Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

hexwren posted:

• A game book, published before 1994. Your standard sort of dungeon crawler. I don't recall the title, obviously enough, or much of the actual game mechanics, though there were mechanics. The setting was some kind of harbor town where unpleasant things were happening. You could pick up a wine bottle fairly early on in your adventure. If you drank from it, you died, because it had turned to vinegar. I want to say there were unpleasant humanoid seaweed monsters about. The winning path definitely led through the sewers.

I'm pretty sure this isn't any of the Fighting Fantasy books. I can't say for 100% certain since I don't know the later ones as well, but I've read them all and still have them upstairs and this isn't ringing any bells. There is one volume I recall with some sewer adventuring: Khare: Cityport of Traps. If it's not that one, I'd suggest trying various other game lines before digging into FF too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Xotl posted:

I'm pretty sure this isn't any of the Fighting Fantasy books. I can't say for 100% certain since I don't know the later ones as well, but I've read them all and still have them upstairs and this isn't ringing any bells. There is one volume I recall with some sewer adventuring: Khare: Cityport of Traps. If it's not that one, I'd suggest trying various other game lines before digging into FF too much.

yeah, FF has a way crunchier system than what I remember

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Salacious Spy posted:

I very distinctly remember the phrase "a thunderous fart echoes" being used at some point in the thread.

Imagine all the other things you could have used those neurons for! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=950192&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post286058912

quote:

"Uhh...I suppose I could do that," says Bob, his face furrowing up in concentration. The air shimmers around him, and numerous strange things happen. After the third shimmer, Bob begins screaming "THE EXECUTIONER I WAS MEANT TO BE!" with each successive shimmer. After a few more, he begins to also scream "I MUST DIE WHILE SUFFERING!" at the same time. It's a good thing he's an angel, or he'd have some serious difficulties...

...Elizabeth notices a convenient home improvements shop just down the street, and is making her way there when a beautifully worked awl pike appears in her hands. Shortly after that, a thunderous fart echoes throughout the city.

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man

HOLY GRAIL

quote:

Bob must go carve "My name is George...I eat poo poo for breakfast!" 100 times on the next tree he sees.
Bob picks up the strange habit of shouting "I can smell your balls!" at random men.
Bob loses 71 points of tracking skill.
Manslop now has a concave chest, losing 9% of his strength and 6 bodily attractiveness.
Grignir gets a +5 halberd.
Bob casts Detect Unethicality.
Bob yells "Split their spines!" whenver a spell is cast.
Bob casts Coercive Spell for Restraining.
Bob casts Diminish Dexterity.
Manslop must switch his sanguine and menancholy temperment scores.
Made will forever experience an orgasm every time she belches.
Bob casts Lesser Vulnerability to Poison.
Bob's body emits an odor that makes invisible creatures visible within 20 feet.

how can you not love this.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

Bob yells "Split their spines!" whenver a spell is cast.
Ah, the old "aggressive" voiceset option

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

hexwren posted:

Nope. Every case was based around technology, usually computers. The protagonist worked alone. His online handle was Blade Runner after the movie. The font on the cover was Westminster in outlined red and yellow like

I mean, it's possible, but I remember the language usage being very American, like, I wasn't sitting there baffled about European things like this other mystery book I read in the same time period (which, in order for me to solve one of the cases, required me to know poo poo about what shore of Lake Zurich Zurich was on. I was like nine, I'd never heard of Zurich before)

I think I found the one you're referring to: Chip Mitchell

https://www.goodreads.com/series/103699-chip-mitchell

There was apparently also Chip Mitchell: Case Of Chocolate Covered Bugs

Now I have to wonder if what I remember is actually the same series as you, just I have some of the details mixed up.

Edit: pretty sure it is, because there's alternate covers that are the ones I remember.
Plus I just remembered that the main character had tonnes of exotic pets which also matches the cover art.

Edit2: archive.org has it to borrow

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 11, 2021

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man

My Lovely Horse posted:

Ah, the old "aggressive" voiceset option

I CAN SMELL YOUR BALLS

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

~Coxy posted:

I think I found the one you're referring to: Chip Mitchell

https://www.goodreads.com/series/103699-chip-mitchell

There was apparently also Chip Mitchell: Case Of Chocolate Covered Bugs

Now I have to wonder if what I remember is actually the same series as you, just I have some of the details mixed up.

Edit: pretty sure it is, because there's alternate covers that are the ones I remember.
Plus I just remembered that the main character had tonnes of exotic pets which also matches the cover art.

yoooooooooooo

that's fuckin it, brilliant

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I just skimmed the 2 books on archive.org and it's the same as I remember. All the computer names are fake; the kid had a Hermes at home (not Archimedes.) The university computer is a "Honeyrock 7000" (presumably Honeywell/Rockwell portmanteau?)

You remember the one about the arcade machine high scores perfectly; the girl gang crowds around the machine while the rival girl is playing it so the boys can't see that they pulled the plug out of the machine.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

hexwren posted:

• A children's book either for a toyetic franchise or made in the style of one. Extant circa 1985-6. A series of brightly monocolored futuristic vehicles leave their snowy base even though the weather is bad. The large yellow one (the order/size of these may be wrong), the middle-size green one and the smaller blue one all go out into the storm and get stuck. They are then rescued by the tiny red member of the team who all the others were bullying because red is a tow truck. I seem to recall the front cover having one of those titles where the middle letters are huge and in front of you and the beginning and the end stretch off in two point perspective to the sides of the cover (and then an action shot of the action jeeps or tanks or whatever the gently caress they were driving at you over the top edge of the title)]

I can't help much but I definitely read this book in the early 90s some time. I think the tow truck wasn't getting bullied, he was just "younger" and the older vehicles thought it was too dangerous to bring him. The only other thing that sticks out is I think the book had like blueprints or wire frame pictures of the different vehicles thay explained their strengths and weaknesses.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

quote:

Bob's body emits an odor that makes invisible creatures visible within 20 feet

My Dad can cast the opposition school of Wild Magic: he could generate odors that made 3 kids disappear for 8 rounds per fart.
:fart:

KazmeyerTLOC
Aug 13, 2007
I'm trying to find a movie I saw when I was fairly young. This would have been in the early to mid 80s. I'm pretty sure it was a made-for-TV movie because at the commercial break, the scene would freeze and become a painted version of the scene, and then vice versa when the commercials were done. If it was made-for-TV it would've been NBC since that's all we had at the time.

In the movie a couple is getting out late from a movie or a play of some sort, and either their car won't start or it's been stolen. They didn't know they were in a bad part of town and the rest of the movie is them trying to get to safety. Gangs terrorize them. At some point they get separated somehow. Anyway the guy is alone and finally finds a working phone booth and tries to call the cops. He sees the gang looking for him and crouches down in the phone booth to hide, but the cops call back and the ringing lets the gang find him. It's weird the tiny specific details my brain remembers about this show.

It's probably set in New York since there was a lot of gritty movies showing how dangerous the city was back then.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dr_Amazing posted:

I can't help much but I definitely read this book in the early 90s some time. I think the tow truck wasn't getting bullied, he was just "younger" and the older vehicles thought it was too dangerous to bring him. The only other thing that sticks out is I think the book had like blueprints or wire frame pictures of the different vehicles thay explained their strengths and weaknesses.

yes, dead on. one step closer. i can't remember if they're blueprints or wireframes either, but the tech drawings were definitely part of it

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

KazmeyerTLOC posted:

It's probably set in New York since there was a lot of gritty movies showing how dangerous the city was back then.

The Out-of-Towners?

That plot memory sounds dead on point. Incidentally, they remake that movie every decade or so. Tina Fey was in one.

KazmeyerTLOC
Aug 13, 2007

DerekSmartymans posted:

The Out-of-Towners?

That plot memory sounds dead on point. Incidentally, they remake that movie every decade or so. Tina Fey was in one.

I don't think that was it, but thank you. It all took place in the city and definitely was not a comedy at all.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

DerekSmartymans posted:

The Out-of-Towners?

Was that the goddawful Date Night with Steve Carell?

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
Just wanted to pop in the thread to say I had been looking for downloads of the Friar's Club roasts (they are essentially "Comedy Central Roasts" but from before they started naming the show that) and I could not find them on any torrent site or even usenet. Just went on SoulSeek and every single one of them is there, and available for download.

Hope this info helps someone out there.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I've been trying to find an article or photos from an article that I remember from a thread in GBS back in the 2000s. From what I remember it was about a guy who was having problems with his neighbors playing loud music.

The things that stick in my mind are:

-He was an engineer? I think
-He created some kind of microwave gun to melt the wires in his neighbor's stereo from his own house
-He dressed like Willy Wonka
-His house was shaped like a spaceship

Google is getting me nowhere, everything seems to be drowned out with articles about people complaining about the Apple headquarters

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Dell_Zincht posted:

Was that the goddawful Date Night with Steve Carell?

Yeah, I couldn’t remember who played the male lead with Fey. I definitely didn’t remember the title. It was nowhere nearly as funny as the original and I forgot all the details five minutes after I watched it :sad:.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Blooster posted:

Just wanted to pop in the thread to say I had been looking for downloads of the Friar's Club roasts (they are essentially "Comedy Central Roasts" but from before they started naming the show that) and I could not find them on any torrent site or even usenet. Just went on SoulSeek and every single one of them is there, and available for download.

Hope this info helps someone out there.

Are they edited? Dangerfield and Rickles knew how to truly roast the gently caress out of anyone behind the closed-door, non-broadcasted-to-the-public ceremonies where their genius was surrounded by other comedians of the day.

KazmeyerTLOC
Aug 13, 2007

KazmeyerTLOC posted:

I'm trying to find a movie I saw when I was fairly young. This would have been in the early to mid 80s. I'm pretty sure it was a made-for-TV movie because at the commercial break, the scene would freeze and become a painted version of the scene, and then vice versa when the commercials were done. If it was made-for-TV it would've been NBC since that's all we had at the time.

In the movie a couple is getting out late from a movie or a play of some sort, and either their car won't start or it's been stolen. They didn't know they were in a bad part of town and the rest of the movie is them trying to get to safety. Gangs terrorize them. At some point they get separated somehow. Anyway the guy is alone and finally finds a working phone booth and tries to call the cops. He sees the gang looking for him and crouches down in the phone booth to hide, but the cops call back and the ringing lets the gang find him. It's weird the tiny specific details my brain remembers about this show.

Quoting my own post to say I'm pretty sure I found it. Seems like I got a few details wrong but hey, I was 10.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Jeopardy_%281985_film%29

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
Looks like another one. I keep thinking about the rubber ducky debugging method all the time after first seeing it a few days ago in this thread.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
This is a tough one: a tv show, featuring a scene where the family tries to bond over a family board game night, and plays Candyland, and gets in a big fight.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I remember this too, but just barely. I want to say that it was something like Blossom, but I don't think it was Blossom.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Back in 2003-2004 or so I was home sick from school and I spent the day browsing a site that was just high resolution photos of beetles, probably samples of a collection, on simple white backgrounds. I don't know if it still exists or how I found it or what it was called but it was cool to see all these massive photos of shiny bugs and I would like to see them again

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Heath posted:

Back in 2003-2004 or so I was home sick from school and I spent the day browsing a site that was just high resolution photos of beetles, probably samples of a collection, on simple white backgrounds. I don't know if it still exists or how I found it or what it was called but it was cool to see all these massive photos of shiny bugs and I would like to see them again

Good photos of insects on a stark white background bring to mind the Eyewitness series of books/documentaries. I wonder if your mystery website was affiliated with them? Otherwise, it feels like something a natural history museum’s website would have.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think so but it looked like a private website? But again this was 17 years ago

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

There are any number of obsessive macro photographers these days, and it's only gotten better over the past decade with easy access to automstic rails, stacking software and communities to swap information.

Suspekt Device
Jan 9, 2017

I was looking for a movie. All I know of it is from the trailer that I remember from my VHS copy of "National Lampoon's Senior Trip". It is a mid-90's low budget action movie, I think New Line Cinema. Key things I remember:

A generic Latin American guerilla commander talking to some other guy says, "He is the greatest soldier in the entire world. And now he works for me. Hahahaha." Trailer then cuts to a different scene with a doofy looking action hero guy in a tank top with rocket launcher yelling, "Take em out!". Guy then fires the rocket launcher and destroys a boat I think. It was such a hilarious trailer really want to find it again.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Heath posted:

This isn't it, but you might be interested in Christopher Marley's book Pheromone, which is all beautifully photographed beetles. In the book proper there are some really big single bugs, but most of the pics online are of his assemblages.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

This is a tough one: a tv show, featuring a scene where the family tries to bond over a family board game night, and plays Candyland, and gets in a big fight.

I almost positive this an episode of Malcom in the Middle. But I’m not quite sure which one. Dewey eats a die or some piece of a game they do want to play and instead are forced to play candy land.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Suspekt Device posted:

I was looking for a movie. All I know of it is from the trailer that I remember from my VHS copy of "National Lampoon's Senior Trip". It is a mid-90's low budget action movie, I think New Line Cinema. Key things I remember:

A generic Latin American guerilla commander talking to some other guy says, "He is the greatest soldier in the entire world. And now he works for me. Hahahaha." Trailer then cuts to a different scene with a doofy looking action hero guy in a tank top with rocket launcher yelling, "Take em out!". Guy then fires the rocket launcher and destroys a boat I think. It was such a hilarious trailer really want to find it again.

luckily someone on YouTube has exactly what you're looking for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTy2kY0cZ0s

skip to 5:40 to watch the trailer for Live Wire: Human Timebomb. looks like a good movie! Sadly I can't find an upload of just the trailer

(side note: they made a sequel to Lawnmower Man??)

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Poopelyse posted:

Yeah it’s not uh, not great. It’s the guy who played Barclay on ST:TNG and I’m glad he was able to get work.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Poopelyse posted:

luckily someone on YouTube has exactly what you're looking for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTy2kY0cZ0s

skip to 5:40 to watch the trailer for Live Wire: Human Timebomb. looks like a good movie! Sadly I can't find an upload of just the trailer

Well, a set of scenes with a tank top man, boat blowing up (via explosive crossbow) and an approximation of the the "and now he'll * for me". Its sufficiently different than Suspekt Device's memory, but thats the way things go sometimes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDNpiAylYAA
I'm sure the actual trailer was edited to be a lot more action oriented and appealing.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

pseudanonymous posted:

Yeah it’s not uh, not great. It’s the guy who played Barclay on ST:TNG and I’m glad he was able to get work.

It's an absolute crime that you confused Matt Frewer with Barclay.

And while it's not great, it is absolutely bizarre and worth watching. It takes place just a couple years after the original but somehow it's gone from 90s suburbia to Johnny Mnemonic.

TIP fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Aug 14, 2021

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Tip posted:

It's an absolute crime that you confused Matt Frewer with Barclay.

Goon prosopagnosia strikes again

bratwurst massage
Jan 27, 2018
some 20 - 25 ago I used to own a cd from a punk band, i think it was called Tension. One of their song was War to the world, or it was in the lyrics of a song. Cant find them on google or youtube

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Probably this band, none of the songs are titled War to the World but their 2005 album (which would be a bit later than your time frame) has a track titled War on the Antichrist:

https://www.discogs.com/Tension--And-At-The-Hour-Of-Our-Death/release/2601776

https://www.discogs.com/Tension-Hope-For-The-Best-Expect-The-Worst/release/7542145

https://www.discogs.com/Tension-Cleansing-Through-The-Burning-Time/release/7542167

The 97 album seems to have been the most popular and over on the right are links to some of the tracks on Youtube but I haven't sat and listened through them.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Kirk Vikernes posted:

Goon prosopagnosia strikes again

On the bright side, goon race blindness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bratwurst massage
Jan 27, 2018

Porfiriato posted:

Probably this band, none of the songs are titled War to the World but their 2005 album (which would be a bit later than your time frame) has a track titled War on the Antichrist:

https://www.discogs.com/Tension--And-At-The-Hour-Of-Our-Death/release/2601776

https://www.discogs.com/Tension-Hope-For-The-Best-Expect-The-Worst/release/7542145

https://www.discogs.com/Tension-Cleansing-Through-The-Burning-Time/release/7542167

The 97 album seems to have been the most popular and over on the right are links to some of the tracks on Youtube but I haven't sat and listened through them.

Unfortunately this isn't it.

But i am listeing to the above right now!