Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

Real Mean Queen posted:

Today's my 250th consecutive day of doing spanish lessons on duolingo, that's kind of cool. My spanish isn't a lot better than it was, but I'm starting to get some of the basic ideas down. It's not much, but I'm kind of proud of myself.

Bueno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

hoooooly poo poo

they had like 350 in a day earlier this week and people were fast to say oh don't worry it's all backlog

god drat

doesnt florida only publish deaths weekly

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Gio posted:

its so loving funny seeing libs go from “no masks! :)” to “WE NEED MASKS BACK!” in a little over a month.

all the libs i know who aren't terminally online are completely unaware of what's going on too. some friends were planning a gathering at the zoo this weekend and I scared the poo poo out of them with stats, articles, etc. about the growing cases, vaccine waning, breakthrough cases, transmission between vaccinated, need for boosters, etc.

people are completely loving clueless and think yaaaay hot girl summer!!!

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

corona familiar posted:

thought i'd join the booster party

new account but long time lurker

plz tweet this at ding

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

nomad2020 posted:

You found the fabled person this thread talks about occasionally, who would probably do the right thing if the various smart people clubs could maintain some sort of consistency.

That's what kind of struck me, he yelled at the clerk, but he didn't really attack him as the cause of this. He knew this wasn't this man's idea, he immediately blamed it on the unvaxxinated chuds down south. If he hadn't been lied to and had his hopes hosed around with, he might not be mad about this today

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

corona familiar posted:

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

corona familiar posted:

lol

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

holy poo poo, so that means:
- Dallas
- Louisiana (the whole drat state)
- Tennessee (the whole drat state)
- Arkansas (the whole drat state)

all have near zero children ICU beds

holy.
poo poo.

mod sassinator has issued a correction as of 04:34 on Aug 14, 2021

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
My dipshit mom pulled me out of school from 6th-7th grade because my dads abuse was getting too obvious and she needed to hide it. I "home schooled"* and landed back in 8th grade almost on track - little trouble with math but I was never great at math and my mom was dumber than a sack of rocks.

There's kids who come through literal years of war who catch back up and end up where they need to be.

The kids will be all right.

Or the radiation from all the playground equipment piping that the oil industry donated will melt their brains. Whatever.

Staying safe from covid and falling a little behind on the weird rear end expectations we set on kids is probably fine in comparison to that.

Cant be worse than boomer brain

*my mom bought some lovely gateway christian curriculum which I threw into the trash and then I mostly just read random cool library books and looked at poo poo I thought was cool.

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mod sassinator posted:

oh drat that early video, lol that's awesome. that had to be recorded like 30 years ago i hope.. if not drat that's a hell of a 14 years

wait until you get 14 years older then say this again mother fucker

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

so is 6 months when I should get booster? Is there any consensus about switching up the third vaccine types or should I just go for a third moderna?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Buck Wildman posted:

cool, this is freedom huh

yeah it’s got real “don’t tread on me” energy

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

osprey posted:

holy shiiit florida added 1071 deaths today

https://twitter.com/MiamiHerald/status/1421633182668099587?s=20
rolling loud and the SOSCUBA protests sure were worth it

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/WFLAJustin/status/1426262523888734216
'i have 108 patients in my 29-bed ER'

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

all of these are about double for a week what in person school for all k-12 of King county was for all of last year.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Lenin Stimpy posted:

wait until you get 14 years older then say this again mother fucker

lol john's in his early 60s IIRC, he's retired

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

mod sassinator posted:

all the libs i know who aren't terminally online are completely unaware of what's going on too. some friends were planning a gathering at the zoo this weekend and I scared the poo poo out of them with stats, articles, etc. about the growing cases, vaccine waning, breakthrough cases, transmission between vaccinated, need for boosters, etc.

people are completely loving clueless and think yaaaay hot girl summer!!!

I did a job interview at an engineering firm this week and i came in wearing a kn95. Got to the conference room and the guy says "you can take that off if you're vaccinated."
I say "i am, but the pfizer vaccine is only 40% effective against delta"
He says "huh"
After the interview they took me on a tour of the office. I was the only person wearing a mask out of like 100. Lmao.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

kalensc posted:

Jeez I'm really sorry man, that's awful. Truly hope it begins to subside.

If you don't mind me asking, how long ago were you infected & how severe were the symptoms? I'm trying to inform some fam on the true level of risk and longcov is hard to distill.

So while I have the thing a lot of the long haulers have, I didn't get it from Covid. POTS is an autonomic disorder that gets brought on by trauma to the body in some way - surgery, childbirth, accidents, infections, a whole bunch of stuff. So what the longhaulers are running into, where they get infected and then recover and test negative, but still have super rough symptoms without any indicators of illness - a lot of that is POTS, specifically brain fog and fainting and nausea and GI stuff and orthostatic intolerance, but it manifests in a bunch of ways. There are longterm complications from covid that aren't POTS, but POTS is one of the main ones that covid longhaulers get.

I got sick in January 2018. Didn't get a diagnosis until end of 2019. Things have improved, but my life will never look close to the same as it did. I had to leave the career I trained for and worked in for close to 15 years, and haven't held a steady job since I got sick. I'm 32 years old now, and prior to this was in otherwise pretty solid health.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

- Dallas

holy.
poo poo.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Won't somebody please think of the test scores?!?!!???

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

at least joe biden is doing nothing about millions of children being thrown into meatgrinders after months of openly demanding that this should happen

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i've had sore arms and a sore throat the last few days, is this covid

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Safely opening biden

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/MiamiHerald/status/1421633182668099587?s=20
rolling loud and the SOSCUBA protests sure were worth it

believe (the immortal) science.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

actionjackson posted:

yes and/or no

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

actionjackson posted:

on the west coast it's business as usual in fire season

Pulvis Sumus
Jul 27, 2011
My wife and I would see a car parked outside a school every time we went on a walk in our old neighborhood last year that had "Teachers for a safe reopening! We deserve a choice!" written on the windows. Seeing all this news about school infections makes me wonder if she's going to double down or erase that poo poo in short order. I know the answer deep down in my heart, though. Looks like the bespoke child sized coffin industry is really set to kick off.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Google Butt posted:

Just so funny that not a single school is willing to take preemptive action

are they really that arrogant and stupid to think they'll be special? are they just cowards who need to be able to point to a currently happening harmful thing before they can muster the courage to take any action? of course this was what would happen! did none of them plan for what to do if a kid had covid spewing out of him all day in a packed classroom? is this what they planned to do? if it is why even loving try to do the semester like this at all? it's so incredibly disruptive and so completely certain to happen that you'd rather just skip to the part that they planned for if "a sick kid at school" happened like 4 or 5 times in a row. i hope they planned for that absolutely certain eventuality because they're at that point now, like a week into school.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Zokari posted:

ahh yep looks like they had 1071 deaths this week

i guess give it 2-3 weeks and they'll be hitting that in a day

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
#OpenUpPlaylist brought to you by #CocaCola
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmmtT55uu_o

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

McCracAttack posted:

Deaths lag behind cases, right? So if their cases look like this:

...and their deaths look like this:

Then we're about to see some real poo poo.

my estimate a few days ago was a peak of 50k in a day. loooking a lot more realistic now huh

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
https://twitter.com/McJesse/status/1426381757297807366

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Casey Finnigan posted:

yeah I told my sister to stop taking her 7 month old baby to the public pool and stuff like that and she said "oh come on babies barely get sick from covid if they even get it. And masks are crap and they don't even really work."

and I just gotta be like... okay. I don't get how she's worried enough to stay home and avoid working in the office but not worried enough to be safe in any other way

the answer is simple and it is directly related to how convenient the behavior is

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

Zokari posted:

they tried to switch to weekly updates but it didn't really work out for them. now we're back to getting sorta daily updates, sometimes it's every 2-3 days

they also changed how they're reporting deaths, to muddy the waters even further

https://twitter.com/SunSentinel/status/1426296037518585863

(non paywall link)

along with poo poo like going back and quietly revising previous numbers, announcing updates late at night after all the olds have turned off the news and gone to bed, completely eliminating their own official covid dashboard site, etc

basically just totally loving around making everything as confusing and unclear as they possibly can

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mod sassinator posted:

lol john's in his early 60s IIRC, he's retired

hahaha I know, john's an awesome guy and is prob one of the best medical channels on youtube! but cut us a little slack here he looks a lot better than i do after a 14 year gap :)

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

:shrug: oh well

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

the civil war caused on average 500 deaths a day. we dipped below 500 deaths a day six weeks ago (and are already back above it again), and have been above 500 deaths a day for the entirety of the 18 months of pandemic.

it's an incredibly large number of deaths.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

mod sassinator posted:

- Dallas

holy.
poo poo.

Kids don't get covid, the CDC said so

Baddog
May 12, 2001

fosborb posted:

the first round of vaccines were approved weeks ahead of time because the huge surge of infections got them enough efficacy data faster than expected

so, uh, sliver of hope for early pediatric approval?

I'm afraid it's gonna be bad news for efficacy now, and they're gonna be "welp it's only 40% so gently caress it, I guess we do nothing for your kids, lol"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Real Mean Queen posted:

Today's my 250th consecutive day of doing spanish lessons on duolingo, that's kind of cool. My spanish isn't a lot better than it was, but I'm starting to get some of the basic ideas down. It's not much, but I'm kind of proud of myself.

Add in one lesson from Language Transfer a day and you'll learn a ton more. I started with that and then went to duo lingo for vocab. I'm on day 100 or something there.