Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

numberoneposter posted:

yesterday's mid ride lake dunk was awesome but i totally dropped off my pace after, not a bad thing it was kinda nice just to ride easy back into town and enjoy the cooling effects and the super hot weather

Do you just swim in your chamois or bring trunks with you? There's a few places around here I could bike to and swim but I've always put it off because I don't want to carry trunks and a lock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

EvilJoven posted:

Do you just swim in your chamois or bring trunks with you? There's a few places around here I could bike to and swim but I've always put it off because I don't want to carry trunks and a lock.

just go naked and bring the bike with you

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I use an ancient track pump from the 80s with a tiny gauge that goes to 200, so I have one of those little digital pressure things to tune it once it's pumped up. I'd rather have a pump with a better gauge tbh.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I cracked and bought an obviously-scavenged-for-parts 2020 model frame off ebay for a wild discount. Now to find some parts... oh no

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

EvilJoven posted:

Swam in my chammy it was fine. Dunked my jersey separately and had a heck of a time getting the sleeves back on lol.

The beach was fairly small so I just left my bike in view, no one was gonna mess with it, but I do have one of these small Pacsafe retractable cable combo locks I carry in my jersey pocket for quick stops where I might want to detract thieves.

https://int.pacsafe.com/collections/locks-and-cables/products/retractasafe-100-3-dial-retractable-cable-lock

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I always get a bit burned out after big rides. This week I’m not feeling because where’s the joy in grinding out quick 25 mile local rides when I rode basically two back to back double centuries somewhere I’d never been. It just doesn’t have that pop.

This is why it's important to have a riding crew for me. Even if it's the same old 25 mile local loop, the social dynamic makes it engaging for me. Chat about life, attack each other for town line sprints, talk about how great / poo poo you rode after the ride is over, good fun.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Vando posted:

I cracked and bought an obviously-scavenged-for-parts 2020 model frame off ebay for a wild discount. Now to find some parts... oh no

Depends what level, but https://www.merlincycles.com/shiman...g-GB&source=PHG

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bikesdirect just sent me this

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/disc-brake-roadbikes/lechampioncf-2x12-di2-discbrake-road-bikes.htm

Guess the 12 speed Shimano is sticking to 11t in the back?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Not sure about the new crank, the r8000 wasn't any better looking though and I prefer the grey to black.

Bit of a scoop for whichever news site notices that picture first, I don't think there's been anything about the new Ultegra yet.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Heliosicle posted:

Not sure about the new crank, the r8000 wasn't any better looking though and I prefer the grey to black.

Bit of a scoop for whichever news site notices that picture first, I don't think there's been anything about the new Ultegra yet.

It’s very weird that BikesDirect of all places has this up first. With the way availability is going for Shimano I’m betting someone buys this just to strip it.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

It’s very weird that BikesDirect of all places has this up first. With the way availability is going for Shimano I’m betting someone buys this just to strip it.

gently caress, I might actually do that

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Shimano USA hates this one weird trick!

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I just want to know where the hell they found a lifetime supply of ergo-bend handlebars.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Explored a local peninsula today.

bikes = good

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Attention all

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Nice :snoop:

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

iospace posted:

Attention all

nice

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
nice

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

iospace posted:

Attention all

The dream

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

eeenmachine posted:

That setup looks great! Very jealous of your upcoming tour, take lots of pictures!

Thank you! Absolutely will do.

cursedshitbox posted:

Cockpit owns. If you're fine with your phone on the bars run it. Its your device! Post more about your ride on PCH. I've ridden it countless times on a moto. Cycling it would be epic. Getting motorists to stop and ask if you're ok should be the goal for every photoshoot :D

Bikes are a drug and they are highly addictive.

Thanks! Forgot to mention but the Rokform mount uses a combo of a twist lock and powerful magnet to hold the phone in place on the mounting arm. We bombed a 9mi descent in the mountains a few weeks ago and I had forgot to lock it in while tossing my headlamp on my helmet - got to the bottom of the mountain and the phone's still attached to the mount by the magnet alone 😅 I'm a loving dumbass but it's a testament to the design at least lol.

This is a real rough route estimation, but a friend is dropping us off in San Jose and we've got ~9 days to cruise the ~500mi or so back to LA, give or take. Incredibly stoked because we should have plenty of time to indulge in all the woo woo weirdo poo poo along the coast which is very much my jam.

Did about 40mi this morning on a shakedown tour for the last bits of new gear! Rockgeist came in clutch and got my frame bag out the door a week early to make sure I'd have it for the trip - mega huge kudos to them. Also added Profile Designs Aero Bars for maximum straight line comfy.

This started as a joke between my homie and I related to all the JDM kids that routinely launch their underglow Civics into the various ravines of our local mountains, but it's growing on me 🤔

rep tha set 👽

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

iospace posted:

Attention all

nice.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

bicievino posted:

I just want to know where the hell they found a lifetime supply of ergo-bend handlebars.

For real. I was just remarking to myself how Bikes Direct always manages to make their bikes look dated and ugly at the last minute by putting some wierd component on. Mostly those ghastly ergo-bend bars. I really hope there is never a retro fad for those things.

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/rumours-over-new-12-speed-groupset-shimano-285645

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Going back to a symmetric crank and spider -- finally trying to get their power meter accurate?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

quote:

Another poster focused less on the groupset and more on the aesthetics – or lack thereof, in their opinion – of the bike. “Are we not gonna talk about how ugly and poorly set-up that bike is? From the horrible bar / brifter transition, the bulbous stem and the seat height that is too tall for the Jolly Green Giant … holy hell, that looks absolutely awful!!!”

In reply, another forum user said: “I noticed the same, but what caught my eye was what appears to be the removal of valve stems via Photoshop.”

Dude notices the valve stems are missing, but not that the pictured bike is decked out in SRAM components, current gen Shimano cranks and non-series Shimano levers.

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!
hello! been lurking the thread for a bit now and just wanted to express appreciation for the tips and inspiration (learning about strava in particular really helped)

spent some of today goofing around on my one and only bike by crossing the Ben Franklin into Philly, making it over to the Schuykyl, and making the return trip

bike riding is cool

That's 30th street station back there over the river. The Schuykyll Banks area is super neat.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Despite the bike being wrong, that’s supposedly DA and not Ultegra. The 12 speed DA is not exactly a well kept secret.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Hi bike thread!

Here is the fun vintage tri bike that I built up and rode in a race right before covid hit. I found the frame(Bertoni Corsa) two years ago on CL and slowly amassed parts to finish it. It's all Shimano 600 tricolor, and I just had to have the infamous Scott DH aero bar even though it's anything but aero. Oddly enough, it still fits my giant goony body. It was originally intended to be office decoration mostly, but I got a smart trainer and ended up putting thousands of miles on it before switching it out for my Kestrel.

My high point was passing a guy on the bike leg of my last tri with this thing. He was riding a Pinarello Bolide(13k-ish bike), and I caught him at the turnaround and blasted by him. He wasn't happy about it, and tried to catch up a few times. Ended up finishing 7th overall on the bike leg, and 11th overall for the whole race.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Rad-daddio posted:

Hi bike thread!

Here is the fun vintage tri bike that I built up and rode in a race right before covid hit. I found the frame(Bertoni Corsa) two years ago on CL and slowly amassed parts to finish it. It's all Shimano 600 tricolor, and I just had to have the infamous Scott DH aero bar even though it's anything but aero. Oddly enough, it still fits my giant goony body. It was originally intended to be office decoration mostly, but I got a smart trainer and ended up putting thousands of miles on it before switching it out for my Kestrel.

My high point was passing a guy on the bike leg of my last tri with this thing. He was riding a Pinarello Bolide(13k-ish bike), and I caught him at the turnaround and blasted by him. He wasn't happy about it, and tried to catch up a few times. Ended up finishing 7th overall on the bike leg, and 11th overall for the whole race.

That atrocious neon green bar tape is the perfect anti-fashion gently caress you in that situation. :discourse:

Those bars have so much tubing it looks like they could be chopped down to make a 49cm bike in a pinch. I love it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
very fun using 3 dynaplugs and 30min to fix the hole in my tire after yet another shithead breaking a beer bottle on the street and leaving glass everywhere :v:

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Rad-daddio posted:

Hi bike thread!

My guess is that you're about 6' 7" tall? That's a lot of air to push thru. Dammed impressive.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

VideoGameVet posted:

My guess is that you're about 6' 7" tall? That's a lot of air to push thru. Dammed impressive.

6' 6", but I have a long torso so the larger frames tend to have the needed top tube length so I'm not stretched out over the head tube of the bike.

My first Tri bike was a crappy Schwinn frame that some guy put a bunch of Pinarello stickers on. it was cheap, 56 cm and it got me through my first triathlon before I swapped the parts over to a better frame. That bike did not fit me.

lmao I almost forgot the fake ZIPP disc wheel that came with it. I still have it in my garage. It's drilled for a schrader valve even :)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Just stumbled into a dusty corner of the bike tech world.
When disc brakes first came out, Santana got on board with Hayes mounts, and added some proprietary adapters once post mount took off.
So this is Hayes to IS to Post, running an 8" rotor:

At some point, they went to a custom 10" rotor. I think this rotor is, but it's a custom Hayes to Post adapter:

The latest generation 10":

Because of the orientation of the post mount caliper, there's plenty of room under it for a big beefy adapter.

Their latest build now uses a flat mount caliper:

Still cable pull, notably. Because the FM caliper takes bolts from below, there's less metal supporting the caliper and holding it to the Hayes mount. I imagine it's all thought through, but weird to see so much investment sticking to such an old standard.

In digging around, I also found a custom Hayes to FM adapter:

Looks sketchy as hell in aluminum, but the seller says there's a 3d printed steel version now.

And this is the first time since I've started paying attention to standards that I've ever seen any actual IS calipers:

Maybe because IS is a common word, or maybe cuz the standards moved too fast? But there's not many pics of IS calipers on IS mounts.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I don't know anything really about Bicycles. But I live about 4 miles from my job, and parking is a huge pain in the rear end. It involves driving to remote parking lot then taking a bus into the job site. I was hoping to ride a bike, but these riding hours range from 6:30am, 11:30pm, and 2:30pm. My plan was just to go into a bike shop and let them sell me whatever is in store. However I am a little worried about safety. I would guess I'd need to find the safest route to ideally avoid narrow and busy areas of traffic. It will also get very cold later in winter, but I can tough it out. My idea of biking to work isn't for fun or exercise, but for time management. So I don't know, are there any tips for this type of thing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cheese Thief posted:

I don't know anything really about Bicycles. But I live about 4 miles from my job, and parking is a huge pain in the rear end. It involves driving to remote parking lot then taking a bus into the job site. I was hoping to ride a bike, but these riding hours range from 6:30am, 11:30pm, and 2:30pm. My plan was just to go into a bike shop and let them sell me whatever is in store. However I am a little worried about safety. I would guess I'd need to find the safest route to ideally avoid narrow and busy areas of traffic. It will also get very cold later in winter, but I can tough it out. My idea of biking to work isn't for fun or exercise, but for time management. So I don't know, are there any tips for this type of thing.

Perfect candidate for the commuting thread. But you can start the discussion -- how much do you have to spend?
Have you scouted out possible routes? Does your area have any bike paths?

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

kimbo305 posted:

Perfect candidate for the commuting thread. But you can start the discussion -- how much do you have to spend?
Have you scouted out possible routes? Does your area have any bike paths?

I just now read the OP after posting, oops. I'm moving to a new apartment this week and scoped out some roads last night about midnight in the dark. It's pretty urban, and there appears to be a few options besides the main busy road and bridge.
I really have as much to spend as I need, but my needs are pretty simple. I like the idea of a fixed gear bike.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Hi bike thread... I want to get more into biking. I lived in NYC for the last 5 years and used a beater piece of junk to get around town when I needed. I took it on a few longer rides when I was in decent shape (about 15 miles, tops), but I recently moved upstate to Saratoga Springs and I want to get an actual decent bike to start doing some longer fitness rides.

I'm looking for advice on what to get. I work from home, so I wouldn't need it to commute - just riding for pleasure and exploration. I think I'm looking for a decent road bike that won't fall apart if I have to take it on brief stretches of dirt road. It's a pretty northern climate, so I'm hoping I could find something that will handle winters decently. Once I'm more comfortable, I'd probably want to be able to hook it up to a little tow-behind for my kiddo.

I'm 5' 9" and I have a 33" inseam. I'm open to finding something used, but I'd be okay spending $500-600 bucks on something new. I've never had a nice bike before, so I'm completely clueless.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cheese Thief posted:

I just now read the OP after posting, oops. I'm moving to a new apartment this week and scoped out some roads last night about midnight in the dark. It's pretty urban, and there appears to be a few options besides the main busy road and bridge.
I really have as much to spend as I need, but my needs are pretty simple. I like the idea of a fixed gear bike.

I would say fixed gears are somewhat cheaper to maintain, but not really any easier to maintain. You have to do about the same operations for fixing a tube, replacing a chain, etc.
If your goal is to do the commute and not have to worry about the act of riding the bike as much, a normal geared bike will be a better fit. Especially if you have any hills.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you want low maintenance without the chore of fixed gear, consider a hub gear. 7 speeds is enough for pretty much anything. Also consider a belt drive bike, which eliminates the chain hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

rt4 posted:

If you want low maintenance without the chore of fixed gear, consider a hub gear. 7 speeds is enough for pretty much anything. Also consider a belt drive bike, which eliminates the chain hassle.

Do belts flex or stretch? I always assumed there would be energy losses in them.