Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

AHH F/UGH posted:

I mean in the sense that like, yeah it's in the news but it doesn't really seem to be getting as much traction as it would (for obvious reasons) but also just because I think that people are so loving done with Afghanistan being anything at all to them that it wouldn't get as much play as like, 10 years ago or something regardless.

I think it isn't getting much traction because there's no political will to go back. Nobody likes the Taliban but the prospect of sending forces back is anathema at this point. No politicians (well, I haven't seen any yet but I don't follow US media all that closely) are really disagreeing so there's less drama for media to sell. Covid on the other hand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Count Roland posted:

I think it isn't getting much traction because there's no political will to go back. Nobody likes the Taliban but the prospect of sending forces back is anathema at this point. No politicians (well, I haven't seen any yet but I don't follow US media all that closely) are really disagreeing so there's less drama for media to sell. Covid on the other hand...

Why go all the way to Afghanistan to kill people when our politicians can take pro-COVID policies and kill thousands here?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

On one hand war bad but on the other hand letting people fall under the rule of the taliban again is going to make most peoples' lives patently worse for generations so what the gently caress do you even do

I guess just hope enough time passes that people rise up and fix their own country?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

AHH F/UGH posted:

On one hand war bad but on the other hand letting people fall under the rule of the taliban again is going to make most peoples' lives patently worse for generations so what the gently caress do you even do

I guess just hope enough time passes that people rise up and fix their own country?

Its going to be the same result even if we stayed for another 50 years.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Seems to me the real time to have withdrawn was sometime after Obama’s second election. I guess he didn’t want to for political and electoral reasons but Dems ate poo poo in 2014 anyways, with Benghazi etc and ISIS and then lost in 2016. Pulling out of Afghan wouldn’t have added to that too much

While you’re at it don’t invade Libya or intervene in Syria and the ME might be on the start of an upswing by now at little extra political cost over what we have now. Less of a refugee crisis, no Turkish coup, moderates possibly still in charge in Iran...

Man, Obama was a catastrophically bad president, huh?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 14, 2021

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

icantfindaname posted:

Seems to me the real time to have withdrawn was sometime after Obama’s second election. I guess he didn’t want to for political and electoral reasons but Dems ate poo poo in 2014 anyways, with Benghazi etc and ISIS and then lost in 2016. Pulling out of Afghan wouldn’t have added to that too much

While you’re at it don’t invade Libya or intervene in Syria and the ME might be on the start of an upswing by now at little extra political cost over what we have now. Less of a refugee crisis, no Turkish coup, moderates possibly still in charge in Iran...

The president has very little to do with moving the imperial machine.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

icantfindaname posted:

The missteps the US has taken in the Middle East are the product of a mindset that both Western liberals and Western conservatives share. The idea that they can't reshape the world for the better with all their weapons and manpower and wealth is impossible for many people to get out of their heads.

"This time it will be different," and there will probably be tons of distinguishing factors that years of university education will help them articulate. And you want to believe that it will be different because then it'll be you who changed everything for the better. It's too tempting for your typical politician.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

Yeah declaring mission accomplished after murking bin Laden was the best opportunity, and the longer we waited after that, the more sure the Taliban was that they could just wait us out. I think the Libya intervention was probably more consequential than anything we ever did in Afghanistan, especially since it led to Benghazi and the emails, but I don't know that I agree about the refugee crisis or the Turkish coup stemming from that.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The president has very little to do with moving the imperial machine.

Obama overruled all his advisors when he decided not to attack Assad after the chemical attacks, so there's an instance of a president mattering a whole lot. It's true that it was a self inflicted crisis to some extent given that he was also the guy who stood up and made the red line statement, but that's just further proof that a president's whims can shift policy back and forth. Yes, of course presidents are surrounded by the Washington establishment/consensus/Blob, whatever you want to call it, and can be too intimidated to break from that consensus, but ultimately they do clearly have the power and ability to do so.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 14, 2021

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/1426324726465576962

Well, at least there's that.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

quote:

Taliban has also captured the Warsaj district of Takhar province. Close to 2,000 troops from Badakhshan, Kunduz and Taloqan who had taken refugee in Warsaj either surrendered or have retreated towards the mountains and to Panjshir province

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I can see how the Taliban maintained numbers post-USA invasion, but how did they get in power in the first place during the 90s? As a dumb westerner, I have no idea how the Talibans ideology is appealing at all

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I can see how the Taliban maintained numbers post-USA invasion, but how did they get in power in the first place during the 90s? As a dumb westerner, I have no idea how the Talibans ideology is appealing at all

Their opposition was a bunch of corrupt warlords carving out their respective feudal empires between each other in the civil war that followed the collapse of Communist Afghanistan. What the Taliban brought to the table was a religious ideology and the idea of some kind of nation-state (but only for Pashtun). The warlords who survived Taliban rule were also the same that US brought into it's occupation government in order to rapidly attain stability post-invasion, of the many mistakes of the occupation.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
lmao all estimates lose

https://twitter.com/billroggio/status/1426384323163344898

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Said warlords also got & continue to get up to some truly reprehensible poo poo (that doesnt get covered as much as the Taliban's crimes), which the Taliban has made use of to recruit members.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

a few months ago, I remember poo poo posting about how with the end of foreign support, the Kabul government wouldn't make it to the 9/11 anniversary. I didn't think the situation on the ground was so dire, that the 20-year project had failed so utterly, and that the Kabul government was so hated and despised as to make the the flippant predictions accurate.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, it's becoming obvious now that the Afghan 'state' barely existed in any meaningful form and now the American arms that propped it up are being withdrawn, it's evaporating like the mirage it always was.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
12 miles from Kabul

https://twitter.com/MJalal700/status/1426386939318620164

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
The look of horror and anger in these two girls will haunt me forever, this is a catastrophic American failure.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, it's becoming obvious now that the Afghan 'state' barely existed in any meaningful form and now the American arms that propped it up are being withdrawn, it's evaporating like the mirage it always was.

Yeah the obvious difference between the end of the war in Vietnam and Afghanistan is that there was actually a South Vietnamese state to carry on the war for a bit. It was horribly corrupt mismanaged and overly dependent on American arms but it definitely existed.

The Afghan state America spent the last 20 years building doesn't seem to exist outside of whatever room Ghani is currently sitting in.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Gonna be real interesting to see what the Taliban do with the government that currently is existing in whatever sense of the word

I guess the people of the country REALLY wanted Islamic fascism so now they get it or whatever

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://twitter.com/NicolaCareem/status/1426424111299928064

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

AHH F/UGH posted:

I guess the people of the country REALLY wanted Islamic fascism so now they get it or whatever

Occupying forces generally aren't regarded highly, regardless of their intentions.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

AHH F/UGH posted:

Gonna be real interesting to see what the Taliban do with the government that currently is existing in whatever sense of the word

Just like how they wanted to be occupied by the US for the past 20 years I guess

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://twitter.com/tajudensoroush/status/1426454447241285633?s=21

https://twitter.com/natsecjeff/status/1426454235189764099?s=21

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Booourns posted:

Just like how they wanted to be occupied by the US for the past 20 years I guess

Yeah but I have a hard time thinking things like human rights will get better without the US and not way, way worse

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

Yeah but I have a hard time thinking things like human rights will get better without the US and not way, way worse

drat if only america gave a poo poo about human rights as much as you do they could’ve done a lot better in the last 20 years

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

AHH F/UGH posted:

People have different definitions of human rights

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

GAME OVeR

https://twitter.com/hnajafizada/status/1426458983078973442?s=21

more details in thread:-

https://twitter.com/hnajafizada/status/1426459810027999232?s=21

https://twitter.com/hnajafizada/status/1426460825003376641?s=21

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Are the Afghan military & government officials even really 'fleeing' anywhere, or is the assumption that they just run behind a wall, change their shirt, and re-emerge as a Taliban member?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Vasukhani posted:

People have different definitions of human rights

Yeah same, I call these alternative news or alternative reality!

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Discospawn posted:

Are the Afghan military & government officials even really 'fleeing' anywhere, or is the assumption that they just run behind a wall, change their shirt, and re-emerge as a Taliban member?
You think that if the far-right in the U.S. got their wet dream and seized power like the Taliban is doing, that Joe Biden and Pete Buttigieg would be able to change clothes and blend in with them? No, I think the Taliban will recognize the people they've been trying to overthrow.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

Their opposition was a bunch of corrupt warlords carving out their respective feudal empires between each other in the civil war that followed the collapse of Communist Afghanistan.

The civil war in Afghanistan began long before the communist government collapsed (which by the way stopped being communist in 1987, and became an Islamic republic in 1990), it's basically been going on since 1978 and probably won't truly end now, just as it didn't end with the Soviet wihdrawal, though like then it's likely that what remains of it will be lower intensity (just a reminder that the warin Afghanistan since 1990 has never even come close to the lethality and destruction that persisted under the Soviet intervention), and in this case I think, more regionalized.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
The answer is that it varies.

Special forces and milita forces that were aligned to someone the Taliban really hated? Mass executions, mostly.

Leadership; they just let all the folks from Herat flee to Kabul, but there is some wild reports that is because the local Afghan forces leadership handed the local warlord over to the Taliban after he refused to let them evacuate earlier so they could all surrender. Other governors seem to be unharmed but in captivity.

Rank and file ANA/police? Taliban seem to be turning them lose or even letting them flee as a unit if they give up.

Random mid level guys, who may or may not be famous? Seen a fair few Executions, doesn’t pay to be middle management.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

oops? https://twitter.com/GEsfandiari/status/1426470871502295043

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AHH F/UGH posted:

As mentioned, human rights cover many different topics. The Taliban are much less likely to rape little boys (bacha bazi was and is a powerful recruitment tool), bomb your entire village into dust, or send the psychotic death squads of the Zero Units through your region (when the news refers to 'Afghan special forces' as the core of the national army, that's who they're talking about). The occupation government ruled more through a monopoly on violence than any serious attempt to establish goodwill and sustainable livelihoods, which is why they're evaporating so fast. The Taliban may be rear end in a top hat fundamentalists, but they could at least make a more credible promise of peace, security, and stable governance.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah he doubled down.

We’ll see what happens.

Dostum seems to be riding around in the hinterlands unsuccessfully attacking, so I don’t think he’s gonna help much.

But; there was an ANA convoy recently that fled over 100km through Taliban controlled territory without much trouble, so Taliban “control” might be less concrete then portrayed by maps.

That said I also saw 3 similar convoys from else where end in mass surrenders since just this morning.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Discospawn posted:

Presumably fleeing. You don't get to run death squads and torture prisons and then just overnight say you are on the same side as the people you spent decades hunting down.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Yeah looks like Ghanis gonna go down with the ship

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly

The Taliban roll out like a war party in Fury Road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

seems that's what's left of the Uzbek and Tajik militias will try to hold out in Balkh province