Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mainwaring posted:

I was nervous about PvP because I saw there were loads of different skills and I was nervous about fitting them on my crowded hotbars. But are you saying that the hotbars are completely separate so that's no issue?

PVP is effectively completely separate from PVE, yeah. When you go into a PVP area or the Wolves' Den, you lose access to your normal actions, and gain a separate set of PVP-specific actions. Stats are completely normalized, so there's no advantages that can be gained via gear or levels; someone going into a Frontline instance at level 30 is exactly the same as someone going in at level 80.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Also a full pvp hotbar set has probably fewer than half the buttons as a PvE level 80. It's heavily simplified to compensate for the extra pvp chaos.

Would definitely recommend putting the same buttons on the same hotkey to retain muscle memory though.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

EVERY hotbar is swapped out for PVP, so even things like mounts or gear set buttons will disappear. You can actually change jobs during PVP though, in the spawn area. You still get XP for the job you queued as, so if you don't like how one plays you can still get the rewards.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

That's great, I'm much more interested in giving PvP a go now if I'm leveling an alt job

cams
Mar 28, 2003

pvp is the only daily i make sure to try and do every day, other than the most important thing in final fantasy fourteen, my mog scratchoff ticket. it gives access to a) level 50 and 60 gear that isn't that bad, and b) sick mogs. if you're brand new and tired of looking like a clown, once you've hit 30 do your pvp daily and eventually look cool as heck! i mean, look at this siiiiiiiick gear

wait hold on that's not right

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

if you're brand new and tired of looking like a clown, boy do we have some options to make you look even MORE like a clown!!

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

You can get the black mage ARR PVP set and have the biggest, bushiest tail ever.

Edit: Ain't nobody gonna call a big bad wolf like you a clown.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
The animal sets were an ARR special. Stormblood gets some swank Greek/Roman style outfits and one of the SHB sets basically let you cosplay as Raiden from Metal Gear.

And yeah they changed it a while back where the exp you get for PvP queues goes to the job you queued on, not what you finish the battleground as - they found that folks weren't switching off the job they were trying to level in favor of something that would help their team win.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

All of the pvp sets are boss in their own ways tbh. The ARR PvP weapons also have pulsing red particle effects if that's your thing, plus there's the Aka Oni Greatclub and the Matchlock Greatclub, giant spiked iron rod weapons for DRK and GNB.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I posted this in the Blizzwatch thread but I'll post it here, as it's my new WHM mantra:

Every heal I have to cast is a holy I don't get to blind the party with.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I got into FFXIV a few weeks ago with some Discord buddies, pretty fun game and very "casual" friendly as a WoW player from back in like 2005-2010.

So far I have a paladin to 46 and summoner/scholar to 48. I started with the paladin then leveled the summoner/scholar because I ended up way overleveled.

Are recruit-a-friend codes allowed here? I subscribed the other day, if anyone is thinking about subscribing feel free to use my recruitment code for some bonus items: RXGQEF7U

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Anyone have any guide recs or advice for starting PotD? Should I be trying to get a party together, or is solo fine? (For all jobs?) It just sounds fun, and I'm considering taking up a few new jobs to try out different gameplay styles (and start purging my armor chest of low-level dungeon drops), so extra levelling options will be nice.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Antivehicular posted:

Anyone have any guide recs or advice for starting PotD? Should I be trying to get a party together, or is solo fine? (For all jobs?) It just sounds fun, and I'm considering taking up a few new jobs to try out different gameplay styles (and start purging my armor chest of low-level dungeon drops), so extra levelling options will be nice.

Random party for PotD is far easier than trying to do it solo. It's a really great way to level jobs you've neglected.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Antivehicular posted:

You can solo to test it out, and get some aether levels under your best, but it's best with a group. Duty finder groups are totally fine in my experience, though they can be a little annoying with people just rushing to the teleporter and not looking for chests because they already have their gear leveled up.

Obviously a group of friends and/or specific classes are necessary once you get into the deeper levels, like 100+, but you don't ever really need to go down there. It's only for bragging rights, rare titles and cosmetics and whatnot.

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

My POTD save is clear floors 1-20 but my equipment isn't good enough to queue higher, can I do anything about that or do I have to start over and hope for better luck on gear chests? Is there better EXP from higher floors?

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

I just want to share a mirrored experience I had in WoW versus FF14.

A couple months ago I did a Mythic 0 in WoW as a priest for a weekly thing. We enter, the tank pulls every trash mob from the start to the boss, and splats. Even though I overgeared the place, popped every cooldown I had, did my damndest to keep him up, it was too much. So we wipe, and he goes, "healer must be AFK". I responded, "No, it was just more than we could handle". He does a /rude at me and hearths away. It worked out in the end, we found a new tank in a few minutes who didn't overestimate his abilities, but this kind of fragile ego is the norm.

Last night, I'm running a new dungeon as a White Mage. Totorak I think? The one with the goopy floors. So far other dungeons have been a bit of a snooze as far as healing goes, so even when the tanks have pulled big crowds I've been fine. This one, I wasn't prepared, and it seems things were hitting the tank harder than I expected and so she died because I wasn't looking at healthbars, followed by the rest of us. I'm typing my apology for not paying attention when she goes, "I'm sorry, did I pull too much? I'll grab smaller packs". I apologized in kind, and we finished the dungeon, and I noticed after the first few small packs she started grabbing a bit more each time.

I'm sure not every player interaction is going to be so kind, but so far the reputation about the niceness of the players is holding up.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Hi, another question:

Glamour is the equivalent to wow transmog, right? IE you change the appearance of your equipped items to other stuff?

Is there a primer for how that works somewhere?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

You need glamor prisms to do it. The best way to do it is to go into the inn room and mess with the glamor dresser. Place the item you want to copy the image of into the dresser (this will cost one prism per item), then "edit glamor plates". This lets you set up premade outfits that you can apply in the cities at any time.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Bragon posted:

My POTD save is clear floors 1-20 but my equipment isn't good enough to queue higher, can I do anything about that or do I have to start over and hope for better luck on gear chests? Is there better EXP from higher floors?

I'm pretty sure the EXP is standardized, it's the same reward for 10 floors no matter what depth. People mostly like to grind 51-60 because you can start at level 60 instead of grinding up.

As for gear levels, you just kinda get unlucky sometimes! It's a roguelike mode, that's how it goes. Luckily those levels carry across all classes, both weapons and armor, so you can do your grinding however you want. This is the same with buying the weapons (for glamour), you just buy grips and then can buy any of the weapons, it doesn't have to be a class you've even brought into the dungeon.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

McCloud posted:

Hi, another question:

Glamour is the equivalent to wow transmog, right? IE you change the appearance of your equipped items to other stuff?

Is there a primer for how that works somewhere?

This is the vid I used to learn about it, I think it's fairly comprehensive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQxIuKtfrAk

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Bragon posted:

You have to start another run at 1 to grab more aetherpool. Fortunately you have two save slots, so at least you don't need to reset your current run.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Begemot posted:

I'm pretty sure the EXP is standardized, it's the same reward for 10 floors no matter what depth. People mostly like to grind 51-60 because you can start at level 60 instead of grinding up.

As for gear levels, you just kinda get unlucky sometimes! It's a roguelike mode, that's how it goes. Luckily those levels carry across all classes, both weapons and armor, so you can do your grinding however you want. This is the same with buying the weapons (for glamour), you just buy grips and then can buy any of the weapons, it doesn't have to be a class you've even brought into the dungeon.

EXP in PotD is mostly standardized, but 1-10 and 11-20 give a bit less than standard and every 50th floor (41-50, 91-100 etc) gives extra experience. In practice, spamming 51-60 is probably faster than going for the higher floors since it has the fastest queue times and a very low chance of wiping and wasting the run. Worth finishing Floor 100 at some point for the story, though.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

ok so what is the duty finder icon supposed to be because I can't not see it as a welders mask, and I'm sure that's not it? Is it?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Rosalind posted:

You can get the black mage ARR PVP set and have the biggest, bushiest tail ever.

Edit: Ain't nobody gonna call a big bad wolf like you a clown.

Only because you're not using the *ridiculous* shoes.

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

AngusPodgorny posted:

You have to start another run at 1 to grab more aetherpool. Fortunately you have two save slots, so at least you don't need to reset your current run.

I ran a few more and I didn't realize (as a roguelike dungeon) that you globally kept your aetherpool. I thought for a second getting to floor 51 would be a nightmare

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

squirrelzipper posted:

ok so what is the duty finder icon supposed to be because I can't not see it as a welders mask, and I'm sure that's not it? Is it?

The magnifying glass?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Bruceski posted:

The magnifying glass?

No the icon thats by your name like it's where the sprout is, or it's a little film reel when you're in a cutscene. It looks like a welders mask and I can't see anything else and it's driving me crazy. It shows up when you're qued for a group.

This one:

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 14, 2021

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bragon posted:

I ran a few more and I didn't realize (as a roguelike dungeon) that you globally kept your aetherpool. I thought for a second getting to floor 51 would be a nightmare

Yeah, aetherpool is constant and job independent.

You can cash it out for glamour weapons 10 points at a time but that's something to do when you basically cap out your stats or stop getting more on the floors you're running.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

squirrelzipper posted:

No the icon thats by your name like it's where the sprout is, or it's a little film reel when you're in a cutscene. It looks like a welders mask and I can't see anything else and it's driving me crazy. It shows up when you're qued for a group.

This one:

It's like one of those tickets with a number on it that you get when you're waiting for something

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Oh, and there's just way too many 2.x - HW quests. I know it's a dead horse, but this needs editing, like I don't even mind the story bit but there's 80 quests plus the Crystal Tower line, it's too much just to get to the next major story beat section. They need to address this because every new player has to deal with it, and it's too much. There's a lot of filler here for no reason. Give me the highlights, let's do the dungeons, condense the smaller character stories. Experienced players I think have forgotten just how much to and fro there is here and it's honestly not great.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

squirrelzipper posted:

Oh, and there's just way too many 2.x - HW quests. I know it's a dead horse, but this needs editing, like I don't even mind the story bit but there's 80 quests plus the Crystal Tower line, it's too much just to get to the next major story beat section. They need to address this because every new player has to deal with it, and it's too much. There's a lot of filler here for no reason. Give me the highlights, let's do the dungeons, condense the smaller character stories. Experienced players I think have forgotten just how much to and fro there is here and it's honestly not great.

Oh we all remember.

It used to be 100 quests, 20 per patch. I think they knocked like 25 or so out of the slow 2.1-2.3 stretch alone during the revamp, plus giving you flight and waking sands tickets and removing some of the extra quest steps from what they kept. They also dramatically truncated the CT unlocks, you used to have to go clear a bunch of specific FATEs to get the appropriate mcguffins to unlock each raid.

It's still not great but it's a drat sight better than what it was. That's not to say anyone would argue it's good as-is but short of an entire ARR rewrite there's probably not much else that can be done.

But we veterans totally empathize with it, and that's why a lot of us recommend running Coil as well as unlocking and doing some of the optional l50 dungeons as well (or ARR EX fights), it breaks up the grind.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Tortolia posted:

Oh we all remember.

It used to be 100 quests, 20 per patch. I think they knocked like 25 or so out of the slow 2.1-2.3 stretch alone during the revamp, plus giving you flight and waking sands tickets and removing some of the extra quest steps from what they kept. They also dramatically truncated the CT unlocks, you used to have to go clear a bunch of specific FATEs to get the appropriate mcguffins to unlock each raid.

It's still not great but it's a drat sight better than what it was. That's not to say anyone would argue it's good as-is but short of an entire ARR rewrite there's probably not much else that can be done.

But we veterans totally empathize with it, and that's why a lot of us recommend running Coil as well as unlocking and doing some of the optional l50 dungeons as well (or ARR EX fights), it breaks up the grind.

Ok but I don't know that I buy it needs a whole re-write to fix. Like having just finished it, there's a bunch of stuff there that could be distilled into 1 or 2 cut-scenes. THere's no XP to speak of and we're all over 50 at this point. I don't know that I buy that a re-write is necessary. Work? Yes. Complete redo? No. Editing.

e; like look at An Unexpected Ambition - the Tataru quest. I like her. I want to help her. I don't want to spend 25 minutes on this quest line, because I want to move further in the main story, and this isn't the only example, it's not even an outlier. It could be a 2 step quest with a single cutscene. There's a lot of these. It Needs an editing pass. I know they did that once! They need to do it again.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 14, 2021

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

squirrelzipper posted:

Oh yeah, we definitely remember.

I recommend breaking it up a bit. Do like five quests, then progress Hildibrand a bit, then do one of those post-50 optional dungeons, and do the Zodiac weapon quest just far enough so that you unlock the Chimera and Hydra trials.

Just keep going in that loop until you're done with all of them.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

bewilderment posted:

Oh yeah, we definitely remember.

I recommend breaking it up a bit. Do like five quests, then progress Hildibrand a bit, then do one of those post-50 optional dungeons, and do the Zodiac weapon quest just far enough so that you unlock the Chimera and Hydra trials.

Just keep going in that loop until you're done with all of them.

Yes but as a BLM I really want to try AST. Which unlocks at 50. BUT WAIT! No it doesn't. It unlocks in HW. Which is ok. Except there's a bunch of really not relevant stuff gating it. It's not great. e; Again my example is one of the last Quests An Unexpected ambition. I like Tataru. But why is helping the receptionist gating my progress to this extent - it's like a 35 minute quest chain. I know it's been trimmed. It needs to be trimmed more.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 14, 2021

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm not going to argue against where you're coming from, just they're all hands on deck trying to launch an expansion that's going to have the amount of content that normally would be a full X.0-X.3 expansion and patch cycle; they probably couldn't overhaul ARR as much as they would have liked.

I totally get where you're at. I saw multiple folks burn out and quit the game trying to rush to HW to play jobs that really caught their eye. It's unfortunate. It's also not a consolation that they don't do it again since it doesn't help you right now, but they did learn.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Tortolia posted:

Yeah, I'm not going to argue against where you're coming from, just they're all hands on deck trying to launch an expansion that's going to have the amount of content that normally would be a full X.0-X.3 expansion and patch cycle; they probably couldn't overhaul ARR as much as they would have liked.

I totally get where you're at. I saw multiple folks burn out and quit the game trying to rush to HW to play jobs that really caught their eye. It's unfortunate. It's also not a consolation that they don't do it again since it doesn't help you right now, but they did learn.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the ride. I'm not frustrated, I know this is what it is, and I like the content. But it's a structural problem, and it's one that affects new players significantly. Which obviously has to be balanced against the new content. I know I only have to do this once, I can muddle through, I'm not in a big hurry. But it's a problem, and it's pretty significant in scope of time - like I'd estimate we're talking 10 hours or of playtime in this section. That's a commitment. It's my only gripe with the game so far, this stretch needs editing but that may never happen because honestly once I'm passed it I'll probably be like 'eh, it's bad but just do it and then it's fine'.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

squirrelzipper posted:

Yes but as a BLM I really want to try AST. Which unlocks at 50. BUT WAIT! No it doesn't. It unlocks in HW. Which is ok. Except there's a bunch of really not relevant stuff gating it. It's not great. e; Again my example is one of the last Quests An Unexpected ambition. I like Tataru. But why is helping the receptionist gating my progress to this extent - it's like a 35 minute quest chain. I know it's been trimmed. It needs to be trimmed more.

Yeah, it sucks. Even with the trimming, a lot of the ARR patch content feels like spinning your wheels, not working towards anything big or interesting. It picks up significantly towards the end, in 2.4 and 2.5, when they start integrating dungeons in the MSQ patches. They continue that through all the expansions, there's at least one new dungeon with each patch.

The thing with the HW jobs isn't repeated in later expansions, at least. If you bought Stormblood, you could go become a samurai right now, all the trainers are just the first three starter cities.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Begemot posted:

Yeah, it sucks. Even with the trimming, a lot of the ARR patch content feels like spinning your wheels, not working towards anything big or interesting. It picks up significantly towards the end, in 2.4 and 2.5, when they start integrating dungeons in the MSQ patches. They continue that through all the expansions, there's at least one new dungeon with each patch.

The thing with the HW jobs isn't repeated in later expansions, at least. If you bought Stormblood, you could go become a samurai right now, all the trainers are just the first three starter cities.

Yes but I don't want to be a Samurai - I'm already a greedy DPS pig - I want to be an Astrologian! It's all good, I'm there now, but I will die on this hill - 2.x needs a huge editing pass. Will it get one? who know, I hope so.

e; also for me personally this would all be absolved if I could kill the Unsettled Scholar. Like that would be an acceptable payout for the whole post 2.5 thing.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 14, 2021

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I'm sorry did someone say they want LESS interaction with Tataru??? They already sinned in cutting her mining expedition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Sunday Morning posted:

I'm sorry did someone say they want LESS interaction with Tataru??? They already sinned in cutting her mining expedition.

No. No I did not, I was very explicit and clear, I love her and want to help her. As an Astrologian. Which she is preventing.

e; I mean, was. I'm an Astrologian now. That was a good cutscene. Tartaru is mostly sorted, for now.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 14, 2021