizziness, major nausea/GI symptoms, reaction speed, tremors, can’t think straight - any kind of moment to moment thought is drastically lower, I have to have things explained to me 8 times that I could’ve previously picked up after 1. my ability to form new memories and learn new things is wrecked - I’m just glad I got it I’m my late 20s rather than as a kid, because a lot of the stuff I already learned I kept, it’s forming new things that’s almost impossible.

I’ve had trouble holding a job, and at the age of 30 had to move back in with my parents. I take 20 pills a day. my mental health is tenable at best.

if you love your kids, don’t send them back to school. it’s not worth it.

Jeez I'm really sorry man, that's awful. Truly hope it begins to subside.

If you don't mind me asking, how long ago were you infected & how severe were the symptoms? I'm trying to inform some fam on the true level of risk and longcov is hard to distill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Thoguh posted:

I need to never read D&D, why do I do that to myself.
you have the protection of the star. if not you, then who?!?!

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

are there actual specific definitions for mild vs serious cases of covid or does it change depending on the study

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

quote:

Not being exposed to the wider world as much as pre-pandemic children and instead spending their infancy with stressed adults has left them at a significant mental disadvantage than their slightly older peers, according to the not-yet-peer-reviewed findings published Wednesday.

lmfao

It’s hard to believe kids being in daycare with 15 other babies and only two teachers is better than being at home with mom and dad even if working full time.

We had a covid baby but also childcare, the only difference from our first and second was our first went to different classes and events from 6mo old and on and she is fairly advanced for her age. Our second hasn’t but he got way more quality time with mom and dad

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

cool, normal, and good.

v hyped.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

i am harry posted:

can confirm, my zoro tools order arrived today:

I'm glad folks are having good experiences with Zoro. I recommended them off two purchases, but the CS in particular was stellar. I'd gotten a secure click mask off Digikey earlier and went to buy hard carts for it, but hosed up and got the non-P100 ones. Shot them an email and got the "we'll get back to you ASAP but you should call if this is time sensitive" email, figured I had time since it was Friday afternoon and there's no way they'd ship out before Monday. Twenty minutes later I got the shipping notification, then about thirty later I got an email saying "whoops, you should've called us but don't worry, we're refunding your money and just keep or donate the carts." So I'm glad I was able to repay that by sending a bunch of crack-pinged goons their way. :)

I think their volume must be going up because my first two orders were in these fancy branded boxes that unfolded like origami and my last one came in an enormous blank box sized for a case of toilet paper or something.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

squirrelzipper posted:

ok but are these anecdotally the same parents that are helping their “dumb” kid pass a meaningless quiz or w/e? just having a hard time keeping track here of why we have to reopen the plague lands, sorry.
ive said explicitly schools shouldnt be in person, not as long as this country decides that peoples personal freedom is worth hundreds of thousands of human lives and immeasurable amounts of human misery.

anyways fwiw the test was a standardized test he took at the beginning of the year and at the end. in the fall, he scored super high, way way above his previous score—indicating he had help. i talked with his parents about this and they did help him, i let them know yeah you cant do that. in the spring his score plummeted, but was actually pretty high growth based on his fall 2019 scores. i helped him one-on-one throughout the year and mom and dad seemed to be helping too.

kid was still dum as hell tho

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

No but you see it's going to be endemic so we need to learn to live with it lmao

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

going outside makes me so angry lol

all these dipshits without masks

lol. lmao

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

oh cool, remember when biden gave everyone free healthcare to prevent life ruining medical debt from happening during a pandemic?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

I have 2 kids, my son graduated high school in 2020 (lucky fucker) and barely had to do remote anyways as he was on an academic track that meant most of his work in grade 12 was self paced. My daughter is going into grade 4 and is a very social athletic kid who is also a good student. Last year remote was really hard, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat if it means she doesn't get exposed to a novel and potentially life long debilitating disease - and in fact am doing so! This idea that's there no better options is a complete loving failure of our society and justifying it is complicit.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Oregon’s mask mandate started back up today. Earlier I went to the store to pick up some cold fizzy water because it’s a hundred degrees, and an old white dude came in without a mask. Guy behind the counter told him to mask up, the guy immediately started screaming and demanding to know when this bullshit started, and by the time I looked back to him the worker was already holding up today’s newspaper and pointing at the headline about masks because he had clearly been dealing with this for hours already. The guy stormed out screaming about how Jackson county is loving us, but the weird part was when he came back in with an honest to god n95. It was the good kind with the two straps that go behind your head, and he had only affixed the top one.

None of that surprised me until the n95 worn halfway correctly. It appeared to be pristine and he got to it real fast, so it wasn’t some forgotten thing he had to find on the floor of his car. Who is this man going around with n95s that he’s mad about wearing? Why not put it on right?

The clerk guy was immediately yelling at me about how he has to wear a mask twelve hours a day so what’s this guy’s problem, I was wearing an elastomeric and being all “tell me about it bro,” it was a funny scene. I only wish I had my sickos shirt on to turn it into a full live action Kelly comic.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Gripweed posted:

this kicks rear end I love to live through the premise of a sci-fi novel

reads like propaganda for gene therapy.

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

holy shiiit florida added 1071 deaths today

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

osprey posted:

lol seems fine

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

my feed is chock full of these

https://twitter.com/Steve_Irvin/status/1426319248591261700

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1426370752597606403

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1426151557897224192

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

i’m in oregon too and nowhere is enforcing mask mandates including my work

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Keep sharing em so I can create a mosaic and hang it outside the office of our education minister.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Louisgod posted:

I purposefully cut my dick off and am going to the hospital a week later to see if there's anything that can be done

-america's current response to delta

sorry, but the hospital is full of patients on catheters and we don’t have room for you

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches

osprey posted:

my feed is chock full of these

fuuuuuuuuck

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

well im sure all the school districts that have yet to open will learn from these reports.....

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Just so funny that not a single school is willing to take preemptive action

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

inferis posted:

i’m in oregon too and nowhere is enforcing mask mandates including my work

I'll admit to being at least mildly surprised to not see a sign about requiring masks when I went to home depot today. Ah well!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

osprey posted:

Deaths lag behind cases, right? So if their cases look like this:

...and their deaths look like this:

Then we're about to see some real poo poo.

wash bucket has issued a correction as of 04:19 on Aug 14, 2021

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

corona familiar posted:

thought i'd join the booster party

new account but long time lurker

can't stop laughing at this

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

its so loving funny seeing libs go from “no masks! :)” to “WE NEED MASKS BACK!” in a little over a month.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

I'm in the heart of the city, so that probably has something to do with it. The two places I have gone so far (and pretty much the only places I go), the convenience store and my building, both have new signs up about the mandate, so that's a hundred percent compliance if you're me.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Google Butt posted:

fyi im going full madjackel 2 weeks after my booster

inshallah

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist
a little bright note for you all---

one of the things we've really enjoyed while truly isolating the last 18 months is these virtual classes or experiences through like cozymeal or air b&b. we've done a whole bunch of cooking & alcohol classes but tonight was our first non-edible one and i just wanted to highly recommend it---just google "tiny theatre air b&b". super entertaining, very funny, and also at the end very interesting insight into the industry & how protective their union & theater company was even during the lull in cases this summer.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Gio posted:

its so loving funny seeing libs go from “no masks! :)” to “WE NEED MASKS BACK!” in a little over a month.

and like all good comedy, it's built on a mountain of corpses

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

McCracAttack posted:

Y'all have seen this guy on YouTube, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKZqFDuVVY0

For some reason I was looking at his videos and I sorted them by date, oldest first. Turns out he's been on YouTube for 14 years!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmkH87YPN4g

oh drat that early video, lol that's awesome. that had to be recorded like 30 years ago i hope.. if not drat that's a hell of a 14 years

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

kalensc posted:

Keep sharing em so I can create a mosaic and hang it outside the office of our education minister.

https://twitter.com/LuckyGiGi5/status/1426152319486414848

https://twitter.com/TracySasser3/status/1426320489853689859

https://twitter.com/Jessnj4554/status/1426271681333633033

https://twitter.com/GYamey/status/1426189042073354243

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

lol so unironically I know people who this actually helps because it deals with blood flow.

my understanding is that POTS (kind of a catch all diagnosis for autonomic dysfunction characterized by heart rate fluctuations well outside the norm during postural changes) affects everyone differently, so I can only vouch for my own experience, and a lot of medications out there that help me don’t help others, and vice versa.

there are no FDA approved medications specifically for POTS. I was diagnosed by a neurologist from a thing called a tilt table test. it took me over two years from getting sick to get an actual diagnosis, for a long time I thought I was dying and no one knew. everyone I saw told me it was anxiety, and I’ve had mental health struggles in the past, but I dropped 30lbs in 3 months and no one could figure it out. first they found a tumor, then a separate stomach thing, and when none of those surgeries solved it they just gave up for a while and I didn’t leave the house.

I take colestipol off label which helps with IBS like symptoms, which were bad enough at one point to where I couldn’t attend things too far away from a restroom because I’d get maybe 90 seconds notice.

I take Prazosin off label for adrenal issues, there are subtypes of POTS, mine is hyperadrenergic, which means that my fight or flight response is properly hosed. I used to work a high stress, high pressure job in the arts, and I went from series regular lead role work to being unable to do background work because I’d pass out on set. I’ve had to alter situations I put myself in, anything that’s exciting sets things off - my body can’t really tell the difference between good stress and bad stress, it all just makes me throw up and pass out. I certainly no longer ride a motorcycle, and for a while was unable to drive a car. part of the adrenal fatigue is apparently what causes the brain fog, it’s not structural brain damage like you’d find in a stroke, but more lack of bloodflow to the brain and overstimulation from adrenaline stuff that causes the areas of cognitive impairment.

I take Wellbutrin and Lamotrigine for my mental health. things got incredibly dark for me when I got sick. I was super career motivated and the most successful member of my graduating class, and when that went away my sense of self went with it. began to self harm, wrote a note, wound up going into inpatient mental health treatment. one of the shittiest things about invisible illness is that it kind of just presents as laziness, and an issue of character rather than chemistry/biology - girlfriend left, family thought I was just faking. it’s really hard to see a point in a life where you have to avoid anything exciting because your body can’t handle anything too fun. I needed significant help with my mental health. I also take ambien because nights are when my mental health gets the worst, and I think about the life I had vs the life I have now, and I spin out. I’ll get off that one day, but not right now.

I take massive amounts of salt, both in electrolyte liquids and salt pills, to keep my blood volume up so I don’t get dizzy and pass out. everyone else is supposed to cut their sodium intake, but I have minimum 5 grams of salt and 120oz of water per day.

I take promethazine as needed for nausea when nothing else helps.

I take a few supplements that everyone else takes.

I know people who have POTS my age who didn’t know they had it and have no symptoms, and others who are in full time hospice care. I’m kind of in the middle.

fwiw, my mental health is significantly better than it was when I first got sick.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

The best(worst?) part about the diabetes thing is unless it's a ridiculously obvious correlation it's going to be hard to determine which ones were already suffering from untreated diabetes long before COVID finally forced them to spend money on a doctor.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Sunny Side Up posted:

a little bright note for you all---

one of the things we've really enjoyed while truly isolating the last 18 months is these virtual classes or experiences through like cozymeal or air b&b. we've done a whole bunch of cooking & alcohol classes but tonight was our first non-edible one and i just wanted to highly recommend it---just google "tiny theatre air b&b". super entertaining, very funny, and also at the end very interesting insight into the industry & how protective their union & theater company was even during the lull in cases this summer.

Today's my 250th consecutive day of doing spanish lessons on duolingo, that's kind of cool. My spanish isn't a lot better than it was, but I'm starting to get some of the basic ideas down. It's not much, but I'm kind of proud of myself.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

osprey posted:

hoooooly poo poo

they had like 350 in a day earlier this week and people were fast to say oh don't worry it's all backlog

god drat

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Real Mean Queen posted:

Oregon’s mask mandate started back up today. Earlier I went to the store to pick up some cold fizzy water because it’s a hundred degrees, and an old white dude came in without a mask. Guy behind the counter told him to mask up, the guy immediately started screaming and demanding to know when this bullshit started, and by the time I looked back to him the worker was already holding up today’s newspaper and pointing at the headline about masks because he had clearly been dealing with this for hours already. The guy stormed out screaming about how Jackson county is loving us, but the weird part was when he came back in with an honest to god n95. It was the good kind with the two straps that go behind your head, and he had only affixed the top one.

None of that surprised me until the n95 worn halfway correctly. It appeared to be pristine and he got to it real fast, so it wasn’t some forgotten thing he had to find on the floor of his car. Who is this man going around with n95s that he’s mad about wearing? Why not put it on right?

The clerk guy was immediately yelling at me about how he has to wear a mask twelve hours a day so what’s this guy’s problem, I was wearing an elastomeric and being all “tell me about it bro,” it was a funny scene. I only wish I had my sickos shirt on to turn it into a full live action Kelly comic.

You found the fabled person this thread talks about occasionally, who would probably do the right thing if the various smart people clubs could maintain some sort of consistency.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

corona familiar posted:

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

lol

corona familiar posted:

oh my loving god :lmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

empty whippet box posted:

desantis is going to be president after biden and anyone doubting this at this point is too brain poisoned by liberal copium to confront reality as it is

no it’s going to be trmbpu